HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who will regress this year???

Old
07-25-2010, 02:34 AM
denkiteki

vCash: 500
Samuelsson or Burrows... whoever gets less time with the Sedins will without a doubt regress in terms of production. Raymond also ended the season fairly cold so he might have a slow start.

denkiteki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 02:49 AM
Durr
give me gum gum

Send a message via MSN to Durr
Raymond and Samuelsson.

Durr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 03:02 AM
canucks1982

all of our top 6 fowards had career years last year. sedins/kesler/burrows/sam/raymond

I expect the sedins to drop a little. proably 95 to 105 points infthey play a full season

burrows. I really don't see burrow getting any better but that being said bernier and wellwood are gone so maybe he gets more powerplay time and with malhotra. burrows will get less pk time. so burows should be more fresh

Kelser should about the same

Sam: should be about the same

Raymond: should be a little better this year. he had career year but was really inconsistant. had a few 10 to 12 games goaless drought. last quarter of the season and in the playoff Raymond had no powerplay time at. the powerplay time was given to demitra. I expect Raymond to be on 2nd powerplay unit the whole year now that Demitra is gone

canucks1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 03:46 AM
Win One Before I Die
Former Booth Fan

Send a message via MSN to Win One Before I Die
Quote:
Originally Posted by canucks1982 View Post
all of our top 6 fowards had career years last year. sedins/kesler/burrows/sam/raymond

I expect the sedins to drop a little. proably 95 to 105 points infthey play a full season

burrows. I really don't see burrow getting any better but that being said bernier and wellwood are gone so maybe he gets more powerplay time and with malhotra. burrows will get less pk time. so burows should be more fresh

Kelser should about the same

Sam: should be about the same

Raymond: should be a little better this year. he had career year but was really inconsistant. had a few 10 to 12 games goaless drought. last quarter of the season and in the playoff Raymond had no powerplay time at. the powerplay time was given to demitra. I expect Raymond to be on 2nd powerplay unit the whole year now that Demitra is gone
While some regress, I think Daniel will have a career year, basically covering up any regressing players down turns.

Daniel is due for a 40 goal season once in his career. More than likely, it is next year.

Win One Before I Die is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 05:31 AM
Hammer79

Darcy Hordichuk seems to be less effective with his ice time, he's now just our designated heavy weight. One who doesn't play well when not fighting, and doesn't always want to fight. Rypien wasn't exactly stellar on the 4th line last year either...

As for who will improve, Daniel from a stat standpoint. If it wasn't for the injury, both him and Henrik could have been in competition with each other for that Hart trophy. If Bieksa does stay, I think he's going to surprise a lot of people here. Ballard will put up better stats by virtue of playing on a better team. I also think Raymond will build on his good season last year and put up impressive numbers. Luongo's going to show why his contract is a bargain.

Hammer79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 06:02 AM
GCM
Stork

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outraged666 View Post
While some regress, I think Daniel will have a career year, basically covering up any regressing players down turns.

Daniel is due for a 40 goal season once in his career. More than likely, it is next year.
Agreed.

GCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 06:28 AM
serge2k

Sedins will drop but just slightly. Still 100 points roughly.

Samuelsson will stay about the same because he will play with the Sedins.

Burrows production will drop, and injuries will increase that drop.

Salo will drop obviously.

Raymond will increase. Kesler about the same.

Edler increase.

serge2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 09:22 AM
Scurr

I'm suprised that so many of you think the Sedin's aren't going to put up big #'s. Henrik did manage a point a game with Daniel out last season but they we're unreal in the 60 games they played together. Sammy and Burrows give them two options they're comfortable with, I can see them having another huge season.

Burrows is going to have a tough time this season me thinks. He's coming off a significant injury and has trouble producing 5 on 5 with anyone other then the twins. I think he starts slow but has atleast one great stretch with Hank and Dank and comes in around 20 goals.

I think the question is a fair one. Hard to imagine everyone continuing to produce at the same clip.

Scurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 09:47 AM
ZyggZagg

I think Burrows will "regress", but I don't think that's really a fair thing to say. I love him and he obviously has skill, but 35 goals was definately over achieving...

ZyggZagg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 09:50 AM
Nine to Five
Now Eight to Four!

