HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

CBJ 2010 Offseason Thread (ALL General Speculation/Proposals/Blog Rumors here)

Old
07-23-2010, 09:31 PM
Samkow
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
CBJ 2010 Offseason Thread (ALL General Speculation/Proposals/Blog Rumors here)

...can't think of anything to say.

This is one boring ass off-season.

07-23-2010, 09:36 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
Yeah it is, not just boring for the Jackets, but the entire NHL. The Kovy drama doesn't do it for me.

Timeless Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 09:38 PM
leesmith
Still in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
...can't think of anything to say.

This is one boring ass off-season.
I'll second that!

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 09:48 PM
Skraut

Nothing is happening. The team is DOOMED!!!!!!

Except of course getting a new coach,
and a new assistant coach,
and another assistant coach,
and an eye in the sky coach,
and a new strength and conditioning coach,
and sending a developmental coach to Russia,
and drafting a potential future #1 center,
and switching AHL affiliates,
and adding a 3rd/4th line vet,
and signing 2 new new goaltenders,
and signing 5 defensemen,
and signing 8 forwards,
and taking a defenseman to arbitration.

WHEN IS HOWSON GOING TO DO SOMETHING???????

Last edited by Skraut: 07-23-2010 at 09:59 PM.
Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 10:20 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

Not involving Springfield? I don't know.

Old
07-23-2010, 10:24 PM
Skraut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Winter View Post
Not involving Springfield? I don't know.
Since you're insinuating that every one of those moves is Springfield related, you must also mean that the 2010-2011 Jackets will be EXACTLY the same as the 2009-2010 Jackets?

BTW did you ever find my Fedorov "Gem" you so clearly remembered?

Old
07-23-2010, 10:36 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
Since you're insinuating that every one of those moves is Springfield related, you must also mean that the 2010-2011 Jackets will be EXACTLY the same as the 2009-2010 Jackets?

BTW did you ever find my Fedorov "Gem" you so clearly remembered?
On the ice? we won't be much different. Behind the bench obviously is different. We will see if Arniel can have the success of Sacco, or Atlanta's ex-coach Jon Anderson.
As for your gem, no I did not, I went through 10 pages of that thread (out of 27) and that's all I could stomach. I wouldn't make it up for no reason though.

This is what Samkow is talking about, boring offseason, all we have to discuss is last season or what Arniel's going to do with this team.

Old
07-23-2010, 10:55 PM
Skraut

Quote:
On the ice? we won't be much different. Behind the bench obviously is different. We will see if Arniel can have the success of Sacco, or Atlanta's ex-coach Jon Anderson.
But you said all the changes were Springfield related.

Quote:
for your gem, no I did not, I went through 10 pages of that thread (out of 27) and that's all I could stomach. I wouldn't make it up for no reason though.
I'll give you a hint, there was a comment made similar to what you remember, but it wasn't by me. But I understand the confusion. All us "optimists" sound alike.

Quote:
This is what Samkow is talking about, boring offseason, all we have to discuss is last season or what Arniel's going to do with this team.
And we aren't doing either. We're spending the offseason complaining that Howson isn't making any moves as if the guy just said "F-it I'm going fishing". In the mean time he's quietly done all of those things I mentioned. Changing a coaching staff is a big deal. Switching AHL affiliates, while not sexy or glamourous takes a lot of work. As for the players, are they all going to have an NHL impact? no. But I'm betting we'll see more than a few of the players on the big team next year, at least for a little while. That is once you get past the signings of the players that already ARE NHL players

We spent all last season complaining about how we wanted to fire the coach. Everybody talked about how they wanted to see these players play exciting hockey with a different coach. That happened. And now instead of looking forward to seeing exactly what they asked for, people are upset because they can't see different players play exciting hockey with a different coach.

If that's what you want, pick an NHL team. There's 29 of them that have both a different coach and different players than the 2009-2010 Columbus Blue Jackets. That's what people have spent all of this offseason complaining that they can't get.

