HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Let's talk Flyers' goaltending

Old
07-26-2010, 09:57 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoJojo View Post
Actually, thats exactly what I believe they do. Look at this offseason. After resigning our RFA's we had something like 6.8 mil left to get a defenseman and a goalie. Pretty simple. There are lots of quality guys out there on the FA market, and what does management do? They spend money on guys like Walker, Odonnell, Shelly, Zherdev and Meszaros. We get into so much cap trouble we have to give up Simon Fing Gagne, and still we go with the cheapest option available in net.
They re-signed Leighton, who 100% earned the position. I understand he doesn't have a great track record, but he played well enough to get to within two wins of the Cup. 'Nuff said. Now the defense in front of him is better. He played well. Not great. Didn't look like Roy out there. There were very few times (if any) where I said, man, Leighton is playing terribly here and is losing the game for the Flyers. I said that with Boucher a bunch. Not Leighton. I am not saying Leighton is the future of this team at all, but I am saying that with the exception of Turco and Nabakov, none of the other FAs are that much of an upgrade over Leighton, if at all. And Turco is still a possibility at this point.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 10:06 PM
jb**

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
They re-signed Leighton, who 100% earned the position. I understand he doesn't have a great track record, but he played well enough to get to within two wins of the Cup. 'Nuff said. Now the defense in front of him is better. He played well. Not great. Didn't look like Roy out there. There were very few times (if any) where I said, man, Leighton is playing terribly here and is losing the game for the Flyers. I said that with Boucher a bunch. Not Leighton. I am not saying Leighton is the future of this team at all, but I am saying that with the exception of Turco and Nabakov, none of the other FAs are that much of an upgrade over Leighton, if at all. And Turco is still a possibility at this point.
How are guys who have a much better track record and have been in the league on a consistient basis not much of an upgrade over Leighton?

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 10:06 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by facts View Post
WTF- and from a few of the most educated. Joseph wanted Philly, Clarkie was the problem, if we put egos aside and put joseph in the net we win the cup simple as that.
thats how i remember it. Joseph did want to come to philly. i remember reading the daily news article about how his agent contacted clarke and we had already decided on vanblowsbrouck. imagine a less embarrasing world with no cechmanek flyers jerseys in existence. there are other teams that couldnt get it together. look at the kings. they were in the cechmanek boat for a while. they had their big dude in the 70's with vachon (parent). Hrudey was their hextall. now they finally stocked up. maybe we are there with the bobs and backlund.

funghoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 10:11 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
Yeah it is your opinion. So who has he developed to be called a great goaltending coach? Who has he been instrumental in having sustained NHL success? So why do you think he is a great goaltending coach as i would really like to hear your opinion on it? He won a cup with Tampa as a coach so what exactly does that have to do with naything??
you serious? you realize that this is a message board right? Why do you care what the basis for my opinion was? I happen to think that he's a good goaltending coach. I happen to think that he worked with Leighton extremely well on taking away angles and working lower in his crease. I DO NOT think that Leighton would have been nearly as good this past year if it hadn't been for Reese. How does the fact that he worked with Khabibulin all season when Tampa won the cup have nothing to do with him being a good goaltending coach? You think the goaltending coach is just there for ***** and giggles? Do you have any information to prove me wrong? No. You don't agree? Awesome, guess what? I don't care. Get off your high horse and stop trying to argue for the sake of argument.

http://www.the700level.com/2010/05/u...eff-reese.html

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 10:23 PM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
you serious? you realize that this is a message board right? Why do you care what the basis for my opinion was? I happen to think that he's a good goaltending coach. I happen to think that he worked with Leighton extremely well on taking away angles and working lower in his crease. I DO NOT think that Leighton would have been nearly as good this past year if it hadn't been for Reese. How does the fact that he worked with Khabibulin all season when Tampa won the cup have nothing to do with him being a good goaltending coach? You think the goaltending coach is just there for ***** and giggles? Do you have any information to prove me wrong? No. You don't agree? Awesome, guess what? I don't care. Get off your high horse and stop trying to argue for the sake of argument.

yes i do have info to prove you wrong. He has developed no one and usually great goaltending coaches dont get fired. Again who has he helped turn into a quality goalie in the NHL? He worked with Bulin sure, bulin was already an established goalie though their chief and a top one at that. The fact that Leigton sucked and really had no where to go but up really doesnt do much for me. So stopo with this Reese is God and a great coach. He hasnt proven much to deserve any inkling he is great. That isnt an opinion. That is a fact.

Old
07-26-2010, 11:06 PM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

Quote:
The Flyers did this already, last summer by hiring Jeff Reese. Reese, in my opinion, is one of the best goaltending coaches in the league. We saw what he was able to do with Leighton. I can't wait to see how he's able to work with Bobrobsky in training camp.
thank you, this is info i didnt know which is why i started the thread.

I just think that if the flyers ever developed goalies the way they produce forwards and to a lessor extent defensemen they would be a powerhouse for years

donpaulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 11:22 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by donpaulo View Post

I just think that if the flyers ever developed goalies the way they produce forwards and to a lessor extent defensemen they would be a powerhouse for years
i have a different idea, and its called "i give you shelley, and you give me lundqvist."

so, meet in my Food Lion parking lot to exchange?

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 12:48 AM
Haute Couturier

Quote:

What if Leighton regresses this year as many expect him to do? Will Reese still be this great coach then? It's far too early to label Reese as a great goaltending coach. Yes, his success with Leighton was impressive, but the fact of the matter is that it was far too small of a sample to say how much of an effect he had on Leighton. There are plenty of mediocre goalies that get hot for a year. The real proof is how long Leighton can sustain that success.

I just think it's absurd how so many fans and Philly media think he is some great magical coach that can make anyone he works with better when he certainly did not have such success in Tampa. Lemelin had a lot of initial success with goalies, too, but most Flyers fans think he is the devil. It's far too early to say what kind of coach Reese is.

Quote:

The Flyers really don't develop defenseman either which always gets overlooked, but they have been able to acquire plenty of solid defenseman unlike the goaltending position. I just think the Flyers wouldn't recognize a good goalie if one fell into their laps and when it comes to free agency goaltending is their last priority.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 04:38 AM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
yeah yeah a ranger fan posting on the flyers board. Shocking i know. but seriously guys and gals I was wondering about this. As an outsider I am used to seeing the fly boys bringing the wood, the hitting, the crashing the nets, the physical play all in spades. Hey, hats off to the team that can play that kind of system. Its entertaining to watch, exciting hockey too.

