HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Cunneyworth getting ready

Old
07-28-2010, 06:09 AM
crystal ball

vCash: 500
Cunneyworth getting ready

Found this in the Hamilton Spectator. Cunneyworth says he's studying video of the 'Dogs from last year to prepare for the season. In answer to a question about his coaching philosophy, he says he thinks an AHL coach has to teach the parent club's strategies. I don't know that I want the kids to be learning the Martin system right from the get-go, but that's what Cunneyworth believes.

http://www.thespec.com/Sports/article/815435

crystal ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 06:49 AM
Lars The GOAT Eller
WildGranlund

Send a message via Skype™ to Lars The GOAT Eller
I don`t mind, all you need is speed and a brain to play Martins system. It might take some of our players some time to get used Martins style so it couldn`t hurt. At least it shows hes dedicated.

Lars The GOAT Eller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 07:08 AM
Belso

most of these guys already know how to play hockey.. Might as well make the transition from Hamilton to Montreal as seamless as possible... Of course he will work on their over weaknesses, but still in the mindset that when they get called up, they don't have to think as hard and learn a new system, they can just execute... I like it.. No problems with that...

Belso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 07:29 AM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystal ball View Post
Found this in the Hamilton Spectator. Cunneyworth says he's studying video of the 'Dogs from last year to prepare for the season. In answer to a question about his coaching philosophy, he says he thinks an AHL coach has to teach the parent club's strategies. I don't know that I want the kids to be learning the Martin system right from the get-go, but that's what Cunneyworth believes.

Will he learn from Boucher's way to how handle players psychologically ?

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 07:49 AM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
I think you can throw that out the door, I'm pretty sure it was a Boucher thing only.

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 08:54 AM
Crusher20

Send a message via AIM to Crusher20 Send a message via Yahoo to Crusher20
Quote:
I think thats pretty much unique ! For now at least..

Crusher20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 09:03 AM
saints96

Quote:
not everyone has a masters in psychology

saints96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 09:18 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystal ball View Post

actually, that's the best thing to do (teaching same thing as NHL team), most teams do it... perfect example of this is NJ Devils, their kids never look like they're lost on the ice or anything... they already know the system.

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 09:27 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by saints96 View Post
not everyone has a masters in psychology
lol I've met people who don't who are arguably better though. It's a natural talent as much as it is one you go to school for to perfect.

Either you have it or you don't.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 09:37 AM
saints96

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
lol I've met people who don't who are arguably better though. It's a natural talent as much as it is one you go to school for to perfect.

Either you have it or you don't.
For sure for some people it comes natural, but im sure by having a masters in psychology he as more knowledge than the average person on the human psyche. You can't tell me that someone without ever studying psychology would be more helpful and would analyze someone better than let's say someone who has a masters.

saints96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 09:48 AM
Galchenyum
AGally+BGally

Who?

Galchenyum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 12:36 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

That's not what Cunneyworth believes. That's what the Habs believes Cunneyworth should believe.

You seriously think that a career coach solely wants to replicate what a NHL team system?

Yes, make your players aware of what the NHL coach is looking forward if you want to graduate, but with the numbers of coaches you'll probably see even if you're not traded, chances are you'd go from one system to another.

Might as well make sure that your AHL team knows how to win nevertheless the system. Make sure your players improve their individual skills. Make sure that the the "overall" pattern of an organization is followed, as in speed and skills or grit and toughness etc....Overall just make sure you become NHL material 'cause when the time is needed, chances are even if there are some new things to learn, you'll be the one called.

But the system? Well it is typical of what this organization has become GOOD OR BAD. 2-headed monster, with Gauthier in charge of everything, not permitting their staff to talk whatsoever, and Martin grooming the organization hockeywise at his image. It can pay off. We'll see. Depending if you like Martin and Gauthier's image....

