HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Sami Salo...injured again during summer training (achilles tendon busted)

Old
07-23-2010, 01:48 PM
VanEric

vCash: 500
Sometimes things happen that make you just sit back and laugh. This is one of those things. Sami Salo must have clubbed a baby seal in a past life or something. The man has no luck at all.

VanEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 01:48 PM
rban*

U've got a Dman who makes too much for what he provides (Bieksa), and two injured Dmen (Mitchell and Salo).

All need to be got rid of. Sign Ehrhoff long term, build ur D around Edler-Ehrhoff-Hamhuis-Ballard.

SOB and Alberts are plenty good enough for 5th and 6th. You dont need a 3 million dollar man for a 5th, nobody does that , it's ridiculous! 5th and 6th should never be paid more than 1.5 mil, 2 mil at most!

<xcept Philly this year, and they shouldnt be doing it either... they shoulda skipped the Meszaros step and used that cash for goaltending>

rban* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 01:49 PM
Bieksallent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi-wayman View Post
If we do offer a contract to Mitchell, I think he could easily play until he's 35 or 36. I suggest offing him a 3 year contract: $2.75M year one, $1.75M year two & $500K year three. Cap hit: $1.67M per year
The problem with that is all it takes is one more headshot or Malkin special and he's done for good. I'd agree with the thought that until a doctor has cleared him, you have to believe there are still symptoms.

Bieksallent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 01:50 PM
rye&ginger

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacemaker View Post
Sorry to sound ruthless here...

But if he hurts himself off the ice, in a non sanctioned training activity, the Canucks are not on the hook for his salary, correct?
This is a non hockey injury is it not?

How does this effect our cap situation as it relates to Salo?
Likely the Canucks will cover this as a training injury. Its not like he was doing something reckless. He was playing floor hockey after all. Cross training sports are usually encouraged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Until a doctor or a team comes out and declares Mitchell healthy, I think it should be assumed that he isn't.
For sure. Seems like he is not submitting to medical tests or releasing results, otherwise we would be hearing about him being on the market/getting interest. The ball is in his court.

rye&ginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 01:50 PM
Kip96

Quote:
Originally Posted by struckmatch View Post
SOB has shown he can at least skate and not be a complete pylon on the ice against the quicker forwards in the league.

Here's the way I see it:

O'Brien - Big physical forwards, check. Quick speedy forwards, check. He's more mobile than Alberts.

Alberts - Big physical forwards, check. Quick speedy forwards, liability to take many holding penalties or simply get beaten and taken out of position.

The difference in salary is a definite reason to look at dumping O'Brien instead of Alberts, I totally get that.
Albert vs SOB is an interesting debate

Ability - SOB
Salary - Alberts
Dumb penaties - both (Alberts because he's slow, SOB because he seems to have a bad rep)

I don't think we've seen enough of Alberts yet to get a fair assessment. He was good in Carolina so maybe he didn't figure out Vancouver's system fast enough? I like SOB more but can we trust him? He seems to party too much and fight with the coaches but is liked in the dressing room. Its a tough call

Kip96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 01:54 PM
Kid Canuck*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi-wayman View Post
If we do offer a contract to Mitchell, I think he could easily play until he's 35 or 36. I suggest offing him a 3 year contract: $2.75M year one, $1.75M year two & $500K year three. Cap hit: $1.67M per year
A 3 year contract to a guy with a history of concussions??? There isn't 1 GM in the league who would do that. Actually if Derek Boogaard can get 1.625 for 4 straight seasons and Phil Kessel can be traded for Tyler Seguin, Jered Knight, and a 1st rounder the next season there is at least 2 GM's who may offer Mitchell a contract like that

Salo should do everyone a favor and retire.

Kid Canuck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 02:00 PM
Waveburner
RIP Luc

This sucks, but Bieksa still needs to go.

Ignore the money issues. Bieksa is a dumb hockey player who has regressed badly over the last 3 seasons. He makes horrible on-ice decisions and generally speaking, great teams don't carry dumb players. Medicore players sometimes, but rarely stupid ones. Dumping Bieksa is an absolute necessity, especially because Vigneault and Bowness want his babies and will likely continue to feed him top four or even top two minutes.

If Bieksa isn't dumped this offseason then I honestly don't know what the **** Gillis was watching when Bieksa was on the ice, because it sure as **** wasn't the game.

Waveburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 02:25 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganja View Post
This is the most frustrating argument in the hockey world. I hate people who either can't or refuse to understand this concept.
It does not help when you have "professional hockey writers" spouting the same nonsense. Posters cite the article as proof they are correct.

I got fed up at one point and complained to the Province sports editor about his idiot writer who was clueless on how the LTIR and cap worked.

He assured me it would be brought to the attention of said writer.

