HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Will NHL Center Ice show me each NYR game 2010-2011?

Old
07-25-2010, 10:25 PM
Whoot Whoot
Biased-NYR-Homer

vCash: 500
Will NHL Center Ice show me each NYR game 2010-2011?

Hey Guys.

Going to be watching this season from Cali. I want to get a way to watch each NYR game away from my computer - so any reviews for Center Ice? I don't mind if I have to watch the other broadcast team as I long as I don't miss the game. Anyone have any reports on what I can expect?

I notice they say 40 games per week rather then, catch each of your favorite teams games.

Many thanks - LGR!

Whoot Whoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 10:30 PM
FOXHOUND*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoot Whoot View Post
Hey Guys.

Going to be watching this season from Cali. I want to get a way to watch each NYR game away from my computer - so any reviews for Center Ice? I don't mind if I have to watch the other broadcast team as I long as I don't miss the game. Anyone have any reports on what I can expect?

I notice they say 40 games per week rather then, catch each of your favorite teams games.

Many thanks - LGR!
Center ice is great man i wouldnt live without it
however, if there are a lot of games going on at once you may only be able to watch it on the mosaic channel, which is a channel with the center ice package that shows all the games in little picture in picture boxes. It doesn't happen often though, maybe 2 times at most.

FOXHOUND* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 10:58 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

For the most part (99% of the time) you will get a feed of every game - I can't remember ever having to watch on the Mosaic Channel but this was my first year with it.

Also, any time they are playing in Cali it will be blacked out (but you can watch the local feed).

The only bad thing I will say is that Comcast doesn't offer HD, and it is tough to go from HD to SD. But it's better than nothing...and if you have Dish this doesn't even apply.

07-25-2010, 11:01 PM
gravey9

If you have Center Ice with DirecTV - then you may not get Versus games. Last year, we got none!!! None! It sucked. If they had made the playoffs it would have been an absolute nightmare as many of the games were only on versus.

gravey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 11:08 PM
FOXHOUND*

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravey9 View Post
If you have Center Ice with DirecTV - then you may not get Versus games. Last year, we got none!!! None! It sucked. If they had made the playoffs it would have been an absolute nightmare as many of the games were only on versus.
where have you been? thats been settled already Versus is back on directv

FOXHOUND* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 11:35 PM
chip chipperson*

if they play one of the local teams it might be blacked out. and on the rare occasion that they do like a free trial week, the feed is horrible. it lags so much that its unwatchable and you feel like beating your wife. other than that its awesome.

chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 11:44 PM
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 2860
I'm pretty sure you will never be able to watch Ranger games from the MSG feed, you will have to watch it on the other team's feed. Also if it is a national game such as a game on Versus or NBC, it will be blacked out.

Kane One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 01:06 AM
CheeseDogs

vCash: 987
i live in bc canada and i have never missed a rangers game yet with center ice

CheeseDogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 01:11 AM
nyrleetch

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheeseDogs View Post
i live in bc canada and i have never missed a rangers game yet with center ice

Haha you sound like one of those guys in the commercial.

nyrleetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 05:32 AM
mti79

vCash: 50
I was in Buffalo last year where the Rangers on MSG are blacked out so I purchased Center Ice. With it, I was able to watch all but 1 game and that's because that game vs Montreal was on the NHL Network... so I just subscribed to the NHL Network (the digital sports tier that it was on) for the weekend and viola.... Rangers game. This year I'll be doing the same thing, but I'm in Connecticut and not Buffalo.

mti79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 09:27 AM
zestystrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
I'm pretty sure you will never be able to watch Ranger games from the MSG feed, you will have to watch it on the other team's feed. Also if it is a national game such as a game on Versus or NBC, it will be blacked out.
DTV/Center Ice user here.

I upgrade to get the regional sports channels so I can, 99% of the time, watch the MSG feed.

I'm pretty sure the MSG feed is up there on CI most of the time.

In the past the issue was that MSG would not release the HD feed to CI. I believe there was a lawsuit (someone else will have more details) and for a good portion of the season it was resolved and CI had HD MSG feeds.

zestystrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 09:30 AM
pwoz

I just want Verizon to give me MSG HD!

pwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 09:35 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by zestystrat View Post
In the past the issue was that MSG would not release the HD feed to CI. I believe there was a lawsuit (someone else will have more details) and for a good portion of the season it was resolved and CI had HD MSG feeds.
Yeah I checked into this a little while ago.

Up until late last year, Cablevision wouldn't give the NHL access to their HD MSG feed. All of the MSG games (not just the Rangers but all the other teams like the Sabres who are on MSG) were broadcast in standard def on Center Ice (and on Gamecenter).

That got resolved late last year, though, so Center Ice should have access to the MSG HD feeds, and you will have the option to choose to watch the MSG feed or the opposing teams feed (so you should always be able to watch MSG if you want).

Again, the exceptions are when the Rangers are playing a local team. If you're in SoCal (I'm assuming) then when the Rangers play the Kings or Ducks, you'll have to watch your local Kings or Ducks broadcast. The feed on Center Ice will be blacked out.

And if the game is a nationally broadcast game on Versus, then the Center Ice feed will also be blacked out and you have to watch it on Versus.

