HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Ryan Suter as 2012 UFA

Old
07-24-2010, 03:23 PM
Rare Jewel
Patience

vCash: 500
5.75 for 5 years in T.O

Beauchemin, Lebda and Finger will all be off the books, And He can play with fellow cheesehead Kessel.

Rare Jewel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2010, 03:52 PM
Karitimes
JetsJetsJets

Quote:
Originally Posted by txomisc View Post
Yeah Dallas would need to do whatever it could to get him signed if he hit UFA. However, I don't really think he is the type of player who hits UFA status at such a young age. Players of his caliber on a team thats at least competitive are far more likely to re-sign with their current team on a long term deal.
Of course...likeliness a shade on the good side of zero percent. Just a dream scenario from a fans perspective IF he hit the open market.

Karitimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2010, 04:56 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2417 View Post
Keep in mind he'll be the biggest name fa in that class. It's a very weak ufa class. How much will he get on the open market?
he'll never see the open market. The Preds will extend him before next season. He and Weber are the two players Poile has built his whole salary structure around.

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2010, 05:01 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

issues: 1 - need to see how kovy situation plays out. A lot of big name players hitting UFA and RFA in the next year or two will be effected by this.

2 - there could be a new CBA for 2012. This could be good or bad for sutter.
a) there may be a salary rollback to control escalating escrow payments. If this happens, sutter is better off waiting until after the new agreement to sign.

b) the 'retirement contract' loophole will probably be closed. There may be measures taken against existing 'retirement contracts'. Either way, if sutter wants one of those contracts, assuming the kovalchuk ruling doesnt change it's availability, he has to sign before the new CBA is agreed upon, meaning he never hits UFA.

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2010, 05:21 PM
KelVarnsen
Trade Etem!

I'd give up Bobby Ryan for Suter!

KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2010, 05:24 PM
PredaDORES
**** you Dale Tallon

If David Poile realizes that he can't sign Suter to an extension, he will trade Suter and get a great return. Poile isn't one to let people walk away for nothing (see: Vokoun, Hartnell, Timonen, Hamhuis, Ellis - all players that were never going to be able to re-sign with Nashville, yet Poile still managed to get great assets back).

PredaDORES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2010, 05:28 PM
biturbo19

Unless one of Nashville's young guys steps up in a HUGE way before then, i don't see any way Suter will make it to UFA status. Far too important to their continued success.

biturbo19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2010, 05:33 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

A player has to actually want to sign an extension you know.

I have a feeling Suter will want to "test" free agency. Not saying he doesn't like Nashville, he probably does, but Nashville is known for not being able to keep players. Weber ofc will stay because hes captain, but I could definitely see Suter not wanting to sign an extension before testing Free Agency.

Faidh ar Rud Eigin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2010, 06:11 PM
Street Hawk

2 way street

Quote:
Originally Posted by Errettung View Post

I have a feeling Suter will want to "test" free agency. Not saying he doesn't like Nashville, he probably does, but Nashville is known for not being able to keep players. Weber ofc will stay because hes captain, but I could definitely see Suter not wanting to sign an extension before testing Free Agency.
Correct, it's a 2 way street with contracts for UFA guys. Weber would qualify for UFA status in 2012 if he opts to simply file for arbitration after this coming season to ensure he will be UFA in 2012. Pretty much the entire draft class of 2003 (the great class), the majority of them, save E. Staal, Horton, Bergeron all started in the fall of 2005 in the NHL and thus would be UFA at age 27 in 2012.

Each player has to decide how much they want to get in a contract, where they want to play, the team's chances of winning, or whatever other factors they want to consider.

They could stay long term or they could test UFA.

If Preds ownership wants to step up and commit to them long-term, they can do that too. Who are the top paid Dmen right now?

Chara - $7.5 million cap hit
Lidstrom - $6.8 million cap hit
I'll separate these 2 from the rest because they represent the older guard, same with Pronger.

Campbell - 7.14 million cap hit over 8 years
Keith - $5.5 million cap over 13 years. In real dollars and I think that would be important to the Preds, if Keith retires after year 11, his actual annual salary would have been $6.22 million, if he plays 10 years, it's a an annual salary of $6.575 million.
Phaneuf - $6.5 million cap hit (only 2 years of UFA were bought out)
Green - $5.25 million cap hit, no UFA years given up
Bouwmeester - $6.68 million over 5 years
Paul Martin - $5 million per in UFA

UFA years cost more than RFA years. If Suter is one of the top 8 blueliners when he hits UFA, his real salary over his playing time of the contract will for sure be $6 million per season or more. Cap hit would depend on length of contract.