No problem developing the forwards it seems. The team has done well with its early round picks and has some great size, speed and skill up front. The blueline is mostly assembled via trade but if you have the assets to make the trade then it all comes out in the wash. Great looking blueline again this upcoming season.

What I want to talk to you about is the goaltending. Its very interesting that the team can produce or acquire so many gifted skaters yet seems to have issues in nets.

Yes there are exceptions of course. I mean Hextall and Pete Peters are the two who really stand out with an honorable mention to Pelle Lindberg. Yet the cupboard seems bare. Yes they drafted Boucher, Nittymaki, Chechmanek but those are some slim pickins.

Why do you feel Philly has failed to develop a true franchise netminder in a generation ?

I find it surprising considering how many excellent skaters that have come from the program.

thoughts ?
comments ?
#1 so you know where I am coming from. I hate the rags. I hate everything that has to do with ny. Two things I love. Whopping your teams butt and sticking it to your obnoxious fellow fans. First things first, as good as Ron and Pete were they could not hold Pelle's jock. His death cost us cups yes I said cups and I will take that to my grave. But I will agree with you that GT is one area we have not hit pay dirt on. Hopefully it does look like we have some decent prospects coming up. This organization has always prided itself on being a heavy fore-checking and good defensive team. Going to the net hard and paying the price. Standing up for each other at all times. Which my counterpart from ny is more than I can say for your team over the years. Anyway you cannot say it is for lack of effort but we have not been able to find that special tender since Ron. Who knows why. Anyway I look forward to the season and kicking your team's behind BY the way you know how we die hard hockey fans are about our teams. Isn't this the best sport of all

Later

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 05:45 AM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Where did all this stuff about Reese being a good goalie coach come from? TB's goaltending sucked with him after Khabi left, we were 19th in the league in SV% this season, but Leighton has 30 decent games (as I pointed out, half of them were against bottom-10 offensive teams and he only played 3 teams in the top-10 of NHL offense until he got to the Finals and got ****ing lit up brighter than the NYC Christmas tree) and all of a sudden Reese is some kind of guru?

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 07:34 AM
phillyfanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan808 View Post
I will "see" the results when they're playing for the Flyers posting "W's." Until then they are prospects that haven't proven a ******* thing. Lets hold off on patting management on the back please.
Sounds good, but I am pleased with the "direction" we have taken at this time.

phillyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 09:15 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
Clarke could not explain his decisions in rational ways because he would get all irritated about personal grievances so you are incorrect. Sharp wasn't a rational decision and the excuse that "who could have known he would be good" is rather weak since it's his job to evaluate talent properly. Same with McCrimmon decision to let him go which was another case of taking things personally. There are so many more to name that you probably don't recall given your age...
Sharp asked to *ing leave. It was pretty rational. He didn't want to keep around a player that didn't want to be here.

Clarke had his problems as a GM, but he could absolutely explain his decisions to you. And making an error in evaluation is an error, not an example of irrationality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
I dont recall that being the case at all, Joseph not wanting to xcome here. It was well known Richter wasnt leaving NY, unless i suppose such an offer he couldnt turn down. The whoel joseph didnt want to come here i dotn recall that at all, not sayign it may not be correct, i just dont remember that being the case. Neilson wanted beezer, i recall it was as simple as that really.

Also anyoen cpmcparing Shooter to Clarke, is comical. Shooter couldnt hold Clarke's jockstrap when it comes to being a GM. Is it any wonder why Holmgren was never ever offered another GM job after Hartford? Was the guy even interviewed for one? Was ever in contention for one?
My understanding, and has been for some time, is that Cujo was an example of the Toronto draw actually having real pull. There's a reason Cujo went back to retire a Leaf.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 09:26 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Sharp asked to *ing leave. It was pretty rational. He didn't want to keep around a player that didn't want to be here.

Clarke had his problems as a GM, but he could absolutely explain his decisions to you. And making an error in evaluation is an error, not an example of irrationality.

My understanding, and has been for some time, is that Cujo was an example of the Toronto draw actually having real pull. There's a reason Cujo went back to retire a Leaf.
He asked to leave but did he have to accept garbage in return? Ellison is rational? Makes absolutely no sense....

Clarke was a better BS'er than Holmgren..i'll give him that. Holmgren is somewhat more honest IMO...but usually at the end of the season when he's more plainspoken. His poker face is pretty lousy during the season.

Anyway, we'll agree to disagree on this whole point. What are you going to do.

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 09:39 AM
Jester

Quote:
He asked to leave but did he have to accept garbage in return? Ellison is rational? Makes absolutely no sense....

Clarke was a better BS'er than Holmgren..i'll give him that. Holmgren is somewhat more honest IMO...but usually at the end of the season when he's more plainspoken. His poker face is pretty lousy during the season.

Anyway, we'll agree to disagree on this whole point. What are you going to do.
Sharp and Meloche

for

Ellison and 3rd rd pick (translated into Matsumoto and Kovar)

At time of trade:

Sharp had 15 pts in 69 NHL games, 114 pts in 163 AHL games.

Ellison (2 years younger) had 13 pts in 36 games, 86 pts in 142 AHL games.

Both were mid round picks, and neither seemed like anything all that special. Sharp was a bit more polished, but also older... so expected. Ellison was coming off a nice AHL season and OK start to the year in Chicago. It didn't work out, but it was an unremarkable trade at the time and only became remarkable when Sharp vastly surpassed his perceived potential.

Old
07-27-2010, 09:41 AM
phillyfanatic

Clarke was the worst GM in hockey for the last 3-5 years he was doing it. Paul Holmgren was running the draft, and that is why we have Mike Richards, Jeff Carter, Claude Giroux, had Steve Downie, etc. Clarke didn't even know Girouxs name when they picked him. He was not involved with the draft. His trade record was atrocious before he re-signed (and he himself admitted he wasn't up for the job anymore), free agents still came to Philly because, this is the Flyers, and we always attract free agents. Even with great drafts and free agents coming here, he still hired Hitchcock and traded away good players and made this a last place team.

