HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Last year of contract: Dupuis, Talbot and Kennedy

Old
07-23-2010, 04:31 AM
Muscles4Malkin
Top-6 Beau

vCash: 500
Last year of contract: Dupuis, Talbot and Kennedy

Question is, do you believe these guys will play the best season of their career to get decent/good contracts money wise after next season?

Dupuis's best so far is from 2002-03, 20+28= 48 and point wise I don't believe he will crack it, but maybe +20 goals.

Talbot's best is from 2007-08 an played only 63 games scoring 12+14= 26 points.

Kennedy made in 2008-09, 15+20= 35 in 67 games! 20 goals for him isn't far from truth if stays healthy. I think he will get the biggest raise after this season IMO.

Dupuis and Talbot are UFA and Kennedy is RFA.

Last edited by Muscles4Malkin: 07-23-2010 at 09:50 AM.
Muscles4Malkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 04:55 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

We have some leverage with Talbot & Kennedy since they are still RFA. We should be able to keep them if we want. I don't think it really matters how those 2 play. Good year or bad year, I think they'll be around for a while.

Dupuis could be gone. I don't see how he stays. If he plays great, he prices himself out of town. If he plays terrible, Shero won't even want him back. Tough situation. Only way he stays is if he'll take a discount and I doubt he will at this point, but you never know.

Captain Hook is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 05:14 AM
River Man

I like all three, but honestly, if they want raises (and they probably will), I would be fine with letting them go.

Except Talbot, perhaps. I think he's good as far as team chemistry and clutch play.

I would rather use some of the money that would be saved on other things.

River Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 05:48 AM
AgentM

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Man View Post
I like all three, but honestly, if they want raises (and they probably will), I would be fine with letting them go.

Except Talbot, perhaps. I think he's good as far as team chemistry and clutch play.

Also a factor here is how well guys like Letestu and Jeffrey play in callups this season. If we can get similar quality of play from guys for half the price then I won't be upset to lose some of these guys.

Talbot and Kennedy did not play as well as they can or as well as the team needed them to last year. I hope for our sake as fans and theirs as impending FAs that they play much better this season.

AgentM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 06:29 AM
redsono93

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Man View Post

I agree would rather spend the money on a scoring winger.

redsono93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 06:41 AM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

Dupuis is as good as gone, in my opinion. Nothing personal, but I don't think he'd take a discount (and he'd need a pretty decent one, at that), and he's not worth the money he'll probably ask for to this team.

Kennedy is great, but easily replaceable. I'd keep him around if he re-signed around the same price, but a raise means he can walk. We have guys in WBS who can do his job just as well.

Talbot, I'd keep around though. I love the guy, and biased or not he's a huge part of the team chemistry and his performance in the playoffs last season earned him a free pass for life in my book.

Next summer should be fun. This was the summer of defensive upgrades, and I think next season we'll finally see Shero go after a long-term solution at wing.

Coach John McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 07:51 AM
Penguinzilla

"Last year of contract: Dupuis"

Penguinzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 07:55 AM
oshjo75

Keep Talbot, the rest can walk.

oshjo75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 07:58 AM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

??? Worst use of smileys ever. I'd rather have -assuming other positions are filled correctly- Dupuis playing on my third line than TK, and by not a small margin. I don't think people fully appreciate what a good 3rd line player he is. The only reason he struggles here sometimes is because he is mis-used. Not like he's out there dogging it or making stupid plays. Dupuis is a good hockey player and if we can move TK and other spare parts to keep him, I would. He just doesn't belong in the Top 6, that's all.

As for playing well in a contract year, I wouldn't be surprised if these three all have decent years. All players tend to pick it up a notch in those situations. Best of career? That would be as much luck as a function of contract year. Coaches, injuries, etc all play a role. Ultimately I think we're more likely to trade Dupuis in the spring than let him go for free; he's someone that can be packaged for a really good player.