Street Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2010, 06:13 PM
mm6492

8 years 58M

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2010, 06:14 PM
BlueShirts702

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
he'll never see the open market. The Preds will extend him before next season. He and Weber are the two players Poile has built his whole salary structure around.
Okay Pred fans...we get it.

Now, to the point of the post...he'll get 6.5-7.5 on the open market, IMO.

BlueShirts702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2010, 06:59 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Errettung View Post

I love know it all comments like this that include a platitude like the bolded above.

The fact is there hasnt been a UFA that we made a serious effort to try to keep that turned us down and went elsewhere. (By serious effort I mean making an offer near what the player eventually got.) There have been plenty of UFAs we chose not to retain but that doesnt mean we are not able to keep players. In most cases, the players we want to keep(like Legwand, Erat, and Vokoun before the firesale) get signed to extension before they ever hit the market, just like I expect both Suter and Weber to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueShirts702 View Post
Okay Pred fans...we get it.

Now, to the point of the post...he'll get 6.5-7.5 on the open market, IMO.
if you get it then what is the point of a thread like this??

Old
07-24-2010, 08:10 PM
gslice snipes

Maybe he might get one of the long term front loaded contracts you never know sort of maybe like keiths

gslice snipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2010, 11:45 PM
Oroku Saki*
Pete Hearts Volch

What if Suter wants to test the market out? The Preds might want him back but if he is set on seeing whats out there they might have to overpay.

Oroku Saki* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 01:22 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashing Lights View Post
What if Suter wants to test the market out? The Preds might want him back but if he is set on seeing whats out there they might have to overpay.
You never know for sure but we nashville fans gets the feeling he's happy there and enjoys being paired with Weber and I think he will also be offered the same money as weber and wiill take it and stay.

Old
07-25-2010, 01:26 AM
InglewoodJack

I think until then, Suter is the second or third least likely UFA to actually reach the market being Crosby/Malkin.

IMO, you can build a winner with Weber/Suter, get a few more players. I'm not saying I know Suter's personality, but with the sick chemistry he has with Weber, maybe he'd actually want to sign a cheap contract to keep them together. (IE Not the 6 mill+ he could get on UFA

Last edited by InglewoodJack: 07-25-2010 at 01:33 AM.
InglewoodJack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 01:27 AM
8BostonRocker24

If anyone signs him long(er) term (5+ years) at anything less then $7.0 million, they are getting a hell of a deal.

No one should have any issues if he signs with <insert favorite team here> for that price tag.

8BostonRocker24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 01:31 AM
ThisIsJetsHockey*

how did you find out the ufa class of 2012 ?? or other year's

ThisIsJetsHockey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 01:37 AM
Street Hawk

top end

Quote:
I love know it all comments like this that include a platitude like the bolded above.

The fact is there hasnt been a UFA that we made a serious effort to try to keep that turned us down and went elsewhere. (By serious effort I mean making an offer near what the player eventually got.) There have been plenty of UFAs we chose not to retain but that doesnt mean we are not able to keep players. In most cases, the players we want to keep(like Legwand, Erat, and Vokoun before the firesale) get signed to extension before they ever hit the market, just like I expect both Suter and Weber to do.

if you get it then what is the point of a thread like this??

True, the Preds retained Legwand, Erat and Vokoun. In Vokoun's case, the goalie market is pretty tough to land that big deal as a UFA. There has to be another team that doesn't have a guy under contract making more than $2 million per season in order to be able to sign a UFA goaltender. Vokoun was moved out prior to his new deal and NTC kicking in. I don't know if the Preds had already planned to move him after they re-signed him.

Legwand and Erat, solid 2nd line forwards, but not guys you build a team around.

Best player to leave the Preds was Timmonen. He's one of the best Dmen in the league. Other 2 guys who were there for a while and left were Hartnell and Hamhuis. I would classify both guys in the Legwand and Erat group of 2nd liners.