Trade History until he was let go:
5-Dec-05 Matt Ellison & 2006 3rd Rounder (transferred to Mtl - Ryan White) Chicago Blackhawks Patrick Sharp & Eric Meloche

28-Dec-05 Kiel McLeod Phoenix Coyotes Eric Chouinard
20-Jan-06 Petr Nedved + 2006 4th Rounder (Joonas Lehtivuori) + option to swap 2007 3rd rounders (not taken) Phoenix Coyotes Dennis Seidenberg + 2006 4th Rounder (transferred to NYI - Tomas Marcinko)

23-Jan-06 2007 6th Rounder (Patrick Maroon) Florida Panthers Jon Sim

9-Mar-06 Denis Gauthier Phoenix Coyotes John Gratton, Tampa's 2006 2nd rounder (transferred to Det - Shawn Matthias), Florida's 2006 2nd Rounder (transferred to Det - Cory Emmerton)

9-Mar-06 Niko Dimitrakos San Jose Sharks 2006 3rd Rounder (transferred to CBJ - Tommy Sestito)

19-Apr-06 2006 2nd Rounder (Michael Ratchuk) Los Angeles Kings Dean Lombardi

24-Jun-06 2006 3rd Rounder (Jonathan Matsumoto) + 2006 4th Rounder (Jakub Kovar) Montreal Canadiens 2006 3rd Rounder (Ryan White)

2-Aug-06 Eric Meloche Chicago Blackhawks Vaclav Pletka

4-Aug-06 Kyle Calder Chicago Blackhawks Michal Handzus

9-Nov-06 Darren Reid Tampa Bay Lightning Daniel Corso

13-Nov-06 Todd Fedoruk Anaheim Mighty Ducks 2007 4th Rounder (Justin Vaive) + futures

16-Dec-06 Alexei Zhitnik New York Islanders Freddy Meyer & 2007 Conditional 3rd Rounder (Mark Katic)

20-Dec-06 Mike York New York Islanders Randy Robitaille & 2008 5th Rounder (Matthew Martin)

Old
07-27-2010, 09:46 AM
Jester

We don't have Mike Richards AND Jeff Carter if not for Bob Clarke.

EDIT: We also no longer have Steve Downie because of idiot stick currently running the organization, and the terrible trade that led to that all happening involved us giving up our 1st rd pick, which Washington used to draft John Carlson.

EDIT2: Clarke also resigned in early November... so you're including some of Holmgren's trades to Clarke.

Last edited by Jester: 07-27-2010 at 09:52 AM.
Old
07-27-2010, 09:57 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfanatic View Post
Clarke was the worst GM in hockey for the last 3-5 years he was doing it. Paul Holmgren was running the draft, and that is why we have Mike Richards, Jeff Carter, Claude Giroux, had Steve Downie, etc. Clarke didn't even know Girouxs name when they picked him. He was not involved with the draft. His trade record was atrocious before he re-signed (and he himself admitted he wasn't up for the job anymore), free agents still came to Philly because, this is the Flyers, and we always attract free agents. Even with great drafts and free agents coming here, he still hired Hitchcock and traded away good players and made this a last place team.
OK, I actually have to respond directly to this ridiculous paragraph.

1) As noted, you can thank Bob Clarke for this team having Richards and Carter as he stockpiled picks in strong drafts (the opposite of Holmgren).

2) His trade record is DEMONSTRABLY in his favor.

3) I love how "resigned" gets used for "re-signed" all the time, and here "re-signed" gets used for "resigned."

4) The final year before the lockout we reached the ECF and probably would have won the Stanley Cup if our entire defense hadn't of gotten hurt.

5) The team he constructed coming out of the lockout was VERY good... until injuries derailed it. Pitkanen was playing like a Norris candidate until he ripped his abdomen in half... KJ got a concussion... Rathje's butt exploded... so on, and so forth.

6) The problem the following year was that Primeau's status was up in the air and because of that Clarke was unable to fill his position on the roster. Forsberg was hurt and hurt... and hurt... and they were forced to hope that Richards, Carter, and Pitkanen were ready to carry a big load in their 2nd year. They weren't ready. The situation snowballed and it was downhill from there. However, as was obvious at the time, we had talent it just was a team that wasn't ready...

Old
07-27-2010, 10:01 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
All I got to say is that I want Dean Lombardi back! I remember the day the Flyers let him walk because he was shuffled in the background of the organization. I said the Flyers would regret not giving him a chance to do what he did in SJ and now is doing in LA. Instead, I have to engage in and listen to least worst arguments between Holmgren and Clarke. They needed somebody outside the family and they had it in Lombardi but they kept the cosa nostra family philosophy by letting Lombardi go and letting Clarke jank up and then handing over the reins to Holmgren who initially did real well but has since relapsed....

Old
07-27-2010, 10:15 AM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
OK, I actually have to respond directly to this ridiculous paragraph.

1) As noted, you can thank Bob Clarke for this team having Richards and Carter as he stockpiled picks in strong drafts (the opposite of Holmgren).

2) His trade record is DEMONSTRABLY in his favor.

3) I love how "resigned" gets used for "re-signed" all the time, and here "re-signed" gets used for "resigned."

4) The final year before the lockout we reached the ECF and probably would have won the Stanley Cup if our entire defense hadn't of gotten hurt.

5) The team he constructed coming out of the lockout was VERY good... until injuries derailed it. Pitkanen was playing like a Norris candidate until he ripped his abdomen in half... KJ got a concussion... Rathje's butt exploded... so on, and so forth.

6) The problem the following year was that Primeau's status was up in the air and because of that Clarke was unable to fill his position on the roster. Forsberg was hurt and hurt... and hurt... and they were forced to hope that Richards, Carter, and Pitkanen were ready to carry a big load in their 2nd year. They weren't ready. The situation snowballed and it was downhill from there. However, as was obvious at the time, we had talent it just was a team that wasn't ready...
During Clarkes second tenure as GM he rarely mader any trades where he didnt come out on top. As you said eh always stockpiled draft choices. The biggest mistake he ever made imo was not getting the goalie and trading Therian and Weinrich in 04. His loyalty got the best of him as he put the players career above his own teams and it came back to bite him hard. Dont give me Shooter did all the drafting either(no doubt had abig say) as Clarke had the final say. If you want to give Shooter credit for those then also rip him for not getting any other players in the other rounds and never drafting any golaie of note, and not drafting any solid dman. Nah blame that on clarke and the good picks on Shooter. Cant believe people are trying to make an argument on who was better.

