HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Versus Top 10 Centers

Old
07-27-2010, 10:15 PM
Super Reverse Homer

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Super Reverse Homer Send a message via MSN to Super Reverse Homer
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG32005 View Post
You can make an argument for Datsyuk, but Zetterberg doesn't even deserve to be spoken in the same breath.
I normally agree with all your posts; this is not one of those posts.

You are undervaluing Z big time here.

Super Reverse Homer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 11:18 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elephant In The Room View Post
I normally agree with all your posts; this is not one of those posts.

You are undervaluing Z big time here.
You think Zetterberg has the same offensive ability as a Crosby, Malkin, or Datsyuk? I'd put him on a tier below those 3.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 11:26 PM
Super Reverse Homer

Send a message via AIM to Super Reverse Homer Send a message via MSN to Super Reverse Homer
Quote:
You think Zetterberg has the same offensive ability as a Crosby, Malkin, or Datsyuk? I'd put him on a tier below those 3.
The poster you were responding to was listing his top 5 centers. That entails an all-around game, not just offensive ability.

Z is no worse than Malkin, for instance, in terms of an all-around game. Geno's offensive ceiling is higher, but right now Z is just as complete if not more.

Old
07-27-2010, 11:37 PM
lastcupever75
NY Roadkill

Quote:
People who live in glass houses, don't throw stones.

Crosby was slowed down greatly in both of his showings in the SCF. I wouldn't be so quick to call out another team's star player for doing the same.

who was shadowing richards like they were Sid??

lastcupever75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 11:39 PM
EastCoastEdmund

When this list is re-made next year Malkin will be no. 2

EastCoastEdmund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 11:40 PM
JTG

Quote:
The poster you were responding to was listing his top 5 centers. That entails an all-around game, not just offensive ability.

Z is no worse than Malkin, for instance, in terms of an all-around game. Geno's offensive ceiling is higher, but right now Z is just as complete if not more.
When Malkin is on his game, he's a very good defensive player, and I don't think Z's defensive ability makes up for his lack of offensive ability when compared with a guy like Malkin. That's just my opinion.

Old
07-27-2010, 11:43 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastcupever75 View Post
who was shadowing richards like they were Sid??
The Norris trophy winner and a guy who is considered Chris Pronger Lite. I can't quite remember the matchup's as far as offensive lines go, but I'd imagine that Richards got a facefull of John Madden too.

Old
07-27-2010, 11:46 PM
Super Reverse Homer

Quote:
When Malkin is on his game, he's a very good defensive player, and I don't think Z's defensive ability makes up for his lack of offensive ability when compared with a guy like Malkin. That's just my opinion.
That's the issue though. I feel that Z tends to be on his game a lot more consistently than Geno is. That goes into the equation too.

Old
07-27-2010, 11:50 PM
lastcupever75
NY Roadkill

Quote:
The Norris trophy winner and a guy who is considered Chris Pronger Lite. I can't quite remember the matchup's as far as offensive lines go, but I'd imagine that Richards got a facefull of John Madden too.
so whoever you think was 'shadowing' him was standing next to him in all 3 zones when their teams didn't have the puck? like Z was with sid???

Old
07-28-2010, 12:00 AM
JTG

Quote:
That's the issue though. I feel that Z tends to be on his game a lot more consistently than Geno is. That goes into the equation too.
I still think that's an age thing, though. Malkin will probably never be as consistent as Z is, but Z will never have the game breaking ability that Geno has. I have hope Geno's consistency will get better as he gets older.

Old
07-28-2010, 12:02 AM
JTG

Quote:
so whoever you think was 'shadowing' him was standing next to him in all 3 zones when their teams didn't have the puck? like Z was with sid???
Probably not, because Mike Richards isn't Sidney Crosby. You don't have to keep tabs on him all 60 mins of the game. I'm sure that someone on Chicago's offense had the assignment though. Whether that was Madden, I don't recall.

Star players are going to pretty much get treated the same in a situation like the SCF. Richards is a star player for Philly.

Old
07-28-2010, 12:46 AM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

vCash: 300
Where the hell is Eric Staal on this list and in ALL these discussions? I've seen his name mentioned like 5 times in 6 pages. This guy lee his team to a Cup and has been a dominant force ever since. He's top 5 in my opinion.

King Forsberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 01:42 AM
AugustBurnsRed*
Invisible Calls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timonen View Post
Where the hell is Eric Staal on this list and in ALL these discussions? I've seen his name mentioned like 5 times in 6 pages. This guy lee his team to a Cup and has been a dominant force ever since. He's top 5 in my opinion.
Ehh.. I like Eric Staal, I don't know if he's top 5. He's really inconsistent.. he usually just starts off super slow and finishes off really well. That said I'd probably put him in there somehow. I don't think I'd put him top 5 though. He's had one 100 point season and the others have been exactly a point per game or a little below.

AugustBurnsRed* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 04:25 PM
lastcupever75
NY Roadkill

Quote:
Probably not, because Mike Richards isn't Sidney Crosby. You don't have to keep tabs on him all 60 mins of the game. I'm sure that someone on Chicago's offense had the assignment though. Whether that was Madden, I don't recall.

Star players are going to pretty much get treated the same in a situation like the SCF. Richards is a star player for Philly.
if i recall correctly, laviolette was using richards to match up with toews most of the time

Old
07-28-2010, 05:47 PM
JTG

Quote:
if i recall correctly, laviolette was using richards to match up with toews most of the time
Ok? Toews is a damn good two-way forward. You also have to take into consideration, that the same argument that we use for Staal can be used for Richards. Both coaches that Richards played under liked to go Richards v. the other teams top guys, so Richards goal isn't really to put up offense. He still does, but he also makes it miserable for the opposition to play against him.

Your argument is beat man. You can keep trying to put Richards down and build Crosby up, or say that the players were under different circumstances, but the fact remains. Both players were held down in the SCF. It happens to pretty much every star player when things get tighter.

Old
07-28-2010, 05:53 PM
cassius

Quote:
Originally Posted by AugustBurnsRed View Post
Ehh.. I like Eric Staal, I don't know if he's top 5. He's really inconsistent.. he usually just starts off super slow and finishes off really well. That said I'd probably put him in there somehow. I don't think I'd put him top 5 though. He's had one 100 point season and the others have been exactly a point per game or a little below.
Eric Staal is a good player for sure, but take him out of the SE Division and I doubt he would crack 80 points.

cassius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 09:19 PM
AugustBurnsRed*
Invisible Calls

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassius View Post
Eric Staal is a good player for sure, but take him out of the SE Division and I doubt he would crack 80 points.
Depends though, he doesn't have that much help so maybe that evens it out.

AugustBurnsRed* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 11:24 PM
froods
Millerrrrrrr!!!

It is hard to judge players who don't make the playoffs. Kopitar should be up there too

Last edited by froods: 07-28-2010 at 11:41 PM.
froods is offline   Reply With Quote