HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers currently talking with Frolov's agent(Rumor: Allegedy ready to sign with NYR)

Closed Thread

Old
07-25-2010, 11:47 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
Yeah, and they don't exactly have stellar 2-way forwards:

Carter
Briere
Hartnell
Zherdev

All have lapses.
And how about the rest of the players including their really good back end?

Old
07-25-2010, 11:53 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
Dubinsky may have made strides, but he really needs to put it all together and become more consistant at everything. I'm not a fan of the gliding. If he moves his feet more he'd be a much better hockey player.
Couldn't have said it better myself. He should watch tape of Cally. If he played every shift the way Cally does, he'd definitely score 60-70 points. He's very smart with the puck, but without it, he still needs a lot of work.

Old
07-26-2010, 12:12 AM
t3hg00se

Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
Quote:
Here's a glimpse. The guy loves that backhand.

First video is early on in his career.
He absolutely broke Marty.

Old
07-26-2010, 12:30 AM
dynamoovechkin

He is, for better or worse, what this team needs- top end skill and finishing ability. He is a second line forward for sure. Love to have Frolov.

And I am preparing myself not to be shocked when Slats signs him to a longer and richer contract than I think he deserves...

Old
07-26-2010, 12:56 AM
GregNYR19
agitator

Send a message via AIM to GregNYR19
if the numbers are right, id love to have him

Old
07-26-2010, 01:02 AM
Death By BB Gun
#therightway

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragshockey88 View Post
if the numbers are right, id love to have him
It's Slats. When have the numbers ever been right? Biron? Vinny?

Old
07-26-2010, 03:54 AM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

maybe for the right price but NO WAY, not until Marc Staal has at least resigned.

Old
07-26-2010, 04:01 AM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Here's a glimpse. The guy loves that backhand.

First video is early on in his career.
I love the music from this first video. A different take on the highlight reel soundtrack.

Old
07-26-2010, 04:06 AM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOXHOUND View Post
listen, im fine with bringing in Frolov, but he is a player who needs to prove he can be consistent. I'm not risking years on him because I'm gun shy with Sather and free agent signings. We are in the midsts of a major culture change in the locker room, and we need players who are going to give 100%, 100% of the time if we are going to sign them long term.
Exactly it's not just a matter of "He can provide us with secondary scoring" It's also a matter of a bad label, declining production, off years, too high an asking price for too many years, needing to re-sign Staal, needing to re-sign Cally, Dubs and Artem next year.

At 4 for 4 years I'm sorry it's just too much based on what he's done recently. He's been LA for many years now and if he was worth that he woulda been resigned long ago.

Old
07-26-2010, 04:32 AM
AJRanger

If LA are interested in bringing him back then I could see him going back there for familiarity as much as anything. I don't know what his family situation is but he's been there for a few years and might not want to change that if he can help it.

That said, I'd be open to him coming here provided it's a reasonable deal.

Old
07-26-2010, 04:50 AM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Seems to score a lot of his goals around the net.

Old
07-26-2010, 05:33 AM
Black Tank

No more than a 2 year deal, take it or leave it. This is a player whose points have gone down 4 years in a row. That's right, every year since 2006, he has produced less.

Old
07-26-2010, 05:46 AM
Blazephr

According to Genadi Boguslavski, a Russian hockey writer based in Montreal, the Rangers have talked to the agent for Alexander Frolov.

This is the same person who caused a stir when he said the Rangers and Nik Zherdev were talking a month or so back, and that was quickly shot down.

It should be this week for Frolov, and with the way the Rangers have talked, maybe he is in their plans. We shall see

http://www.snyrangersblog.com/

Old
07-26-2010, 06:27 AM
King of cool
The winning hat

Quote:
SKA's GM: Frolov will most likely be playing for the New York Rangers #NYR
http://twitter.com/RusHockeyFans

Old
07-26-2010, 06:28 AM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus View Post
Sather has said that he is "exploring other options".

