HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

SCF Gm.2: Calgary Flames @ Tampa Bay Lightning l Bolts 4-1 l Series Tied 1-1

Closed Thread

Old
05-26-2004, 10:16 AM
Drury77

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Drury77 Send a message via Yahoo to Drury77 Send a message via Skype™ to Drury77
SCF Gm.2: Calgary Flames @ Tampa Bay Lightning l Bolts 4-1 l Series Tied 1-1

STANLEY CUP Finals -- -- GM. 2

VS

Calgary Flames

vs.

Tampa Bay Lightning

Flames Lead 1-0

Calgary Flames 2003-2004 Complete Schedule/Results

Tampa Bay Lightning 2003-2004 Complete Schedule/Results

REGULAR SEASON STANDINGS

Calgary Flames: 42-29-7-3, 94 points.
*3rd Place in Northwest Division, 6th Place in Western Conference.*
vs.
Tampa Bay Lightning: 46-22-8-6, 106 points.
*1st Place in Southeast Division, 1st Place in Eastern Conference.*

How they got here:

Flames Upset the Nucks in 7 - Series Page

Flames Upset the Wings in 6 - Series Page

Flames Upset the Sharks in 6 - Series Page

------------------------------------------

Tampa Beat the Islanders in 5 - Series Page

Tampa Swept Montreal - Series Page

Tampa Beat Flyers in 7 - Series Page

@ The St. Pete Times Forum l Tampa, FL

Thursday, May 27th, 2004, 8:00 pm ET.
TV: ESPN/TSN

GAME 1: CGY 4, @ TAM 1
Recap | Box Score

GAME 2: CGY , @ TAM
Recap | Box Score

GAME 3: TAM , @ CGY
Sat, May 29 - 8:00 PM ABC

GAME 4: TAM , @ CGY
Mon, May 31 - 8:00 PM ABC

*GAME 5: CGY , @ TAM
Thu, June 3 - 8:00 PM ABC

*GAME 6: TAM @ CGY
Sat, June 5 - 8:00 PM ESPN

*GAME 7: CGY , @ TAM
Mon, June 7 - 8:00 PM ESPN

* - if necessary
All times Eastern

Live Score!

IMPORTANT GAMEDAY LINKS!!

*Live Game Audio
*ESPN LIVE Scoreboard
*Live NHL Scoreboard
*Live General Sports Scoreboard
*Yahoo Flames Page
*Yahoo Tampa Page
*Sportsline Flames Page
*Sportsline Tampa Page
*Yahoo NHL Photo Gallery
*Sportsline NHL Photo Gallery

(***Please note that some links will only work on GAME DAY***)

Old
05-27-2004, 10:25 AM
Drury77

Send a message via AIM to Drury77 Send a message via Yahoo to Drury77 Send a message via Skype™ to Drury77
Espn Preview

TAMPA, Florida (Ticker) -- The Calgary Flames can tie the NHL record for the most road wins in a postseason on Thursday when they face the Tampa Bay in Game Two of the Stanley Cup Finals at the St. Pete Times Forum.

The Flames have won nine of 11 playoff games on the road and are one win shy of matching the league record of 10 victories set by the New Jersey Devils in 1995 and 2000.

Calgary stole home-ice advantage in the series with a 4-1 victory over Tampa Bay in Game One on Tuesday.

Martin Gelinas opened the scoring and Jarome Iginla followed with a shorthanded goal for the Flames, who showed no rust after a five-day layoff.

Martin St. Louis scored a power-play goal for the Tampa Bay, which has scored with the man advantage in each of its last seven postseason games.

Who's Hot:

Calgary - RW Jarome Iginla has 11 goals during the postseason and has scored in each of the last four games.

Tampa Bay - - C Brad Richards has two goals and four assists in the last four playoff games. He assisted on Tampa Bay's only goal in Game One.

Who's Not:

Calgary - LW Oleg Saprykin has not scored in his last 14 games.

Tampa Bay - LW Cory Stillman, who began his career with the Flames, has scored just two goals in the playoffs.

STREAKS: The Flames have won their last five games away from Calgary.

HISTORY: Calgary is 11-1 when scoring first; Tampa Bay is 10-1 when scoring first.

LEADERS:

Calgary - Iginla, 11 goals; C Craig Conroy, 11 assists; Iginla, 18 points.

Tampa Bay - C Vincent Lecavalier and RW Ruslan Fedotenko, nine goals; St. Louis, 13 assists; St. Louis, 19 points.

Injuries:

Calgary - D Denis Gauthier (knee); D Toni Lydman (concussion); Matthew Lombardi (concussion); C Dean McAmmond (back).

Tampa Bay - None.

Last edited by Drury77: 05-27-2004 at 01:44 PM.
Old
05-27-2004, 10:28 AM
popperbolt*

Send a message via ICQ to popperbolt*
bring on game 2 !!!