For whatever reason I feel there's no way raymond's going to score. I still feel he benefited from kesler breaking out and though he'd he play with kesler again, I'd be surprised (albeit very pleasantly surprised) if he does that again.

yes young player still growing, etc. but that's how i feel about the guy, and to a much lesser extent, kesler.

Nine to Five is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 12:10 PM
defer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
I'm suprised that so many of you think the Sedin's aren't going to put up big #'s. Henrik did manage a point a game with Daniel out last season but they we're unreal in the 60 games they played together. Sammy and Burrows give them two options they're comfortable with, I can see them having another huge season.

Burrows is going to have a tough time this season me thinks. He's coming off a significant injury and has trouble producing 5 on 5 with anyone other then the twins. I think he starts slow but has atleast one great stretch with Hank and Dank and comes in around 20 goals.

I think the question is a fair one. Hard to imagine everyone continuing to produce at the same clip.
It is hard to jump from 80 to 110 points and keep it up year after year. not saying he didnt play amazing last year but....the whole top 6 did and everyone benefited from the people around them playing great.

I can see daniel having a season like henrik did last year.

defer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 02:56 PM
crazyforhockey

The sedins......with both playing Henrik was 1.49 pppg....over 82 gms=122pts upside + the pp with some sublime talent in Hodgson(halfboards) our defence ...any number of avaliable point man(incl Sammuelsson)the Sedins could put up career numbers in pp points.They are usually near the top in evenstrenngth points the last 3 yrs.Will be suvery surprised if they are under 100pt each..Daniel gets another 19 gms to add to his total.

plus the obvious fact that this team could have 3 solid scoring lines rather than two.Therby other teams have to stretch their defensive resources.

Finally Burrows was hurt since feb--hurt the lines overall numbers abit.....so he has a chance to improve or stay the same at the worst..he may be slow to go from the start and even miss some time..but when healthy willl have a good Febb,mar,Apr compared to last year..will be similiar numbers to last year.I heisnt on the sedins line he will drop but someone else's numbers will be through the roof.

Raymond,Kesler and ???? can put up similiar or bigger numbers as the yplay together for a full year...raymond spent time on 3rd line.And if bot htop lines are healthy for a full year....they will both benefit.

Demne might score less goals than last year..but thier pt total will be much higher as you have three pairings tha tcan contribute on a reglar basis....

keep in mind that our offence was limited for the first few mths due to all the injuries.So maybe their goal total from the dcorp may be higher.....

LY 29+29+35 goals from top line=93 goals
25+25+30 from 2nd line = 75 g

third line (wellwood,Bernier??hansen??? apporx 14+11+9=34goals....now some of those goals were scored by players on diffrent lines...pp or sh...but the jist is the same..

dont you think we can improve on the 34 g from the the third line?....Malholtra scored 14g last year ca nhe do the same...Can hodgson put in 15g? there other winger 10g+

Bottom line is the 1st four games.....the 1st line was going ....its production cooled abit but the 2nd line got hot.....evetually we had two lines rolling along one after the other...then the thrid line would sputter and/or the 4th line

we have a great oppotunity for three lines to roll one after the other.....improved our F/o 's (malholtra)........coupled with 4-5 guys that can carry the puck and score/shoot or dish......if that happens then we could see our GF jumped dramitically this year.

If healthy this team will score at least 28-40 more goals than last year.

crazyforhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 03:08 PM
crazyforhockey

The sedins when Sundin was aquired......and a number of games later Kesler was put on the 2nd line...was the first time this team had two solid scoring lines with the Sedins on the 1st.
3 gms later Burr went to the Sedin line ........Burr .90 ppg and Sedins bothover 1.15 pts ppg.

Last year was the 2nd year in a row that we had two scoring lines...put up HUGE numbers even though Daniel missed time(19 gms) and the offence sputtered overall due to defensive injuries + forward injuries.As mentioned above their ppg were dramiticaly higher with the Twins playing together.

we dont expect Ovie or Croasby if healthy to backslide on points why should people expect the sedins to backslide....Crosby has had at least 2 lines most of his career....Ovie has had 2 lines for a number of years....Sedins finally have help on their side

Old
07-25-2010, 03:11 PM
keslehr*

Regress:

Sedins go to 90 point range, Burrows gets around 25 and Samuelsson gets around the same.

keslehr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 03:26 PM
The Big Foot

This is a very valid thread, I think a lot of the forwards will go down numbers-wise this year. All of the top-six are candidates for dropoffs.