Last edited by Darth Vitale: 07-23-2010 at 08:06 AM.
Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 08:01 AM
River Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsono93 View Post
I agree would rather spend the money on a scoring winger.
Bingo

River Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 08:19 AM
Der Schweinehund

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkochalek View Post
I'd rather have -assuming other positions are filled correctly- Dupuis playing on my third line than TK, and by not a small margin. I don't think people fully appreciate what a good 3rd line player he is. The only reason he struggles here sometimes is because he is mis-used. Not like he's out there dogging it or making stupid plays. Dupuis is a good hockey player and if we can move TK and other spare parts to keep him, I would. He just doesn't belong in the Top 6, that's all.

I really love this point. He's such an easy target to pick on being on the top 2 lines. But he is very responsible and effective in the bottom 2. The guy has done virtually everything asked of him in his time here, especially being asked to play outside of his element constantly.

That said, I really like Kennedy and would be tough to let him go.

For me, I really am not spending a lot of time / concern about all three of these. Whatever happens, happens.

Der Schweinehund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 08:25 AM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Yah, I'm not worried about it. We have guys in our system would could reasonably replace all three of those guys this year and next. Jeffrey, Letestu, Johnson. I don't think any will have Duper's speed or defensive tenacity (or the charisma of a superstar like Talbot) but no roster is perfect.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 08:39 AM
purplecow

vCash: 400
im pretty sure Talbot is an UFA...

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/cap-central/team.php?team=PIT

purplecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 08:41 AM
Fordy
the kid signify

I can only hope that they play out of their minds, especially if we want to go far in the playoffs.

Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 08:47 AM
TravisUlrich
Eternal Optimist

We always talk about our weak wingers in the top 6 but we actually have a really, really solid roster of bottom 6 players. And that's not meant to be snarky or a slight against us, I think it's a really good thing to have in the Playoffs but at this point we have WBS players that can step in on the bottom 6 next season so for all three of these guys, they either need to improve their play and move up to legitimate top 6 forwards or take a pay cut. The possible exception being Talbot. If he can take Staal's spot on the 3rd line, allowing Jordan to move up onto the 2nd then that would warrant keeping him and giving him a little raise.

TravisUlrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 08:55 AM
Muscles4Malkin
Top-6 Beau

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplecow View Post
Well I use this all the time so... http://www.nhlnumbers.com/overview.p...IT&season=1011

Which one is correct then?

Old
07-23-2010, 09:00 AM
PensPlz

Send a message via Skype™ to PensPlz
Like it or not.... Talbot = City of Pittsburgh hero. Would be bad mojo to let him get away as long as the price is reasonable.

The other two.... don't really care. I would see if I could sign Kennedy's girlfriend as an ice girl though before he goes.

PensPlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 09:10 AM
Amanda71

Send a message via MSN to Amanda71
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentM View Post
Talbot and Kennedy did not play as well as they can or as well as the team needed them to last year. I hope for our sake as fans and theirs as impending FAs that they play much better this season.
To be fair to Talbot, he had shoulder surgery after the playoffs and didn't come back until December (I think.. or maybe it was January..?). Either way, he wasn't able to get the same training time in. I'm sure he took him a while before he felt comfortable back on the ice.

I'm sure this season, Talbot will look like a different player than he did last season. He said in an interview that he's going to Halifax to train with Crosby for a couple of days. And I'm sure now that his shoulder is fully healed and everyone has had some time off, we'll see a new team come October. I like Kennedy and Dupuis, but I think Talbot comes first as far as signing goes. If we have to let one of them go to keep him, so be it. Talbot is an extremely clutch guy and has always come through for us in the playoffs, where it matters the most.

Amanda71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 09:14 AM
BrOrpik 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensPlz View Post
Like it or not.... Talbot = City of Pittsburgh hero. Would be bad mojo to let him get away as long as the price is reasonable.

The other two.... don't really care. I would see if I could sign Kennedy's girlfriend as an ice girl though before he goes.
I think this too, Talbot is revered in this city and he's a really good guy to have in the locker room, unless he catches on fire he shouldn't get that much of a raise and I hope (and think) Shero will re-sign him.

Kennedy is another bottom 6er I wish we could re-sign, he's a really good fit with Cooke on the 3rd line and they both provide some much needed grit and scoring prowess there.

Dupuis is probably going to get a nice raise and he's a really good bottom 6 fit, and using that amount of money on a bottom 6er (unless it's Staal or a really good center) is sadly money you can't spend in a cap world.

I bet Talbot and Kennedy gets signed back in the burgh, and Dupuis walks.

BrOrpik 44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 09:14 AM
Final8758

I'd like to see Kennedy back, but Talbot has to stay, his SCF game7 performance + great attitude makes me hope he'll be a career pen. :p

EDIT: Could Shero sign him on a frontloaded contract till Talbots 40's for 750k cap hit?

Final8758 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 09:19 AM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

Woah, woah, woah... Pump the brakes. I think we're forgetting something here.

Coach John McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 09:28 AM
Muscles4Malkin
Top-6 Beau

For me personally.. Talbot is the guy I don't want to see in any other team. If Talbot want's 1.5 million after this season, pay it Shero. But if he has a bad season (what I don't think he will) then let him go, if someone is willing to pay him close to 2 million.

Remember, superstar treatment!

Old
07-23-2010, 09:29 AM
HandshakeLine
is probso trolling u

Max Talbot is the most overrated player here since Ryan Malone. I think he's a great guy, and a heart and soul player, but let's not act like he's the second coming of Joe Sakic.

All there are decent, complimentary players that many teams might very well overpay for come the off-season. I'd probably rank them thus in terms of overall skill:

Dupuis
Talbot
Kennedy.

Kennedy I think is the most replacable, plus there's serious concerns about his durability. Talbot is the grittiest, but Dupuis has shown the most consistent ability to at least get some pucks into the net. But Kennedy and Talbot being young players from our system, they get a rabid following here that's going to be sorely disappointed when one or both leave. Dupuis is the one though, that probably most teams around the league would covet, and for good reason-- he's better than the other two and more versatile.

HandshakeLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 09:30 AM
Der Schweinehund

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscles4Malkin View Post
Well I use this all the time so... http://www.nhlnumbers.com/overview.p...IT&season=1011

Which one is correct then?

Personally, I go with CapGeek.com. They have almost instantaneous updates of changes.

http://www.capgeek.com/charts.php?Team=26

So according to them, he is a UFA.

Der Schweinehund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 09:45 AM
Kunitziwa

vCash: 200
Send a message via AIM to Kunitziwa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkochalek View Post
??? Worst use of smileys ever. I'd rather have -assuming other positions are filled correctly- Dupuis playing on my third line than TK, and by not a small margin. I don't think people fully appreciate what a good 3rd line player he is. The only reason he struggles here sometimes is because he is mis-used. Not like he's out there dogging it or making stupid plays. Dupuis is a good hockey player and if we can move TK and other spare parts to keep him, I would. He just doesn't belong in the Top 6, that's all.

As for playing well in a contract year, I wouldn't be surprised if these three all have decent years. All players tend to pick it up a notch in those situations. Best of career? That would be as much luck as a function of contract year. Coaches, injuries, etc all play a role. Ultimately I think we're more likely to trade Dupuis in the spring than let him go for free; he's someone that can be packaged for a really good player.
Talbot and Kennedy can't possibly do any worse than last year. Both struggled through the season with injuries. I like Dupuis but he is the biggest candidate for a drop off simply because hes the only one of the three who had a good year last year. I'm indifferent as to who we keep of those three. They all have some good qualities worth retaining, but if we can improve Shero can and will do so.

Kunitziwa is offline   Reply With Quote