Both Weber and Suter would be the best players to sign out their UFA years with the Preds and still be in their Prime.

Up to them if they want to remain with the Preds. Wait and see what happens. Right now, combined both guys cost the Preds $8 million. Once they hit UFA status, I would think that combined they would cost any team $13 million or more in actual salary. Not talking cap hit, but actual salary as the Preds have an internal cap, so actual money paid is really more important than their cap hit. A team could do a Keith type deal to move the cap down, but real dollars going out will have to be much higher if there is to be 3 years of only $1 million per season at the end of the deal.

Street Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 02:49 AM
BLAME CANADA*
The Canucks did it

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
One, it's not like Nashville doesn't have the cap space. Two, when you get two young studs like that on the blueline you keep them together as long as you. Their games compliment each others perfectly so if you're the Preds and them, why would you want to split them up or leave?
I know they have the cap space but owners don't have the money... the Preds are being supported financially by the NHL I just can't see them spending 14 mil, could be more cause Weber can get 8 mil Suter 7-8 mil it could be as high as 16 mil for 2 D man with 4 more spots on the D to fill!. I'm sure the Preds will try and get them signed but those players could get 8 mil. Suter knows that if he hits UFA he can cash in and what team wouldn't want him?.

BLAME CANADA* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 02:57 AM
5H4RK5

I agree with the 6-7 million mark. He might take a smidge less to play for a contender. I would like to get him but with Doug and his wait and see signing style. Thornton and Gooch will probably have a breakout year and thus increasing there salary. It would be nice to sign them long term now at a reasonable rate thus knowing how much we have to work with for possible acquisitions such as a Suter if FA next year.

5H4RK5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 03:13 AM
Big Daddy Cane
#UndoNewStorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackTheJets View Post
how did you find out the ufa class of 2012 ?? or other year's
http://www.capgeek.com/free_agents.p...n=All&FAType=2

Big Daddy Cane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 10:36 AM
Webersmashpuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaaaBob View Post
I know they have the cap space but owners don't have the money... the Preds are being supported financially by the NHL I just can't see them spending 14 mil, could be more cause Weber can get 8 mil Suter 7-8 mil it could be as high as 16 mil for 2 D man with 4 more spots on the D to fill!. I'm sure the Preds will try and get them signed but those players could get 8 mil. Suter knows that if he hits UFA he can cash in and what team wouldn't want him?.
Too bad the owners have money and you have no idea what you are talking about. The Preds aren't being supported by the NHL.

The owners have said that they know what Weber wants and are willing to give it to him. I expect something like 6-7 for Weber and Suter will get 5-6. On the open market I would not be surprised to see him get around 7 or 8 million. A 36 year old Gonchar got 5.5 this year, and with the cap going up the next two years I could see Suter getting a lot of money.

Webersmashpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 10:46 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaaaBob View Post
Why don't you let the owners worry about that? In an interview this week, the topic of which was the financial position of the ownership group strengthening exponentially via the aquisition of the 27 percent of the team that was up in the air, Tom Cigarran said, almost verbatim:

"Shea Weber and Ryan Suter are the cornerstones of the Predators. We know they're going to get big raises, but we'll give it to them. They're going to be here for a long time"

Only an extremely foolish owner with no regard for his perception among fans makes a concrete statement like that. Consider also that when Weber's new deal would come up, Sullivan (3.75 million) and Ward(1.5) will be off the books, and likely replaced from within or at least a cheaper option. That cover's Weber's new salary. When Suter is up, Dumont(4 million) is gone, and both Erat and Legwand's actual dollars dip.

It's fair to speculate that maybe Suter wants to test the open market, but to write off the idea of keeping both because *you* think the Predators can't afford it is a little crazy.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 10:54 AM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:

Its not a "know at all comment", I never said they never keep players, like your attempting to imply thats what I meant, but Nashville over the years has not been known to keep players for a long time. You don't know if a team actually made a serious effort to sign a player, just because a player didn't sign didn't mean they just gave him an offer for ***** and giggles.

Its homerism to think that 100% guarenteed Suter will sign an extension just because the Preds have him as a pillar of the franchise. If it looks like Nashville isn't in the shape to win when next summer comes around, its very likely he'l want to test free agency.

Faidh ar Rud Eigin is offline   Reply With Quote