HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pothier signs to play in Switzerland

Old
07-27-2010, 09:38 AM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

vCash: 500
Pothier signs to play in Switzerland

WTF... We really couldn't sign him to a small contract? If Harrison took his spot on this team, I will be fuming... Of course I'll never know, but that just makes no sense...

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 10:00 AM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

Apparently no teams at all had much of an interest in him yet it's a tragedy the Canes didn't re-sign him for some reason.

Pothier played pretty well for us last year in his very brief stint but he has problems with concussions and staying healthy for a full season. Had we re-signed him to a multi year deal and he sat in the press box injured for half the contract, you would be the first guy to call for JRs head. As of right now, Harrison IS the #7 making league minimum. There's no guarantee Pothier would have signed for cheap, for all we know that could be why he is heading to Switzerland because no one would meet his demands. He wasn't ever going to make or break our defense even before we re-signed Carson and Babchuk.

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 10:24 AM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

disagree with you... He's not playing in Switzerland for much money, and yes, I do blame JR for not signing him... Also you have no idea if Harrison is our #7, JR and Mo seem to have a love affair for the guy... If he's in Switzerland, not sure it would have taken much more than a mil to sign him... But, I'm just guessing and I can't stand Harrison and I'm not a fan of the Corvo signing... So I guess this just topped my cake off... LOL

Old
07-27-2010, 10:32 AM
Boom Boom Anton

Interesting, seems that no NHL GM wanted him very badly or maybe his initial asking price/term was too high so GMs went elsewhere. I still say that his age/injury history is a big factor. If I was GM, I would be very leary of signing him to a contract. He's 33 years old (which isn't old for a DMAN) but has only played > 70 games TWICE in his whole career. I like how he performed in his short stint with the Canes, but don't blame JR for not wanting to risk it from an injury standpoint.

Boom Boom Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 10:39 AM
Chrispy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncpuckhog View Post
Interesting, seems that no NHL GM wanted him very badly or maybe his initial asking price/term was too high so GMs went elsewhere. I still say that his age/injury history is a big factor. If I was GM, I would be very leary of signing him to a contract. He's 33 years old (which isn't old for a DMAN) but has only played > 70 games TWICE in his whole career. I like how he performed in his short stint with the Canes, but don't blame JR for not wanting to risk it from an injury standpoint.
I am certain the injury history is hurting him. He is the same age as Corvo, but before this season with the freak skate blade injury, Corvo had played 81, 74, 76, 81, and 72 games.

Pothier did well coming out of the lockout, but 38 games in 07-08 and 9 games in 08-09 are warning signs. Add in that his healthy season was 61 games and Corvo's injured season was 52 games.

Corvo has worked well with Gleason the past few years. Reuniting that pair and feeling confident they can play a lot of minutes makes sense to me.

Chrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 10:47 AM
geehaad

Don't most of these European contracts come with a "if I find an NHL team that wants me" get-out clause for the player?

geehaad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 10:48 AM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Linky: http://www.gshc.ch/News/News_detail.php?id_infos=4987

2 year deal.

Felonious Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 10:50 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
I would have liked Pothier to return, especially if we could have gotten him for a bottom pairing role and paired him with Carson. However, it is what it is. We've re-signed Corvo which for me personally, I like. Babchuk is back, and that could be a good thing if we use him properly. He could be an asset. Hopefully he comes back to the NHL a tad more polished and we can work with him on rounding out his game. Perhaps our relationship can be smoothed out and who knows, things may work out for the organization & Babchuk beyond this season and in the future and he could prove to be more of an asset to the organization both this season and beyond in comparison to Pothier at 33 years of age and his being prone to injury. If that is the case I don't mind the risk of going with Babchuk over Pothier based on where the team is headed. Babchuk is younger and carries untapped potential. If I had to pick between Corvo & Pothier, i'd personally pick Corvo as I believe he's more versatile for us and more useful both today and for the duration of his 2-year contract. I think he brings more to the table. If I am looking at Carson compared to Pothier, at this stage of the game i'd rather Carson. Again, untapped potential, he looks promising for a bottom pairing defenceman who can play spot duty in the top 4, he's young, he's one of our own and he can likely play for us for a handful of years, unlike Pothier. At this stage of the game and again, with the direction of the team, Carson is the wise choice. McBain has earned the green light to start the season with the big squad, we'll see what he does with it. For all I know today if I am choosing between McBain or Potheir, i'm going with McBain. He may prove to need more seasoning in the AHL, but we'll cross that bridge when we potentially get there. Until then, he's got a spot on the 7-man unit. Harrison or Pothier, i'd prefer Pothier but the price is likely different as Harrison is at the bottom of the league in salary. Would I take Harrison's toughness and grit over what Pothier brings to the table? No, I personally wouldn't even though aside from Gleason our defence is butterfly soft. However, with the way our defence is constructed, the direction of the team - youth movement, lower end payroll, etc.. I can see why JR has done what he has done with the defence at this current time.

