HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Mixed Martial Arts
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Mixed Martial Arts UFC, Bellator, HDNet Fights, WSOF, MFC, KOTC, One FC, and others

UFC Live on Versus 2: Jones vs. Matyushenko

Old
07-30-2010, 11:45 AM
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War

vCash: 500
If I don't know the fighters I just compare records, strength of schedule and style. Then make what I believe to be an informed decision...To bad people have control over their own lives and all that garbage

AndyPipkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2010, 01:24 PM
m9

I really, really have to question people who are picking Matyushenko to win this fight. I know it's fun picking underdogs but this is just absurd. If this fight stays on the feet, it's not even close. Jones moves likes a welterweight, and Vladdy moves like a heavyweight.

People are vastly under-rating Jones' wrestling as well. He is straight-up the better wrestler in the fight right now. His quickness to get away from the clinch and out of scrambles is as good as it gets in the LHW division.

Jones, TKO in the first. Vladdy will get swept, get smashed up from side control on the ground and cover up for dear life until the ref saves him.

The ONLY way I see Jones losing is if he gets careless and leaves an arm out for too long while he's in top control and ends up subbed in an armbar.

m9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2010, 01:42 PM
AndyPipkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark9 View Post
I really, really have to question people who are picking Matyushenko to win this fight. I know it's fun picking underdogs but this is just absurd. If this fight stays on the feet, it's not even close. Jones moves likes a welterweight, and Vladdy moves like a heavyweight.

People are vastly under-rating Jones' wrestling as well. He is straight-up the better wrestler in the fight right now. His quickness to get away from the clinch and out of scrambles is as good as it gets in the LHW division.

Jones, TKO in the first. Vladdy will get swept, get smashed up from side control on the ground and cover up for dear life until the ref saves him.

The ONLY way I see Jones losing is if he gets careless and leaves an arm out for too long while he's in top control and ends up subbed in an armbar.
Have you ever seen Vladdy fight?
His only losses are to Arlovski, Ortiz, Vernon Tiger White, and Little Nog.
He's so well rounded that he could win in any number of ways. He's also much in the mold of Linland where he could grind out a decision win.
All that being said, I still think Bones can find a way to win.

Old
07-30-2010, 02:01 PM
m9

Why is that automatically the defense on this board when someone has a differing opinion.. "Have you even seen so and so fight?"

Yes, I've seen him fight. I haven't watched every single one of his fights, but I've seen a good amount of them. I'm aware of who he's fought and he's lost to, but thanks for the recap. I'm also aware that he hasn't beaten a relevant fighter in years, but you carefully left that out of your recap.

So why not tell me HOW you think he can win this fight instead of just analyzing his win-loss record? He's well-rounded.. really? Jon Jones is well-rounded too, and is better at almost every aspect of the game.

Old
07-30-2010, 02:22 PM
AndyPipkin

Just saying that you think Bones could sweep Vladdy makes me think you don't know about Vladdy's full skill set.
I can see this turning into a Couture/Vera type fight. Except Vladdy will grind it out on the ground instead of against the cage.
No real need to freak out considering I still think Bones is going to win, I just don't think he's such a heavy underdog as you make it out to be.

Its not that absurd to pick a vet over a guy who has zero top 10 wins.

Old
07-30-2010, 02:38 PM
m9

I'm not freaking out, it's just insulting to hear someone throw out comments about 'not watching someone' fight and then backing it up by reading off a fightfinder directory of losses, give me a break. I don't need an MMA history lesson like a 10 year old kid. Like I said, I just wanted some actual reasons people had for thinking he could win.

Of course Matyushenko could win, anything can happen. I know he has the ability to ground and pound Jones out, or catch him with a sub on the ground. Jones' chin needs to be tested as well, and if he gets caught who knows what could happen. There are always ways for anyone to win a fight when you're talking about UFC calibre guys.

It's just frusterating to hear people talk about Matyushenko using his wrestling to win, when I don't think he's the better wrestler. I just want to know if people actually think he'll win the fight, or they're just picking him to be different and for the "I told you so!" afterwards.