The x-factor is Luongo. Seems crazy to say he's a candidate for comeback player of the year coming off an Olympic gold, but he could have a huge bounce back. Maybe its cause his struggles were so well-documented last year, but I could see him getting back to Vezina caliber form. With the solid defense I think the GF-GA totals will look pretty different for the team, but it looks like we're a way better team.

The Big Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 03:48 PM
billvanseattle

eternal optomist

I believe the Sedins are both going to have career years. They have nothing left to prove (regular season), either of them. Even their own personal troll on here has to agree.

Kesler is an enigma for me. I suspect he has either peaked, and slides a bit this year, or takes another step up. I don't think he will be the same as last year.

The person I see with the most potenital to suprise is Hodgson ... I really expect him to be a major challenge for rookie of the year.

If Hodgson has a good year, it will mean we have 3 lines contributing, and that is going to play hell with opposing defenses.

I think we will once again be #2 in scoring.

billvanseattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 04:06 PM
Nuckles
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Sidebar

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slapshot_11 View Post
Most likely to regress:

Samuelsson- I think he will get 20-25 goals and 40-50 points next season

Burrows- May not be ready for the season and may lose his spot to Sammy... 20-30 goals depending what line he is on

Sedins- I dont expect them to be 100 point players but should be in the 90 point range

Salo
- Already injured and will have a reduced role

Most likely to progress:

Luongo
- Had a disappointing season by his standards and with the the new D I think he will be great

Raymond
- 30 goals is possible for him if he remains on the 2nd line with Kesler

Hansen- If he makes the lineup and plays on the 3rd line I think 10-15 goals along with 30 points is possible

Kesler- Has been improving his shot a lot and I think he can get 30 goals and be in the 75-80 point range while be great defensively
I completely agree with you.
I was going to say the exact same thing for most of the players.

Nuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 04:57 PM
mrmyheadhurts
Registered Loser

I don't like to make predictions but I will be very curious to see how Kesler reacts to being paid 5m per season. Some players end up trying too hard or changing their game when they have the expectations that come with bigger pay. Hopefully Kesler sticks with what earned him his raise in the first place.

mrmyheadhurts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 05:29 PM
Johnny Canucker

Regress...........

considering most of our team had careet years, Id say a few people will regress. Will we be the second highest scoring team in the west like last year? probably not.

id say Burrows has over acheived for the last 2 years, doubt sammuelson cracks 30gs again, and Henrick and Daniel out up sick numbers which prob wont be duplicated. So those are my 4, and add Eherhoff to that list, as he was a stud.

I like to see Kesler,Luongo, Raymond, Hansen Progress, and I expect to see Tanner Glass playing like the October of last year Tanner Glass, not the one that finished the year.

Johnny Canucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 06:24 PM
biturbo19

I think this could be a tough year for Burrows to be honest. Certainly don't expect him to score another 35 goals. Starting the year recovering from an injury, even if he doesn't miss much time, i think it will still take him a bit longer to catch up to peak form. In that time, i would expect Samuelsson to steal away the much vaunted wing slot alongside the Twins. And as much as Burrows is a great player in his own right, i think we've all seen how dramatically his production drops off when he's not playing with the Twins.

I also think that we might see a bit less production out of Ehrhoff with the changes to our d-corps and the fact that he'll likely have his ice-time scaled back somewhat.

I don't expect Henrik to win the scoring title again, and he may drop off a bit from his incredible totals from last season, but it will be more than balanced out if we get a full 82 games out of Daniel so who knows.

Other guys i'm not sure about, but would expect more of the same. Any little dropoffs that might happen will hopefully be mitigated by new guys coming in.

Ballard and Hamhuis could both see improved numbers with the Canucks, and a lot will ride on how Hodgson is able to perform.

