HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

HFStars-Voted Summer 2010 Top-20 Prospects: [#14]

View Poll Results: Who is the Stars' #14 prospect?
Mike Bergin 0 0%
Alex Guptill 12 50.00%
Tristan King 0 0%
John Klingberg 3 12.50%
Hubert Labrie 0 0%
Nico Sacchetti 1 4.17%
Austin Smith 8 33.33%
Alex Theriau 0 0%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-23-2010, 04:08 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
shift

vCash: 27750
HFStars-Voted Summer 2010 Top-20 Prospects: [#14]

R. Smith moves up 6 spots, our 3rd highest riser so far.

HFStars 2010 Top-20 Prospects
#1GJack Campbell
#2DPhilip Larsen
#3RWScott Glennie
#4RWAlex Chiasson
#5RWTomas Vincour
#6GRich Bachman
#7COndrej Roman
#8DPatrik Nemeth
#9RWColton Sceviour
#10GTyler Beskorowany
#11LWCurtis McKenzie
#12RWSergei Korostin
#13RWReilly Smith

piqued is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2010, 12:00 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
shift

vCash: 27750
Here's a question: do we consider Aaron Gagnon a prospect?

piqued is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2010, 01:46 PM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
We probably should but he gets left on the outside looking in all the time. He may not be a prospect, but he's a future NHL player IMO.

Edit: I didn't get a chance to get out and see the development camp this year, but did Guptill really impress that much? I'm asking because without seeing him he just sounds like a high upside guy with longterm potential who hasn't proven himself against legitimate competition. What gives?

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2010, 01:59 PM
Dr GLU

vCash: 500
He wasn't that impressive to me.

Seems like it's shiny new prospect syndrome. If he follows a similar path to Winkler (who looked pretty good at the camp) or Sacchetti, expect him to be an afterthought in two years as well.

I don't think Gagnon should be put in at this point as he'd probably have fallen somewhere in between Sceviour and Korostin.

Dr GLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2010, 04:42 PM
Chad_

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
I'm asking because without seeing him he just sounds like a high upside guy with longterm potential who hasn't proven himself against legitimate competition. What gives?
Who else on the list other than Guptill can "high upside with longterm [sic] potential" be written about? No one, not even a smaller, low upside player who hasn't proven himself against legitimate competition who is second in the voting. The only other possible would be Klingberg, and he's going to have to weigh more than his equipment bag for me to take him seriously.

Consider who is left at this point, or in this specific poll. Bergin is a long shot whose upside isn't more than a bottom pairing guy. King projects at best a third/fourth line plugger. Klingberg is so incredibly skinny it makes me wonder if he can ever reach anywhere near his potential, though he does have solid skills. Labrie is small, not very skilled and doesn't project any higher than Bergin. Sacchetti is a a disappointment, if you believed the hype surrounding him when he was drafted, who seemingly hasn't progressed (I'm sure he has to an extent). Theriaux is a wild card and is an unknown quantity.

So are you arguing for any of those guys over a player like Guptill who has a high upside, and if so, for what purpose? With this group, outside of King it cannot be due to proximity to the NHL as the rest are at least two years away. In that case, what are you voting for? Both Guptill and Smith aren't likely to reach their potential, so why not vote for the player with the higher ceiling than the other?

Last edited by Chad_: 07-24-2010 at 04:58 PM.
Chad_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2010, 05:31 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad_ View Post
So are you arguing for any of those guys over a player like Guptill who has a high upside, and if so, for what purpose? With this group, outside of King it cannot be due to proximity to the NHL as the rest are at least two years away. In that case, what are you voting for? Both Guptill and Smith aren't likely to reach their potential, so why not vote for the player with the higher ceiling than the other?
I'm not arguing for anything or anybody. This is for the 14th spot on the list so it really doesn't matter at all. I was mainly curious whether people were voting for him based on personal viewings or the fact that he is a new prospect with little to no track record.

Old
07-24-2010, 05:33 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLU View Post
He wasn't that impressive to me...
Thanks Glu. Always respect your opinion on these things.

Old
07-24-2010, 06:25 PM
Karitimes
JetsJetsJets

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
I'm not arguing for anything or anybody. This is for the 14th spot on the list so it really doesn't matter at all. I was mainly curious whether people were voting for him based on personal viewings or the fact that he is a new prospect with little to no track record.
I'm not going to pretend to know the Guptill game and I seriously doubt many people on a Stars fan board make it to many OJ games for a personal viewing... I'd say its obvious those who have been voting for him are basing it on the scouting reports, offensive upside, the nouveau distinction, and for me, I think he's got a good frame to fill out too.

I'm just happy I don't have to vote for him anymore since he's taken up my vote the last 5 rounds. Got sucked in by ______.

Karitimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2010, 06:47 PM
Starsdude

I think Austin Smith can have a Peterson type
career The other guys are just so far off except Bergin who maybe has achance as adepth defenseman/solid ahler

The stars facination with high upside high schoolers is kinda weird because it is alow percentage route for most kids, they take them a round or 3 too early and they have been
unsuccessful at it, Stick with Juniors and the occasional swede

Starsdude is offline   Reply With Quote