HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Poll: Blues #7 Prospect

View Poll Results: Who is the Blues' 7th best prospect?
David Backes 4 16.67%
Konstantin Barulin 10 41.67%
Greg Black 0 0%
Alexandre Bolduc 1 4.17%
Zach FitzGerald 0 0%
Colin Hemingway 3 12.50%
Robin Jonsson 0 0%
Ryan MacMurchy 0 0%
John Pohl 4 16.67%
Curtis Sanford 2 8.33%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
05-26-2004, 11:57 AM
degroat*

vCash: 500
Poll: Blues #7 Prospect

1. Peter Sejna
2. Konstantin Zakharov
3. Jay McClement
4. Shawn Belle
5. Alexei Shkotov
6. Trevor Byrne

WARNING: The poll will be ending Friday morning, not when it says it will.

Old
05-26-2004, 11:59 AM
degroat*

My vote goes to Barulin.

Old
05-26-2004, 01:42 PM

I'll be voting for Pohl until he makes the list--he should have been in the 4-6 range...

Old
05-26-2004, 02:37 PM
guitaraholic*

210 I'll defer to your superior knowledge of and exposure to Blues prospects at the AHL level but if John Pohl is our 4th best overall prospect then the Blues prospect pool is apparently just as bad as the folks at Hockeysfuture think it is.
Pohl, IMO, simply is not NHL material. If he's our 4th best, then everyone after him therefore wouldn't be NHL material, either. Pohl will never amount to anything at the NHL level and therefore, IMO, shouldn't even be listed as a prospect....

just my opinions.

Old
05-26-2004, 02:48 PM
degroat*

What makes you so sure that he'll never amount to anything in the NHL? I'm not high on Pohl either, but I'm not going to pretend to know more about him than a person that seems him multiple times a year and thinks he's a solid prospect.

Old
05-26-2004, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaraholic
210 I'll defer to your superior knowledge of and exposure to Blues prospects at the AHL level but if John Pohl is our 4th best overall prospect then the Blues prospect pool is apparently just as bad as the folks at Hockeysfuture think it is.
Pohl, IMO, simply is not NHL material. If he's our 4th best, then everyone after him therefore wouldn't be NHL material, either. Pohl will never amount to anything at the NHL level and therefore, IMO, shouldn't even be listed as a prospect....

just my opinions.
What information did you use to arrive at that opinion?

Old
05-26-2004, 03:23 PM
guitaraholic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stich
What makes you so sure that he'll never amount to anything in the NHL? I'm not high on Pohl either, but I'm not going to pretend to know more about him than a person that seems him multiple times a year and thinks he's a solid prospect.

To begin with if you had bothered to read my post you'll see I open with the statement "I'll DEFER to your (210's, not yours, as your 'knowledge' isn't superior to anyone's) superior knowledge..." which clearly indicates that I am NOT putting my opinions above that of someone who has seen the player in question more than I have.
That I even have to point this out to you is pretty indicative... of what I won't bother saying. However I don't feel it's out of line at this point to assert that you obviously didn't understand a word of my post. Again, I'm really not interested in having any sort of 'discussion' with you, tough boy.

Re: 210's legitimate question about how I've formed my opinions of Mr. Pohl:
1. I've seen numerous taped Ice Cats games from last year. Okay, only 14 of the 58 games he played in, but still, probably 14 more than certain other Blues "fans" who post on this board.
2. I've seen Mr. Pohl play live at the NHL level. Granted it wasn't an extended stay but I've seen him at the NHL level nonetheless. With all due respect, have you ever seen him play live at the NHL level? He was brutal. No, one game doesn't make a career (unless of course it's the only game the kid plays at the NHL level) but based on that one game... he's not nearly ready. Which doesn't mean he never will be, I recognize that.
3. I have some very close friends who are close followers of the AHL as well as a couple who attended Univ of Minnesotta along with Pohl. I get their (trusted, respected, by me, anyway) feedback. They all say the same thing about Pohl: Not NHL material, in any signifigant way.

That's how I arrived at my conclusions about John Pohl. I never said any of my opinions were infallible nor do I believe my opinions to be foolproof or "better" than anyone else's.

Thanks for your feedback and opinions.

By the way, I hope Pohl proves me completely wrong and continues to succeed at whatever level he plays at, including the NHL.

Old
05-26-2004, 03:38 PM
degroat*

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaraholic
To begin with if you had bothered to read my post you'll see I open with the statement "I'll DEFER to your superior knowledge..." which clearly indicates that I am NOT putting my opinions above that of someone who has seen the player in question more than I have.
Maybe you forgot, but after you said that you followed up with the following statement: "Pohl will never amount to anything at the NHL level".

