HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#1 Spot In 2011 Entry Draft

Old
07-26-2010, 08:40 AM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

vCash: 500
#1 Spot In 2011 Entry Draft

So since it does seem painfully obvious this is the trophy we're playing for...who are the possibilities that will make this year worth it for us?
Is there anyone coming around this year to create the stir that this year's lot has?

We need goal scoring and big people, who's around?

CHGoalie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 08:43 AM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

...please try and make some of us feel better.

CHGoalie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 09:13 AM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Right now, the 2011 draft seems to be pretty top heavy. The top two ranked guys are Larsson and Couturier. Couturier is the best Forward prospect from the Q in a considerable amount of time. Big big body with alot of Offensive talent. Led the league in scoring at 17 (though it must be stated, the Q is much weaker than the other two CHL leagues IMO). Comparisons to Lecavalier exist, though how apt they are remains to be seen.

Larsson is a Swedish Defenceman who appears to be better than Hedman at the same age. He put 17 pts up in the SEL as a 16/17 yr old rookie - equalling the First year rookie scoring record for any positions in the SEL. He has good size, great skater, Great positionally with alot of offensive creativity. In a historical age context, Larsson is the best Swedish D prospect ever and ranks favourably with the very best 16-18 prospects Sweden has ever produced - Forsberg, Naslund, Sedin's etc. I've read certain reports suggesting Larsson was NHL ready this year - two years before his actual draft. He's the best 16/17 yr old Dman of the last decade easily. He's better than Doughty, Hedman, EJ, JJ, Pietrangelo were at the same age. Though whether he has as much room to grow as some of the guys listed above is debatable.

You do have potential challengers to these players. Nugent-Hopkins, Ambroz, Puempel, Saad, Musil, Murphy and Rask are just some of the players who may pose a threat. Its interesting that ISS has Rask ranked #3 - i'd certainly keep an eye on him.

Its difficult to truely ascertain who the risers could be at this point - because there look to be so many possible risers. This class has been slammed before due to the 93's apparently being pretty weak for the OHL and the WHL - to an extent its correct, but i prefer the top ten of next year to this year.

J17 Vs Proclamation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 10:33 AM
Mogo
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

GHgoalie has taken my spot as Mr.Negative

Mogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 10:50 AM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
I'm positive as hell. Positive that we suck ass this year!

Rattrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 11:08 AM
VAiN*
Infractions are bad.

I'm of the opinion that you're nuts if you think we'll get a higher pick than #3.

VAiN* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 11:32 AM
Gudbranson44

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAiN View Post
I'm of the opinion that you're nuts if you think we'll get a higher pick than #3.
if number 3 next year can get us one of larsson, coutier, rask, hopkins etc, id be fine with that

Gudbranson44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 12:55 PM
Rattrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAiN View Post
Who the heck in the NHL is worse than us?

Old
07-26-2010, 01:29 PM
PalmStickSun

Send a message via AIM to PalmStickSun
The Leafs. They are better at "Finding A Way" than we ever were.

PalmStickSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 01:35 PM
Acadmus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattrick View Post
Any team that tries - look at Edmonton this year.

The Leafs were actually neck and neck with the Panthers. I think they'll be slightly improved next season, so it'll be a tight race for #2 again.

Who hits bottom? Dunno. Maybe Edmonton again.

07-26-2010, 01:54 PM
Rattrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadmus View Post
Any team that tries - look at Edmonton this year.

The Leafs were actually neck and neck with the Panthers. I think they'll be slightly improved next season, so it'll be a tight race for #2 again.

Who hits bottom? Dunno. Maybe Edmonton again.
I'm not so sure. We lost our best offensive player in Horton and I think we have much to get rid of at the deadline. Edmonton I'll give you, Toronto I think is trying and will improve some whereas I think we are worse than last season where we drafted at #3.

Edmonton also had a ridiculous amount of injuries last year.

Old
07-26-2010, 02:58 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Quote:
I'm not so sure. We lost our best offensive player in Horton and I think we have much to get rid of at the deadline. Edmonton I'll give you, Toronto I think is trying and will improve some whereas I think we are worse than last season where we drafted at #3.

Edmonton also had a ridiculous amount of injuries last year.
I think Grabner, Higgins, and Bernier will more than surpass what Horton's output was last season. I think we got more balanced with the moves Tallon made. I still think we will end up with a top five pick, and it should be a top three if we are out of it by the deadline, and we get rid of guys like Vokoun, Reinprecht, Cabs, etc.

pb1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 03:07 PM
Rattrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post
I think Grabner, Higgins, and Bernier will more than surpass what Horton's output was last season. I think we got more balanced with the moves Tallon made. I still think we will end up with a top five pick, and it should be a top three if we are out of it by the deadline, and we get rid of guys like Vokoun, Reinprecht, Cabs, etc.
Three guys replacing one doesn't work out like you seem to think. That's like saying replacing Bure's 60 goals with Reino, Stillman, Dvorak and Olesz will be fine. Having a potent offensive threat is something this team will miss. Grabner is the only one of those guys who will likely be an offensive threat.

Can they pass Horton's offensive output? Sure they can. Is it a good thing to have to rely on three players to outscore one? Nope. Especially when we are talking Nathan Horton and 20g/37a -- not Pavel Bure here.