Old
07-27-2010, 11:09 AM
phillyfanatic

Bobby Clarke history:
Sure he had some great years, the John Leclair trade. But If you look at his trade history, specifically the last 5 years, I can't find a trade we win. Nothing significant. I can find lots we lost: Justin Williams, Patrick Sharp, Michael Handzus, Todd Fedoruk, Roenick, etc.

Bob Clarke Florida Panthers 1994 2nd Rounder (Ryan Johnson) as compensation
29-Jun-94 Kevin Haller Montreal Canadiens Yves Racine
6-Sep-94 Philadelphia's 1995 4th Rounder (Radovan Somik) Tampa Bay Lightning Alexander Selivanov
22-Sep-94 Ron Hextall & 1995 6th Rounder (Dimitri Tertyshny) New York Islanders Tommy Soderstrom
2-Feb-95 Mike Greenlay Tampa Bay Lightning Scott LaGrand
9-Feb-95 Eric Desjardins, Gilbert Dionne & John LeClair Montreal Canadiens Mark Recchi & 1995 3rd Rounder (Martin Hohenberger)
10-Feb-95 undisclosed amount of cash Montreal Canadiens Mark Lamb
15-Feb-95 Shawn Antoski Vancouver Canucks Josef Beranek
16-Feb-95 Karl Dykhuis Chicago Blackhawks Bob Wilkie & 1997 5th Rounder (Kyle Calder)
8-Mar-95 Anatoli Semenov Anaheim Mighty Ducks Milos Holan
13-Mar-95 Brad Zavisha & 1995 6th Rounder (Jamie Sokolsky) Edmonton Oilers Ryan McGill
7-Apr-95 Petr Svoboda Buffalo Sabres Garry Galley
27-Jun-95 Russ Romaniuk Winnipeg Jets rights to Jeff Finley
8-Jul-95 1996 5th Rounder (Per-Ragnar Bergqvist) Toronto Maple Leafs Rob Zettler
12-Jul-95 rights to Garth Snow Colorado Avalanche 1996 3rd Rounder (Shawn McNeil) & 1996 6th Rounder (Kai Fischer)
30-Aug-95 1996 1st Rounder (Dainius Zubrus), 1997 2nd Rounder (Jean-Marc Pelletier) and Los Angeles' 1996 4th Rounder (Mikeal Simmons) Toronto Maple Leafs Dimitri Yushkevich & 1996 2nd Rounder (Francis Larivee)
20-Sep-95 1997 7th Rounder (later traded to Anaheim; Andrew Merrick) Winnipeg Jets Andre Faust
16-Nov-95 Pat Falloon San Jose Sharks 1996 1st Rounder (later transferred to Phoenix; Daniel Briere) & 1996 4th Rounder (later transferred to Buffalo; Mike Martone) & Martin Spanhel
13-Dec-95 Trent Klatt Dallas Stars Brent Fedyk
28-Dec-95 1997 3rd Rounder (Kris Mallette) & 1997 7th Rounder (later returned to Whalers - Andrew Merrick) Hartford Whalers Kevin Dineen
23-Jan-96 Dan Quinn Ottawa Senators Cash
6-Feb-96 Bob Corkum Anaheim Mighty Ducks Chris Herperger & Winnipeg's 1997 7th Rounder (Tony Mohagen)
17-Feb-96 Tim Cheveldae & 1996 3rd Rounder (Chester Gallant) Winnipeg Jets Dominic Roussel
15-Mar-96 Dale Hawerchuk St.Louis Blues Craig MacTavish
19-Mar-96 Kerry Huffman Ottawa Senators 1996 9th Rounder (Sami Salo)
19-Mar-96 Brian Wesenberg Anaheim Mighty Ducks Anatoli Semenov & rights to Mike Crowley
19-Mar-96 John Druce & 1997 7th Rounder (Todd Fedoruk) Los Angeles Kings Los Angeles' 1996 4th Rounder (Mikael Simons)
18-Jul-96 Frank Bialowas Washington Capitals futures
15-Dec-96 Paul Coffey and 1997 3rd Rounder (Kris Mallette) Hartford Whalers Kevin Haller, 1997 1st Rounder (later transferred to San Jose; Scott Hannan) & Hartford's 7th Rounder (Andrew Merrick)
18-Mar-97 Frantisek Kucera Vancouver Canucks futures
18-Jun-97 rights to Martin Cerven Edmonton Oilers 1997 7th Rounder (Chad Hinz)
21-Jun-97 1998 2nd Rounder (later transferred to Ottawa; Chris Bala) Dallas Stars 1997 3rd Rounder (Steve Gainey)
20-Aug-97 Philadelphia's 1998 (Simon Gagne),1999 (Maxime Ouellet),2000 (Justin Williams), 2001 1st Rounder (transfered to Ottawa - Tim Gleason) Tampa Bay Lightning Mikael Renberg & Karl Dykhuis
15-Oct-97 Brantt Myhres Edmonton Oilers Jason Bowen
21-Oct-97 Mike Maneluk Ottawa Senators Cash
17-Jan-98 Alexandre Daigle Ottawa Senators Vaclav Prospal, Pat Falloon & Dallas' 1998 2nd Rounder (Chris Bala)
5-Feb-98 Mike Sillinger Vancouver Canucks Philadelphia's 1998 5th Rounder (later traded back to Flyers - Garrett Prosofsky)
4-Mar-98 Sean Burke Vancouver Canucks Garth Snow
9-Mar-98 Roger Neilson St.Louis Blues 1999 6th Rounder (Tore Vikingstad)
24-Mar-98 Dave Babych & Philadelphia's Philadelphia's 1998 5th Rounder (previously acquired - Garrett Prosofsky) Vancouver Canucks Philadelphia's 1998 3rd Rounder (Justin Morrison)
24-Mar-98 Dan McGillis & Edmonton's 1998 2nd Rounder (Jason Beckett) Edmonton Oilers Janne Niinimaa
27-Jun-98 Nashville's 1998 7th Rounder (Cam Ondrik) Nashville Predators Dominic Roussel & Jeff Staples
27-Jun-98 NY Islanders' 1998 5th Rounder (Francis Belanger) Chicago Blackhawks Paul Coffey
6-Aug-98 1999 7th Rounder (Pavel Kasparik) San Jose Sharks Johan Hedberg
25-Aug-98 2000 6th Rounder (transfered to Mtl - Scott Selig) New York Islanders Ray Giroux
5-Oct-98 Valeri Zelepukin Edmonton Oilers Daniel Lacroix
13-Oct-98 Rights to Ryan Bast & 1999 8th Rounder (David Nystrom) Calgary Flames 1999 3rd Rounder (Patrick Aufiero)
19-Oct-98 2000 6th Rounder (transferred to Atl. - Jeff Dwyer) Vancouver Canucks Trent Klatt
12-Nov-98 Keith Jones Colorado Avalanche Shjon Podein
17-Nov-98 Roman Vopat Chicago Blackhawks Mike Maneluk
12-Dec-98 Mikael Renberg & Daymond Langkow Tampa Bay Lightning Chris Gratton & Mike Sillinger
28-Dec-98 Karl Dykhuis Tampa Bay Lightning Petr Svoboda
8-Jan-99 Dennis Bonvie Chicago Blackhawks Frank Bialowas
