HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Last year of contract: Dupuis, Talbot and Kennedy

Old
07-26-2010, 10:59 AM
JTG

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
It isn't just Talbot, Dupuis, and Kennedy that are up for new contracts. Rupp, Adams, and Godard could all be gone too.

I suspect Kennedy will be retained, possibly Talbot too, and the rest will part ways. We just have too many guys in WBS that seem to fill those holes - Jeffrey, Vitale, Letestu, and Johnson all project as solid bottom 6ers.
If Staal gets moved up the top 6, the only bottom 6 player we have under contract next season is Cooke. Kennedy, Rupp, Adams, Godard, and Talbot are all up for new deals.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 11:11 AM
froods
Millerrrrrrr!!!

Im gonna go out on a limb and say Despres is a Pen next year. That means we have 6 forwards, 7 D-Men, and 2 Goalies for almost $53 million dollars. If the cap remains the same that would leave around 6.6 to sign 7 forwards.

froods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 11:11 AM
Ugene Malkin
Hello Mr. Andersen

Quote:
It isn't just Talbot, Dupuis, and Kennedy that are up for new contracts. Rupp, Adams, and Godard could all be gone too.

I suspect Kennedy will be retained, possibly Talbot too, and the rest will part ways. We just have too many guys in WBS that seem to fill those holes - Jeffrey, Vitale, Letestu, and Johnson all project as solid bottom 6ers.

Don't forget that these three are RFA as well.

There will be some big decisions next year relating to the bottom six.

Ugene Malkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 11:13 AM
JTG

If those 3 get anything more than 0.650 NHL salary, I'll be shocked

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 11:35 AM
Ugene Malkin
Hello Mr. Andersen

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG32005 View Post
If those 3 get anything more than 0.650 NHL salary, I'll be shocked
What I would be shocked with more is, if they would load up the rest of the bottom six with their home grown prospects.

Cooke owns one of them, and I think one is taken partly by a Godard resigning. Hoping at .700 for a couple years more.

Other than that, I think the bottom six roster is wide open for guys to win jobs in 11/12 from their play in 10/11, including Kennedy.

I would think they either try to keep, or bring in at least two more NHLer's.

Ugene Malkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 11:51 AM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVP View Post
You're right. If he's in the top 6 and plays close to a full season he should be around 20 goals and 25 assists. That would get him in the 3M range in court.
If Kennedy could put up that year it would be very comparable to Mason Raymond who got awarded 2.55 for 2 years. It's pretty crazy when you consider Clarke MacArthur got awarded 2.4.

Quote:

I'd probably let Dupuis and Adams go. Vitale should be able to fill in Adams role. I'd give Godard a moderate raise to 800k for 2 years. Rupp is a tough one, it depends how the prospects look. If Talbot isn't too expensive I'd definitely try and re-sign him because he's a great team guy and can fill a lot of roles.

wej20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 01:26 PM
GlenngarryGlencross
Get the chalk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Martin View Post
What I would be shocked with more is, if they would load up the rest of the bottom six with their home grown prospects.

Cooke owns one of them, and I think one is taken partly by a Godard resigning. Hoping at .700 for a couple years more.
Shero has an eye for bottom 6 talent, I wouldn't worry if some of those guys walk because I believe he can replace them. We have young guys ready and he'll be able to pluck a few UFA if necessary.

Have you seen what big name enforcers are getting paid these days? Godard is likely gone, to be replaced by a cheaper model or we'll stupidly overpay like Philly or NYR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Martin View Post
Don't forget that these three are RFA as well.

There will be some big decisions next year relating to the bottom six.
Eh, none of them will have leverage beyond basic 1-2 year league minimum-ish deals. It's more a matter of who wins a spot and what UFAs are brought in (if any).

Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
I'd probably let Dupuis and Adams go. Vitale should be able to fill in Adams role. I'd give Godard a moderate raise to 800k for 2 years. Rupp is a tough one, it depends how the prospects look. If Talbot isn't too expensive I'd definitely try and re-sign him because he's a great team guy and can fill a lot of roles.
If he plays a full season and handles himself against the likes of Boogaard and Shelley throughout the year, Godard is going to be expensive. Goons with some level of brand recognition are getting paid big it seems, Godard will likely be the same. If we could re-sign him under 900k I'd be pretty happy (even though I ultimately hate the idea of goons taking roster spots).

I think we on this board (and probably Pens fans in general) overrate Talbot to an extent and management does not see him the same way, which they shouldn't. Shero seemed to indicate that big things are expected of Max and he needs to cement that 3rd line center role if it's available. Otherwise, I really think they would not pony up for a raise.

GlenngarryGlencross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 01:32 PM
froods
Millerrrrrrr!!!

if Adams signs for 550K again.....I would sign him to another 2 years deal

froods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 08:24 AM
AquaticBirdman

I wouldn't at all be surprised if all 3 of them are let go. Duppers in my opinion is almost a sure bet to get a pay raise elsewhere, while I could see us potentially trading Talbot's rights. The team may however opt to hang on to TK for a few more years seeing as how the guy does actually have some offensive potential to his game (when healthy that is), and the fact that he is another important piece of that 3rd line. I do however think that Talbot and Duppers can pretty effectively be replaced by younger, cheaper call ups from the minors though.

AquaticBirdman is offline   Reply With Quote