HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Preds sign Ryan Parent to 2 year, $1.85 mil contract

Old
07-26-2010, 02:30 PM
Seth Lake

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Preds sign Ryan Parent to 2 year, $1.85 mil contract

Quote:
Nashville Predators President of Hockey Operations/General Manager David Poile announced today that the club has signed defenseman Ryan Parent to a two-year, $1.85 million contract. He will make $850,000 in 2010-11 and $1 million in 2011-12.

Parent, 23 (3/17/87), was reacquired from Philadelphia on June 19, 2010 in exchange for impending unrestricted free agent Dan Hamhuis; he was originally Nashville’s first selection, 18th overall (first round), in the 2005 Entry Draft and was sent to the Flyers in the trade that saw the Predators obtain Peter Forsberg on Feb. 15, 2007. The 6-3, 198-pound blueliner played 48 regular-season games for the Flyers in 2009-10, posting three points (1g-2a) and 20 penalty minutes, as well as suiting up for 17 of the club’s 23 postseason contests in its run to the 2010 Stanley Cup Finals, posting a goal and two penalty minutes. Since making his NHL debut with Philadelphia following his final junior season with Guelph (OHL) in 2006-07, the stay-at-home defenseman has posted seven points (1g-6a) and 36 penalty minutes in 102 regular-season contests, and two points (1g-1a) and eight penalty minutes in 27 playoff games.
http://predators.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=534945

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 02:33 PM
Seth Lake

Pretty fair price. Made $900k last season and had qualifying offer of just over $1 million. With this deal Parent acknowledges that his play hasn't quite lived up to that contract yet and gives up some salary for a two-year deal and a fresh start back with the club that drafted him...

Old
07-26-2010, 02:42 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

agree with everything SLake says ... good deal for the club & Parent recognizes that he's got to work on improving his own play

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 02:54 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

about what I expected. Hope he works it out.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 02:56 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
hopefully this pans out better than Sulzer did...

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 03:01 PM
Pattypred

I am very interested to see how he will do this year. I am also very excited about the 2010-2011 season.

Is it hockey yet?

Pattypred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 03:08 PM
jstreet

vCash: 50
The Price Is Right

Ryan Parent, come on down!

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 03:10 PM
Preds Partisan
Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Pretty fair price. Made $900k last season and had qualifying offer of just over $1 million. With this deal Parent acknowledges that his play hasn't quite lived up to that contract yet and gives up some salary for a two-year deal and a fresh start back with the club that drafted him...
Had this conversation with someone when the Preds got him from Philly. Is it a "fresh start" or "back in comfortable surroundings" because he's back to his original team? My friend tended to think a fresh start is just that---going somewhere without any previous connection---whereas going back to his original team comes with it's own added pressure (in this case as a former 1st round pick). My friend's contention was that Parent would have benefited more from a true "fresh start" than going back to the Preds. Although Poile got something for nothing in this deal (which is good), my friend rattled off a lengthy list of MLB and NHL players whom GM's reacquired because they saw more unrealized potential going back to when they originally drafted a player than the actual performance of that player to date. It's not just about the player, but also about the GM being a little blinded by wanting to prove they were right in picking that player in the first place. I saw some validity in my firend's argument so I thought I would throw that out.

In any case, the price is right.

Preds Partisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 03:16 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preds Partisan View Post
Had this conversation with someone when the Preds got him from Philly. Is it a "fresh start" or "back in comfortable surroundings" because he's back to his original team? My friend tended to think a fresh start is just that---going somewhere without any previous connection---whereas going back to his original team comes with it's own added pressure (in this case as a former 1st round pick). My friend's contention was that Parent would have benefited more from a true "fresh start" than going back to the Preds. Although Poile got something for nothing in this deal (which is good), my friend rattled off a lengthy list of MLB and NHL players whom GM's reacquired because they saw more unrealized potential going back to when they originally drafted a player than the actual performance of that player to date. It's not just about the player, but also about the GM being a little blinded by wanting to prove they were right in picking that player in the first place. I saw some validity in my firend's argument so I thought I would throw that out.

In any case, the price is right.
I can see that line of thinking and agree to an extent, but I think in this case it is more of an opportunity for a player whose development has been disrupted due to injury and a trade to go back to a place and work with coaches that he were working early with him to build confidence and refine his skills to ready him for the NHL.

Poile HAS tried to go out and pick off pieces that he traded away in that deal (Parent and the 1st...also was very upset he didn't get Upshall back last year), but at the same time I don't think there is any pressure on Parent to step in and do anything except play his best and try to fill a much needed role next season (defensive defenseman).

I'm sure the familiarity with the player helped make this deal, but I don't necessarily think it was the reason the trade was made...

Old
07-26-2010, 03:17 PM
Webersmashpuck

vCash: 1088
Cheaper than I thought. Im excited to see Parent play, I believe he will be much better than we expect. Poile has wanted him back and knows his defensemen and Trotz and company can coach defensemen so this could be a pleasant surprise.

Webersmashpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 03:27 PM
roseyc

Good signing by the Preds for the price. I think Trotz will break him down and get him fixed and by midseason he'll be paired with Klein for the 2nd defensive pairing.

roseyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 09:18 PM
lightning_legwand*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
hopefully this pans out better than Sulzer did...

It will, how could it be worse? lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webersmashpuck View Post
Cheaper than I thought. Im excited to see Parent play, I believe he will be much better than we expect. Poile has wanted him back and knows his defensemen and Trotz and company can coach defensemen so this could be a pleasant surprise.
Agreed. I think he is super under rated just because of some injuries, if he is healthy this season, he will prove others that doubt him wrong. He has the potential, just needs to be healthy.

lightning_legwand* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 11:36 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

All that matters is that he plays the PK and makes it better. Pair him with Franson, who will play heavy PP time.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 11:54 AM
Top 6 Spaling

Franson- Slow, Offensive, Great shot, Fairly weak defensively
Parent- Quick, Defensive, Lack of offensive ability, good in the D zone

Sounds like a pairing to me. They should complement each other beautifully.

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote