HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Sami Salo...injured again during summer training (achilles tendon busted)

Old
07-23-2010, 09:47 AM
Pepper

vCash: 500
He was injured during summer training, it was not like he was doing motocross or MMA when the injury happened. Many players play rollerhockey or something during the off-season.

So he still counts against Nucks salary cap but when the season starts he can be placed on LTIR immediately.

Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 09:48 AM
Pascha

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacemaker View Post
But if he hurts himself off the ice, in a non sanctioned training activity, the Canucks are not on the hook for his salary, correct?
This is a non hockey injury is it not?
I worry less about his salary and more about that fact that our powerplay just lost its #1 point man for 4 months.

Pascha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 10:01 AM
BerSTUzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascha View Post
I worry less about his salary and more about that fact that our powerplay just lost its #1 point man for 4 months.
I guess Hamhuis will get the PP time he's beeing waiting for, Hoffer was our #1 man last year.

BerSTUzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 10:04 AM
FuzzyTitus

Erhoff and Edler was our #1 producing PP unit, but Salo was on the #1 unit. We will need to trade Bieksa for a NHL Ready RH Defenseman, preferably an offensive 3rd-pairing d-man who can be demoted.

FuzzyTitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 10:04 AM
JAK

I don't know whether to be happy that Bieksa will be staying with the Canucks, or sad that Sami Salo will be out for a couple months.

Looks like our options are opened up right away, and Gillis won't be forced to make a move at least until Salo returns.

JAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 10:10 AM
Tarot Sport*

not a huge fan of Salo, and this loosens our cap collar a little

certainly not good news though

Tarot Sport* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 10:12 AM
Interior Cascadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana Murzyn View Post
Ready? Aaaand, go:

*deep breath*

And done. Phew!
Is that last leg injury when he ruptured his testicle?

Also factor in the snake bite on the golf course a few years ago... off the books. I genuinely feel awful for this guy.

Interior Cascadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 10:12 AM
wholesickcrew

From the original source, via google translate:

Quote:
Disability will be aware of Salo
Disability has long been aware of Salo.

wholesickcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 10:13 AM
Balls Mahoney
The Tryamkin Era!!!

Could we please move on from this circus? I'm so sick of the hourly Salo injury report. Even though I like Salo a lot as a player and a person, I'll be happy when we finally move on and Salo retires.

Balls Mahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 10:31 AM
Falconator

Great player when in the line-up, but I'll be happy when his time here is done. If he starts the year on the Long Term Injury List the Canucks can go over the cap what they are paying him, so that's a positive. Much like Demitra last year.

Falconator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 10:31 AM
Reign Nateo

Salo is the type of guy we have to view as a luxury. Looks like the Canucks will be doing the right thing and relying on him less. He's a solid contributor, but you can't count on him being in the line-up every night. No sense in trading him though. He'll equate to one of the better bottom pairing guys in the league for this team, when healthy.

Reign Nateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 10:36 AM
Nuckles
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ ( ͡ ᴥ͡)

vCash: 50
why cant we just put Salo in a body cast?

Nuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 10:37 AM
Kid_Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuckles37 View Post
why cant we just put Salo in a body cast?
Skin allergies.

Kid_Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 10:40 AM
keslehr*

Dammmit Salo! Although it's far from unexpected, haha. Hopefully he doesn't miss too much time.

keslehr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 10:43 AM
Bleach Clean

I'm ok with Salo going on the IR until Jan/Feb. Far better than him retiring. He's still probably one of the best DMen this team has. In a shutdown capacity, there would be no one I'd trust more, save Mitchell of course.

Get well soon Salo.

Bleach Clean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 10:47 AM
Uhmkay
Weber2Canucks2013

I'm not 100% positive how the cap situation works in this situation, so perhaps someone could correct me, but with Salo being on LTIR for possibly the first 2 months of the season, what type of action would need to be taken to hold onto both of them until the trade deadline and still be able to sign Raymond to likely a 3-3.5m deal?

The reason I ask is A) We need to have a RH dman, Bieksa fills that void and B) we could trade one of them at the trade deadline as the demand and price teams are willing to pay at that time are much higher. With Malhotra being on the third line, likely with Hodgson, we still need one more player on that line which could be part of the package we get at the deadline (Plus a prospect).

Is there any chance that Schroeder makes the team on a line with Kesler and Raymond? Long shot maybe? This could give us the opportunity to put Burrows down on the third line with Hodgson and Malhotra?

