HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Frolov to Toronto

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-25-2010, 05:31 PM
  #1
HockeyGuruPitka
Registered User
 
HockeyGuruPitka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,111
vCash: 500
Frolov to Toronto

As a down to earth leafs fan, it is understandable that teams will not be willing to give up a proven top six forward for a 1 year rental of Kaberle. With that being said, time is running out for the leafs.

Frolov is a decent top six forward probably looking to earn around 4-5m a season by the sound of it. At this point what would the value of overpaying Frolov for maybe 1-2 seasons and getting ourselves a rental player for the time being. The leafs have the cap space to do a deal of this nature, and for all we know Frolov proves to be better then he showed in LA, raises possible trade value, and allows Toronto to gain decent prospects for kaberle during this offseason.

HockeyGuruPitka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 05:33 PM
  #2
Anonymous028
Registered User
 
Anonymous028's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 761
vCash: 500
You guys would feel like you got a overpaid version of Andropov back.

Anonymous028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 05:49 PM
  #3
Loso
Registered User
 
Loso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,028
vCash: 500
We all want to make the playoffs next year, but it would be way better for us going forward and actually competing to let a prospect or young player get the ice time that Frolov would take up, plus with pay raises coming up to Schenn, Bozak, Gunnarsson, we'd be ***** by the cap if we committed 4-5 million to Frolov, this is coming from someone who is actually a fan of Frolov, though he would be a nice temporary fit, it hinders us long term

Loso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 05:51 PM
  #4
Biggzy*
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 3,454
vCash: 500
Frolov for Kaberle.

Biggzy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 05:52 PM
  #5
Belak Attack
:walrus:
 
Belak Attack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Toronto, Canadia.
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,105
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Belak Attack
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous028 View Post
You guys would feel like you got a overpaid version of Andropov back.
I'd prefer an overpaid Antropov, to be very honest.

That being said, Frolov could definitely bring us some offense. Him and Grabo could make a good second line.

Kulemin - Bozak - Kessel
Versteeg - Grabovski - Frolov

Belak Attack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 05:56 PM
  #6
Jwm1986
Registered User
 
Jwm1986's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 1,894
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous028 View Post
You guys would feel like you got a overpaid version of Andropov back.
except Frolov is a much better scorer than Antropov....

Jwm1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 05:57 PM
  #7
wej20
Registered User
 
wej20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Swansea,UK
Country: Wales
Posts: 23,616
vCash: 500
I imagine Frolov would play LW and Versteeg RW.

wej20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 05:58 PM
  #8
mcphllp
Dion @ 6.5=Discount
 
mcphllp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 7,066
vCash: 500
i wouldnt mind if we could get him for 4 or under, and not too long of a term, not really sure what he'll sign for now that its been so long

mcphllp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 06:01 PM
  #9
xavi4life
Mr. Irreverent
 
xavi4life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 3,401
vCash: 500
Frolov is a SOLID hockey player who belongs on the 2nd line LW position. He's always been a polarizing player in LA because he doesn't break sticks in frustration or show intensity on and off the bench. He's very sound defensively and great on the PP. Unfortunately for Frolov he didn't get much PP time and he was thrown into the shutdown role on the third line with Michael Handzus. Despite that, he still had a solid year considering. Of course the haters will ignore the facts and say that he's awful because his point totals decreased on a contract year.

xavi4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 06:05 PM
  #10
QMJHLfollower
Heart and soul
 
QMJHLfollower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,758
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripe4theSnipe View Post
pay raises coming up to Schenn, Bozak, Gunnarsson
Bozak cap hit=3 725 000
He will not have a pay raise.

Schenn cap hit=2 975 000
He will not have a big raise, maybe a little.

Juste Gunnarsson that will have a pay raise.

QMJHLfollower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 06:34 PM
  #11
grabo84
Registered User
 
grabo84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Atlantic Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,607
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwm1986 View Post
except Frolov is a much better scorer than Antropov....
Maybe, and even that's dubious. Antropov is better at almost everything else though. I still wish we had of kept him.

grabo84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 07:01 PM
  #12
BringTheReign
Registered User
 
BringTheReign's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Orange County
Country: United States
Posts: 2,310
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by grabo84 View Post
Maybe, and even that's dubious. Antropov is better at almost everything else though. I still wish we had of kept him.
The only thing he's better at than Frolov is taking faceoffs. Frolov put up 50+ plus points playing in a shutdown role with Handzus and killing penalties, and he did a damn good job at that. If Murray had pulled his head out of his ass and seen that Frolov is an offensive player and not a defensive specialist, he would have had a much better year.

