HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pothier signs to play in Switzerland

Old
08-02-2010, 11:15 AM
Sens1Canes2

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane_SVT View Post
This is exactly why the Corvo signing sucks... Should have been Pothier to play in the top 4... Keep the bottom pair open and have a defensively responsible D man... Instead we have a bunch of guys that would rather get points than play D....
I think Corvo's play for the Canes last year indicated he can be at least passable on the defensive end. Hell, he was PK'ing for a lot of the year and doing just fine.

Sens1Canes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 11:20 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens1Canes2 View Post
I think Corvo's play for the Canes last year indicated he can be at least passable on the defensive end. Hell, he was PK'ing for a lot of the year and doing just fine.
Yeah don't get me wrong he's no rock in his own zone. But in his only full year here that he's been healthy for he was pretty decent defensively. Definitely not the turnover machine that he was advertised as being. I'll say it again, this defense is damn similar to that 08-09 one, whether that's good or bad remains to be seen but it's certainly better then what we had last season.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 12:04 PM
caniac247

Quote:
Agreed. Sure Corvo is no defensive stud, but he and Gleason did very well as a shutdown pair. It was always him and Gleason going out against the teams top players, and they did pretty well.

caniac247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 12:25 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
If i'm picking between Corvo & Pothier, I myself would rather Corvo. In my opinion Corvo is average in the defensive zone and on a lot of nights, a tad above average. There are a lot of games where he doesn't hurt us, more then when he may have a blooper and hurt the team, which realistically speaking is every now and again. I personally think that says a lot about him when you look at the minutes he plays, which for us is generally between 23-30 minutes per game. I like Corvo myself. He's got quick feet, mobile, great shot, decent in the defensive zone and he has a high level of quickness to his game that I just like and personally think we need on the back-end. Even Pitkanen doesn't bring Corvo's jump and enthusiasm for the offensive game and getting things started. It hurts him sometimes, but he is what he is and if you use him correctly he can be a solid asset. Pitkanen has his fair share of brain farts as does the next guy on any other team unless you're in the mold of Lidstrom, Pronger, Keith, etc. Other than that, you've gotta expect mistakes out of guys and Corvo is in that group in my opinion. Perhaps he made a solid amount of mistakes 3-4 years ago, but I believe the situation in Carolina is good for him and he's also made some steps up as a defenceman in the defensive zone in comparison to where he once was.

With Pothier, while steady in his own zone he doesn't bring anywhere near the offensive game that Corvo does in my opinion. I know he's had a good season or two in the past, but I don't see many similarities in the offensive end of things when comparing Corvo and Pothier. He may have had a good 20 games defensively for us, but thats not abnormal for some guys once they hit a new team. See Samsonov's arrival in '08 and Corvo's aswell. Pothier very well could have kept that up at a solid pace, who knows, but, I'm not a fan of choosing Pothier over Corvo only to get potentially 40 games out of Pothier and begin complaining about JR's piss poor signings. With the way this team is constructed, we cannot afford injuries to ANY of our veterans or leaders. An injury to Gleason, Pitkanen or even Corvo could be disastrous for this team. An injury to Staal, Jokinen, Sutter, Ruutu, etc.. could be disastrous. We just can't afford it. Of course we're not competing to be the best this year with what we're going through as a team, but you always want to try and be the best you can, and I think this team can be a 7-8 playoff team, or be on the cusp anyway. I may be fairly alone in that mindset, but I really believe it.

In the end, I would have liked Pothier, but not really over any one of Pitkanen, Gleason, Corvo, Carson, Babchuk (iffy.. at the end of the day he could turn out to be more of an asset, and while we're going through this transition we mise well see what we've got in him). Harrison, if the dollars and cents worked out, most certainly. Pothier in a way just simply made no sense based on where this team is headed. He'd basically be a patch job for the next year or two when everyone else (minus Harrison) could possibly be here for when the team is ready to contend in a couple years. I know Pothier and Corvo are the same age, but I think even at 35 Corvo will be more valuable so long as he still has his legs and shot. I don't know where Pothier will be, 35 is getting up there for a guy who's been through what Pothier has.

I'll also say, as well as Pothier did play, and I think he did play well, I think his play more so than less stood out because we were so damn used to piss poor defence the entire season that once we got a guy who had a decent grasp of what he was doing, it was easy to fall in love with the guy. I don't want to sit here and say that's the case and exactly how it was, but I think it may have played a small role, if anything. Pothier is good, but if he was that good I honestly don't believe he'd be playing in Switzerland for the 2010-2011 season.

Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 03:02 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

So basically you want Corvo because of his offensive abilities... Fair, if we didn't already have McBain, Joni, and Babchuk...

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 03:28 PM
Jerry Lundegaard
Sutter for Captain

Quote:
So basically you want Corvo because of his offensive abilities... Fair, if we didn't already have McBain, Joni, and Babchuk...

But its not like he's a left wing that got sent back to D. he is still an NHL Defenseman...If he can play the position good enough, stay healthy, and put the puck in the net, then the signing in ok by me.

Jerry Lundegaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 04:35 PM
Sens1Canes2

Quote:
Don't you think it speaks volumes that no other team signed Pothier?