Quote:
Jim Jamieson's article of 2 October 2007‏

Sent: October 2, 2007 2:08:19 PM
To: provsports@png.canwest.com

Here was Jamieson's brilliant analysis of the Canucks cap position and how Salo's injury impacts the cap:

With Mason Raymond starting the season in Vancouver, his NHL salary of $635,000 will be added to the Canucks' salary-cap hit. Including Raymond and Edler ($550,000), the salary total climbs to $47.585 million. However, if Salo's injury keeps him out more than 10 games, the Canucks can get cap relief. The NHL cap is $50.3 million.
http://www.canada.com/theprovince/news/spo...7d-0dec0325e0b1

UHHHH NO...., that is not how it works.

First off the requirements to be considered a bona fide long term injury are that the player has to be out for a minimum of 24 days AND 10 games. Oh yeah and that is during the regular season.

Secondly the Canucks get no cap relief for a bona fide long term injury until they have hit the upper salary cap level. The they can go over by the value of the replacement salary. The salary of both the injured player and his replacement continue to count against the cap until the upper limit is reached.

Even if you are incapable of reading the CBA which sets this out in detail, the NHL is kind enough to provide a summary:

CLUB PAYROLLS

What will be the range of Club payrolls?

The payroll range in Year One (2005-06) of the CBA will be $21.5 million (U.S.) at the lower limit and $39 million (U.S.) at the upper limit. A Club's payroll will include all salaries, signing bonuses and performance bonuses paid to players. Except in the case of bona fide long-term injury (injuries that sideline a player for a minimum of 24 days and 10 games) to one or more of a club's players, Club payrolls will never be permitted to be below the minimum or in excess of the maximum. Clubs at or near the upper limit that have players who incur a bona fide long-term injury will be entitled to replace up to the full value of the injured player's NHL salary (even if such salary would result in the club's team salary exceeding the upper limit). The "replacement salary" will not count against the club's upper limit but will count against the League-wide players' share. Upon return of the injured player, the team must come into immediate compliance with the requirements of the payroll range.
http://www.nhl.com/nhlhq/cba/index.html

Perhaps a noobie fan may not understand this but an "expert" sports reporter should know this sort of very basic stuff.

With reporters like this spewing out misinformation as if they actually know what they are talking about , is it now wonder that the average fan who does not take the time to check things out him/herself then parrots this bunk?

I would have expected better.
And the response:
Quote:
RE: Jim Jamieson's article of 2 October 2007‏
From: McDonald, Jonathan (VAN_Exchange) (jmcdonald@png.canwest.com)

Sent: October 2, 2007 2:53:20 PM

To: wetcoaster

Cc: Jamieson, Jim (VAN_Exchange) (JJamieson@png.canwest.com); Jason Botchford Home (E-mail) (jasebotchford@gmail.com); Ben Kuzma (E-mail) (benkuzma@hotmail.com)

Hey Wet Coaster.

Thanks for both your constructive and interestingly worded note.

It's been forwarded not only to Jim, but to my other "expert" hockey writers.

Jonathan McDonald
Sports Editor
The Province
200 Granville St., Suite 1
Vancouver, B.C. V6M 1H6
604-605-2462
jmcdonald@png.canwest.com
www.theprovince.com
Jonny Mac and I have regular exchanges now on such issues. I am still waiting for a job offer.

It happened yesterday again with Province's Jim Jamieson and his claim the Canucks could walk away from the Hansen arbitral award.
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?p...n#post27057871

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 02:27 PM
metric

They should just hire Wet as a consultant.

What are the requirements to be a sports reporter in this town? Can't be too tough judging by the crap the Sun and Province employ. I should try applying.

metric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 02:29 PM
King of Anarchy

What makes people think that Kevin Bieksa is now safe? Sami Salo being out for a couple of weeks to start the season won’t impact the salary enough to keep him and fit Mason Raymond and possibly Cody Hodgson.

King of Anarchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 02:29 PM
rye&ginger

hah nice, Wet.

rye&ginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 02:36 PM
VanEric

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Anarchy View Post
What makes people think that Kevin Bieksa is now safe? Sami Salo being out for a couple of weeks to start the season won’t impact the salary enough to keep him and fit Mason Raymond and possibly Cody Hodgson.
I don't see this changing Gillis plans much at all. You don't want to get into a situation where in a few months when Salo is healthy, everyone knows you need to move Bieksa's contract.

VanEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 02:37 PM
Hollywood Burrows

Quote:
Originally Posted by checksix View Post
They should just hire Wet as a consultant.

What are the requirements to be a sports reporter in this town? Can't be too tough judging by the crap the Sun and Province employ. I should try applying.
It seems that in many NHL cities bloggers are gradually replacing the old generation of beat writers as the go-to guys, especially for analytics and salary cap talk. The Oilers blogosphere is a great example, clearly much better and more informed than their print counterparts. That doesn't seem to be happening in Vancouver quite yet, not sure why.

Wetcoaster would be a good candidate to write a solid Canucks blog in the vein of something like lowetide or mc79hockey.