3 1

Old
05-27-2004, 10:32 AM
Phanuthier*

Tampa's going to come out hard tonight. To make a long story short, they'll play their game, and play it well.

Key for the Flames to counter that it to finish their checks, continue to forcheck and pressure the D, make their plays off Tampa turnovers (as a result of their forcheck) and to try and wear down the small forwards on Tampa by controlling play along the boards.

Old
05-27-2004, 10:54 AM
wilka91*

I hope it's not going to be as boring as game 1 was ... but with Calgary it's often extremely boring, so I'm not exprecting much. I might well end up the day watching some baseball.

Old
05-27-2004, 11:06 AM
HellsBells

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilka91
I hope it's not going to be as boring as game 1 was ... but with Calgary it's often extremely boring, so I'm not exprecting much. I might well end up the day watching some baseball.
The Flames have been playing the most exciting hockey in these playoffs. Way better than the TB/PHI series. You must be a casual fan.

EDIT: bite tongue.

Old
05-27-2004, 11:27 AM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drury77
TAMPA, Florida (Ticker) -- The Calgary Flames can tie the NHL record for the most road wins in a postseason on Thursday when they face the Tampa Bay Devils Rays in Game Two of the Stanley Cup Finals at the St. Pete Times Forum.

Old
05-27-2004, 11:35 AM
Flames Draft Watcher

Quote:
Geez you post this and make your bold prediction that the Flames will definitely miss the playoffs next season?

Could you make your trolling any more obvious?

Hopefully Flames fans won't take the bait, you're obviously not here for intelligent discussion. Please ignore this troll, fellow Flames fans...

Old
05-27-2004, 11:38 AM
Vincent_TheGreat

Send a message via ICQ to Vincent_TheGreat
1 3

Calgary Goals: Iginla, Conroy, Regher

Tampa Bay: Richards

Last edited by Vincent_TheGreat: 05-27-2004 at 11:45 AM.
Old
05-27-2004, 11:44 AM
Sotnos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drury77
TAMPA, Florida (Ticker) -- The Calgary Flames can tie the NHL record for the most road wins in a postseason on Thursday when they face the Tampa Bay Devil Rays in Game Two of the Stanley Cup Finals at the St. Pete Times Forum.
The Rays have a game this afternoon, so no doubt they'll be really tired by the time the puck drops and the Flames will win.

Are proof readers THAT expensive? This isn't the first time I've seen our hockey and baseball teams mixed up.

Old
05-27-2004, 11:58 AM
Lanny MacDonald*

I think this going to be a great game. The Bolts are in a must win situation and will likely come out hard. The Flames are in a situation of having a chance to go home up two, so they will be extremely motivated to perform as well. I think the Bolts have a little more motivation on the line, so this one may go the way of the Lightning. I think the team that finds the twine first will be the team to win this game. My prediction? Head says Tampa 4-2, heart says Flames 2-0. I'll go with my head.

Old
05-27-2004, 12:32 PM
Cyclops II*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfield
The Flames have been playing the most exciting hockey in these playoffs. Way better than the TB/PHI series. You must be a casual fan.

EDIT: bite tongue.

The Flames DO NOT play exciting hockey. They don't have the talent to play exciting hockey and win. They play a solid, smothering defensive game and capitalize on the opposition's mistakes.

Last edited by Cyclops II*: 05-27-2004 at 02:46 PM.
Old
05-27-2004, 12:40 PM
HellsBells

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclops II
The Flames DO NOT play exciting hockey. They don't have the talent to play exciting hockey and win. They play a solid, smothering defensive game and capitalize on the opposition s mistakes.
With more speed than any other team.

The Sharks DO NOT play exciting hockey IMO but a few people may think so.

Old
05-27-2004, 12:50 PM
Lanny MacDonald*

Quote:
The Flames DO NOT play exciting hockey. They don't have the talent to play exciting hockey and win. They play a solid, smothering defensive game and capitalize on the opposition s mistakes.
Sure they don't. The most exciting hockey in years were the Flames versus the Nucks and the Flames versus the Red Wings. Conversely the Bolts versus the Habs was some of the most boring hockey these playoffs. I would like an explanation how the Bolts are the ones that are "so" capable of playing "exciting hockey" and were responsible for a snoozefest, and the Flames are "so" incapable of playing "exciting hockey" when they have been responsible to two highly exciting and highly rated series? Or would this be just another troll from an embittered Sharks fan?

Old
05-27-2004, 01:24 PM
Lefty

Send a message via ICQ to Lefty Send a message via MSN to Lefty Send a message via Yahoo to Lefty
I have to work tonight so I can't watch the game... :mad:

My brain says Tampa will win, but my heart says Calgary. Of course I thought the same for game one.

Old
05-27-2004, 01:49 PM
Flames Draft Watcher

Quote:
Blah, blah, blah. I think it's been proven that a bunch of the fans from teams we've beaten this year in the playoffs have a hard time viewing the Flames objectively. You appear to fit into this category. Some fans are just too bitter about the Flames beating their "superior" team to have an objective stance.

