HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sami Salo...injured again during summer training (achilles tendon busted)

Old
07-24-2010, 12:07 PM
cc

vCash: 500
Bieksa is far from being as bad as people say here.
he's understandably a bit shy in the corners due to his freakish injuries but he is capable of being a top end dman.
IMO, the most compelling reason to trade Bieksa is his salary which no longer really fits on this team. If the Canucks had the cap room, I'd like Bieksa to stay at least until the midseason. I expect him to be able to increase his stock in his contract year.

cc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2010, 12:16 PM
The Big Foot

I hate this, I'm almost talking myself into Bieksa for another year...ugh.

If Salo is on LTIR until December, and we trade for Bieksa for about 1.5 mil coming back (so 2.25 savings), would we have enough room to sign Mitchell for say 2.5 mil? I'm still not clear on how LTIR affects our cap situation, sorry if its already been talked about a ton..(don't want to sift through anymore posts claiming Bieksa can play forward).

The Big Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2010, 12:21 PM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

Did Salo sleep with Lady Luck's sister or something? My lord, this guy just cannot catch a break. At this point glass may be more durable than he is.

Well hope the best for you Salo and for the love of all that is holy, stay in bed and do not move!

Bourne Endeavor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2010, 12:21 PM
tantalum

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Foot View Post
I hate this, I'm almost talking myself into Bieksa for another year...ugh.

If Salo is on LTIR until December, and we trade for Bieksa for about 1.5 mil coming back (so 2.25 savings), would we have enough room to sign Mitchell for say 2.5 mil? I'm still not clear on how LTIR affects our cap situation, sorry if its already been talked about a ton..(don't want to sift through anymore posts claiming Bieksa can play forward).
LTIR does nothing to the cap situation. A player on LTIR still counts towards the cap. However, you are allowed to have a replacement player take the injured players place and not count against the cap if the replacement player does not have a bigger cap hit than the injured player. But that is only for when the injured player is on LTIR. Once off the replacement player would begin counting against the cap if not sent down/moved.

tantalum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2010, 12:22 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRNuck View Post
You know that Gillis signed Joel Perrault to a one way contract less than 3 hours into free agency right?
Perrault and Tambellini are likely to be the top line players on the Moose with Shirokov.

LickTheEnvelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2010, 01:04 PM
Andre Boudrias

Send a message via MSN to Andre Boudrias
I say....

Trade Bieksa for virtually nothing, Sign Mitchell to a 2 yea r- 4M Deal...

Salo is always getting injured, I expected this to happen. Even with a Re-Vamped D, there was no doubt in my mind that we'd (once again) have injurie problems on our D... I just didn't expect it so soon..

Andre Boudrias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2010, 06:37 PM
me1ch

Could any of Alberts, Ballard, Edler, Hamhuis, O'Brien, and Rome play the right side? If not then BK stays and 1 or 2 of Alberts, SOB and Rome may have to go.

me1ch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2010, 06:47 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantalum View Post
LTIR does nothing to the cap situation. A player on LTIR still counts towards the cap. However, you are allowed to have a replacement player take the injured players place and not count against the cap if the replacement player does not have a bigger cap hit than the injured player. But that is only for when the injured player is on LTIR. Once off the replacement player would begin counting against the cap if not sent down/moved.
At times do you not fell like this when trying to explain LTIR and salary cap implications - again... and again... and again... and again?

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2010, 10:20 PM
John Swartzwelder
MOAR TUFFNESS!!!1

herp derp.

please, for the love of Linden, please no more bieksa.

John Swartzwelder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2010, 10:25 PM
Slapshot_11

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Swartzwelder View Post
herp derp.

please, for the love of Linden, please no more bieksa.
Haha

Slapshot_11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2010, 10:37 PM
JuniorNelson

People who would rather have Mitchell back over Bieksa didn't notice his major brain injury last season. He had one.

Discussing hockey is hard because there is nothing useful to go on until the team hits the ice. Citing last year's performance is circular thinking. Good luck with that.

Those supposing Salo returns to form after a (best case scenario) seven month lay-off, at thirty six years of age must have missed Sundin and Schnieder's attempts. It doesn't work.

Moving forward, the Canucks are lucky to have some extra defencemen now and I am sure they will invite more to camp. Who makes the team will be (Gillis has assured us, before) based on performance.

I am surprised that there isn't more talk of the looming walk-out. That is the next step after the NHL/PA arbitration. The season is in the position of being saved, at the moment. If Salo can rehab himself into playing shape by the time play resumes, good for him. An abbreviated season might be just the thing for him.

JuniorNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2010, 11:31 PM
Stonz

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorNelson View Post
People who would rather have Mitchell back over Bieksa didn't notice his major brain injury last season. He had one.

Discussing hockey is hard because there is nothing useful to go on until the team hits the ice. Citing last year's performance is circular thinking. Good luck with that.

Those supposing Salo returns to form after a (best case scenario) seven month lay-off, at thirty six years of age must have missed Sundin and Schnieder's attempts. It doesn't work.