So, at this point in the game, all factors included (where the team is headed, payroll, etc.) I think choosing Pothier over any defenceman other than Harrison would be the wrong choice unless Pothier would have come back around league minimum and in our price range, which I doubt, but you never know. It is what it is and i've pretty well come to terms with it.

EDIT: I will say though, my ideal top 6 would be (if we weren't going through the transition to youth) Pitkanen - McBain / Gleason - Corvo / Pothier - Carson. However, based on where the team is going direction wise, Pothier's age and injury riddles, I am ok with Babchuk over Pothier as I'd like to see what he can do. Ideally, If we could have a 7 man unit consisting of Pitkanen, McBain, Gleason, Corvo, Pothier, Carson & Babchuk that would be great, but today for the organization, I don't think is possible.

Last edited by Guerzy: 07-27-2010 at 11:05 AM.
Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 11:11 AM
AMOK14

Great post Guerzy.

We've all seen what happens when JR signs a "veteran" all around good person that wants to play/stay with us. Anyone remember the Aaron Ward experience from last year?

We all knew that Babs was coming back even before July 1st and with the trade we made with the Rangers on draft day...the writing was already on the wall for Pothier.

I too at this point much prefer Corvo and Carson.

AMOK14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 11:53 AM
totalkev

I feel essentially the same way about Pothier as I did about Whitney. If we're going to develop our prospects this year, then develop our prospects. All a lower-tier veteran is going to do is take up a spot and minutes from a younger guy who may be around when we're competing for high seeds again.

The fact that nobody else wanted the guy is reassuring, too. I feel bad for him -- mostly because I think the injury thing is overblown. He had one concussion that led to the same eye issues Matt Cullen had, and eventually, to the same recovery as Matt Cullen had. I think he may actually be a "young" 32. But like I said, we don't need him. He was good, but there are a lot of guys like him.

Good luck to him. Maybe he'll have a solid season over there and earn another shot in the NHL next season (yes, I know it's a two-year deal).

totalkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 11:53 AM
geehaad

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMOK14 View Post
Great post Guerzy.
I strongly disagree.

It needs more carriage returns.

Old
07-27-2010, 11:59 AM
caniac247

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane_SVT View Post
WTF... We really couldn't sign him to a small contract? If Harrison took his spot on this team, I will be fuming... Of course I'll never know, but that just makes no sense...
I'd much rather have Pothier over Harrison, but I doubt he would have taken a 1 year deal for league minimum. If he would have, i'm sure there is atleast one team out there that could use him.

caniac247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 12:09 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by geehaad View Post
I strongly disagree.

It needs more carriage returns.
Meh, this place isn't english class nor is it where I come for a lesson on how to use a keyboard. Could be worse, I could have not used caps or periods.

Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 12:15 PM
bleedgreen

he was our best dman, to suggest we couldnt use him seems ludicrous. babs over pothier? how much more would pothier have costed? we never even tried. tough to see, he couldve absolutrly helped us, and wouldnt have cost much or signed for very long. i agree he woudve been pricey for the 6th spot, but he is far better than the 6th spot on this squad.

bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 12:24 PM
StormCast

To assume whatever Pothier signed for is what he might have signed for here at the time he was a consideration, is ignoring the fact that circumstances changed over time. Perhaps similar to the Seidenberg situation where the complaint was that he didn't sign for all that much why didn't we sign him for that? When your options dwindle so does your asking price.