Old
07-30-2010, 03:14 PM
Nalyd Psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark9 View Post
I'm not freaking out, it's just insulting to hear someone throw out comments about 'not watching someone' fight and then backing it up by reading off a fightfinder directory of losses, give me a break. I don't need an MMA history lesson like a 10 year old kid. Like I said, I just wanted some actual reasons people had for thinking he could win.

Of course Matyushenko could win, anything can happen. I know he has the ability to ground and pound Jones out, or catch him with a sub on the ground. Jones' chin needs to be tested as well, and if he gets caught who knows what could happen. There are always ways for anyone to win a fight when you're talking about UFC calibre guys.

It's just frusterating to hear people talk about Matyushenko using his wrestling to win, when I don't think he's the better wrestler. I just want to know if people actually think he'll win the fight, or they're just picking him to be different and for the "I told you so!" afterwards.
Fair enough, but, others, myself included, feel Matyushenko is the superior wrestler. I also feel that his loses strengthen his mental game. Jones will probably win, but I think the Janitor has a better chance at winning then most others.

07-30-2010, 03:30 PM
m9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalyd Psycho View Post
Fair enough, but, others, myself included, feel Matyushenko is the superior wrestler. I also feel that his loses strengthen his mental game. Jones will probably win, but I think the Janitor has a better chance at winning then most others.
That's cool, I can respect that. The wrestling will no doubt be a key to the fight. I hope Matyushenko can come out and put on a good fight, I'd love a 3 round back and forth war.

Old
07-30-2010, 03:35 PM
AndyPipkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalyd Psycho View Post
Worded perfectly.

Didn't mean to insult you mark

Old
07-30-2010, 04:26 PM
colonel_korn
Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?

MAIN CARD
Jon Jones vs. Vladimir Matyushenko (tko) -- respect for Vladdy but I don't see him taking this fight
Mark Munoz vs. Yushin Okami (dec) -- Okami's boxing looked pretty good last fight and Munoz has gotten lit up a few times. On the other hand, Okami was badly outwrestled by Sonnen and Munoz is a good wrestler himself. Could go either way but I'll bet on the wrestling having the biggereffect.
Jake Ellenberger vs. John Howard (dec) -- another one that could go either way, but I've been just a little bit more impressed by Ellenberger's performances in the UFC than Howard's.
Takanori Gomi vs. Tyson Griffin (dec) -- nothing about any of Gomi's recent performances make me think he'll win this one.

PRELIMINARY CARD
Paul Kelly vs. Jacob Volkmann (dec)
DaMarques Johnson vs. Matthew Riddle (dec)
James Irvin vs. Igor Pokrajac -- not betting on a James Irvin fight, too much weird **** could happen
Mike Massenzio vs. Brian Stann (dec) -- wrestling
Darren Elkins vs. Charles Oliveira -- no idea
Rob Kimmons vs. Steve Steinbeiss (sub) -- Steinbeiss shouldn't be in the UFC

thanks for organizing this northstars

colonel_korn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2010, 05:44 PM
Jasper

Jones is an animal. I'd have a hard time betting against him on anyone. A great attitude to match his ability.

Jasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2010, 07:35 PM
m9

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel_korn View Post
MAIN CARD
Jon Jones vs. Vladimir Matyushenko (tko) -- respect for Vladdy but I don't see him taking this fight
Mark Munoz vs. Yushin Okami (dec) -- Okami's boxing looked pretty good last fight and Munoz has gotten lit up a few times. On the other hand, Okami was badly outwrestled by Sonnen and Munoz is a good wrestler himself. Could go either way but I'll bet on the wrestling having the biggereffect.
Jake Ellenberger vs. John Howard (dec) -- another one that could go either way, but I've been just a little bit more impressed by Ellenberger's performances in the UFC than Howard's.
Takanori Gomi vs. Tyson Griffin (dec) -- nothing about any of Gomi's recent performances make me think he'll win this one.