So, clearly you didn't defer to anyone.

Quote:
your 'knowledge' isn't superior to anyone's
What is that, the 4th time you've insulted me today?

Quote:
Re: 210's legitimate question
How is "What makes you so sure that he'll never amount to anything in the NHL?" not a legitimate question?

Old
05-26-2004, 03:39 PM

1) 14 games on tape from this season? I don't think the IceCats have played that much on TV in 10 years, so that means you have to be watching the league game tapes. Where you getting them?

2) You've seen Pohl play 1 NHL game for a total of 8:18 and you list that as reason why he'll never be an NHL player?

3) Meaning no first hand knowledge.

You'll forgive me if I don't put any worth on your opinion of Johnny Pohl.

Old
05-26-2004, 05:51 PM
Epoch

Barulin.

Old
05-26-2004, 06:03 PM
slimer

I'll admit that I haven't seen Pohl play much, just some preseason games. Also, I value 210's opinion greatly. However, from what I have seen during the preseason, Pohl hasn't impressed me much. I hope I'm wrong about him, but he just didn't seem to jump out at me. No great burst of speed, didn't seem that creative with the puck, ok defensively, but nothing special. That doesn't mean he won't make it, but I'm just having a hard time getting excited about him.

Another guy that gets alot of talk that I just don't understand is Sanford. I can't see him ever being more than a mediocre nhl backup. That is all based on what I saw last year. 210, did he improve much this year or do you think I'm just way off base on him?

Old
05-26-2004, 06:53 PM

Next year is "make or break" for Sanford I think...he does have the skills to play in the NHL, but with a couple good goaltending prospects behind him he doesn't have the luxury of time to spend proving it.

Old
05-26-2004, 08:06 PM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by 210
I'll be voting for Pohl until he makes the list--he should have been in the 4-6 range...
Do you think Pohl has more upside than Belle, Shkotov and Byrne?

Pohl is probably closer to NHL-ready than any of those three, I'll admit -- and NHL-readiness is a legitimate criterion.

Is this one of those cases where upside should be weighed more heavily than proximity to the NHL, or vice-versa?

PrussianBlue

Old
05-26-2004, 08:14 PM

One of the things I look at when rating a prospect is how close he is to making the show...in Pohl's case I'd rate him as high as 4-6 because I think he could make the Blues next season with a strong camp.

I see him and McClement as being the 2 guys that are right at the cusp of making it...although I think the Blues might keep McClement in Worcester until January even if a slot opens.

Another guy with a shot that hasn't been mentioned is Blake Evans. He can play both C and LW and is a great penalty killer...I'm not certain the Blues have a spot for him and if they don't he could be the guy everyone bangs their heads about in the future when he gets away.

Old
05-26-2004, 09:23 PM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by 210
One of the things I look at when rating a prospect is how close he is to making the show...in Pohl's case I'd rate him as high as 4-6 because I think he could make the Blues next season with a strong camp.
I would have to agree with that. If the Blues can move Weight for picks/prospects, and go with a top line of Tkachuk-Cajanek-Demitra next year, they will need a strong camp -- and the ability to do spot duty as the #2 center -- from Pohl. Especially if they can't get a center back from dealing Weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 210
I see him and McClement as being the 2 guys that are right at the cusp of making it...although I think the Blues might keep McClement in Worcester until January even if a slot opens.
That might be best for him. They didn't rush Jackman or Backman to the NHL, and they both seem to have turned out fine. I'd expect them to handle McClement the same way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 210
Another guy with a shot that hasn't been mentioned is Blake Evans. He can play both C and LW and is a great penalty killer...I'm not certain the Blues have a spot for him and if they don't he could be the guy everyone bangs their heads about in the future when he gets away.
Haven't seen Evans live yet, but keep in mind that he's already a "retread," so to speak, as he was originally drafted by Washington back in 1998, never signed with them and either re-entred the draft and wasn't chosen, or else signed with the Blues as a FA rather than re-enter.

That said, I've always been intrigued by his size (listed at 6-01, 210), the reports I've heard about his penalty-killing and faceoff skills, and his well-documented history of being able to pop a few goals every now and then.

PrussianBlue

Old
05-26-2004, 09:27 PM
degroat*

FYI... Evans didn't reenter the draft and signed with the Blues as a free agent.

Old
05-27-2004, 07:37 PM
purple_heart

I am not sure why he is rarely mentioned but Mike Glumac was certainly the most impresssive of the new forwards on the Cats this past year. I understand that the Blues just exercised the option on him and he will be with Worcester in the fall.