26-Jan-99 futures Nashville Predators Sergei Klimentiev
29-Jan-99 Andrei Kovalenko Edmonton Oilers Alexandre Daigle
10-Feb-99 Sean O'Brien Pittsburgh Penguins futures
6-Mar-99 Adam Burt Carolina Hurricanes Andrei Kovalenko
10-Mar-99 Mark Recchi Montreal Canadiens Dainius Zubrus, 1999 2nd Rounder (Matt Carkner) & NYI's 2000 6th Rounder (Scott Selig)
20-Mar-99 Sandy McCarthy & Mikael Andersson Tampa Bay Lightning Colin Forbes & 1999 5th Rounder (Michal Lanicek)
23-Mar-99 Craig Berube Washington Capitals Cash
23-Mar-99 Steve Duchesne Los Angeles Kings Dave Babych & 2000 5th Rounder (Nathan Marsters)
25-May-99 Francis Lessard Carolina Hurricanes 1999 8th Rounder (Antti Jokela)
1-Jun-99 1999 6th Rounder (Konstantin Rudenko) Vancouver Canucks Pat Kavanagh
27-Sep-99 Matt Henderson Nashville Predators Paul Healey
15-Oct-99 Jody Hull Atlanta Thrashers Cash
20-Oct-99 Futures Montreal Canadiens Karl Dykhuis
16-Nov-99 Steve Washburn Nashville Predators 2001 conditional pick (no pick required - min. # of games not met)
30-Nov-99 Rastislav Pavlikovsky Ottawa Senators on loan
9-Dec-99 Eric Bertrand Atlanta Thrashers Brian Wesenburg
23-Jan-00 Keith Primeau & 2000 5th Rounder (transfered to NYI - Kristofer Ottoson) Carolina Hurricanes Rod Brind'Amour, Jean-Marc Pelletier & 2000 2nd Rounder (Argis Saviels)
26-Jan-00 Todd White Chicago Blackhawks 2001 Conditional Pick (no pick required - min. # of games not met)
14-Feb-00 Futures Nashville Predators Eric Bertrand
15-Feb-00 Gino Odjick New York Islanders Mikael Andersson & Carolina's 2000 5th Rounder (Kristofer Ottoson)
6-Mar-00 Travis Brigley & 2001 6th Rounder (Andrei Razin) Calgary Flames Marc Bureau
8-Mar-00 Rick Tocchet Phoenix Coyotes Mikael Renberg
14-Mar-00 Kent Manderville Carolina Hurricanes Sandy McCarthy
14-Mar-00 Kirby Law Atlanta Thrashers Vancouver's 2000 6th Rounder (Jeff Dwyer) & 2001 6th Rounder (Pasi Nurminen)
31-May-00 Paul Ranheim Carolina Hurricanes 2002 8th Rounder (Darren Reid)
12-Jun-00 Mark Janssens Chicago Blackhawks 2000 9th Rounder (Arne Ramholt)
25-Jun-00 2000 6th Rounder(Roman Cechmanek) + Montreal's 2000 7th Rounder(John Eichelberger) + Toronto's 2000 9th Rounder (Milan Kopecky) Tampa Bay Lightning 2000 4th Rounder (Johan Hagglund)
25-Jun-00 2001 4th Rounder (transferred to Nashville - Jordin Tootoo) New York Islanders John Vanbiesbrouck
27-Jul-00 Mark Freer Houston Aeros (IHL) futures
26-Sep-00 Chris McAllister Toronto Maple Leafs Regan Kelly
29-Sep-00 Detroit's 2001 3rd rounder (Patrick Sharp) Nashville Predators Mark Eaton
7-Dec-00 P.J. Stock & 2001 6th rounder (Dennis Seidenberg) Montreal Canadiens Gino Odjick
14-Jan-01 John Slaney Pittsburgh Penguins Kevin Stevens
13-Feb-01 Matt Zultek Boston Bruins 2001 9th Rounder (Marcel Rodman)
13-Mar-01 Dean McAmmond Chicago Blackhawks 2001 3rd Rounder (transferred to Toronto - Nicolas Corbeil)
13-Mar-01 Matt Herr Washington Capitals Dean Melanson
24-May-01 Mike Watt Nashville Predators Mikhail Chernov
23-Jun-01 Jiri Dopita Florida Panthers 2001 2nd Rounder (transfered to Calgary - Andrei Medvedev)
23-Jun-01 Ottawa's 2001 1st Rounder (Jeff Woywitka), 2001 7th Rounder (David Printz), Tampa 2002 2nd Rounder (transfered to Tampa - Tobias Stephan) Ottawa Senators 2001 1st Rounder (Tim Gleason)
24-Jun-01 2002 4th Rounder (Rosario Ruggeri) Calgary Flames Dean McAmmond
24-Jun-01 2001 4th Rounder (transferred to Carolina - Rob Zepp) , 2001 5th Rounder(Jussi Timonen) & 2001 7th Rounder (Thierry Douville) Nashville Predators 2001 4th Rounder(Jordin Tootoo)
24-Jun-01 2002 3rd Rounder (transferred back to Carolina - Jesse Lane) Carolina Hurricanes 2001 4th Rounder (Rob Zepp)
24-Jun-01 2002 3rd Rounder (transferred to Vancouver - Brett Skinner) Tampa Bay Lightning 2001 4th Rounder (Aaron Lobb), 2001 5th Rounder (Paul Lynch) & 2001 7th Rounder (Dennis Packard)
24-Jun-01 2002 7th Rounder (Mathieu Brunelle) Tampa Bay Lightning 2001 8th Rounder(Jean-Francois Soucy), 2002 9th Rounder (John Toffey)
2-Jul-01 2003 1st Rounder (Jeff Carter) and 2002 2nd Rounder (transferred to Tampa then to SJ - Dan Spang) Phoenix Coyotes Daymond Langkow
31-Jul-01 2002 3rd Rounder (transferred to Phoenix - Joe Callahan) Nashville Predators Andy Delmore
20-Aug-01 Jan Hlavac, Kim Johnsson, Pavel Brendl & 2003 3rd Rounder (Stefan Ruzicka) New York Rangers Eric Lindros
17-Dec-01 Donald Brashear + 2002 6th Rounder Vancouver Canucks Jan Hlavac + Tampa Bay's 2002 3rd Rounder (Brett Skinner)
11-Jan-02 Yves Sarault + conditional 2003 pick (condition not met - nothing) Nashville Predators Jason Beckett + Petr Hubacek
13-Feb-02 Greg Koehler Carolina Hurricanes Jesse Boulerice
5-Mar-02 Jarrod Skalde Atlanta Thrashers Joe DiPenta
15-Mar-02 David Harlock, 2003 3rd Rounder (transferred to Phoenix - Tyler Redenbach) & 2003 7th Rounder (transferred to SJ -Dany Roussin) Atlanta Thrashers Francis Lessard
17-Mar-02 Billy Tibbetts Pittsburgh Penguins Kent Manderville
19-Mar-02 Adam Oates Washington Capitals Maxime Ouellet, 2002 1st Rounder (transferred to Dallas - Martin Vagner), 2002 2nd Rounder (Maxime Daigneault), 2002 3rd Rounder (Derek Krestanovich)
