HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bob Ackles Memorial B.C. Lions Thread #5

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-26-2010, 03:10 PM
  #1
colonel_korn
Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?
 
colonel_korn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: St John's, NL
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,362
vCash: 500
Bob Ackles Memorial B.C. Lions Thread #5

Previous thread: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=703898

This week features the 1-3 Lions vs the only team more woeful this season, the 0-4 Edmonton Eskimos, Friday night at 6pm Pacific time. Casey Printers will not be starting as he is still hampered by a knee injury. Dante Marsh and Solomon Elimimian are also likely to be out due to injury, Elimimian being especially unfortunate as he had quite a good game against the Argos. Hopefully Travis Lulay is able to get over the poor throws he made at the tail end of last Friday's game and build on the strong first half he had.

In other news: Lions release Robert Jordan and add QB Mike Reilly to the practice roster

colonel_korn is offline  
Old
07-26-2010, 03:12 PM
  #2
CCF23
Registered User
 
CCF23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Richmond, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,628
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to CCF23
Yay! We suck!

CCF23 is offline  
Old
07-26-2010, 03:16 PM
  #3
BAuldie
Registered User
 
BAuldie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Nanaimo, B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,879
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to BAuldie Send a message via MSN to BAuldie
oh ****.. season isn't over yet?

BAuldie is offline  
Old
07-26-2010, 04:02 PM
  #4
zepps
Registered User
 
zepps's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,659
vCash: 500
This year has really made me appreciate what we had earlier in the decade.

On another note, I was at the Riders-Stamps game. Great weather, amazing atmosphere and exciting football. Love this league so much.

zepps is offline  
Old
07-26-2010, 11:23 PM
  #5
Free Torts
Registered User
 
Free Torts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,970
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Free Torts
Not surprising Jordan was cut. He couldn't pass the first wave of tacklers to save his life.

Free Torts is online now  
Old
07-26-2010, 11:32 PM
  #6
yapperface
Bieksallent
 
yapperface's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,031
vCash: 500
I didn't know the Lions game was on and I only saw the last 8 minutes...

...sigh...

yapperface is offline  
Old
07-28-2010, 10:30 AM
  #7
KDizzle
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Toronto
Country: Japan
Posts: 8,142
vCash: 500
http://tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=328759

Printers out for year?

yipee...

Oh well, there's always next year

KDizzle is offline  
Old
07-28-2010, 10:41 AM
  #8
Free Torts
Registered User
 
Free Torts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,970
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Free Torts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDizzle View Post
http://tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=328759

Printers out for year?

yipee...

Oh well, there's always next year
Geez, he was playing on that knee? Lucky he didn't make it worse.

Free Torts is online now  
Old
07-28-2010, 11:59 AM
  #9
God Bless Canada
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Bentley reunion
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,790
vCash: 500
So much for my "We'll get 12 games out of Casey this year" prediction.

It's not the death blow for the season. Keep in mind, we went 8-10 last year without Casey, and I think he was 0-3 as the starter. (Two close losses, and a blowout loss to Edmonton in a game that he left early due to injury).

If Travis Lulay can step in and play well at QB, or if Jarius Jackson can rediscover his form from the second half of 2007, we should be okay. We won't win the division, but we should be able to get those eight or nine wins, make the playoffs as the No. 3 seed, or qualify through the cross-over, and hope to reach a division final. It's the same pattern as last year, but honestly, it's about as good as we could have hoped for this year even with Casey.

At the same time, I wouldn't be surprised if this team finishes 5-13, and misses the playoffs for the first time since 1996.

We really have been spoiled the last few years. Wally Buono (and when he was still around, Bobby Ackles) really brought stability to this organization. A lot of fans will be too young to remember the "feast-or-famine" Lions of the 1990s. We didn't get a home playoff game from 1988 through 1998 (excluding the 1994 Grey Cup), and I think 1994 was the only year we reached the division final from 1989 to 1998. The last six seasons has been our best run since the 80s, when we were a powerhouse, and should have won more than one Grey Cup. We've been to six straight division finals, and we hosted the West Division final for four straight years. Attendance has been up, and interest for the Lions hasn't been this high since the mid-80s. There's a good chance that a lot of that could end this year.

