HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2010/11 Calgary Flames - Not as bad as everyone thinks?

Old
07-31-2010, 03:24 AM
flames123

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgeRocks! View Post
If everything goes right, yes we'll be fine. Tanguay returns to past form, and Jokinen cashes in instead of hitting all those posts like we said. Now d is not the problem. We have a very solid top 6 compared to most, which top to to bottom, is very coparable to anyone in the league. Hopefully kipper can keep it up, but offence is where we need it. On paper, we are much the same as last season. Gonna have Tanguay, but lose guys like Dawes and Kotalik. Backlund has lots of potential to shine, but it would be unwise to expect a huge performance out of him. Sure everyone plays to their top end potential up front and we'll be aces. unfortunately, i can see Jokinen much the same as last year, and we'll be desiring to have him out by christmas. I can see us making playoffs due to some teams getting weaker that were above us in the standings, but much more would be asking a little much i think. Fingers crossed though
I think that many teams this coming year have a team that you can look at and say, "thats a playoff team." Obviously other teams have some holes and are not as good as us. I feel that we have improved greatly from last season but I still think that we'll be grinding it out in 6-8th place up until the last game of the season. There are just too many good teams in this CAP era and with only 1 RFA (cheap contract) we are not a Chicago or SJ with names like Kane, Toews, Keith or Setoguchi and Pavelski. I think we will have a very good team. With our division I really don't feel there is a lot of A-list teams like CHI, WAS or SJS. Vancouver is a team we can easily compete with for the divison. But the Avs could improve as well. Fortunately the Wild are in that 9-12 spot in the West every year so they wont be getting any better.

flames123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 12:58 AM
Pomeranian

Kotalik. I read on this board and on the main board when Flame fans post, that he is gone. Thats not what I read on Flames.com. I am a Flames fan and last I checked he is with the team next season.

Pomeranian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 12:59 AM
Noori

vCash: 1673
Kotalik will be at camp and may very well be on the starting roster. He could also be in Abbotsford or in Europe.

Noori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 01:28 AM
GoFlames

If Kotalik cleared waivers is there some clause that says if cleared he has to clear again if he is still on the roster / payroll in the summer at the beginning of camp?

GoFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 10:43 AM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFlames View Post
If Kotalik cleared waivers is there some clause that says if cleared he has to clear again if he is still on the roster / payroll in the summer at the beginning of camp?
you have to clear within 30 days or 10 games to be eligible t o be sent down without clearing again

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 03:15 PM
flames123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomeranian View Post
Kotalik. I read on this board and on the main board when Flame fans post, that he is gone. Thats not what I read on Flames.com. I am a Flames fan and last I checked he is with the team next season.
Thats means nothing. The Flames website is run by the organization them selves. They can't just come out and say that Kotalik is not coming back and that they do not want him. They have to stay courteous towards the player. He is still under contract, hence he is a Calgary Flame.

Old
08-02-2010, 10:19 PM
GoFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
you have to clear within 30 days or 10 games to be eligible t o be sent down without clearing again
OK makes sense. I doubt he would not clear again with that cap hit number. Maybe I am putting rose coloured glasses lol

Old
08-06-2010, 02:43 PM
keslehr*

The team isn't that bad all together. However it depends on way too many things to be a quality contender:

- Iginla, Jokinen, Tanguay, Bouwmeester bouncing back
- Kiprusoff staying at at least the same level
- Few to no major injuries
- Hoping to god the 4th line can be somewhat average

I was among the ones predicting Calgary to finish in the 13-15 range, but now I've adjusted my thinking to anywhere from 7th to 11th. Although it's not like I wouldn't mind you guys finishing last

But yeah, this team isn't too terrible.

keslehr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2010, 04:06 PM
Flames 1st pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by keslehr View Post
The team isn't that bad all together. However it depends on way too many things to be a quality contender:

- Iginla, Jokinen, Tanguay, Bouwmeester bouncing back
- Kiprusoff staying at at least the same level
- Few to no major injuries
- Hoping to god the 4th line can be somewhat average

I was among the ones predicting Calgary to finish in the 13-15 range, but now I've adjusted my thinking to anywhere from 7th to 11th. Although it's not like I wouldn't mind you guys finishing last

But yeah, this team isn't too terrible.
The west is pretty much up in the air...
On top, there were really only two dominant teams but Chicago lost a lot of players and SJ lost Nabokov.
There are a lot of teams in the middle and anything can happen to teams like Pheonix, Aves, Kings and even Nashville. The Nucks cant be too scary as long as the sister is leading them.

Only real bottom team I see are Columbus and may be the Oilers if they cant get their act together.

Flames 1st pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2010, 04:26 PM
maverick9

the players have to be held accountable as well all this band wagon jumping on the fire sutter movement has grown tired. most of these casual fans can go back to what they were doing in the late 90's which was not cheering for the team because they weren't in the playoffs. trust me not getting past the first pisses me off but come on fire sutter. be a little more creative and by that i don't mean an ecklund type trade "iggy for a 1st and rebuild" iggy flame for life and we will challenge for the division this year.

maverick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2010, 04:33 PM
maverick9

a tired euphoria that has made the playoffs all but last season since 03 04. maybe if you watched a little more hockey then pretending you were hanging with wario you could see that the defense is fine. they have one of the best goalies in the league. the offense struggled yes. full seasons on staj and hagman should help with some goals and the addition of tanguay gives a set of hands that was desperately needed. joker i don't think can be worse so maybe a couple more there and with the team have a full season of the system under their belt yes i believe this team can challenge for the div. van has a good team but are the likes of burrows and kesler going to keep up their paces from last year? im not saying they are going to fall of the map but a dip would be possible. so instead of your typical one line "oh your wrong im right" try and come up with something better

maverick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2010, 06:06 PM
Body Checker

Iginla, Tanguay, Bourque, Hagman, Stajan, Jokinen, Langkow, Kotalik, Backlund, Glencross, Moss.

Have the Flames, since the lockout, had as much depth up front as above?

Yes Kotalik and Langkow are question marks but if Sutter can drop one of Staois or Sarich w/o salary back then maybe all 11 of the above forwards are on the team.

If so we won't be talking about a lack of offence this season. We will be talking about whether it'll be first round and out again.

P.S. I expect all the "experts" in their pre season predictions to pick the Flames to miss the playoffs but will qualify it by saying "but if they can find some offence..."

Body Checker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2010, 06:27 PM
flames123

I will say it again, this team had huge POTENTIAL. If everyones plays to their ability and certain players return to form, we will have a very good shot at taking the division from Vancouver.

Even if only half of the player are playing up to standards I still think we can get in 6-8th.

Old
08-06-2010, 07:12 PM
CgyFlamesftw

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames123 View Post
I will say it again, this team had huge POTENTIAL. If everyones plays to their ability and certain players return to form, we will have a very good shot at taking the division from Vancouver.

Even if only half of the player are playing up to standards I still think we can get in 6-8th.
Exactly, last year almost everyone underperformed, and majority of the canucks overperformed. Yet they only beat us by 13 points?? You would think that our worlds going in opposite directions, last years division champs would be ahead 20+ points....

CgyFlamesftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2010, 07:18 PM
flames123

Quote:
Originally Posted by CgyFlamesftw View Post
Exactly, last year almost everyone underperformed, and majority of the canucks overperformed. Yet they only beat us by 13 points?? You would think that our worlds going in opposite directions, last years division champs would be ahead 20+ points....
good point.

Old
08-06-2010, 07:44 PM
abracanada

There were a number of mistakes and poor performances last year. This version of the Flames is so much deeper than any I remember since the glory days. There is a lot to be excited about and the rest of the league will find this out soon enough.

abracanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2010, 08:31 PM
Flames 1st pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames123 View Post

Really?

Flames 1st pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2010, 09:06 PM
saillias

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick9 View Post
a tired euphoria that has made the playoffs all but last season since 03 04. maybe if you watched a little more hockey then pretending you were hanging with wario you could see that the defense is fine. they have one of the best goalies in the league. the offense struggled yes. full seasons on staj and hagman should help with some goals and the addition of tanguay gives a set of hands that was desperately needed. joker i don't think can be worse so maybe a couple more there and with the team have a full season of the system under their belt yes i believe this team can challenge for the div. van has a good team but are the likes of burrows and kesler going to keep up their paces from last year? im not saying they are going to fall of the map but a dip would be possible. so instead of your typical one line "oh your wrong im right" try and come up with something better
I'm not sure if this is entirely addressed at me because you don't use the quote button, but for the most part it looks like it is. Do you realize how many words and ideas you put in my mouth with this post?