12-Jun-02 Michal Handzus & Robert Esche Phoenix Coyotes Brian Boucher & Nashville's 2002 3rd Rounder (Joe Callahan)
18-Jun-02 2003 3rd Rounder (Alexandre Picard) & conditional 2004 5th Rounder (not met) Edmonton Oilers Jiri Dopita
21-Jun-02 2002 1st Rounder (Joni Pitkanen) Tampa Bay Lightning Ruslan Fedotenko & Tampa's 2002 2nd Rounder (Tobias Stephan) & Phoenix's 2002 2nd Rounder (Dan Spang)
22-Jun-02 2002 6th Rounder (Nikita Korovkin) & 2003 3rd Rounder (Colin Fraser) Carolina Hurricanes Carolina's 2002 3rd Rounder (previously acquired) (Jesse Lane)
23-Jun-02 2003 5th Rounder (David Tremblay) Columbus Blue Jackets 2002 6th Rounder(Jarosalv Balastik) & 2002 7th Rounder(Steven Goertzen)
6-Dec-02 Marcus Ragnarsson San Jose Sharks Dan McGillis
19-Dec-02 2004 Conditional Draft Pick Phoenix Coyotes Paul Ranheim
29-Jan-03 Eric Chouinard Montreal Canadiens 2003 2nd Rounder (Maxim Lapierre)
5-Feb-03 Todd Warriner Vancouver Canucks Conditional pick (conditon not met)
7-Feb-03 2003 6th Rounder (Ville Hostikka) Colorado Avalanche Chris McAllister
7-Feb-03 Sami Kapanen & Ryan Bast Carolina Hurricanes Pavel Brendl & Bruno St.Jacques
1-Mar-03 Dimitri Yushkevich Los Angeles Kings 2003 4th Rounder (transferred to Boston - Patrik Valcak) & 2004 7th Rounder
9-Mar-03 Claude Lapointe New York Islanders 2003 5th Rounder(transferred to Pitts - Evgeni Isakov)
10-Mar-03 Tony Amonte Phoenix Coyotes Guillaume Lefebvre, 2004 2nd Rounder (transferred to NYR - Brandon Dubinsky), Atlanta's 2003 3rd Rounder (Tyler Redenbach)
28-May-03 2004 2nd Rounder (transferred to Chicago - Bryan Bickell) Los Angeles Kings Roman Cechmanek
22-Jun-03 2004 6th Rounder (Fredreik Cabana) Carolina Hurricanes Marty Murray
22-Jun-03 2004 6th Rounder (Ladisalv Scurko) San Jose Sharks 2003 7th Rounder (Joe Pavelski)
22-Jun-03 2004 6th Rounder Florida Panthers 2003 7th Rounder (Dany Roussin)
22-Jun-03 2004 7th Rounder (transferred to New York Islanders) & 2004 9th Rounder Tampa Bay Lightning 2003 8th Rounder (Raimonds Danilics) & 2003 9th Rounder (Zbynek Hrdel)
30-Jun-03 2004 7th Rounder Washington Capitals Dimitri Yushkevich
16-Dec-03 Mike Comrie Edmonton Oilers Jeff Woywitka, 2004 1st Rounder (Robbie Schremp) & 2005 3rd Rounder (Danny Syvret)
17-Dec-03 2004 5th Rounder (Chris Zarb) Minnesota Wild Eric Chouinard
20-Jan-04 Danny Markov Carolina Hurricanes Justin Williams
22-Jan-04 Mattias Timander New York Islanders Tampa Bay's 2004 7th Rounder
9-Feb-04 2004 5th Rounder (Gino Pisellini) St.Louis Blues Eric Weinrich
9-Feb-04 Sean Burke,Ben Eager,Branko Radivojevic Phoenix Coyotes Mike Comrie
16-Feb-04 Steve Gainey Dallas Stars Mike Siklenka
19-Feb-04 Alexei Zhamnov & Washington's 2004 4th Rounder (Micheal R.J. Anderson) Chicago Blackhawks Jim Vandermeer, Colin Fraser & LA's 2004 2nd Rounder (Bryan Bickell)
8-Mar-04 Vladimir Malakhov New York Rangers Rick Kozak & 2005 2nd Rounder (transferred to ATL - Ondrej Pavelec)
8-Mar-04 2004 8th Rounder (Martin Houle) & 2005 3rd Rounder (transferred to Tampa - Chris Lawrence) Dallas Stars Chris Therien
27-Jun-04 2005 3rd Rounder (Oskars Bartulis) Tampa Bay 2004 5th Rounder (Brandon Eliott) & 2004 6th Rounder (Jan Zapletal) & 2004 6th Rounder (Karri Ramo)
29-Jul-05 2005 2nd Rounder (transferred to Pheonix - Pier-Oliver Pelletier) Anaheim Mighty Ducks Todd Fedoruk
30-Jul-05 2005 1st Rounder (Steve Downie) + 2006 2nd Rounder (transferred to Detroit - Cory Emmerton) Florida Panthers 2005 1st Rounder (Kenndal McArdle)
30-Jul-05 2005 4th Rounder (Jeremy Duchesne) + 2006 2nd Rounder (Andreas Nodl) Phoenix Coyotes 2005 2nd Rounder (Pier-Oliver Pelletier)
30-Jul-05 2006 2nd Rounder (transferred to Phoenix - transferred to Detroit - Shawn Matthias) Tampa Bay 2005 3rd Rounder (Chris Lawrence) + 2005 4th Rounder (Blair Jones)
2-Aug-05 2006 3rd Rounder (transferred to Los Angeles - Bud Holloway) Nashville Predators Danny Markov
4-Aug-05 Futures Los Angeles Kings Jeremy Roenick + Nashville 2006 3rd Rounder (Bud Holloway)
5-Dec-05 Matt Ellison & 2006 3rd Rounder (transferred to Mtl - Ryan White) Chicago Blackhawks Patrick Sharp & Eric Meloche
28-Dec-05 Kiel McLeod Phoenix Coyotes Eric Chouinard
20-Jan-06 Petr Nedved + 2006 4th Rounder (Joonas Lehtivuori) + option to swap 2007 3rd rounders (not taken) Phoenix Coyotes Dennis Seidenberg + 2006 4th Rounder (transferred to NYI - Tomas Marcinko)
23-Jan-06 2007 6th Rounder (Patrick Maroon) Florida Panthers Jon Sim
9-Mar-06 Denis Gauthier Phoenix Coyotes John Gratton, Tampa's 2006 2nd rounder (transferred to Det - Shawn Matthias), Florida's 2006 2nd Rounder (transferred to Det - Cory Emmerton)
9-Mar-06 Niko Dimitrakos San Jose Sharks 2006 3rd Rounder (transferred to CBJ - Tommy Sestito)
24-Jun-06 2006 3rd Rounder (Jonathan Matsumoto) + 2006 4th Rounder (Jakub Kovar) Montreal Canadiens 2006 3rd Rounder (Ryan White)
2-Aug-06 Eric Meloche Chicago Blackhawks Vaclav Pletka
4-Aug-06 Kyle Calder Chicago Blackhawks Michal Handzus
9-Nov-06 Darren Reid Tampa Bay Lightning Daniel Corso
13-Nov-06 Todd Fedoruk Anaheim Mighty Ducks 2007 4th Rounder (Justin Vaive) + futures