Personnally, I'd wish that communication would be in order. From the AHL coach and NHL coach towards their players. From the GM and staff towards the public. We have neither. Let's hope it all translate into wins. Pretty sure it better be 'cause if some journalists thought that the team under Gillett and Co looked unfriendly, can't imagine what they think now. Not that it does matter a whole lot just that if some people in this board thought that the "mediots" were so crazy, imagine if this team doesn't perform......

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 12:55 PM
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
That's not what Cunneyworth believes. That's what the Habs believes Cunneyworth should believe.

You seriously think that a career coach solely wants to replicate what a NHL team system?
This what Cunneyworth did in his Rochester days WS. the Americans had the same system than Lindy Ruff had with the Sabres.

Every smart organisation should be doing this. everytime the Sabres call up someone he was ready to contribute at the NHL level and didnt had to learn a new system.

but again, Boucher had a different approach than Martin and the kids the habs call up all contribute. maybe thats why Boucher was not your ordinary good young coach...

JeromeHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 12:56 PM
No Team Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Pretty sure it better be 'cause if some journalists thought that the team under Gillett and Co looked unfriendly, can't imagine what they think now.
the idea that the journalists feel slighted so they write bad articles is pathetic to me. i guess i remember a day when if a journalist wasn't getting a story handed to him, he was fine with working for it.

No Team Needed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 04:55 PM
ruski17

Chuck Weber to Rochester

http://theahl.com/weber-named-head-c...hester-p143423

Chuck Weber, the guy who most people thought would take over as head coach for Hamilton is now the new head coach for the Rochester Americans. Now let the Cunneyworth vs Weber threads start!

ruski17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 05:10 PM
InglewoodJack

vCash: 1340
Good for Weber! Honestly, he's the Halak of coaches. Underdog who dominated beer leagues, the IHL, ECHL, and now he's got a potent roster with Rochester. One day, he will be in the NHL, and that day is soon.

InglewoodJack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 05:13 PM
didjuicythat
@m_desroches

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruski17 View Post
http://theahl.com/weber-named-head-c...hester-p143423

Chuck Weber, the guy who most people thought would take over as head coach for Hamilton is now the new head coach for the Rochester Americans. Now let the Cunneyworth vs Weber threads start!
This is one slow off-season, ain't it?

didjuicythat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 05:19 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodJack View Post
Good for Weber! Honestly, he's the Halak of coaches. Underdog who dominated beer leagues, the IHL, ECHL, and now he's got a potent roster with Rochester. One day, he will be in the NHL, and that day is soon.
He's not that much of an underdog. He's very young, got an impressive pro record and has a few degrees. Easily one of the better candidates for an AHL coaching job. Now that he's in the AHL he can enter discussion for NHL jobs more easily. A lot of good NHL coaches took the same path as Weber:

Quote:
Former ECHL coaches working as head coaches in the NHL are Bruce Boudreau of the Washington Capitals and Scott Gordon of the New York Islanders while former ECHL player Dan Bylsma is the head coach of the Pittsburgh Penguins. Boudreau, who coached Mississippi for three seasons winning the Kelly Cup championship in 1999, was named NHL Coach of the Year in 2007-08 becoming the first former ECHL coach to receive the award. Peter Laviolette, who began his coaching career with the Wheeling Nailers, led Carolina Hurricanes to the Stanley Cup in 2006.
http://www.echl.com/cgi-bin/mpublic...._news&id=12179

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 05:22 PM
InglewoodJack

vCash: 1340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
He's not that much of an underdog. He's very young, got an impressive pro record and has a few degrees. Easily one of the better candidates for an AHL coaching job. Now that he's in the AHL he can enter discussion for NHL jobs more easily. A lot of good NHL coaches took the same path as Weber:

http://www.echl.com/cgi-bin/mpublic...._news&id=12179
Maybe not underdog, but I find interesting comparisons in the way that both had to work their way up from the lowest point, and dominate each level while other coaches are blessed with being former players who simply walk into a head coaching job (comparison Price?) regardless of their resume.

* Not saying one is better than the other, and this isn't a goalie debate either. Just like the comparisons.

InglewoodJack is online now   Reply With Quote