If Hodgson can have an impact, i think Malhotra could repeat his success from last year, but if not...he may regress. If Hansen can secure more of a full-time spot on the 3rd line this year, he could have a real breakout campaign, especially if he finds some chemistry with Hodgson. I think roughly 15 goals and 30 pts isn't out of the question for Hodgson and Hansen, but that could be overly optimistic, and depends on if Hodgson sees any PP time, etc.

I also think that Schneider could have a real statement season and put up stellar numbers, which could push Luongo to be better as well.

So all in all, any steps backwards should hopefully be covered by new additions. But it's impossible to say what can happen over the course of a season, how long it will take for new players to gel, and what sorts of bizarre and unfortunate injuries may come along.

biturbo19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 06:52 PM
mrmyheadhurts
Registered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by biturbo19 View Post
I think this could be a tough year for Burrows to be honest. Certainly don't expect him to score another 35 goals. Starting the year recovering from an injury, even if he doesn't miss much time, i think it will still take him a bit longer to catch up to peak form. In that time, i would expect Samuelsson to steal away the much vaunted wing slot alongside the Twins. And as much as Burrows is a great player in his own right, i think we've all seen how dramatically his production drops off when he's not playing with the Twins.

I also think that we might see a bit less production out of Ehrhoff with the changes to our d-corps and the fact that he'll likely have his ice-time scaled back somewhat.

I don't expect Henrik to win the scoring title again, and he may drop off a bit from his incredible totals from last season, but it will be more than balanced out if we get a full 82 games out of Daniel so who knows.

Other guys i'm not sure about, but would expect more of the same. Any little dropoffs that might happen will hopefully be mitigated by new guys coming in.

Ballard and Hamhuis could both see improved numbers with the Canucks, and a lot will ride on how Hodgson is able to perform.

If Hodgson can have an impact, i think Malhotra could repeat his success from last year, but if not...he may regress. If Hansen can secure more of a full-time spot on the 3rd line this year, he could have a real breakout campaign, especially if he finds some chemistry with Hodgson. I think roughly 15 goals and 30 pts isn't out of the question for Hodgson and Hansen, but that could be overly optimistic, and depends on if Hodgson sees any PP time, etc.

I also think that Schneider could have a real statement season and put up stellar numbers, which could push Luongo to be better as well.

So all in all, any steps backwards should hopefully be covered by new additions. But it's impossible to say what can happen over the course of a season, how long it will take for new players to gel, and what sorts of bizarre and unfortunate injuries may come along.

Why are Ballard and Humhuis so reliant on Hodgson for good/bad years?

mrmyheadhurts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 07:10 PM
CCF23

Send a message via MSN to CCF23
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffCourtnall View Post
Regress...........

considering most of our team had careet years, Id say a few people will regress. Will we be the second highest scoring team in the west like last year? probably not.

id say Burrows has over acheived for the last 2 years, doubt sammuelson cracks 30gs again, and Henrick and Daniel out up sick numbers which prob wont be duplicated. So those are my 4, and add Eherhoff to that list, as he was a stud.

I like to see Kesler,Luongo, Raymond, Hansen Progress, and I expect to see Tanner Glass playing like the October of last year Tanner Glass, not the one that finished the year.
Let's play "count the number of players you spelled wrong".

CCF23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 07:14 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by defer View Post
It is hard to jump from 80 to 110 points and keep it up year after year. not saying he didnt play amazing last year but....the whole top 6 did and everyone benefited from the people around them playing great.

I can see daniel having a season like henrik did last year.
Things changed. They finally got some good players to play with and the team philosophy changed. I cringe at the thought of the Canucks reverting back to playing that style, though the offseason additions suggest it could happen. That'll be the straw for this camel's back.

Scurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 08:51 PM
crazyforhockey

This team if healthy will be top 2 in goals for and tops in ga.Dont know if we catch Wash and their goals for but the gap will be narrowed from 46g (last year) down to a handful of goals......we will have the biggest 5 on 5 ratio of any team.

Old
07-25-2010, 09:00 PM
Win One Before I Die
Former Booth Fan

Send a message via MSN to Win One Before I Die
No one mentioned... losing Wellwood and Bernier on the 2nd powerplay unit... will probably increase our offense.

Win One Before I Die is offline   Reply With Quote