Old
07-27-2010, 11:18 AM
phillyfanatic

And Homer:
He may very well be burning out, Lord knows the GM of the Flyers is a stressful post. I see many wins (Forsberg deal, Coburn, Biron, Timonen/Hartnell, Pronger, Smith/Lupol, Prospal twice, Legein, Leino, Hamhuis) and bad (Gagne, Eminger, Gauthier, Upshall, Umberger (not bad)).

Alexei Zhitnik New York Islanders Freddy Meyer & 2007 Conditional 3rd Rounder (Mark Katic)
20-Dec-06 Mike York New York Islanders Randy Robitaille & 2008 5th Rounder (Matthew Martin)
15-Feb-07 Ryan Parent,Scottie Upshall,2007 1st Rounder (transferred back to Nashville - Jonathon Blum) & 2007 3rd Rounder (transferred to WASH - Phil Desimone) Nashville Predators Peter Forsberg
24-Feb-07 Braydon Coburn Atlanta Thrashers Alexei Zhitnik
26-Feb-06 Lasse Kukkonen & 2007 3rd Rounder (Garrett Klotz) Chicago Blackhawks Kyle Calder
27-Feb-07 Martin Biron Buffalo Sabres 2007 2nd Rounder (T.J. Brennan)
4-Jun-07 futures Nashville Predators Matt Ellison
18-Jun-07 Kimmo Timonen & Scott Hartnell Nashville Predators Nashville's 2007 1st Rounder (previously obtained - Jonathon Blum)
23-Jun-07 2007 2nd Rounder (Kevin Marshall) Washington Captials 2008 2nd Rounder (Dmitri Kugryshev) + Nashville's 2007 3rd Rounder (Phil Desimone)
1-Jul-07 Jason Smith & Joffrey Lupul Edmonton Oilers Joni Pitkanen , Geoff Sanderson & 2009 3rd rounder (transferred to Calgary - Ryan Howse)
10-Dec-07 2009 7th Rounder Dallas Stars Jussi Timonen
19-Dec-07 Jim Vandermeer Chicago Blackhawks Ben Eager
19-Feb-08 Jaroslav Modry Los Angeles Kings 2008 3rd rounder (Geordie Wudrick)
20-Feb-08 2009 3rd rounder (Simon Bertilsson) Calgary Flames Jim Vandermeer
25-Feb-08 Vaclav Prospal Tampa Bay Lightning Alexandre Picard & 2009 2nd rounder (Richard Panik)
6-Jun-08 Danny Syvret Edmonton Oilers Ryan Potulny
18-Jun-08 2008 7th rounder (Joacim Eriksson) & 2009 conditional pick Tampa Bay Lightning Vaclav Prospal
20-Jun-08 Colorado's 2008 1st Rounder (prev. acquired - Lucas Sbisa) + 2008 3rd Rounder (Marc-Andre Bourdon) Columbus Blue Jackets R.J. Umberger + 2008 4th Rounder (Drew Olson)
20-Jun-08 Steve Eminger & 2008 3rd Rounder (Jacob Deserres) Washington Capitals 2008 1st Rounder(John Carlson)
21-Jun-08 2009 7th Rounder Anahiem Mighty Ducks 2008 7th Rounder (Nick Pryor)
24-Jun-08 Janne Niskala Nashville Predators Triston Grant + 2009 7th rounder
30-Jun-08 Tim Ramholt Calgary Flames Kyle Greentree
30-Jun-08 2009 6th Rounder Tampa Bay Lightning Janne Niskala
1-Jul-08 Patrick Hersley + Ned Lukacevic Los Angeles Kings Denis Gauthier + 2010 2nd Rounder
13-Oct-08 Andrew Alberts Boston Bruins Ned Lukacevic + conditional 2009 fourth-round pick (Lane MacDermid)
30-Oct-08 Josh Gratton Nashville Predators Tim Ramholt
7-Nov-08 Matt Carle & San Jose Sharks’ 2009 3rd rounder (Simon Bertilsson) Tampa Bay Lightning Steve Eminger, Steve Downie and Tampa Bay’s 2009 4th rounder (previously acquired)
4-Mar-09 Daniel Carcillo Phoenix Coyotes Scottie Upshall & 2011 2nd Rounder
4-Mar-09 Kyle McLaren San Jose Sharks 2009 6th Rounder
6-Mar-09 2009 6th Rounder San Jose Sharks Kyle McLaren (failed physical - trade nullified)
26-Jun-09 Chris Pronger & Ryan Dingle Anaheim Mighty Ducks Joffrey Lupul. Lucas Sbias, 2009 1st rounder (John Moore) , 2010 1st rounder and 2010 or 2011 conditional 3rd rounder
20-Oct-09 Stefan Legein Columbus Blue Jackets Michael Ratchuk
6-Feb-10 Ville Leino Detroit Red Wings Ole-Kristian Tollefsen & 2011 5th Rounder
19-Jun-10 Dan Hamhuis + 2011 conditional draft pick Nashville Predators Ryan Parent
25-Jun-10 2011 3rd rounder Pittsburgh Penguins Dan Hamuis
26-Jun-10 2010 7th Rounder (Ricard Blidstrand) Carolina Hurricanes Jon Matsumoto
19-Jul-2010 Matt Walker + 2011 4th Rounder Tampa Bay Lightning Simon Gagne