Although I like McClemment and Pohl, Glumac might be closer to the Blues than either of the aforementioned two guys. He showed he is a big, physical player who can SCORE. Pohl has pretty good potential as an offensive player, but not as much as Glumac and McClemment is purely a defensive player who I DO believe might well be a 3rd line center in a year or two.

Evans had an excellent year but his skating makes me very suspect of his NHL potential. However, he is an excellent face-off guy and very good PK guy.

Old
05-27-2004, 10:03 PM
degroat*

The Blues do not own Glumac's rights.

Old
05-27-2004, 10:44 PM
Senor Rational

Send a message via AIM to Senor Rational
Quote:
Originally Posted by 210
Ive heard nothing but the best of Blake Evans. A guy built in the Conroy mold?

Also, from the little I have seen Pohl, the first thing that makes you think he is not NHL material is his skating...its just...horrible. He's not that fleet of foot and he isnt that big so that will be held against him. He also doesnt have the best shot in the world. If he improved his skating dramatically, he could be a legit second liner. Then again Ive only seen one videotape of him, the one game he was called up for, and a bit of preseason from him. Hows his skating been lately?

Old
05-28-2004, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stich
The Blues do not own Glumac's rights.
He is on their protected list and can't be signed by an NHL club until the AHL playoffs are over.

Old
05-28-2004, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senor Rational
Ive heard nothing but the best of Blake Evans. A guy built in the Conroy mold?

Also, from the little I have seen Pohl, the first thing that makes you think he is not NHL material is his skating...its just...horrible. He's not that fleet of foot and he isnt that big so that will be held against him. He also doesnt have the best shot in the world. If he improved his skating dramatically, he could be a legit second liner. Then again Ive only seen one videotape of him, the one game he was called up for, and a bit of preseason from him. Hows his skating been lately?
Pohl's skating in no worse than "average".

He's certainly as good as the typical NHL 3rd line forward.

Old
05-28-2004, 07:03 AM
purple_heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by 210
He is on their protected list and can't be signed by an NHL club until the AHL playoffs are over.
I was told the Blues just recently excercised their option on Glumac and that he would be in Worcester in the fall. He supposedly been invited to the Blues camp, so how do the Blues not have his rights?

I do not claim to know all the rules, so if someone can explain how this can all happen and the Blues still NOT own his rights I would appreciate it. ...Can any other NHL team sign him as if he was a free agent? Doesn't make sense to me.

Thanks...

Old
05-28-2004, 07:15 AM
Ville Isopää

Send a message via ICQ to Ville Isopää
Where's Nissinen? He had an off year, but by his performance last year, he'd have to be the no.2 goalie prospect after Barulin.

Old
05-28-2004, 02:52 PM
kimzey59

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple_heart
I was told the Blues just recently excercised their option on Glumac and that he would be in Worcester in the fall. He supposedly been invited to the Blues camp, so how do the Blues not have his rights?

I do not claim to know all the rules, so if someone can explain how this can all happen and the Blues still NOT own his rights I would appreciate it. ...Can any other NHL team sign him as if he was a free agent? Doesn't make sense to me.

Thanks...
Glumac is owned by the Ice Cats. BUT, The Blues franchise owns Worcester. The Blues Org. is like the owner of a (large) company, they can tell their subordinates what to do but aren't really the ones giving the orders. What probably happened was Worcester picked up the option in the contract because they were told to by the Blues. The Blues then sent Glumac an intive to their camp next year and have a NHL contract ready if he is impressive. Since he has the AHL contract in place no other teams can sign him BUT he can't play in the NHL(even for the Blues(that's why we didn't give him a call-up this past season)). If we decide to give him an NHL contract the Ice Cat's(under orders by the Blues) would by out the AHL contract and the Blues would be free to sign him to the NHL club. It's all a bunch of legal nonsense to play the system.

Old
05-28-2004, 03:03 PM

The Blues owning the IceCats have nothing to do with this at all.

Each NHL team has a "protected list", and on that list goes players that are playing within its organization that they don't have contracts with. Glumac was on the Blues list this season and could not sign with another NHL organization until after the AHL season is over.

He may have had a contract with an option year (it would surprise me if he didn't have one, but anything is possible) and if so the IceCats would be the team to have that option. Seeing as the two teams have the same GM no communication is needed between the Blues and Cats Pleau simply picks up the option for the IceCats.

AHL teams that are owned by NHL teams still must follow the same rules determining player rights as teams that have just affiliations.

And as an FYI, all players under contract to Worcester get invitations to camp with the Blues. I'm not certain but I'd bet a lot of Rivermen players were at Blues camp as well this season.

Closed Thread