Regarding the Pothier vs. Harrison argument, that isn't even relevant. Some time ago it was made clear the team wanted another physical D to help Gleason with the dirty work. It was also specifically stated that it would be Babchuk or Pothier. The window opened back up just slightly when Carson didn't come to terms but it's doubtful the Canes would have offered Pothier more than one year and he was certainly looking for more than $500k/year then either.

StormCast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 03:24 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

TSN's James Mirtle tweeted about a half hour ago confirming that Pothier did sign in Suisse, but that he also has an NHL out-clause until Aug 15.

http://twitter.com/mirtle/status/19681753376

Felonious Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 03:28 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

I don't really think Pothier was our best d-man, even if he was it was only for 1/4 of the season. Sure, we could have used him but at what cost? When signing him to an extension you absolutely have to take into concern his injury and concussion history especially if it's a long term deal. The Canes and several other teams passed so take that for what its worth.

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 09:30 PM
Wolfpuck
5/5 Compete Level

It is what it is, but for what it's worth, he really impressed me in his brief stint with the Canes. Obviously, injuries are a big concern (not just for him, but for the entire team in recent memory), so I really hope our defense can hold together next season.

Wolfpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 02:14 PM
Jerry Lundegaard
Sutter for Captain

We don't need Pothier, or another veteran alike. Leave the bottom open to see what one of the kids can do. this is the season to do so..

Jerry Lundegaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 02:21 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Weathers View Post
We don't need Pothier, or another veteran alike. Leave the bottom open to see what one of the kids can do. this is the season to do so..
This is exactly why the Corvo signing sucks... Should have been Pothier to play in the top 4... Keep the bottom pair open and have a defensively responsible D man... Instead we have a bunch of guys that would rather get points than play D....

Old
08-01-2010, 03:43 PM
bleedgreen

i mind the babs move a little more. i think he is the one that clogs it up. regardless, i wouldve taken pothier over either of them, though im not really against joe being back. a little indifferent.

babs is not a top 4 for me. hopefully he proves me wrong, or just ends up in the bottom pair and gets bumped by mcbain early on. regardless, much like last year - our defense is weak, not physical, and not nearly fast enough to make for it. we're kinda mobile, and if everyone is playing well we have some guys who will put up pts. that doesnt mean victory though. even our "defensive" guys, gleason/harrison/carson arent that great in their own end.

i think overall we will be much better to start than the team that started this year. we will be generally quick, fast up front. young guys tend to be a lot more aggressive, which will be nice. we have a lot of addition by subtraction. i think at this point we get anywhere from the 8th-16th pick. if we get a bunch of injuries, we have 1-5 potential.

bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 05:06 PM
Jerry Lundegaard
Sutter for Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane_SVT View Post
This is exactly why the Corvo signing sucks... Should have been Pothier to play in the top 4... Keep the bottom pair open and have a defensively responsible D man... Instead we have a bunch of guys that would rather get points than play D....

Good point.

I think Babchuk gets traded at the deadline, tbh

Jerry Lundegaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 07:57 PM
MD
#woofwoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Weathers View Post
Good point.

I think Babchuk gets traded at the deadline, tbh
out of curiosity, what kind of return do you expect babchuck to get?

MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 08:17 PM
geehaad

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricanes1210 View Post
what kind of return do you expect babchuck to get?
Anything's possible...so much depends on his play in the upcoming season.

Old
08-02-2010, 10:00 AM
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov

vCash: 1505
I'm kind of glad we didn't sign him, we seem to be bitten by the injury bug every year and Pothier wouldn't help that. Like someone said earlier, if we'd signed him, when he only played half the games due to injury we'd be the first to get on JR.

However, these comparisons of "who you'd rather have" between Corvo and Pothier speak volumes as to how Pothier played in his 20 games with us. Based on both players' entire body of work, I don't feel that these comparisons are justified, as I think that Corvo is a FAR better option than Pothier. However, Pothier's play in those 20 games (granted, they were some of the best of his career) must have been pretty impressive, considering we gave up Corvo for Pothier, Osala, AND a 2nd rounder.

Out of that trade, in the long run, we got Osala and that 2nd rounder for free, and that 2nd rounder turned into either Sangs or Alt (I forget). It was a good deal at the deadline, but if given the choice between Corvo and Pothier, I don't even think it's a question that I'd take Corvo...

Anton Dubinchuk is offline   Reply With Quote