Hollywood Burrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 02:38 PM
Opus

vCash: 50
Sami Salo...

Poor guy can't catch a break (pardon the pun).

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 02:55 PM
parabola
Global Moderator
novus ordo seclorum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus View Post
Sami Salo...

Poor guy can't catch a break (pardon the pun).
Go troll elsewhere Opus

We call him glassman for a reason.

07-23-2010, 02:57 PM
Jobal

Poor Sami. Amazingly, the man has still managed to play 700+ NHL games (including playoff games), and has never had a minus season in the regular season.

Imagine if he hadn't had these freak injures (snakebite on the golf course). He probably would have made the all-star team once or twice.

Jobal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 03:00 PM
Wetcoaster

So did you hear about the one where Willie Mitchell and Casey Printers are sitting around joking about how injury prone Salo is??

Old
07-23-2010, 03:08 PM
struckmatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
So did you hear about the one where Willie Mitchell and Casey Printers are sitting around joking about how injury prone Salo is??
Buck Pierce and Pavol Demitra were the punchline right?

struckmatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 03:11 PM
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas

vCash: 796
I hope Canucks still trade Bieksa, Salo's injury may actually help that process.

Probably time to sign a right handed UFA dman on the cheap as insurance - Mike Weaver anyone? I always thought he was solid, definitely doesn't fit the profile though - possibly the shortest dman in the NHL.

Anyway, there's at least 20 RH dmen that are still UFA.

Outside99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 03:21 PM
PRNuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
It does not help when you have "professional hockey writers" spouting the same nonsense. Posters cite the article as proof they are correct.

I got fed up at one point and complained to the Province sports editor about his idiot writer who was clueless on how the LTIR and cap worked.

He assured me it would be brought to the attention of said writer.

And the response:

Jonny Mac and I have regular exchanges now on such issues. I am still waiting for a job offer.

It happened yesterday again with Province's Jim Jamieson and his claim the Canucks could walk away from the Hansen arbitral award.
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?p...n#post27057871
Lol I like how it includes Botch and Kuzma's home email addresses. I'm going to start sending them hilarious forwards.

PRNuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 04:23 PM
King of Anarchy

Depending on how long Salo is out for, I’d trade Bieksa for a pick & prospect and sign a cheap guy to fill in for him until he gets back.

Not that Aaron Rome can't do the job, because he can.

King of Anarchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 04:29 PM
EpochLink
Canucks and Jets fan

Awesome teammate, great competitor and awesome player on our blueline..

This guy just has the worst luck

EpochLink is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 04:31 PM
Shareefruck

Have we seen what Bieksa's capable of as a #5 guy who doesn't get a ton of minutes?

Is this lineup viable?

Sedin - Sedin - Samuelsson
Raymond - Kesler - Schroeder/Hodgson
Burrows - Malhotra - Hansen
Bolduc - 4th line center - Oreskovich
Glass/Rypien

Ballard - Ehrhoff
Edler - Hamhuis
O'Brien - Mitchell
Rome

Luongo
Schneider

and if Salo comes back late in the season,

Ballard - Ehrhoff
Edler - Hamhuis
Mitchell - Salo (or is this a pipe-dream?)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus View Post
[/SIZE]
Why would anyone upload a video of glass-breaking sounds?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kip96 View Post
Albert vs SOB is an interesting debate

Ability - SOB
Salary - Alberts
Dumb penaties - both (Alberts because he's slow, SOB because he seems to have a bad rep)

I don't think we've seen enough of Alberts yet to get a fair assessment. He was good in Carolina so maybe he didn't figure out Vancouver's system fast enough? I like SOB more but can we trust him? He seems to party too much and fight with the coaches but is liked in the dressing room. Its a tough call
I don't think it's a tough decision at all. I think we're too hard on SOB. Attitude/penalties aside, as a 1.6 million dollar #5/6 defenseman, he was outplaying Bieksa for stretches and seemed to have no problem temporarily stepping into a top 4 role. He's a physical, defensively capable (under the right circumstances) guy who doesn't panic and is good at moving the puck out of his own end. That's really good value, IMO. Alberts is a walking trainwreck making decent money. If he's not gone, I'm going to be pissed.

Last edited by Shareefruck: 07-23-2010 at 04:36 PM.
Shareefruck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 04:37 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRNuck View Post
Lol I like how it includes Botch and Kuzma's home email addresses. I'm going to start sending them hilarious forwards.
Email addresses for all the Province editors, writers and columnists as well as execs and others are listed at the website.
http://www.theprovince.com/about-the...contactus.html

Old
07-23-2010, 04:58 PM
Canuckee

Globaltvbc on the morning news reported as 3 months happened in June - so Gillis knew this but did not tell the fans about it.

edit: it was found on cdc so it is unlikely to be true

Last edited by Canuckee: 07-23-2010 at 05:27 PM.
Canuckee is offline   Reply With Quote