Just throwing some ideas around as this Salo situation kinda changes the situation of the team a bit.

Uhmkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 10:49 AM
24CheckingCross

Salo will end his career with the nucks, no NHL would in their right mind sign him next season. he might be able to get a job in the Finnish league for a year or two. as far as panicking and quickly trading someone to get a short term replacement i dont think it's necessary. Alberts and Rome can step in and alternate in the No. 6 spot. Assuming Bieksa gets traded, which he has to. Also this will give some new Manitoba talent to come in and fight for a spot. he will be missed but we'll have to learn to live without his services for good this time.

Last edited by 24CheckingCross: 07-23-2010 at 10:51 AM. Reason: nor is Salo tradeable at any point this season.
24CheckingCross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 10:54 AM
ItsAllPartOfThePlan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhmkay View Post
I'm not 100% positive how the cap situation works in this situation, so perhaps someone could correct me, but with Salo being on LTIR for possibly the first 2 months of the season, what type of action would need to be taken to hold onto both of them until the trade deadline and still be able to sign Raymond to likely a 3-3.5m deal?

The reason I ask is A) We need to have a RH dman, Bieksa fills that void and B) we could trade one of them at the trade deadline as the demand and price teams are willing to pay at that time are much higher. With Malhotra being on the third line, likely with Hodgson, we still need one more player on that line which could be part of the package we get at the deadline (Plus a prospect).

Is there any chance that Schroeder makes the team on a line with Kesler and Raymond? Long shot maybe? This could give us the opportunity to put Burrows down on the third line with Hodgson and Malhotra?

Just throwing some ideas around as this Salo situation kinda changes the situation of the team a bit.
I don't think this injury changes anything much. Our top 4 are set with edler, ehrhoff, ballard and hamhuis. Salo was on the 3rd pairing with rome/alberts/sob and bieksa was supposed to be traded.

If anything, one or Rome/alberts/Sob stays a canuck for a while longer.

Edit - Dream scenario...trade one of Alberts/SOB and sign Mitchell for the 3rd pairing.

ItsAllPartOfThePlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 10:55 AM
PRNuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhmkay View Post

I think Schroeder and Hodgson will both make life very difficult on the decision makers this training camp, I expect both to make a very strong case to make the team. If Burr isn't ready to start the season, and Sammy is moved up to play with the twins, it wouldn't surprise me at all to see one of the prospects on Kes's line.

*edit* Forgot what thread this is, sorry for temporary derailment.

PRNuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 10:58 AM
CRDragon
\_(シ)_/

Tough luck for Salo. I'd say still trade Bieksa and sign Mitchell to a discount if he is willing.

CRDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 11:01 AM
The Cowboy Poet

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRDragon View Post
Tough luck for Salo. I'd say still trade Bieksa and sign Mitchell to a discount if he is willing.
If Mitchell is healthy, I agree. If you can sign him for less than 3 million, maybe you use the extra savings and sign a proper 4th line centre?

The Cowboy Poet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 11:03 AM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

vCash: 50
If this means bieksa won't get traded, I might ****ing flip

Lucbourdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 11:04 AM
Karl Hungus

Part of what makes Salo's injuries so frustrating is that he's so valuable when he's in the lineup. The prospect of starting next season with Bieksa instead of Salo makes me a little weary.

However, it's starting to become the norm for Gilis's teams to start the season with some holes that will get plugged later on. First it was Sundin, then it was Demitra. I wouldn't be surprised if Salo doesn't come back into the lineup until well after Christmas. This gives Salo time to rest up for the stretch drive with probably some vacation rehab back home in Finland. We can probably win the division without him but will need him healthy to get past the better teams in the West.

By starting the season short handed it also gives other players the opportunity to play larger minutes/roles when the stakes are the lowest. This seems like another clever way to bend the cap and give an older player some much needed time off from the long grind of the regular season.

Karl Hungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 11:06 AM
ddawg1950

A torn achilles tendon is very difficult to recover from...and given Sami's history, it's not like he's a quick healer. Poor guy. I think he'll end his career like Robocop.

ddawg1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 11:08 AM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg1950 View Post
A torn achilles tendon is very difficult to recover from...and given Sami's history, it's not like he's a quick healer. Poor guy. I think he'll end his career like Robocop.
Plus the fact he'll be 36 years old before the season starts. Those are some pretty big obstacles.

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote