HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Mixed Martial Arts
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mixed Martial Arts UFC, Bellator, HDNet Fights, WSOF, MFC, KOTC, One FC, and others

UFC Live on Versus 2: Jones vs. Matyushenko

Old
07-27-2010, 05:08 PM
DaaaaB's

vCash: 500
MAIN CARD
Jon Jones vs. Vladimir Matyushenko
Mark Munoz vs. Yushin Okami
Jake Ellenberger vs. John Howard
Takanori Gomi vs. Tyson Griffin

PRELIMINARY CARD
Paul Kelly vs. Jacob Volkmann
DaMarques Johnson vs. Matthew Riddle
Mike Massenzio vs. Brian Stann

DaaaaB's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 06:35 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

MAIN CARD
Jon Jones vs. Vladimir Matyushenko (3 points)
Mark Munoz vs. Yushin Okami (2 points)

PRELIMINARY CARD (1 point)
James Irvin vs. Igor Pokrajac

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 11:48 PM
northstarsforever

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPipkin View Post
Which is actually why I wouldn't mind compiling it all. Enough free time
Well I've already started it. I guess you can do the non-UFC stuff? Sorry about that.

northstarsforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 07:14 AM
HighAndTight
Pimp Squad For Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by northstarsforever View Post
Well I've already started it. I guess you can do the non-UFC stuff? Sorry about that.
No I just meant if you are ever away or behind I can tally the points for you etc. Other then that don't worry about it

HighAndTight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 10:20 AM
Jasper

Jasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 10:50 AM
Ensane
EL GUAPO

MAIN CARD

Darren Elkins vs. Charles Oliveira
Rob Kimmons vs. Steve Steinbeiss

Ensane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 12:05 PM
Captain_Cunney

Everyone is officially off the Gomi bandwagon? I know he didn't look great in his first fight but Kenflo is a much better fighter than Tyson. Tyson should be the favourite, no doubt, I'm just a little stunned nobody else is rolling the dice on the fireball kid.

Tyson has had problems with wrestlers in the past and Gomi's hands are much better than his. This one seems like a toss up but I could see the fight happening on the feet and Gomi out pointing him.

Captain_Cunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 12:13 PM
DeathFromAbove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Cunney View Post
Everyone is officially off the Gomi bandwagon? I know he didn't look great in his first fight but Kenflo is a much better fighter than Tyson. Tyson should be the favourite, no doubt, I'm just a little stunned nobody else is rolling the dice on the fireball kid.

Tyson has had problems with wrestlers in the past and Gomi's hands are much better than his. This one seems like a toss up but I could see the fight happening on the feet and Gomi out pointing him.
Gomi looked really really bad in every aspect against Florian. I don't see any reason why Tyson shouldn't win this fight

DeathFromAbove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 12:17 PM
colonel_korn
Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?

It's not just the fight with Florian, Gomi hasn't looked particularly good since... I dunno, since he beat Ishida 3 1/2 years ago? Also from what I've read Gomi came out and trained at Xtreme Couture a year or two ago and Griffin basically mopped the floor with him.

I guess Gomi could win on points (Griffin did get outboxed by Sean Sherk after all) but I'd be really surprised.

colonel_korn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 01:48 PM
The Rage

Jon Jones vs. Vladimir Matyushenko
Mark Munoz vs. Yushin Okami

The Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 02:51 PM
m9

vCash: 50
Good bunch of fights. The toughest for me was Howard vs Ellenberger.. great matchup. I like Ellenberger to win.

So how does it work if people don't pick fights? People shouldn't lose points if they actually try to pick the tough fights. You just get the total for what you get right, correct?

Last edited by m9: 07-29-2010 at 01:59 PM.
m9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 03:21 PM
Captain_Cunney

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel_korn View Post
It's not just the fight with Florian, Gomi hasn't looked particularly good since... I dunno, since he beat Ishida 3 1/2 years ago? Also from what I've read Gomi came out and trained at Xtreme Couture a year or two ago and Griffin basically mopped the floor with him.
Interesting, I hadn't heard that.

Quote:
I guess Gomi could win on points (Griffin did get outboxed by Sean Sherk after all) but I'd be really surprised.
This was my reasoning. Gomi has looked bad lately but Tyson Griffin isn't in the very top tier of LW's. He's had troubles with wrestlers' in the past and I don't see why Gomi can't give him the same problems. I think this is a better matchup for him than the original JoeDaddy fight would've been.

I wouldn't put any money on the line or anything like that, I'm just a little suprised so many are picking Griffin.

Old
07-28-2010, 11:23 PM
northstarsforever

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark9 View Post
MAIN CARD

So how does it work if people don't pick fights? People shouldn't lose points if they actually try to pick the tough fights. You just get the total for what you get right, correct?
The way the people who commented on the pick em thread wanted was a subtraction for getting a fight wrong. The reasoning was so people just didn't throw up guesses.

Old
07-29-2010, 01:27 AM
cyris
On a Soma Holiday

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel_korn View Post

Sherk is a much better fighter than people give him credit for and has pretty underrated boxing.
He has only 4 career losses and all of them were to guys who would go on to hold a title belt soon after.

cyris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2010, 08:43 AM
Captain_Cunney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyris View Post
Sherk is a much better fighter than people give him credit for and has pretty underrated boxing.
His boxing is alright but he has those stubby arms that get him in trouble (he has to really close the distance to land crisp shots). I think Gomi's hands are at a much higher level than Sherks', which gives him a chance in this fight, IMO.

Old
07-29-2010, 09:50 AM
m9

Quote:
The way the people who commented on the pick em thread wanted was a subtraction for getting a fight wrong. The reasoning was so people just didn't throw up guesses.
I don't think you can do it like this, it doesn't work. People throwing up guesses is fine, the people who are better at it will come through eventually. You can't subtract points for wrong answers, people will just pick and choosing the easy fights and leaving out the tough ones.

Old
07-29-2010, 10:43 AM
Captain_Cunney

Quote:
I don't think you can do it like this, it doesn't work. People throwing up guesses is fine, the people who are better at it will come through eventually. You can't subtract points for wrong answers, people will just pick and choosing the easy fights and leaving out the tough ones.
I don't think there is anything wrong with it, nor does the majority going by the other thread. I for one expect to get numerous picks wrong and I'm just fine with losing points over it, I will still be making picks on the majority of the fights.

There isn't anything at stake here besides a foolish sense of pride, it really isn't a big deal to lose points on incorrect guesses. If someone wants to pick 2/3 fights a card so be it, it's gonna be tough to put up any sort of serious pts doing so.

Old
07-29-2010, 11:59 AM
northstarsforever

Quote:
Honestly I didn't set it up. I just went off of based what the majority said. I honestly don't think anyone objected when we set it up.

Old
07-29-2010, 01:03 PM
HighAndTight
Pimp Squad For Life

Quote:
Honestly I didn't set it up. I just went off of based what the majority said. I honestly don't think anyone objected when we set it up.
Exactly. Weird how he wants it he total opposite to what everyone already agreed to

Old
07-29-2010, 01:57 PM
m9

I understand it's just for fun, I just find it kind of weird that people can just pick and choose if they wanted. If you want to skip cards that's cool, but leaving off fights because you don't know whose going to win is kind of weak.. that's kind of the whole point of it. I wish my NFL pool would let me leave out the tough games every week if I wasn't sure.

Old
07-29-2010, 03:32 PM
HighAndTight
Pimp Squad For Life

Quote:
I understand it's just for fun, I just find it kind of weird that people can just pick and choose if they wanted. If you want to skip cards that's cool, but leaving off fights because you don't know whose going to win is kind of weak.. that's kind of the whole point of it. I wish my NFL pool would let me leave out the tough games every week if I wasn't sure.
I get what your going with it and I sort of agree, but the argument is that the fights that aren't being picked are lowest of the prelims and both are fighters that most will know nothing about so at best they are just randomly guessing. I don't mind them not taking the risk while I do, considering its just for fun.

Old
07-29-2010, 04:03 PM
m9

That's cool, fair enough.

Just glad that August is almost here so there's a steady stream of fights to actually be talking about.

Old
07-29-2010, 06:22 PM
Jasper

Quote:
Can people really make accurate predictions on lower end prelims on a card like this? Maybe some people can but I never miss a card and couldn't do it. I'd rather not be penalized for not taking a 50/50 guess.

Jasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2010, 06:56 PM
BGDDYKWL

No penalty for guessing so I included them all.

MAIN CARD
Jon Jones vs. Vladimir Matyushenko (A lot of people are saying don't sleep on Vlad but I think the odds are about right on this one. Jones is an entirely different animal. Some are saying Vlad will outwrestle him and dictate the pace. I don't see it happening.)
Mark Munoz vs. Yushin Okami (Sonnen dominated Okami, and I see this one going similarly. I think Munoz will outwrestle him and control the fight. My main concern is Munoz eating a knee.)

PRELIMINARY CARD
Paul Kelly vs. Jacob Volkmann (Volkmann has been anything but impressive, but he was thrown to the wolves in a sense getting Thiago and Kampmann back to back (plus he was clearly undersized). He should be able to take this.)
Mike Massenzio vs. Brian Stann (I'm a little surprised Stann is a decent underdog here.)

Last edited by BGDDYKWL: 07-29-2010 at 07:05 PM.
BGDDYKWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2010, 08:00 PM
m9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper View Post
Can people really make accurate predictions on lower end prelims on a card like this? Maybe some people can but I never miss a card and couldn't do it. I'd rather not be penalized for not taking a 50/50 guess.
Some people can around here, yeah.. but there's way more unpredictability with those fights for the most part.