Their counter attacking, brilliant penalty killing and hard forecheck are very exciting to me. Obviously you aren't a fan of defense and doing the little things it takes to win a cup because that seems to be what you're complaining about. Run and gun teams haven't won the cup in a long time. The Flames do have their fair share of skill, unfortunately two of our more skilled forwards (Reinprecht and McAmmond) are out, otherwise these complaints would be even more preposterous.

I still don't really understand where you whiners are coming from, it's not like we're a Minnesota clone.

Old
05-27-2004, 03:12 PM
two out of three*

Send a message via ICQ to two out of three* Send a message via AIM to two out of three*
Quote:
The Flames DO NOT play exciting hockey. They don't have the talent to play exciting hockey and win. They play a solid, smothering defensive game and capitalize on the opposition's mistakes.
Everybody wants to see exciting hockey, but so what if they dont? If they win, to true hockey fans what does it matter? They beat the Sharks with their "boring" hockey so who cares?

btw- Calgary plays "exciting" hockey

Old
05-27-2004, 03:20 PM
Snakeeye

Quote:
I have to admit. Watching the Flames beat your team silly must not be all that exciting from your perspective.

How do you judge excitement, anyway? Do you judge by goals scored? Because the Flames have the third best GPG average in the playoffs at 2.50 (Phi 2.78, Tampa 2.82)

Calgary has all kinds of speed, and hits hard, two things people often consider a part of exciting hockey.

But, they dont give up a lot of goals. They suffocate the opposition, so they must be boring.

The Sharks averaged fewer goals than Calgary, and they gave up fewer. You must have found your own team to be dreadfully painfull to watch, eh?

Old
05-27-2004, 03:23 PM
Flames Draft Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakeeye
I have to admit. Watching the Flames beat your team silly must not be all that exciting from your perspective.

How do you judge excitement, anyway? Do you judge by goals scored? Because the Flames have the third best GPG average in the playoffs at 2.50 (Phi 2.78, Tampa 2.82)

Calgary has all kinds of speed, and hits hard, two things people often consider a part of exciting hockey.

But, they dont give up a lot of goals. They suffocate the opposition, so they must be boring.

The Sharks averaged fewer goals than Calgary, and they gave up fewer. You must have found your own team to be dreadfully painfull to watch, eh?
Zing! Good post Snake...

Old
05-27-2004, 03:27 PM
Phanuthier*

Quote:

Haha

Old
05-27-2004, 03:59 PM
wilka91*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher
Geez you post this and make your bold prediction that the Flames will definitely miss the playoffs next season?

Could you make your trolling any more obvious?

Hopefully Flames fans won't take the bait, you're obviously not here for intelligent discussion. Please ignore this troll, fellow Flames fans...
I'm sorry but I'm not some anti-Flames fan. I don't give a damn thing who wins this series. All I want is good hockey, because I love hockey!

Game 1 was not "hockey".

Old
05-27-2004, 04:19 PM
Snakeeye

Quote:
I'm sorry but I'm not some anti-Flames fan. I don't give a damn thing who wins this series. All I want is good hockey, because I love hockey!

Game 1 was not "hockey".
Fault the Lightning for not showing up for Game 1.

Old
05-27-2004, 05:05 PM
Vincent_TheGreat

Send a message via ICQ to Vincent_TheGreat
Quote:
Fault the Lightning for not showing up for Game 1.
I do fault them, and there is no excuse for not showing up to any game in the finals. DISGUSTING, but keduos Calgary earned the win.

Old
05-27-2004, 05:15 PM
Flames Draft Watcher

Quote:
Game 1 was not "hockey".
Looked like hockey to me. I guess we just have different definitions of the word...

Old
05-27-2004, 06:04 PM
rwilson99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher
Looked like hockey to me. I guess we just have different definitions of the word...
For as long as I can remember the NHL has promised to "crack down" on obstruction and clutching and grabbing. The failure to follow through on this promise has irreperably damaged the NHL product.

The "premier" team of the last nine years, the New Jersey Devils, have a horrible product that consistently fails to sell tickets, because of clutching and grabbing.

The Anaheim Mighty Ducks joined the Devils last year in finals, b/c of clutching and grabbing. Minnesota made it to the WCF last year with clutching and grabbing. Playoff runs of the last few years are littered with undertalented teams that were willing to call Bettman's bluff.

Imagine what would happen to football if recievers could be interfered with as they ran down the field. Imagine if a failure to make these calls was called snidly referred to as "playoff football," you just can't understand.

Combine a lack of integrity regarding the rules of the game with the use of non-recurring expansion fee revenue to pay recurring player salaries and you get $270 million dollars in annual losses, and a U.S. TV contract cut in half.

But who cares as long as a team north of the border wins the cup.

Closed Thread