It makes me mad to see him let go so easily when the only reason he dropped in production was our own coach's boneheaded decision.

BringTheReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 07:45 PM
  #13
NewEraGM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 688
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belak Attack View Post
I'd prefer an overpaid Antropov, to be very honest.

That being said, Frolov could definitely bring us some offense. Him and Grabo could make a good second line.

Kulemin - Bozak - Kessel
Versteeg - Grabovski - Frolov
3 of those 6 players are not top 6 forwards.

Kulemin, Bozak (you will see why this season) and Grabovski (did not make habs third or fourth line, that should raise some eyebrows) don't belong

NewEraGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 07:51 PM
  #14
GiuseppeFaegirisma*
Rookie User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Italy
Country: Italy
Posts: 26
vCash: 500
theres already too many russians on the team..

GiuseppeFaegirisma* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 07:52 PM
  #15
KarmaPolice
Antics
 
KarmaPolice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: In Limbo
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,539
vCash: 8069
Send a message via MSN to KarmaPolice
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringTheReign View Post
The only thing he's better at than Frolov is taking faceoffs. Frolov put up 50+ plus points playing in a shutdown role with Handzus and killing penalties, and he did a damn good job at that. If Murray had pulled his head out of his ass and seen that Frolov is an offensive player and not a defensive specialist, he would have had a much better year.

It makes me mad to see him let go so easily when the only reason he dropped in production was our own coach's boneheaded decision.
Antropov is an underrated even strength scorer--and a better one than Frolov.

http://blogs.thescore.com/nhl/2010/0...ength-scorers/

Antro, averaged out over the past three season, is the 21st most prolific even strength scorer in the league. That's not bad, and that's better than Frolov. Probably a lot better.

KarmaPolice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 08:00 PM
  #16
dumesh
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 38
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewEraGM View Post
3 of those 6 players are not top 6 forwards.

Kulemin, Bozak (you will see why this season) and Grabovski (did not make habs third or fourth line, that should raise some eyebrows) don't belong

51-STEVE SULLIVAN
51-PATRIC HORNQVIST
49-MARTIN ERAT
46-JASON ARNOTT
45-J P DUMONT
38-LEGWAND

thats nashvilles top six for last season, at least in point production
and they made it to the playoffs... i bet other teams id look at randomly, not talking about a tampa (no defense though) pitts (defense isnt as good as leafs "names" imo), washington (obviously) , etc.

dumesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 08:04 PM
  #17
dumesh
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 38
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPolice View Post
Antropov is an underrated even strength scorer--and a better one than Frolov.

http://blogs.thescore.com/nhl/2010/0...ength-scorers/

Antro, averaged out over the past three season, is the 21st most prolific even strength scorer in the league. That's not bad, and that's better than Frolov. Probably a lot better.
frolov actually only had 5 pp goals out of 19 this past season and 8 pp assists out of his 32 so 38/51 pts were even strength on the third line as that guy said a few posts up

dumesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 08:11 PM
  #18
leafsfuture
Registered User
 
leafsfuture's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 5,031
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMLeafs4ever View Post
Bozak cap hit=3 725 000
He will not have a pay raise.

Schenn cap hit=2 975 000
He will not have a big raise, maybe a little.

Juste Gunnarsson that will have a pay raise.
Neither actually made that full amount. Thats the total they could have earned, if they fulfilled all their bonuses.

The bonus cushion covered all the bonuses, so it didnt count against the cap. Come next summer, that wont happen

leafsfuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 08:14 PM
  #19
LeafsandSharksfan
Founder of NGA
 
LeafsandSharksfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,019
vCash: 500
I wanted Frolov from the start, but If he's talking with the KHL I definately don't see Burke going through hoops to get him signed. But he's got size and can contribuite offensively, and he's still only 27. I'd take him over Grabo on the wing anyday.

LeafsandSharksfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 08:18 PM
  #20
GiuseppeFaegirisma*
Rookie User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Italy
Country: Italy
Posts: 26
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsandSharksfan View Post
I wanted Frolov from the start, but If he's talking with the KHL I definately don't see Burke going through hoops to get him signed. But he's got size and can contribuite offensively, and he's still only 27. I'd take him over Grabo on the wing anyday.
first of all burke never went after him from the start, he doesnt not want no soft panzi russians who only play when they want, theres a reason why he isnt signed anywhere yet, cause hes more useless than **** on a nun. Stick with yur sharks cause grabovski is not a winger..