God Bless Canada is offline  
Old
07-28-2010, 12:13 PM
  #10
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van
 
Lucbourdon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 39,960
vCash: 500
well that explains why he looked so terrible, he could not even step into a pass

Lucbourdon is offline  
Old
07-28-2010, 12:21 PM
  #11
BAuldie
Registered User
 
BAuldie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Nanaimo, B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,879
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to BAuldie Send a message via MSN to BAuldie
Quote:
Originally Posted by God Bless Canada View Post
So much for my "We'll get 12 games out of Casey this year" prediction.

It's not the death blow for the season. Keep in mind, we went 8-10 last year without Casey, and I think he was 0-3 as the starter. (Two close losses, and a blowout loss to Edmonton in a game that he left early due to injury).

If Travis Lulay can step in and play well at QB, or if Jarius Jackson can rediscover his form from the second half of 2007, we should be okay. We won't win the division, but we should be able to get those eight or nine wins, make the playoffs as the No. 3 seed, or qualify through the cross-over, and hope to reach a division final. It's the same pattern as last year, but honestly, it's about as good as we could have hoped for this year even with Casey.

At the same time, I wouldn't be surprised if this team finishes 5-13, and misses the playoffs for the first time since 1996.

We really have been spoiled the last few years. Wally Buono (and when he was still around, Bobby Ackles) really brought stability to this organization. A lot of fans will be too young to remember the "feast-or-famine" Lions of the 1990s. We didn't get a home playoff game from 1988 through 1998 (excluding the 1994 Grey Cup), and I think 1994 was the only year we reached the division final from 1989 to 1998. The last six seasons has been our best run since the 80s, when we were a powerhouse, and should have won more than one Grey Cup. We've been to six straight division finals, and we hosted the West Division final for four straight years. Attendance has been up, and interest for the Lions hasn't been this high since the mid-80s. There's a good chance that a lot of that could end this year.
I really don't see interest dropping too much. If the team is going to struggle, this is probably the perfect time to do it with the aura and nostalgia of playing at Empire lingering for this season and however long next year. Then, once the reno's are done, people will be buying tickets just to see what the new BC Place is like once they move back.

They've essentially got a 2-3 year grace period attendance wise.

Funny thing though.. 5-13 may get us in the playoffs.. hah

BAuldie is offline  
Old
07-28-2010, 12:51 PM
  #12
Wetcoaster
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Out There
Posts: 54,910
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDizzle View Post
http://tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=328759

Printers out for year?

yipee...

Oh well, there's always next year
Does the story not say that is baseless speculation at this point in time and Printers is slated to dress on Friday as the Number 3 QB??

And then there is this story from the Vancouver Sun:
Quote:
B.C. Lions medical trainer Bill Reichelt says that the knee injury to Casey Printers might not require surgery and the quarterback could accompany the team to Edmonton for Friday's game against the Eskimos.

"We weren't sure if we were going to scope him [arthroscopic surgery], but it has settled down and Casey was running around in practice yesterday [Tuesday]," Reichelt said. "Surgery is not being considered at this point."
http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Lio...#ixzz0v06jETyV

Wetcoaster is offline  
Old
07-28-2010, 12:57 PM
  #13
colonel_korn
Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?
 
colonel_korn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: St John's, NL
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,362
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
Does the story not say that is baseless speculation at this point in time and Printers is slated to dress on Friday as the Number 3 QB??

And then there is this story from the Vancouver Sun:
http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Lio...#ixzz0v06jETyV
TSN switched the story, the original link said he was probably done for the season. Maybe they jumped the gun.

e: I think it was based on this report from The Province, which has also been changed. But you can tell from the URL and the photo caption that they initially reported it as potentially season-ending: http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Pr...310/story.html

Quote:
Casey Printers could be out for the season, as his knee injury is more serious than initially thought.
ah, the wonders of digital media...

colonel_korn is offline  
Old
07-28-2010, 12:58 PM
  #14
Wetcoaster
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Out There
Posts: 54,910
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel_korn View Post
TSN switched the story, the original link said he was probably done for the season. Maybe they jumped the gun.
Sounds like, I would say.