However, this wouldn't make sense unless he signed Staal first.

So, unless we're going to hear a plethora of news this week, I doubt that this is happening to the effect that Twitter has made it out to be.

Old
07-26-2010, 06:32 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

How are the Rangers paying Frolov? In rubles? They inquired about his services on July 1 but found the asking price too rich for their blood and so did the other 29 teams. The Rangers have $8.6 million in cap space available which includes the 10% summer cap. $65.34 million. Staal is not signed yet. He will cost between $4.25-$4.75 million in a long term contract. The Rangers need to maintain as much space as possible to ward off any potential offer sheet.

Brashear is still on the cap. Sather said in early June that Brashear was done with the Rangers. Seven weeks later and Brashear is still here.

If they give Staal the $4.5 million and pay Frolov whatever he wants,demoting Redden to the AHL at the end of training camp won't be enough. It's not an easy process to create cap space. Sather would have created that space already if it was possible. Too many moves are required to re-sign Staal,sign Frolov,add MZA and McD and have enough money to operate the team during the season. The Rangers aren't going to play with the same 20 players the entire season.

Besides after the Zherdev disaster,do the Rangers want another enigmatic Russian winger?

Sather was lucky to dump Kotalik. If he brings in Frolov and Torts has issues with him,moving Frolov won't be easy. Signing the player as a free agent and then trading him before his first season with the Rangers is over has gotten old.

Last edited by RangerBoy: 07-26-2010 at 06:37 AM.
Old
07-26-2010, 06:33 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Frolov would be interesting...for the right deal, he'd upgrade the 2nd line. If the Rangers were to sign Frolov, someone explain to me WHY both Prospal and Christensen had to be re-signed? And why so soon? To me, this is just an example of how haphazardly the Rangers have gone about the off-season. If Frolov was a target, why sign both Prospal and Christensen? Even if he wasn't, there was just no urgency to bring back both right away.

Old
07-26-2010, 06:36 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Sather is still on the fishing trip. It began last Tuesday. Today is the last day. Somewhere in British Columbia. Cell phone range tomorrow.

Old
07-26-2010, 06:40 AM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
How are the Rangers paying Frolov? In rubles? They inquired about his services on July 1 but found the asking price too rich for their blood and so did the other 29 teams. The Rangers have $8.6 million in cap space available which includes the 10% summer cap. $65.34 million. Staal is not signed yet. He will cost between $4.25-$4.75 million in a long term contract. The Rangers need to maintain as much space as possible to ward off any potential offer sheet.

Brashear is still on the cap. Sather said in early June that Brashear was done with the Rangers. Seven weeks later and Brashear is still here.

If they give Staal the $4.5 million and pay Frolov whatever he wants,demoting Redden to the AHL at the end of training camp won't be enough. It's not an easy process to create cap space. Sather would have created that space already if it was possible. Too many moves are required to re-sign Staal,sign Frolov,add MZA and McD and have enough money to operate the team during the season. The Rangers aren't going to play with the same 20 players the entire season.

Besides after the Zherdev disaster,do the Rangers want another enigmatic Russian winger?

Sather was lucky to dump Kotalik. If he brings in Frolov and Torts has issues with him,moving Frolov won't be easy. Signing the player as a free agent and then trading him before his first season with the Rangers is over has gotten old.
I think RB has a hit the right notes here.

Unless you can find a way to get Frolov for 1-year at a reduced price, sort of a "tryout" - $3-3.5M... I would steer clear of his services.

Old
07-26-2010, 06:43 AM
beastly115

No to Frolov.

Guy would be in Torts dog house by December.

And with what money are we signing him? We barely have enough cap space to get Staal signed. Only way Frolov comes in is if one of the big 3 gets traded (or demoted in Redden's case) which I really don't see happening.

Old
07-26-2010, 07:11 AM
Garfinkel1

Quote:

Maybe gilroy and MCD will be in Hartford? Eminger is our #6? That could save some $$?

