HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

These playoffs...

Closed Thread

Old
05-24-2004, 11:18 AM
Fletch

vCash: 500
These playoffs...

just wondering what people are thinking about these playoffs. To me, it's been interesting because of how it's turned out: Tampa vs. Calgary - not sure I could have scripted it better. But, I have felt that while there's been a good amount of competitiveness in these games, there has been a void of the dominant teams we've seen in the past, past Devils, Detroit and Colorado teams. From the get-go, it seemed as though almost any team had a chance because there was a flaw in most every team. Don't get me wrong, I've enjoyed these playoffs, and in fact I enjoy the parity, but I just wanted to make the observation.

Old
05-24-2004, 11:25 AM
Rangers_23
Beuke!

Send a message via AIM to Rangers_23 Send a message via MSN to Rangers_23
I think they have been very good. I haven't been able to catch every game, but almost every game I have seen has been exciting. I'm very happy about the teams that made the finals because for once the normal powerhouses aren't there. Overall I think this year's playoffs have been up there with some of the best I've witnessed.

Old
05-24-2004, 11:41 AM
True Blue

Didn't make a difference (at least to me) wether or not it's the powerhouses that were playing or the lesser known teams. The play has been great. VERY physical and players more than willing to pay the price. Great to watch. It IS hard at times to keep you interest going, knowing that every game brings us close to the utter stupidity that is going to be wrought by the upcoming labor war.

Old
05-24-2004, 11:44 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

I've enjoyed watching teams like TB, SJ, Calgary - all teams with relatively young lineups, stars of the future. The old guard disappointed this year, teams like Toronto, Detroit, Colorado, NJ - all the teams I figured would be tough to beat, knowing the impending strike could mean no playoffs next year, and that some guys are getting ready to retire.

I thought if any year this year would be a winner full of experience. But it ended up being the opposite. It looked like the older players were welcoming the time off after years of playing deep into the fall.

BTW, I don't like the idea of rooting for a team from Florida, but i have to go for Tampa. Andreychuk has been a great NHL'er, and every year in the 80's there was talk of him becoming a Ranger. We always were missing that one big guy on the PP to stick in front of the net...oh wait, we still need that guy

And it'd be great to see a guy like Tortorella win it after leaving this organization.

Last edited by Bluenote13: 05-24-2004 at 12:05 PM.
Old
05-24-2004, 12:31 PM
Firefly

Send a message via AIM to Firefly Send a message via Skype™ to Firefly
i was plain sick and tired of watching the devils, wings, avs dominate. so these finals are a GREAT surprise for me, i love it.

Old
05-24-2004, 12:36 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu3shirt
i was plain sick and tired of watching the devils, wings, avs dominate. so these finals are a GREAT surprise for me, i love it.
No doubt, can't stand dynasty teams....especially cause it's never the Rangers

Old
05-24-2004, 01:49 PM
ArtVandelay

I think it's been great. Two aggressive teams going after it all should make for a fun series.

Calgary: Aggressive hitting
Tampa: Aggressive scoring

Furthermore, there's no lack of star-quality players this time and their not just stars because they can defend well as in previous years (like any time the Devils won).

Jarome Iginla. Martin St Louis. Vincent LeCavalier. It's just nice to see a finals with some star players who value scoring as much as, if not more than, defending.

Old
05-25-2004, 05:14 PM
NYR Khabby Fan

LETS GO

Old
05-25-2004, 05:31 PM
Fletch

I'm not sure...

you can't say this doesn't apply to most winners the last few seasons 'It's just nice to see a finals with some star players who value scoring as much as, if not more than, defending'. Guys on Jersey, Detroit, Colorado and Dallas played both ends of the ice, and they played hard, and they hit hard, and skated hard. Guys like Stevens, Holik, Guerin, Modano, Hatcher, Yzerman, Shanny, Cheli, Lidstrom, Hasek, Roy, etc., were guys who played pretty hard in the playoffs and deserved to win the Cup. I don't think Calgary or Tampa would stand a chance against any of those teams at the time they won their Cup(s). That's really what I was getting at. I'm ecstatic that the usuals are not in it this season. I'm ecstatic that they're lower budget team that works hard. But the teams, and the competition this season, just wasn't as good, in my opinion, as many previous seasons. While I agree that the several series have been exciting, I think it was because there was more parity among the teams. You didn't have a team well-oiled from the back of the nets to the front, and up and down the lineup.

Old
05-25-2004, 10:03 PM
ArtVandelay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
Guys like Stevens, Holik, Guerin, Modano, Hatcher, Yzerman, Shanny, Cheli, Lidstrom, Hasek, Roy, etc., were guys who played pretty hard in the playoffs and deserved to win the Cup.
Most of those guys were defense-minded players when they won - only Yzerman, Modano, Guerin, Shanny, and Lidstrom were truly offensive contributors (take "offensive" any way you like). And, at the time they won, I think only Modano and maybe Guerin could compare to the current Iginla and St. Louis. Lidstrom's great, but never struck me as being nearly as "electric" as other offensive players.

Old
05-26-2004, 10:27 AM
Fletch

Yzerman, etc....

were offensive in that they provided the points, but they all played both ends. They all played physical. They all played their hearts out. Everybody's so excited about these lunch pail teams, but those guys worked every bit as hard (and might as well add Forsberg and Sakic to the list).

Old
05-26-2004, 12:25 PM
Laches

I've loved these playoffs, and I've been surprised to see so little discussion of them on this board. In past years, there's been all kinds of whining and complaining about how boring the playoffs are because of the defensive styles employed by the likes of Detroit, Dallas, New Jersey, etc. Well, this year we've got the talented, offense-first Bolts against the gritty, gutty, old-time hockey, hit everything in sight Flames, and there's barely a peep.

As far as the parity issue, I buy it to a point. No, there aren't half-a-dozen plus future hall of famers on either team, but to say things like "I don't think Calgary or Tampa would stand a chance against any of those teams at the time they won their Cup" is going too far. Those teams all suffered early-round upsets at the hands of lesser teams over the last decade. Every single one of them. No, the Flames or Bolts couldn't match those teams on paper, but neither did the '92-3 Islanders against the '92-3 Penguins.

Old
05-26-2004, 01:08 PM
Slewfoot

I am glad to watch the Finals without a trapping team involved!

Closed Thread