HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT - Dave Pratt's anti-bike crusade.

Closed Thread

Old
07-27-2010, 05:59 PM
LeftCoast

vCash: 500
OT - Dave Pratt's anti-bike crusade.

Another afternoon radio segment consumed by Dave Pratt's anti-bike crusade again today.

Dave - no one cares. Shut up. Get over it.

Old
07-27-2010, 06:00 PM
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

I also strongly dislike the Mayor, I'll give him that.

Old
07-27-2010, 06:03 PM
Kickassguy

vCash: 1121
Send a message via ICQ to Kickassguy Send a message via MSN to Kickassguy
Again? Jesus Christ, fat boy needs to **** already and stick to discussing things he actually somewhat understands. Move his ass to CKNW if he wants to politick.

Old
07-27-2010, 06:04 PM
Balls Mahoney
wants more Sesito

Didn't care enough to create a thread about it on a the biggest hockey message board.

Dave Pratt: Successssss

Old
07-27-2010, 06:06 PM
King of Anarchy

...and yet he always b*tches about other people pushing their agendas.

Old
07-27-2010, 06:09 PM
Canucks5551

I turn the radio off when he starts with that. As someone living on the Island, I couldn't give less of a **** about the subject.

Old
07-27-2010, 06:11 PM
Proto

I'm not sure whether he even cares about it, or whether he just thinks the anti-bike crowd lines up well with the "annoyed and driving around Vancouver listening to the Team 1040" crowd. Dave Pratt is just a lightweight (metaphorically, of course) version of Jim Rome in that the things he says or purports to believe are actually concocted just to generate interest.

I'm not sure why anyone would pattern themselves after a vapid moron like Jim Rome, but the fact that he chose to says all that needs to be said.

Probably just read someone else's rant and is pretending it's his own

Old
07-27-2010, 06:11 PM
Wetroaster*

Pratt is a first-rate bozo.

Old
07-27-2010, 06:13 PM
KDizzle

Don't ever listen to Pratt, but just to chime in on the bike vs. car thing:

I bike everywhere here in Toronto (mostly because I'm too poor to afford a car) and I can see exactly why drivers hate cyclists.

Any idiot can hop on a bike and go on the road. It's infuriating to see people with headphones ignoring red lights and almost getting hit by a car then yelling at the car because... well because they're idiots.

I have a lot of pet peeves when it comes to other cyclists on the road. 3/4 of them I bet have never driven a car and don't know what it's like for drivers or lack the common road sense to be safely out there on the road.

That said, there are plenty of idiot motorists (especially growing up in Richmond) too... But nobody says "get cars off the road! they're a menace to society!".

I say purge the morons. They're pretty easy to identify...

Old
07-27-2010, 06:14 PM
DogFoodEnforcer

pratt's an idiot. but i agree with him (to a point...on certain points).

i severely dislike the mayor, and living downtown im getting REALLY fed up of cyclists. they seem to think they DO run the road in certain areas. it's great going around a roundabout, only to have some idiot scream right through the middle of it on his bike, without looking at the 2 circling cars. not even a glance back or apologetic raised hand.

when will cyclists be worth more than 5 points? they should be worth more points than fufu dogs.

Old
07-27-2010, 06:15 PM
Stefan It Up

I don't listen to Team in the afternoon anymore cause of Pratt's act. Just the mornings. Afternoons I end up on the Shore or the Peak.

Old
07-27-2010, 06:17 PM
LeftCoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Lou View Post
I also strongly dislike the Mayor, I'll give him that.
I have no love for Mayor Gregor, but who was the last broadly popular mayor? Larry Campbell? Philip Owens?

But Pratt's bike lane thing has risen to epic proportions. I mean this is the fat jerk who rain or shine, drives from his West End apartment to BC Place, Rogers (GM Place) Centre and Team 1040 studios on West 2nd (at Cambie Street Bridge).

Old
07-27-2010, 06:20 PM
CrackerJibbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDizzle View Post

I bike everywhere here in Toronto (mostly because I'm too poor to afford a car) and I can see exactly why drivers hate cyclists.

Any idiot can hop on a bike and go on the road. It's infuriating to see people with headphones ignoring red lights and almost getting hit by a car then yelling at the car because... well because they're idiots.

I have a lot of pet peeves when it comes to other cyclists on the road. 3/4 of them I bet have never driven a car and don't know what it's like for drivers or lack the common road sense to be safely out there on the road.

That said, there are plenty of idiot motorists (especially growing up in Richmond) too... But nobody says "get cars off the road! they're a menace to society!".

I agree. I live in Victoria and I both drive and ride my bike, and (some) other cyclists absolutely infuriate me. They give the rest of us an incredibly bad rap. The arrogance and utter stupidity of some of them is just astounding. If you're going to bike on the roads, learn the ****ing rules and follow them, otherwise you're just asking for trouble.

However, that being said, I do recognize the need for bike lanes and while I drive as my primary means of transportation, I do think they're necessary, especially from a safety perspective.

Oh, and Pratt is an idiot. His focus on non-sports related subjects (be it politics, the atrocious "good rocking..." segment, or whatever) has totally turned me off of the afternoon show. I used to be a regular listener, but now I can't stand it a good portion of the time.