Old
07-26-2010, 07:29 AM
msv957

FroLOAF may have some flaws but he is a legit top 6 NHL forward who has scored over 30 goals in the NHL a few times already. He has very good skill....

Good size.. and young at 28 years old....

A 4 year deal would be ok... Hopefully not for 5 million per season which would
be an overpayment

Since it is not my money... I am all for this signing if it happens.. Make it happen Slats!

Old
07-26-2010, 08:04 AM
Evgeny Oliker

A few notes about Frolov:

1. Last season - I think that last season LA wanted him to be something he is not, a 3rd line checker! He can fill that role if necessary, but you can't expect him to get excited about all of a sudden having to play fewer minutes and being forced to check more than score. It is like asking Kopitar to all of a sudden play on the 3rd line. Frolov is a 2nd line scorer and that should be his role. If you ask him to do something he is not, then its the same as Torts asking Christensen to be a #1 Center when clearly he is not. So this is why Frolov only had 51 points, its hard to get more points than that when you are playing on the 3rd line!

2. Lazy - This is probably the biggest myth about Frolov, that he is lazy. Just because he did not get along with the coach in LA does not make him lazy. If you watch those videos of him scoring, about 70% of his goals are from around the net. He drives hard to the net, he battles for rebounds, half the time he has 1 or 2 guys all over him and he just keeps battling! How is that a lazy player? How many guys do the Rangers have that play like that? Not many!

3. Frolov fitting in with NYR - I think that he could be a good fit, for the short term. We have a number of good young Russian players in Anisimov and Grachev. These players could definitely learn a few things from Frolov, who I think plays a similar style to Anisimov actually. I would not sign him long-term because then he would permanently take the spot of a young player. But, if it is a 1 or 2 year deal, he could help the young players and the team for sure!

4. Lines - Here are some possible lines if he is signed:
Prospal - Dubinsky - Gaborik
MZA - Anisimov - Frolov
Avery - Drury - Callahan
Boogaard - Boyle - Prust

I'm not a huge fan of Christensen to be honest. I think that he could be good trade bait or you use his as your 13th forward since he can play Center or Wing...good in case of injuries. I might even try him as a 4th line Center instead of Boyle.

Old
07-26-2010, 08:10 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Well all we know is that the Rangers are interested in Frolov, not that they're going to sign him 2 minutes from now without having Staal signed.

Maybe they also have a trade lined up to free up cap space. Maybe Staal is very close to signing and Frolov would follow after that. Etc etc.

If the Rangers are interested in Frolov and intend to sign him, then they also have a plan to make sure they have enough cap space to do so. They're not completely retarded.

Quote:
What is he going to do? Put a hit out on him? Sather can't get rid of that salary unless he trades Brashear and no one wants him. Insinuating that Brashear still being here is a failing is off base...if you want to complain all you need to do is point out that signing him in the first place was a bad move

Quote:
Sather would have created that space already if it was possible. Too many moves are required to re-sign Staal,sign Frolov,add MZA and McD and have enough money to operate the team during the season. The Rangers aren't going to play with the same 20 players the entire season.
Why? Honestly it's still "early" in the offseason. Or maybe more accurately, we're in the middle of the offseason. Sather doesn't have to rush as fast as possible to clear everything away and sign everyone and have the team ready to go for next year by the beginning of August. There's no reason that the Rangers couldn't have several different ideas and ways of creating cap space that haven't been used yet.

We don't know for sure what the Rangers are up to and what their plans are...asserting that they're pretty much done is silly, especially when Sather specifically said they're not.

Quote:

I can agree somewhere here, though. But I do think Frolov is a better player than Zherdev and would work out better, but there is a chance he wouldn't fit in well with Tortorella.

Old
07-26-2010, 08:18 AM
pwoz

Frolov is more consistent than Zherdev, but we need more scoring.. all depends on the contract demands... under $4m and that's a hell yes.

Closed Thread