Old
07-23-2010, 11:00 PM
RDriesenUD

We made an upgrade at every position. Every single player will play different and better with Arniel as the coach.

RDriesenUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2010, 12:24 AM
Crede777
Deputized

Mmm new thread smell...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDriesenUD View Post
We made an upgrade at every position. Every single player will play different and better with Arniel as the coach.
I hope you are right. We need Mason to bounce back.

Crede777 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2010, 05:56 AM
Roadman
Moving On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
Mmm new thread smell...

I hope you are right. We need Mason to bounce back.

We need a lot of players to bounce back.

Which is exactly why the coaching staff change is such an important overhaul. Such a change has the chance to make a difference in the entire team. Rather than replacing a player here and there.

Seismic shift as it were.

Roadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2010, 09:54 AM
USNBluejack

Do a rookie fan a favor eh?

Personally, I'd love to hear some of the more knowledgable hockey fans here speculate as to exactly what they think Arniel will change, and how that will affect the team. I mean yeah, I've been seeing the "more uptempo, offensive minded" stuff, but as a newcomer to hockey fandom I'd really appreciate some conjecture from some of the older fans as to what that means for us really.

I feel like it's gonna be a really good thing for us.

On a sidenote, I was showing my wife video of the Malarchuk Accident, and I realized that Arniel was there, on the ice when that happened. Crazy.

USNBluejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2010, 10:51 AM
Xoggz22
HFB Partner

Don't know if I qualify as knowledgable but I'll try to give you my opinion and others can dispute, debate, add, agree, crap on it or whatever....

You'll hear Arniel say he wants to eliminate time and space. Essentially this creates a high pressure system in all areas of the ice. It's a way of dictating play. Hitchcock had the team reading the play and then reacting to what they saw. I consider this a passive system that requires high hockey IQ and players with experience. Others call it defensive. Lay back and wait, then counter. Arniel's plan is to pressure the puck, heavy forecheck and force the play. A much more aggressive system where the CBJ will attempt to dictate the play. No longer reactionary but "proactionary". Once they have the puck the idea is to have all 5 guys get to the other teams 1/3 of the ice. No more 4 v 5 play in the other teams zone. It might lead to more early season odd man rushes so MAson will need to be ON HIS GAME from the word go.

The challenge for Arniel will be that all 5 guys on the ice will need to be A) in great shape for a high tempo system and B) better than "good" skaters. B is where I see the challenge for him. The forwards don't scare me. I think most skate well enough to handle the system, however, the defense is definitely going to be the area to watch. Guys like Commodore and Hejda will need to change their mind set (Klesla too to a degree) and guys like Klesla, Commodore and Hejda will be challenged with their skating. It's now and end to end game (not like Washington) and guys will need to know who's doing what and cover a lot of ground.

Once we have the puck the expectation is that it moves quickly up ice but with possession. Less dump and chase (it will be needed against some players, some teams or some times to change the pace) and more possession.

Personally I think we struggle early and hit stride around the same time the wheels fell off last year. If that's the case and the players improve as expected over last year's play this team could be pretty good. I am a realist and still think we go as our D goes and right now that doesn't look promising with the group of 7 we currently have.

If we're able to show success this year, I think the future looks unbelievable. Add Moore, Johansen, Goloubef and hopefully Savard and now you have a team that should be well rounded, skate better than most teams (if Savard come improve that aspect a little). I'm cautiously optimistic but also think we'll see a more entertaining brand of hockey. Hopefully the wins follow.

Xoggz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2010, 11:18 AM
Roadman
Moving On

I am certainly not the expert that some here are but isn't that (albeit with out the expected polish) what we were doing in the beginning of last year? Free wheeling, attacking, creating chaos, until they were reined in?

Old
07-24-2010, 11:34 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadman View Post
I am certainly not the expert that some here are but isn't that (albeit with out the expected polish) what we were doing in the beginning of last year? Free wheeling, attacking, creating chaos, until they were reined in?
I think there's more of a "method" to that attack, and we should see it, vs. the "madness" that it had a feel of last season.

