HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Improving Hockey Speed Off the ice

Old
07-26-2010, 07:20 AM
HowToHockey

vCash: 500
Improving Hockey Speed Off the ice

Hey, I know a lot of people want to know how to improve their speed and stamina during the off season. I wanted to write about it on my blog and I know a thing or two about it, but I am no expert. Luckily my friend Jeremy Weiss knows a lot about conditioning for hockey and runs his own online hockey conditioning program.

He was kind enough to write an article for my blog called how to improve hockey speed

He focused on

The three main off-ice components, which are:
  1. Leg Strength
  2. Explosiveness
  3. Agility and foot speed

He also included a bunch of videos, here is one of them

I hope that helps anyone who is looking to improve there speed. You can also check out his S3 formula if you are looking for a complete workout for hockey.

Also, what workouts or exercises have you found that actually worked to improve your speed?

HowToHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 08:44 AM
Razzmatazz

I like the adaptation of the box drill (for explosiveness) to the picnic tables, I kind of tested it out on my chair in my room and realized I'm terrible at the landings...wasn't keeping my back straight at first, so it was pretty awkward. Technique has improved drastically though, I think.

Do you have any tips on bettering your landings and jumps?

Razzmatazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 05:07 PM
HowToHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzmatazz View Post
I like the adaptation of the box drill (for explosiveness) to the picnic tables, I kind of tested it out on my chair in my room and realized I'm terrible at the landings...wasn't keeping my back straight at first, so it was pretty awkward. Technique has improved drastically though, I think.

Do you have any tips on bettering your landings and jumps?
I just try to land with both feet at the same time and end in a half squat position, I land sort of on my toes and then flatten out as I cushion the landing.

For the jump start with your feet about shoulder width apart and jump with both feet. If you can't do it comfortably then use a smaller box (not as high) wait until you can do it repeatedly at a comfortable height, and then move onto something taller.

HowToHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 08:01 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

One thing I HAVE to insist on is proper, long-term conditioning. A good long walking/jogging/exercise bike program is critical in addition to working on one's explosiveness.

I highly recommend working on them during alternating weeks like this:

Week 1: M/W/F- Explosiveness training

Week 2: Long conditioning T/TR/Sat

Week 3: M/W/F/Sun Explosiveness

Week 4: Conditioning T/TR/Sat

You get the idea. Try it, it's far better than just explosiveness or just conditioning training alone.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 01:57 AM
RobertKron

I haven't had a chance to get out to do the plyo stuff, but have been trying to dot drill and it is kicking my ass. I've made rapid improvement, but still, no wonder I've become so slow on-ice after a few years away. I've been trying to get myself back up to speed hockey-wise this summer, so this is a welcome help.

RobertKron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2010, 08:35 AM
vivianmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by beavboyz View Post
Hey, I know a lot of people want to know how to improve their speed and stamina during the off season. I wanted to write about it on my blog and I know a thing or two about it, but I am no expert. Luckily my friend Jeremy Weiss knows a lot about conditioning for hockey and runs his own online hockey conditioning program.

He was kind enough to write an article for my blog called how to improve hockey speed

He focused on

The three main off-ice components, which are:
  1. Leg Strength
  2. Explosiveness
  3. Agility and foot speed

He also included a bunch of videos, here is one of them

I hope that helps anyone who is looking to improve there speed. You can also check out his S3 formula if you are looking for a complete workout for hockey.

Also, what workouts or exercises have you found that actually worked to improve your speed?
i made up something similar to that about 20 yrs ago when i played jr. but i jumped in a "V"shape
start in the middle. jumpe with both feet to the left, than backwards to the middle, then to the right then backwards to the middle again. do that for a minute . rest . repeat
then i jumped with both feet SIDEWAYS over a milk crate. back and forth for a minute. after that gets easy start doing it with 10 lbs in each hand.
i was (and still am ) one of the faster skaters in my age group.

vivianmb is offline   Reply With Quote