Wetcoaster is offline  
Old
07-28-2010, 01:41 PM
  #15
zepps
Registered User
 
zepps's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,659
vCash: 500
****. It's Lulay's time to shine until he gets hurt.

zepps is offline  
Old
07-29-2010, 01:31 AM
  #16
God Bless Canada
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Bentley reunion
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,790
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zepps View Post
****. It's Lulay's time to shine until he gets hurt.
Lulay looked good in the first half against Toronto. And then he looked like a back-up in the second half, once the Argos were able to get a read on him, and make the necessary adjustments. Not sold on Lulay. Not sold on Jackson, either, for obvious reasons. But I think we're going to have to rely on JJ at some point this season.

God Bless Canada is offline  
Old
07-29-2010, 01:36 AM
  #17
God Bless Canada
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Bentley reunion
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,790
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAuldie View Post
I really don't see interest dropping too much. If the team is going to struggle, this is probably the perfect time to do it with the aura and nostalgia of playing at Empire lingering for this season and however long next year. Then, once the reno's are done, people will be buying tickets just to see what the new BC Place is like once they move back.

They've essentially got a 2-3 year grace period attendance wise.

Funny thing though.. 5-13 may get us in the playoffs.. hah
If the Lions go 5-13, then the unthinkable might happen: a team from the East could make the playoffs through the cross-over.

I agree that this team has some grace right now. I think they'll sell out the season at new Empire, or come close to it. I've long maintained to belligerent Rider fan (and there are a few out here, although most are pretty reasonable and knowledgeable) that B.C. people love their CFL football; it's just that we can find a million other things to do on a Friday or Saturday night in the most beautiful city in the world than go indoors at a crappy stadium to watch a football game.

It also helps that the Lions are hosting next year's Grey Cup. I don't think we'll ever see another 1990 Grey Cup again.

And the Lions win the Grey Cup every six years, so we should be contenders again in 2012. (And if that pattern holds, what a perfect time to win another championship. The 100th Grey Cup).

God Bless Canada is offline  
Old
07-30-2010, 01:30 PM
  #18
hackey
You're Not Bored...
 
hackey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: You're Boring
Posts: 2,839
vCash: 500
Travis Lulay's new nickname... "The IT Dude"
He's in when the Printers don't work

Losing really does have this sucky feeling

hackey is offline  
Old
07-30-2010, 03:50 PM
  #19
Proto
Registered User
 
Proto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 9,466
vCash: 500
With the Lions O-Line I'm sure they'll go through 4 or 5 QBs this year.

Proto is offline  
Old
07-30-2010, 08:18 PM
  #20
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van
 
Lucbourdon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 39,960
vCash: 500
they look terrible again so far, the play calling is amazing.

need 8 yards, so he calls a 5 yard play, NICE!

Lucbourdon is offline  
Old
07-30-2010, 08:20 PM
  #21
Wall of Wonder
Registered User
 
Wall of Wonder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Burnaby, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 418
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Wall of Wonder
The offense of the lions is non-existent.

Wall of Wonder is offline  
Old
07-30-2010, 08:35 PM
  #22
JBIZ14
Registered User
 
JBIZ14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Lethbridge
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,345
vCash: 500
What an awful game.

JBIZ14 is offline  
Old
07-30-2010, 08:43 PM
  #23
Edler Von Gud
Registered User
 
Edler Von Gud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Victoria
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,084
vCash: 1308
Send a message via MSN to Edler Von Gud
a piece of lego could block better than this O-line

Edler Von Gud is offline  
Old
07-30-2010, 09:09 PM
  #24
Lard_Lad
Registered User
 
Lard_Lad's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Kelowna
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,678
vCash: 500
Rather than watch the second half, I think I'll go do something more exciting. Anybody have some paint I can come watch dry?

Lard_Lad is offline  
Old
07-30-2010, 09:16 PM
  #25
zepps
Registered User
 
zepps's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,659
vCash: 500
I'm not gonna lie, I look forward to Luuu'ing Travis Lulay. I don't care if it's stupid.

zepps is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:47 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.