Arniel will be coaching a style that attacks, vs. the players free-wheeling attacking at the beginning of the season last year.

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2010, 12:16 PM
Doug19

I'm not an expert, but I play one on the internet.

Doug19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2010, 12:20 PM
Jaxs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoggz22 View Post
Don't know if I qualify as knowledgable but I'll try to give you my opinion and others can dispute, debate, add, agree, crap on it or whatever....

You'll hear Arniel say he wants to eliminate time and space. Essentially this creates a high pressure system in all areas of the ice. It's a way of dictating play. Hitchcock had the team reading the play and then reacting to what they saw. I consider this a passive system that requires high hockey IQ and players with experience. Others call it defensive. Lay back and wait, then counter. Arniel's plan is to pressure the puck, heavy forecheck and force the play. A much more aggressive system where the CBJ will attempt to dictate the play. No longer reactionary but "proactionary". Once they have the puck the idea is to have all 5 guys get to the other teams 1/3 of the ice. No more 4 v 5 play in the other teams zone. It might lead to more early season odd man rushes so MAson will need to be ON HIS GAME from the word go.

The challenge for Arniel will be that all 5 guys on the ice will need to be A) in great shape for a high tempo system and B) better than "good" skaters. B is where I see the challenge for him. The forwards don't scare me. I think most skate well enough to handle the system, however, the defense is definitely going to be the area to watch. Guys like Commodore and Hejda will need to change their mind set (Klesla too to a degree) and guys like Klesla, Commodore and Hejda will be challenged with their skating. It's now and end to end game (not like Washington) and guys will need to know who's doing what and cover a lot of ground.

Once we have the puck the expectation is that it moves quickly up ice but with possession. Less dump and chase (it will be needed against some players, some teams or some times to change the pace) and more possession.

Personally I think we struggle early and hit stride around the same time the wheels fell off last year. If that's the case and the players improve as expected over last year's play this team could be pretty good. I am a realist and still think we go as our D goes and right now that doesn't look promising with the group of 7 we currently have.

If we're able to show success this year, I think the future looks unbelievable. Add Moore, Johansen, Goloubef and hopefully Savard and now you have a team that should be well rounded, skate better than most teams (if Savard come improve that aspect a little). I'm cautiously optimistic but also think we'll see a more entertaining brand of hockey. Hopefully the wins follow.
Niice analysis Xoggz. You pretty much nailed it. I think by pairing a supposed pmd with a more stay at home type, the risk of breakaways is neutralized somewhat. An aggressive forecheck is a risk reward style, so two teams playing this style make for lots of odd man rushes, making goaltending so important, as well as good defense as you mention. The slower dmen will adapt, and most of them have played this style at some point in their careers. They will hang back more than say a Russell, Stralman or guys who can use speed to get back into the play. This style of play is exciting to watch, there are usually many scoring chances and goals scored. Hopefully goals for.

Jaxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2010, 12:30 PM
EDM

Well, I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last nite so ......

EDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2010, 12:31 PM
Jaxs
HFBoards Sponsor

Everyone's an expert on the internet.

Jaxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2010, 12:48 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxs View Post
Everyone's an expert on the internet.
I'm not! I'm just an opinionated naive b***h.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2010, 01:36 PM
Roadman
Moving On

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithBWhittington View Post
I think there's more of a "method" to that attack, and we should see it, vs. the "madness" that it had a feel of last season.

Arniel will be coaching a style that attacks, vs. the players free-wheeling attacking at the beginning of the season last year.
Pretty close to what I was trying to say, thank you. But last years beginning gives me hope that the personnel can play that style given some "method" and direction.

Hey, a little "madness" couldn't hurt, and that's another thing I am looking for this coaching staff to inspire.

Old
07-24-2010, 01:39 PM
Roadman
Moving On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
I'm not! I'm just an opinionated naive b***h.
Never heard anyone say you were naive.

Old
07-24-2010, 03:16 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadman View Post
Never heard anyone say you were naive.
Bazinga!!

pete goegan is online now   Reply With Quote