PRELIMINARY CARD
Paul Kelly vs. Jacob Volkmann (dec)
DaMarques Johnson vs. Matthew Riddle (dec)
James Irvin vs. Igor Pokrajac -- not betting on a James Irvin fight, too much weird **** could happen
Mike Massenzio vs. Brian Stann (dec) -- wrestling
Darren Elkins vs. Charles Oliveira -- no idea
Rob Kimmons vs. Steve Steinbeiss (sub) -- Steinbeiss shouldn't be in the UFC

thanks for organizing this northstars
I actually agree with almost all of your picks and I think every single thing you posted here, really weird. The only fight I think will go differently will be Okami.. I think Munoz and his suspect chin will get TKO'd by Okami at some point.

Old
07-31-2010, 05:49 PM
northstarsforever

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPipkin View Post
I get what your going with it and I sort of agree, but the argument is that the fights that aren't being picked are lowest of the prelims and both are fighters that most will know nothing about so at best they are just randomly guessing. I don't mind them not taking the risk while I do, considering its just for fun.
Exactly and that's why I only had made the prelims one point because you could argue they're less important and some of the fighters are definitely lesser known. So some people, myself included , would just throw up guesses on some fights. I don't think that shows anything so that's why I have the subtraction deal. If someone only picked the main card or only picked one or two prelims they probably wouldn't do very well besides.

northstarsforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2010, 06:50 PM
bennysflyers16

MAIN CARD
Jon Jones vs. Vladimir Matyushenko (3 points)
Mark Munoz vs. Yushin Okami (2 points)
Jake Ellenberger vs. John Howard
Takanori Gomi vs. Tyson Griffin

PRELIMINARY CARD (1 point)
Paul Kelly vs. Jacob Volkmann
DaMarques Johnson vs. Matthew Riddle
James Irvin vs. Igor Pokrajac
Mike Massenzio vs. Brian Stann
Darren Elkins vs. Charles Oliveira
Rob Kimmons vs. Steve Steinbeiss

bennysflyers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2010, 07:07 PM
northstarsforever

[QUOTE=Bennysflyers16;27185365]MAIN CARD

[Quote/]
Is your pick Kelly?

Old
07-31-2010, 07:07 PM
northstarsforever

[QUOTE=northstarsforever;27185514]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
MAIN CARD

Is your pick Kelly?

Old
07-31-2010, 07:10 PM
northstarsforever

DeMarques Johnson weighs in at 172 so he'll have to cut some more weight.

Old
07-31-2010, 07:24 PM
bennysflyers16

[QUOTE=northstarsforever;27185516]
Quote:
Originally Posted by northstarsforever View Post
Is your pick Kelly?
Oops ,, yes Kelly, thanks !!

bennysflyers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2010, 11:35 PM
northstarsforever

Johnson could not make weight even with extra attempts so the bout will be contested as a catchweight and he will be fined 20% of his purse.

Old
08-01-2010, 07:24 AM
alexthekidd

Jon Jones vs. Vladimir Matyushenko (3 points)
Mark Munoz vs. Yushin Okami (2 points)
Jake Ellenberger vs. John Howard
Takanori Gomi vs. Tyson Griffin

PRELIMINARY CARD (1 point)
DaMarques Johnson vs. Matthew Riddle
James Irvin vs. Igor Pokrajac

alexthekidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 02:59 PM
northstarsforever

1 more hour for picks.

Old
08-01-2010, 05:19 PM
kurt
the last emperor

Looks like I'm too late to submit picks, but I think Gomi and Okami will both come out with wins. I also think Vladdy has a real shot at winning this.

kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 06:22 PM
Jasper

Matyushenko is +475 on Bodog. I think Jones beats him pretty easy but the odds are too crazy not to throw a few bucks on Vlad. Who knows what might happen.

Jasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 07:37 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Shocked that Irvin lost. Normally wouldn't post an undercard spoiler. But. I'm shocked.

Sandman is done in the UFC for sure

Hopefully he can get back on track in Strikeforce.

EvilCorporateLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 08:43 PM
alexthekidd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Shocked that Irvin lost. Normally wouldn't post an undercard spoiler. But. I'm shocked.

Sandman is done in the UFC for sure

Hopefully he can get back on track in Strikeforce.
Anderson just ruined the poor guy.

alexthekidd is offline   Reply With Quote