Old
07-27-2010, 11:55 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Thanks..good breakdowns for comparison purposes. Some of those names brought back memories..most of them bad like Trent Klatt...LOL!

As far as this transaction....

20-Aug-01 Jan Hlavac, Kim Johnsson, Pavel Brendl & 2003 3rd Rounder (Stefan Ruzicka) New York Rangers Eric Lindros

If Clarke hadn't had his falling out with Lindros in public maybe we could have gotten more. He totally killed his leverage. Kim Johnsson was the only thing of worth and of course we let him walk because we were worried about his concussion..which was the only one he ever had. As we have seen he has been a very good contributer on the backend since.

Old
07-27-2010, 12:47 PM
haleks

You can't really compare Homer and Clarke as they were GM in different eras.

Today you are a lot more limited in moving/trading/signing because of the salary cap. Players are often traded base on salary for salary and less about skill for skill/potentiel. (Do you really think Homer would have traded Gagne if there were no salary cap? I doubt it.)

haleks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 01:07 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by haleks View Post
You can't really compare Homer and Clarke as they were GM in different eras.

Today you are a lot more limited in moving/trading/signing because of the salary cap. Players are often traded base on salary for salary and less about skill for skill/potentiel. (Do you really think Homer would have traded Gagne if there were no salary cap? I doubt it.)
Pretty much agree. Made a similar point in an earlier post in this thread. In fairness, Holmgren has it much more difficult but at the same time it shouldn't absolve him of his responsibilities in making reasonable transactions. Again arguing who is least worst between the two is pretty much a futile effort. There are apologists for both of them. I just find it sad that an organization such as the Flyers can't do in 36 years what some of these other smaller market less established franchises have done like Anaheim, Tampa, NJ, Carolina, and Colorado...(i.e. winning a cup). Pitt's cup victories annoy me as well but I mean when you stink so bad and get to draft Lemieux, Jagr and then Crosby, Malkin not to mention supporting all stars like Stevens (LA draft pick but traded rights to Pitt), Staal, Fleury etc..I guess it's easy to win a cup just by default alone.

Last edited by FreshPerspective: 07-27-2010 at 01:18 PM. Reason: sp
Old
07-27-2010, 01:24 PM
Jester

Quote:
Bobby Clarke history:
Sure he had some great years, the John Leclair trade. But If you look at his trade history, specifically the last 5 years, I can't find a trade we win. Nothing significant. I can find lots we lost: Justin Williams, Patrick Sharp, Michael Handzus, Todd Fedoruk, Roenick, etc.
Walls of text sans any context, analysis, whatever, are pretty much worthless... especially when you appear to be incapable of providing anything other than the wall of text.

Justin Williams: was traded for Markov (who was *ing great for us in our run to Game 7 of the ECF) after we suffered a slew of injuries and needed to get a defenseman.

Patrick Sharp: asked to *ing leave.

Michael Handzus: was a center on a team without a spot for a center on the depth chart (Forsberg, Richards, and Carter), and Calder was coming off back-to-back 20-goal campaigns for crappy Chicago teams and looked like a solid wing acquisition. It didn't work out. We also were not going to be able to retain Handzus past that season... and he blew his knee out promptly in Chicago.

Todd Fedoruk: Seriously? No, SERIOUSLY? A fourth-line fighting grunt was traded, by us, for a 2nd rd. pick. Clarke resigned on October 24th, 2006. Paul Holmgren re-acquired him for a 4th rd. pick.

Jeremy Roenick: A salary cap dump in which we ASKED Roenick where he wanted to go to accommodate the signing of Peter Forsberg. Incidentally, Roenick was terrible in LA and clearly over the hill at that point.

Quote:
Thanks..good breakdowns for comparison purposes. Some of those names brought back memories..most of them bad like Trent Klatt...LOL!

As far as this transaction....

If Clarke hadn't had his falling out with Lindros in public maybe we could have gotten more. He totally killed his leverage. Kim Johnsson was the only thing of worth and of course we let him walk because we were worried about his concussion..which was the only one he ever had. As we have seen he has been a very good contributer on the backend since.
Actually, we were incapable of signing Kim Johnsson due to the salary cap. He signed a 4 year / 4.85M per contract with Minnesota. That was at the same time that we were struggling to re-sign Simon Gagne (the priority), and dealing with the Keith Primeau and Mike Rathje LTIR situation.

We may have prioritized away from Kim Johnsson due to the concussion issue (incidentally, he just had this last season ended by a concussion and probably his career -- he also wasn't he same player after), but regardless of that there was no way KJ was signable.