GiuseppeFaegirisma* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 08:39 PM
  #21
LeafsandSharksfan
Founder of NGA
 
LeafsandSharksfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,019
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiuseppeFaegirisma View Post
first of all burke never went after him from the start, he doesnt not want no soft panzi russians who only play when they want, theres a reason why he isnt signed anywhere yet, cause hes more useless than **** on a nun. Stick with yur sharks cause grabovski is not a winger..
Couple things,

First off, I never said Burke went after him, I said I wanted him, and that I don't see Burke trying to sign him. I'm not gonna argue with you about how good Frolov is, because this thread is about his value to the Leafs, and it's fairly undisputed that he's a top-six winger who can put up 50-60 point and has size. There is no basis to suggest he isn't a team player.

And the reason I say Grabo goes on the wing is I think it would be wise to have Kadri at centre on the second line, and Grabo looks like he'd be a better winger anyways.

LeafsandSharksfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 08:46 PM
  #22
GE0
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,211
vCash: 500
It both confuses and amazes me how some fans can be so stubborn in their ignorance.

But instead of repeating Frolov isn't coming to the Leafs for the nth time, I think this recent blurb from the Hockey News sums it up perfectly:

http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/34591-.html

Quote:
Hey Adam, is it just me or is Alexander Frolov the perfect fit for the Toronto Maple Leafs? He's big, young, plays left wing and can score. This is exactly what Brian Burke is looking for.

I know that everything is being held up by the Ilya Kovalchuk saga, but could you tell me if Burke has shown any interest in Frolov?
Pat B., Gadshill, Ont.


Hey Pat,

No, Iím pretty sure itís you. Frolov can indeed score, but the questions about his competitiveness remain. Every time Iíve asked someone close to the Leafs about Frolov, Iíve been laughed at for the question.

Now, that doesnít mean itís completely out of the realm of possibility he winds up in Toronto. But if that happened, it would signify Torontoís desperation for help on the wings and not Frolovís fit with Burkeís blueprint.
But I fully expect certain Leafs fans to keep mentioning Frolov as an attractive option for the team. Some people just don't know anything and/or just don't get it. You shrug your shoulders and move on.

GE0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 09:16 PM
  #23
seanlinden
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 20,193
vCash: 500
The Leafs do need size in their top 6... but you also can't ignore the skill aspect that Frolov brings and is problably a player that could benefit from a change of scenery. The problem is of course -- the cap hit.

With Finger in the minors, using estimates for the bonuses which will be awarded to young players, estimates for what it'll cost to get a guy like Hanson back, and leaving some cap space for short-term injuries, the Leafs can reallly spend a maximum of $4m on their remaining LW position, and ideally around $3.5-$3.75.

Frolov seems unlikely to sign for that, and at that point you have to start looking at moving palyers off the roster which may not be worht it.

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 09:33 PM
  #24
MJ65
Registered User
 
MJ65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,768
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuruPitka View Post
As a down to earth leafs fan, it is understandable that teams will not be willing to give up a proven top six forward for a 1 year rental of Kaberle. With that being said, time is running out for the leafs.

Frolov is a decent top six forward probably looking to earn around 4-5m a season by the sound of it. At this point what would the value of overpaying Frolov for maybe 1-2 seasons and getting ourselves a rental player for the time being. The leafs have the cap space to do a deal of this nature, and for all we know Frolov proves to be better then he showed in LA, raises possible trade value, and allows Toronto to gain decent prospects for kaberle during this offseason.
I am still optimistic about Kaberle being traded - as far as Forolov is concerned we do not want him for 5M. Thanks

MJ65 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 09:37 PM
  #25
arctic79
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 115
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewEraGM View Post
3 of those 6 players are not top 6 forwards.

Kulemin, Bozak (you will see why this season) and Grabovski (did not make habs third or fourth line, that should raise some eyebrows) don't belong
ummm....let's see he was mostly playing in the minors for the Habs.

Are you such a genius that you can predict Bozak's future? If so I think Subban is nothing more then a 3rd pairing d-man.

arctic79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:10 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.