Old
07-27-2010, 06:27 PM
Alan Jackson

I can't listen to the afternoon show anymore. It's horrible. Whenever I do happen to tune in, if Pratt's not going on about bike lanes, he's talking about Mel Gibson or Tiger Woods or some other godforsaken thing he's discovered on TMZ.

It's a sports station, David, and nobody cares about your opinions as they relate to politics or entertainment. Taylor's no better - he's letting Pratt drag him down to his level. A few weeks ago, Taylor was on with Barry MacDonald, and I couldn't believe how much better he was.

Old
07-27-2010, 06:32 PM
In Gillis We Trust

I do not get why David Pratt is on the air on the most prestigious sports station in the province. He doesn't have a clue whatsoever about hockey - the sport most discussed there. His opinions are often just plain wrong. And the way he says "alright" when he doesn't quite agree with someone he's having a discussion with, it's condesending and rude and I feel like giving him a good punch in the mouth every time I hear it.

Team 1040 - I know you read these boards. You'll often report something seconds after someone has here. Please, get Pratt off the radio. Put someone on who knows his sports, doesn't talk about Toronto all the time and denies that he does, and talks SPORTS, not City of Vancouver politics.

Old
07-27-2010, 06:32 PM
xtr3m

We might lose Luongo and he decides to talk about bicycles?!

Old
07-27-2010, 06:33 PM
LeftCoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Jackson View Post
I can't listen to the afternoon show anymore. It's horrible. Whenever I do happen to tune in, if Pratt's not going on about bike lanes, he's talking about Mel Gibson or Tiger Woods or some other godforsaken thing he's discovered on TMZ.

It's a sports station, David, and nobody cares about your opinions as they relate to politics or entertainment. Taylor's no better - he's letting Pratt drag him down to his level. A few weeks ago, Taylor was on with Barry MacDonald, and I couldn't believe how much better he was.
It's truly unfortunate that Taylor has allowed himself to be linked to this creapy old fart.

Old
07-27-2010, 06:40 PM
colonel_korn
Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?

I was out cycling this weekend and was able to go from Mount Pleasant out to SFU, back over the Second Narrows, around the North Shore, over Lions Gate and out to UBC while staying on designated bike routes and roads maybe 90% of the time. It was awesome. Vancouver's bike infrastructure is great and is really something we should take pride in, not be trashing on the radio.

That said, there are a lot of cyclists out there who do need to be more cautious. Even if I have right of way I'll still usually slow down coming into an intersection... it's small comfort to me that I was in the right if I get creamed by someone in their SUV.

edit: as an aside -- anyone else doing this in September? That's why I was out riding all Sunday, I'm trying to get ready for it.

http://www.rbcgranfondowhistler.com/

Old
07-27-2010, 06:42 PM
RewBicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDizzle View Post

However, just to be clear: the bike problem in downtown Toronto is about 100x worse than it is in Vancouver.

Old
07-27-2010, 06:45 PM
Timmer44

I wonder if this Anti-Gregor agenda has come from someone higher than just radio personalities. It seems like quite a lot of the local media, which for the most part is connected through ownership, is on an 'firethemayor' binge. A puppeteer with a bone to pick?

I couldn't care less though, dangle the treehugger from his bike spandex for all I care. I just want to hear more Brule contract analysis... Is it training camp yet?

Old
07-27-2010, 06:47 PM
LeftCoast

Next hour - he's picked up the gauntlet again.

Old
07-27-2010, 06:55 PM
LostMyGlasses*

Fat person dislikes exercise ? Thread worthy?

More bike lanes please! Downtown is not a race way for the homeboys to show off their g-rides.

Old
07-27-2010, 06:56 PM
hackey
You're Not Bored...

If it was mid November...

Hockey starting
CFL winding down
Baseball World Series starting...

Do you think Pratt would be talking about the bloody bike lanes then?
NO!

He's just filling dead air space in the dead of summer people, nothing else.

He can only beat to death how much he "loves Mike Gillis" and how pathetic the Lions are.... for so long.
There really is not much else happening.

Old
07-27-2010, 07:02 PM
King of Anarchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackey View Post
If it was mid November...

Hockey starting
CFL winding down
Baseball World Series starting...

Do you think Pratt would be talking about the bloody bike lanes then?
NO!

He's just filling dead air space in the dead of summer people, nothing else.

He can only beat to death how much he "loves Mike Gillis" and how pathetic the Lions are.... for so long.
There really is not much else happening.
He was also talking about it a lot in June when the Stanley Cup Finals, NHL Awards, NHL Draft and NBA Finals were going on.

Old
07-27-2010, 07:06 PM
Hollywood Burrows

I ride my bike errrwhere in this city. It's much faster than using a car, less frustrating, cheaper, etc. More people need to do it, and the city planners should be legislating to get people out of their cars and onto bikes. I think the mayor is a bourgeois pig, but this is one area where he's done a decent job.

Obviously Pratt is an idiot. Don Taylor is also not as good as he once was. I feel like Vampire Pratt is sucking his will to live. Listening to these guys do their pop culture segments is just painful. There's also a weird misogynistic undertone to a lot of stuff they talk about, especially from Pratt. He's definitely a bitter old man. Who wants to listen to a guy like that? It just brings me down.

Actually, everyone on the TEAM sucks. Their Canuck talk is just not interesting, it's just too casual. Solution: don't listen.

Closed Thread