Moving forward, the Canucks are lucky to have some extra defencemen now and I am sure they will invite more to camp. Who makes the team will be (Gillis has assured us, before) based on performance.

I am surprised that there isn't more talk of the looming walk-out. That is the next step after the NHL/PA arbitration. The season is in the position of being saved, at the moment. If Salo can rehab himself into playing shape by the time play resumes, good for him. An abbreviated season might be just the thing for him.
I'm not entirely convinced that Bieksa hasn't been playing with an undiagnosed brain injury for the past couple of seasons. It would explain an awful lot.

Stonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2010, 11:42 PM
David71

he should do the right thing and retire.

David71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 12:29 AM
bobbyb2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonz View Post
I'm not entirely convinced that Bieksa hasn't been playing with an undiagnosed brain injury for the past couple of seasons. It would explain an awful lot.

bobbyb2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 04:19 AM
Hammer79

So how did this turn into the Bieksa-bashing thread anyway? Didn't we already have a thread for that?

Hammer79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 06:12 AM
ZyggZagg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer79 View Post
So how did this turn into the Bieksa-bashing thread anyway? Didn't we already have a thread for that?
There is never too much Bieksa-bashing!

ZyggZagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 02:15 PM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

Sucks to see a guy like Salo out due to something like this. Keeping fit and his skills sharp in the off-season. Not sure if it was brought up in the thread but is there contract constraints to what certain players can be doing during the summer? Have not heard too much about this in the NHL vs. other sports.

Could be a positive that it happened now. Maybe that tendon was destined to pop.

HawksFan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 02:18 PM
keslehr*

We just gotta trade Bieksa for a cheap d-man and a pick. Then we can get by with Ballard/Hamhuis/Edler/Ehrhoff as our top 4 and SOB/Rome or new defesemen till Salo gets back. Easy.

keslehr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 02:28 PM
Wetcoaster

Jason Botchford notes that Sami Salo has now reached THE BIG FOUR O - in injury terms:
Quote:
There was only one possible reaction when news landed Friday that Sami Salo had torn his Achilles heel playing floorball in Finland, a non-contact sport that uses a Wiffle ball: "Of course, he did."

For this one, you can skip past shock, even though it's an injury virtually unheard of in hockey (the on-ice version, anyway). It's Salo's 40th injury and our senses have been so dulled by that numbing count, this one barely registers on the surprise meter. Salo, 35, has been injured in so many wild and unexpected ways the badly bruised testicle and pulled buttocks leap to mind his injuries, and the subsequent jokes, have become tired cliches.

Long past funny, Salo's injury woes have become sad for the player, maddening for the fans and just part of every day life for the organization.

This time he suffers one of his career's most serious injuries doing something he has done for 15 straight offseasons in Finland. What's next? Actually, we probably don't want to know.
http://www.theprovince.com/sports/ho...#ixzz0uiwpNPZh

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 02:53 PM
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War

^ Ruby encrusted wheel chair?

AndyPipkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 04:39 PM
Johnny Canucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy View Post
My guess is that the Canucks now hold onto SOB. I don't think there's any way they can hold onto Salo and Bieksa all season unless we have another year near the top of the man games lost leaderboard.
not really going out on a limb here, as they just resigned him ! lol

Johnny Canucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 07:07 PM
MarkMM

Quote:
Originally Posted by me1ch View Post
Could any of Alberts, Ballard, Edler, Hamhuis, O'Brien, and Rome play the right side? If not then BK stays and 1 or 2 of Alberts, SOB and Rome may have to go.
I believe at the state of the franchise meeting (or whatever they're now calling it) it was mentioned that both Hamhuis and Ballard can play both sides.

MarkMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 07:29 PM
shortshorts
The OG Kesler Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkMM View Post
I believe at the state of the franchise meeting (or whatever they're now calling it) it was mentioned that both Hamhuis and Ballard can play both sides.
Edler is able to play RS. Although more comfortable on his left. And Ehrhoff prefers the right side.

Hamhuis Edler
Ballard Ehrhoff

shortshorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 03:38 AM
Amused To Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer79 View Post
I know you said you didn't care about stats, but if Bieksa was indeed 'ECHL level', why was he third on the team in average ice time in the playoffs? Wouldn't AV, who has to evaluate his player's performance on the fly, have benched KB if his assessment was anywhere close to yours?
Injuries to better defensemen=playing less good defensemen. If Willie was in he would have been playing 26+/night, so that would have cut back greatly on Bieksa's TOI plus his QOC (or something like that) which would have meant Bieksa would have looked a lot better playing against the 3rd and 2nd lines...occasionally. Still, I thought that SOB played a lot better as a defenseman in the playoffs than Bieksa.

Regardless, this has been beaten to death in here, so I think I'll hop out of poor Salo's thread and beat it to death some more in another. Cheers.

Amused To Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 07:04 AM
GCM
Stork

If only there were a way to put Salo's brain in Bieksa's body...

GCM is offline   Reply With Quote