Let's not forget that the defense that made up the majority of last season will be missing Seidenberg and Leopold.

Old
07-26-2010, 03:13 PM
Boooooth10

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmStickSun View Post
The Leafs. They are better at "Finding A Way" than we ever were.
I don't think they want to give Boston ANOTHER top 2 pick though.

Boooooth10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 03:15 PM
Mogo
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

We might lost best offensive player but in the same boat we lost a floater non team player. I'm staying positive this off season. I like the moves Tallon has made. We need a base first before we add more pieces to the puzzle. There are too many holes to fill and there for they must be filled within not thrue free agency and trading is dead in NHL

Maybe?? Matthias, Olesz, Frolik, Kulikov take there game to the next level? Maybe Grabner pans out? Booth returns? Wideman bounces back. I mean look at what Phoenix did. They were ranked dead last. They had people break out. I have high hopes for Matthias this season. I saw potential last year that he could become that #2 center for us next season.

Mogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 04:31 PM
KittysGotClaws
We See Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogo View Post
We might lost best offensive player but in the same boat we lost a floater non team player. I'm staying positive this off season. I like the moves Tallon has made. We need a base first before we add more pieces to the puzzle. There are too many holes to fill and there for they must be filled within not thrue free agency and trading is dead in NHL

Maybe?? Matthias, Olesz, Frolik, Kulikov take there game to the next level? Maybe Grabner pans out? Booth returns? Wideman bounces back. I mean look at what Phoenix did. They were ranked dead last. They had people break out. I have high hopes for Matthias this season. I saw potential last year that he could become that #2 center for us next season.
I'm actually in agreement here. It makes me borderline nauseous that I have season tickets for this season and everybody is already planning who to take first overall. Granted, it'd be ludicrous to EXPECT us to do well this coming season, but after seeing Colorado and Phoenix last year (and that's in the much, much tougher Western Conference), I hope people will at least cheer for us until we've proven we've got no chance at the playoffs, rather than starting off rooting for the tank from game one.

KittysGotClaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 04:49 PM
Rattrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogo View Post

Heard all of that too many times... And Horton didn't float last year, he skated his ass of nearly every night after about 10 games in.

Old
07-26-2010, 05:50 PM
RCGP
Go Panthers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imber View Post
I'm actually in agreement here. It makes me borderline nauseous that I have season tickets for this season and everybody is already planning who to take first overall. Granted, it'd be ludicrous to EXPECT us to do well this coming season, but after seeing Colorado and Phoenix last year (and that's in the much, much tougher Western Conference), I hope people will at least cheer for us until we've proven we've got no chance at the playoffs, rather than starting off rooting for the tank from game one.
Phoenix, like LA, has been ready to breakout for a few seasons IMO. It was just a question of when.

Colorado was a big suprise, and in theory it COULD happen, but its unlikely. Colorado basically had a lot of their rookies/young guys break out all at once, had their best player in Stastny come back from injury and filled a huge hole with Anderson. The Panthers equivalent would have guys like Guds, Howden, Mcfarland making the team, while Grabner/Repik having breakout seasons, while Booth comes back better than ever from his injury. Sure it could happen, just unlikely. Colorado also wasn't as far removed from being a playoff team.

RCGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 07:29 PM
Dread Clawz
fmrly MarkstromRules

Quote:
That's what I'd like to know. Only Edmonton, Columbus, and the Isles will be competing with us IMO. Although Edmonton will likely have Hall, MPS, and Eberle all coming in this season, and maybe Omark too. Added to Gagner, Penner, Hemsky, Brule, Cogliano, they will at least be able to score goals, even if they give up a lot. Columbus only because of the division they play in. They are just simply the weakest team in a powerhouse division and thus they will lose a lot of points there. But straight up team vs. team, they are much better than us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCGP View Post
Phoenix, like LA, has been ready to breakout for a few seasons IMO. It was just a question of when.

Colorado was a big suprise, and in theory it COULD happen, but its unlikely. Colorado basically had a lot of their rookies/young guys break out all at once, had their best player in Stastny come back from injury and filled a huge hole with Anderson. The Panthers equivalent would have guys like Guds, Howden, Mcfarland making the team, while Grabner/Repik having breakout seasons, while Booth comes back better than ever from his injury. Sure it could happen, just unlikely. Colorado also wasn't as far removed from being a playoff team.
Agreed. Phoenix had several young players break out, plus a lot of people don't realize they actually have had a good defense for years. Jovo-Michalek as the top pair is better than anything we've had for several years with the exception of 08-09. Then you had Yandle, Aucoin, Vandermeer, and a young Lepisto who had a good year. And they added Morris at the deadline. Then you had Bryz in net. The only area where we are equivalent to what they were last season is in goal. Overall they were much stronger than we are.

Colorado's talent is severely underrated. Look at what they had down the middle, Stastny, Duchene, O'Reilly. That blows our center depth away. Then mostly great young talent on the wings in Stewart, Galiardi, Mueller, Yip, and add in guys like Hejduk and Svatos. That is much much better than what we have at forward. Plus a solid defense, and Anderson had a breakout year. Our defense blows, there's no point in sugarcoating it. We are nothing like either of these teams. We have a date with destiny with a top 3 pick, there's no denying it.

Dread Clawz is offline   Reply With Quote