The only things I've said in this topic so far are that the fans of other teams think Sutter is off his rocker, and that "In Sutter we trust" is ridiculous.

saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2010, 09:36 PM
flames123

I can't wait for the season to start. I wanna watch that top line rip it up.

Tanguay is only 30, Jokinen 31 and Iggy 33 but a body of a 28 yr old.

Three guys is the end of their primes (but still in them) with huge potential.

It was not that long ago that Jokinen had 90 pts and only 1 season ago that Tanguay was at a PPG for 4 strait years. And besides last year Iggy had a PPG for half a decade?

Old
08-08-2010, 09:47 PM
Wyrm

Quote:
Originally Posted by CgyFlamesftw View Post
Didn't the Canucks also take the division the year before that? Have they overperformed for 2 straight years? Or is it rather the Flames underperforming? And if it's the Flames, when was the last time they performed well enough to take the division? Something in your post doesn't add up.

Wyrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 10:11 PM
flames123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyrm View Post
Didn't the Canucks also take the division the year before that? Have they overperformed for 2 straight years? Or is it rather the Flames underperforming? And if it's the Flames, when was the last time they performed well enough to take the division? Something in your post doesn't add up.
The year before the Nucks had defense and a good goalie (). Last year their defence consisted of 5 #3 D's. This year their offence had a breakout year that was a complete anomaly. So yeh, they overachieved greatly and we underachieved greatly and their was only a 12 pt difference in the standings.

And judging by your lack of an avatar you probably troll a lot.

Old
08-08-2010, 10:26 PM
GoFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Body Checker View Post
Iginla, Tanguay, Bourque, Hagman, Stajan, Jokinen, Langkow, Kotalik, Backlund, Glencross, Moss.

Have the Flames, since the lockout, had as much depth up front as above?
Yes Kotalik and Langkow are question marks but if Sutter can drop one of Staois or Sarich w/o salary back then maybe all 11 of the above forwards are on the team.

If so we won't be talking about a lack of offence this season. We will be talking about whether it'll be first round and out again.

P.S. I expect all the "experts" in their pre season predictions to pick the Flames to miss the playoffs but will qualify it by saying "but if they can find some offence..."
I agree... notwithstanding of course is Langkow might play but not staeting in October by the sounds of it... Kotalik well that is another story. I think Sutter can leverage our D depth to further bolster the forwardn corps to have a decent top line and two second lines which is pretty decent. I feel most pundits will have the Flames ranked low. Better than last year when one mag predicted the Flames to win the cup and we all know how that turned out.

Old
08-08-2010, 10:30 PM
GoFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by saillias View Post
I'm not sure if this is entirely addressed at me because you don't use the quote button, but for the most part it looks like it is. Do you realize how many words and ideas you put in my mouth with this post?

The only things I've said in this topic so far are that the fans of other teams think Sutter is off his rocker, and that "In Sutter we trust" is ridiculous.
Yup, blind lemming thinking (dare I call it thinking) is not thinking unless being brain washed is considered being intuitive.

Old
08-09-2010, 12:04 PM
The Gnome

I'm a flames fan, but I'm not delusional. If we are going to take the division from VAN then someone better two hand both Sedins over the ankle and knock them out for 4 months.

I hate them more than any other team but the Nucks with the potential to improve defensivly will be at the top of the conference. They have so many good young players, and the Sedins are more dangerous than any combo in the league.

The flames will make the playoffs, but not compete for the division. I'm looking at a 6th or 7th place finish. Maybe the 2nd round.

The Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 03:43 PM
flames123

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gnome View Post
I'm a flames fan, but I'm not delusional. If we are going to take the division from VAN then someone better two hand both Sedins over the ankle and knock them out for 4 months.

I hate them more than any other team but the Nucks with the potential to improve defensivly will be at the top of the conference. They have so many good young players, and the Sedins are more dangerous than any combo in the league.

The flames will make the playoffs, but not compete for the division. I'm looking at a 6th or 7th place finish. Maybe the 2nd round.
Vancouver won a lot of games by putting up big offensive come backs. I don't think those will be a common as they were last year, but then again; their defence is a lot better so they may not get into that situation. Luongo needs a bounce back year or they'll need to start worrying about 11 years at 6M.