Also, very occasionally, some of the games are only on the NHL Network only. Or at least they did that a couple of times in the past couple of years. Not sure if they still do that.

Overall, you'll be able to watch 95% of the games on Center Ice with the MSG HD feed.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 09:53 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
I'm pretty sure you will never be able to watch Ranger games from the MSG feed, you will have to watch it on the other team's feed
That's not true. Many games last year allowed you to watch either feed. I can probably count on one hand the number times the MSG wasn't available.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 09:54 AM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoot Whoot View Post
Hey Guys.

Many thanks - LGR!
Ive never not seen a game on center ice, they show every single one. There is one and only one catch, its not always MSG feed. They don't do the feed based on home and away either, its just random.

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 10:28 AM
Whoot Whoot
Biased-NYR-Homer

Thank you all very much for your informative posts!

Yes I will be in LA. I really only watch a few things on TV - Discovery Channel + NYR + Soccer Channel. So it seems I should get direct TV with the sports upgrade.

Whoot Whoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 10:29 AM
emodwarf

For the folks saying you can usually choose which feed to watch and that you can watch in HD, do any of you have Comcast instead of satellite? I had Center Ice a few years ago w/ Comcast (sigh) and I only had the option of maybe 2 games each night in HD, and I don't think I had a choice of home/away feeds, either.

Seeing as how those (and cost) were the reasons I stopped subscribing to Center Ice, if those have been fixed then I just might sign up again this year...

emodwarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 10:46 AM
Levitate

I think they really updated a lot of things in the past couple of years.

Almost all HD feeds and started offering both teams broadcasts instead of just one

Whoot Whoot, if you're going to just get DirecTV and the sports package so you get MSG, instead of getting Center Ice, you really need to make sure that you'll be able to watch the actual games.

I'm almost 100% positive that you can't actually watch the games on MSG just through the sports package. DirecTV's website even has this blurb in the section about their sports package:

Quote:
For example, when a network such as MSG purchases the rights from the NBA to broadcast a Knicks game, they pay a fee and broadcast it to the New York City market only. Therefore, we can only allow customers within that market to view the pro games on that channel.

Because of fans like you who have interest in viewing teams from outside of your home market, the leagues have created professional sports subscriptions such as the NBA LEAGUE PASS and NFL SUNDAY TICKET.
So again, I'm 100% positive that just buying the sports package will not let you watch Rangers games. You have to get Center Ice

http://support.directv.com/app/answe...lkL0VyN2hLVDVr

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 10:52 AM
Vito Andolini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
I think they really updated a lot of things in the past couple of years.

Almost all HD feeds and started offering both teams broadcasts instead of just one
[/url]
I think it depends on your cable provider.

I had Cablevision last year and unless I was doing something horribly wrong, they didn't offer Center Ice games in HD. And actually, most games I wouldn't even call SD. The quality was quite poor and just making out the players numbers was tough.

I was able to get games for both teams broadcasts though.

Vito Andolini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 11:07 AM
jdhebner
HFBoards Sponsor

I watched nearly every game from the middle of the Mojave Desert in California last year with CI. The only games I couldin't watch were the ones on Versus--there were about 4. However once the Versus crap was sorted out I saw every game. I've noticed more and more games in HD over the years.

jdhebner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 11:11 AM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

I'll be going to school in Miami this fall semester but Idk if I'm willing to pay for the package just to see the Rangers stink up the Garden this season Lol

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 11:11 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwoz View Post
I just want Verizon to give me MSG HD!
It's coming...hopefully soon. They will be forced to allow others to purchase/broadcast it at some point.

Even living in NYC and getting MSG HD I'd subscribe to Center Ice IF they showed more games in HD. Can't wait until SD is dead.

broadwayblue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 02:30 PM
NYGBleedBlueNYR

You can watch 99% of Rangers games on MSG w directv w/o having center ice ...... Just not live lol. I just got back into hockey last year & I would dvr all of the rangers games replays on msg & watch the games a day late. It sucks but it's possible. I've had the NFL ticket for 10yrs & just cancelled it on Saturday & plan on getting CI instead. I'll go 2 the bar 2 watch NYG if I can't afford both. Fwiw I live in WI

NYGBleedBlueNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 02:39 PM
pwoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
It's coming...hopefully soon. They will be forced to allow others to purchase/broadcast it at some point.

Even living in NYC and getting MSG HD I'd subscribe to Center Ice IF they showed more games in HD. Can't wait until SD is dead.
I've heard it's coming for two years now.

I'm in central NJ and had MSG HD on comcast for a while, but never on FIOS. I hate Dolan!

pwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 04:26 PM
vladmyir111

To watch every rangers game in Cali you'll need VS and NHL network along with CI.

NHL network is annoying they have like 4 games a year from the rangers and they are perfectly spaced out that I have to run the $5 a month subscription all season...I guess I could just turn it on and off around every game, but that's too much work.

Also I don't recall seeing a single game in HD on Comcast Ci in the past 3 years. Even the ones that say HD look like ****, I'm assuming they just compress the **** out of the signal to save bandwidth.

vladmyir111 is offline   Reply With Quote