HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

So...let's talk about Robert Esche...

Old
07-13-2010, 01:09 PM
OriginJM
watch out im smart

vCash: 500
So...let's talk about Robert Esche...

Look, I know it's Eklund... I know... I know.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=29325

Quote:
I am a big fan of Robert Esche and want to see him get back into the NHL. I still believe Esche has some game left, and I am not alone in this. Talking to scouts who have been monitoring him from afar, in Russia, Esche is playing at an NHL level. The Flyers attempted to bring him in last year when the goalies hit the fan, but could not due to NHL rules. Now, however, I am hearing Esche may get a serious look with the Flyers...
Thing is, I just heard this last year as well. And all I'm asking is, would anyone be comfortable with Robby coming back? Also, who would you guys pick between Turco and Esche? If this goes down I'm not sure how I'll feel about it. Anyway, enjoy more Eklund... always good for the soul.

OriginJM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 01:13 PM
IrishSniper87

Let's not talk about Esche.

I will destroy something beautiful if we sign him.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 01:16 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
Let's not talk about Esche.
Agreed.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 01:18 PM
sg12lw

i always liked him

i would take him back for about 750k tops

hes better than boosh in my mind, and i dont look to the 07 season (as many do) as any indicator for how good he is, bc we sucked hard

...and for what its worth hes proven he can take a team on a run(2004), and even in the 06 playoffs he stood on his head vs buffalo and kept us in a series we really had no business being in...i recall him having like 55 saves in that ot game where danny scored against us

hes not a # 1 , but neither is leighton, and if leighton faluters or gets hurt i wouldnt mind having a guy with something to prove (like leighton last year) as a backup...plus our d is good at clearing out the occasional big time rebound that you see with robert from time to time

esche is very athletic, which is not how id describe boosh or leighton, and i like an athletic goalie

hes not the ideal option, but i wouldnt mind taking a chance on a guy with something to prove

...at this point into the '10 offseason, im willing to try anything

sg12lw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 01:19 PM
MegaShark 666

**** Esche, no way.

MegaShark 666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 01:29 PM
mdm815

Quote:
Originally Posted by sg12lw View Post
i always liked him

i would take him back for about 750k tops

hes better than boosh in my mind, and i dont look to the 07 season (as many do) as any indicator for how good he is, bc we sucked hard

...and for what its worth hes proven he can take a team on a run(2004), and even in the 06 playoffs he stood on his head vs buffalo and kept us in a series we really had no business being in...i recall him having like 55 saves in that ot game where danny scored against us

hes not a # 1 , but neither is leighton, and if leighton faluters or gets hurt i wouldnt mind having a guy with something to prove (like leighton last year) as a backup...plus our d is good at clearing out the occasional big time rebound that you see with robert from time to time

esche is very athletic, which is not how id describe boosh or leighton, and i like an athletic goalie

hes not the ideal option, but i wouldnt mind taking a chance on a guy with something to prove

...at this point into the '10 offseason, im willing to try anything
I think this is a really good look at things. Esche also had some injury issues coming out of the lockout that kind of kept him from ever getting back on his game. I wouldn't mind having him at low salary to take a chance on him. But if Homer screws this up by offering too much I'd be upset.

mdm815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 01:32 PM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

vCash: 200
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
How many borderline backup goalies do we need?

DeadPhish5858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 01:46 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
i'd rather have a hot stick in the eye

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 01:46 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Seriously? I mean this is sad when we have to resort to "least worst" reasoning...GET A MORE FREAKIN PROVEN COMMODITY AS A GOALIE! Esche would be another "tryout" goalie......I mean get somebody in here that has played over 40 games consistently in their NHL career....not waiver wire goalies who choke in the most important series of their career and that of the team...or a goalie playing near the arctic circle to try and salvage their fledgeling career...

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 01:50 PM
DrHamburg

I live about 10 minutes away from Esche's old house in New York. He loves it in the KHL and makes way more money playing in the KHL than he would in the NHL. Unless the Flyers offer him like 3 million or so, its not worth it for him to come back.

DrHamburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 01:54 PM
turkinaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
Seriously? I mean this is sad when we have to resort to "least worst" reasoning...GET A MORE FREAKIN PROVEN COMMODITY AS A GOALIE! Esche would be another "tryout" goalie......I mean get somebody in here that has played over 40 games consistently in their NHL career....not waiver wire goalies who choke in the most important series of their career and that of the team...or a goalie playing near the arctic circle to try and salvage their fledgeling career...
This.

I don't dislike Esche, but he never became that true #1 goalie and we need that #1 goalie proven goalie even with a better defense core.

turkinaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 01:55 PM
PhilaFlyers

vCash: 300
Makes 0 sense.

PhilaFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 01:58 PM
rWoHockeyman88

Esche

I don't think Robert Esche is a bad goalie, and I feel like he is an upgrade over Leighton. I also feel like Boosh is an upgrade over Leighton. I like Leighton, but I don't think he played a good positional game in net. Leights played well because the team in front of him. Esche played well when the team in front of him was inconsistent and still did well. I would love to see Esche back in the orange and black. I don't understand the Esche choking comments, because Esche stood tall in most circumstance when the team didn't play well defensively. I am sure someone is going to bring up the Robert Esche blow up against the Sabres, but our defense was horrific at that time with the pylons. Is it possible to trade Leighton, even though we just signed him?

rWoHockeyman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 02:01 PM
Garbage Goal

It makes zero sense and no credible sources are reporting this rumour so I won't take it seriously.

Homer has made it clear that he's probably gonna go with Leighton/Boucher/Backlund next year. If that doesn't happen then there's no reason why Homer wouldn't go for Turco before Esche anyway.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 02:07 PM
Murphy7
Drop the puck

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPhish5858 View Post
How many borderline backup goalies do we need?
Using last season as a guide ... 6

If Esche saves Gagne from leaving, is he then worth it? (taking a lower cap hit/better term than Turco)
With the way goalie contracts are getting smaller in the NHL, I can't see Esche coming back, unless he sees problems on the horizon for his KHL team. Even a good season won't give him the kind of contract he could probably land in the K.
But if he comes back, not the worst thing, I guess. What can you do?

Murphy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 02:09 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHamburg View Post
I live about 10 minutes away from Esche's old house in New York. He loves it in the KHL and makes way more money playing in the KHL than he would in the NHL. Unless the Flyers offer him like 3 million or so, its not worth it for him to come back.
do svidaniya!

Old
07-13-2010, 02:09 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 10000
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Hell to the no.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 02:14 PM
Jester

I would be happy to have Esche as a backup.

We have two backups.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 02:14 PM
FlyersCup08

I honestly don't understand why everyone hates Esche. I for one never saw anything wrong with him. He took us within ONE game of the SCF, losing to the eventual champs. When we lost to the Sabres, well anyone watching that series and not seeing that they were CLEARLY the better team is kidding themselves. It wasn't Esche that lost us that series, they were nasty. You can't blame '07 on Esche, because Nitty didn't seem to do any better. That team flat out sucked.

Put Esche in behind this defense, I think he'll surprise you. Granted, if he's making tax-free $3M in the KHL, I don't see him signing here for $900K (which is what I think Homer would offer). I would like to see a $900K incentive loaded contract, though, with incentives for 40+ games, 30+ wins, 12+ playoff wins, etc.

FlyersCup08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 02:22 PM
Jester

Robert Esche was a rebound machine just like Leighton, and got by because prior to the lockout the defense could mug everyone in the slot... that is no longer the case. That being said, he's a serviceable NHL goalie, just not someone I'd want to be our starter.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 02:25 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

I don't want to remember anything from the season that should not be named.

Esche included

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 02:33 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Esche was a total rebound machine indeed.....he also had a bit of a chip on his shoulder. This is the same guy who was Laviolette's 3rd string goaltender at the Turin Olympics and felt he should be the starter and was vocal in the press about it. I think he was called out on it......deservedly so

Sure Laviolette helped botch that whole Olympic debacle when he overlooked Miller and picked Grahame over him along with DiPietro but in the end Esche was pretty much riding the pine and in the one game he played I remember him getting blitzed. Anyway, I'm sure Esche is somewhat reformed and he would be an ok backup at the right price but considering we already have 3 backups duking it out for the starting job...we can do without another question mark tryout goalie.

Old
07-13-2010, 02:45 PM
dookie88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy7 View Post
If Esche saves Gagne from leaving, is he then worth it?
Do you expect him to sign for -2.5mil or what?

And wasn't he resigned just recently by his KHL club?

dookie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 02:55 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Until he attacks his trainer after being forced to wear a cap on the bench after being pulled, I have zero interest in him.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 03:02 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Reese has his work cutout for him already

Throw Esche in the mix and Flyers will have to bring back Reggie "Lemon"lin and Bernie to teach all these backups how to be number 1's.

I already cringe when I see comments like this from the goalie coach on a goalie who is right now tasked with being the starter...

BTW...you know who else "knows it" ...Kane!

Quote:
Reese acknowledged there are aspects of Leighton’s game he hopes to zero in on in the coming year.

He declined, however, to be specific about what they are.

“There’s a few,” he said. “He knows it, I know it. We’re going to address those, and try to plug away, and make him better.”

http://www.csnphilly.com/07/12/10/Go...246&feedID=704