Old
08-03-2010, 09:33 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
No. Perhaps I wasn't clear enough in talking about Corvo and his defensive game. I just don't think Corvo is all that bad in the defensive end of things and for the other things he does, I think he is a better fit than Pothier. If we were to re-sign Pothier and not bother with Corvo, we'd be looking at - Pitkanen, Gleason, Pothier, McBain, Babchuk, Carson & Harrison. If Pitkanen goes down to injury, do we want to put all our eggs offensively in the hands of a rookie (McBain) & Babchuk (In all honesty, we can't be certain what we've got in him. He's got a shot, but he is not a puck mover). After that we'd have defensive guys in Gleason, Pothier, Carson & Harrison, which is pretty good. I just think we may be in a bit of trouble there, where atleast having Corvo, he can be verastile and effective enough for us that we can rely on his both defensively & offensively. Myself, I thought Corvo & Gleason did a pretty good job defensively together.

I just don't believe Joe is as bad defensively as he is perhaps made out to be by some. I'm not saying he's great, but I think for this organization, for what we pay him, how we use him (though I think we give him too many minutes on many nights), etc.. I think he does a pretty good job. I think he's taken some solid steps forward defensively in comparison to where he was 3-4 years ago. He's pretty versatile for us and he helps us more than he hurts us. He makes his mistakes now and again, as most defenceman do, but they aren't so regularly that he's a liability defensively. As I said before, I think he is a tad above average on a lot of nights and average on many, but good enough to get by and not hurt us regularly. Sort of the same as Seidenberg was. Not perfect, but good enough to be solid and get by on most nights. I think it says something that he can play 23-30 minutes per night and come out of it in pretty good shape. I just think Corvo brings more to the table than Pothier, even with how the defence is constructed.

Last edited by Guerzy: 08-03-2010 at 12:37 PM.
Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 05:24 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
No. Perhaps I wasn't clear enough in talking about Corvo and his defensive game. I just don't think Corvo is all that bad in the defensive end of things and for the other things he does, I think he is a better fit than Pothier. If we were to re-sign Pothier and not bother with Corvo, we'd be looking at - Pitkanen, Gleason, Pothier, McBain, Babchuk, Carson & Harrison. If Pitkanen goes down to injury, do we want to put all our eggs offensively in the hands of a rookie (McBain) & Babchuk (In all honesty, we can't be certain what we've got in him. He's got a shot, but he is not a puck mover). After that we'd have defensive guys in Gleason, Pothier, Carson & Harrison, which is pretty good. I just think we may be in a bit of trouble there, where atleast having Corvo, he can be verastile and effective enough for us that we can rely on his both defensively & offensively. Myself, I thought Corvo & Gleason did a pretty good job defensively together.

I just don't believe Joe is as bad defensively as he is perhaps made out to be by some. I'm not saying he's great, but I think for this organization, for what we pay him, how we use him (though I think we give him too many minutes on many nights), etc.. I think he does a pretty good job. I think he's taken some solid steps forward defensively in comparison to where he was 3-4 years ago. He's pretty versatile for us and he helps us more than he hurts us. He makes his mistakes now and again, as most defenceman do, but they aren't so regularly that he's a liability defensively. As I said before, I think he is a tad above average on a lot of nights and average on many, but good enough to get by and not hurt us regularly. Sort of the same as Seidenberg was. Not perfect, but good enough to be solid and get by on most nights. I think it says something that he can play 23-30 minutes per night and come out of it in pretty good shape. I just think Corvo brings more to the table than Pothier, even with how the defence is constructed.
Fair enough for your opinion... But I don't think he developed the OhNO Corvo nick name for nothing...

Old
08-03-2010, 06:38 PM
caniac247

Quote:
Fair enough for your opinion... But I don't think he developed the OhNO Corvo nick name for nothing...
Yes because people can't get better. I get Ottawa gave him the nickname, but quite frankly, I haven't seen no Uh Oh Joe while he's been with us. Corvo hated the pressure that was in Ottawa. One mistake there and you become the devil. He plays much better in a market that isn't going to boo him for one mistake, and it showed here. Why he was hellbent on returning here and even took a discount to do so.

No Joe is not a stud defensivly, however, he hasn't had those Uh Oh moments with us. I don't panic when he's out on the ice holding onto a 1 goal lead the last minute of the game. However, I would panic if say Babchuk was. Corvo and Gleason made a pretty damn good shut down pair.

Old
08-03-2010, 06:49 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

You don't think Joe has had numerous, UHOH moments with us???? Wow, I just can't debate this then, because you and I see two completely different players in Joe...

I like Joe, but not with Joni, McBain, and Babs making up half our D... That's all

Old
08-03-2010, 07:49 PM
snakepliskin

i'll take corvo-glad he's a cane-

snakepliskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 08:15 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Quote:
You don't think Joe has had numerous, UHOH moments with us???? Wow, I just can't debate this then, because you and I see two completely different players in Joe...

I like Joe, but not with Joni, McBain, and Babs making up half our D... That's all
So every defenseman that's made a mistake with us shouldn't be playing?

Well, there goes Joni, McBain, Babs, Gleason, Carson, and Harrison. But wait, why limit to defensemen? How about every player who's made a mistake can't play for us?

Blueline Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 08:21 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

Corvo's defensive game still gets crapped on but he's not THAT bad. Apparently he'll never live his reputation from Ottawa down, but I'll take a Corvo who can actually stay healthy and not get concussed every season over Pothier anyday.

Also, just because Babchuk has a cannon of a shot doesn't make him an offensive d-man. His shot is basically his only offensive asset.

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 10:45 PM
Sens1Canes2

I can safely say that my opinion means something here, because I was giddy when Corvo was shipped out of Ottawa to the Canes. He was Uh Oh Corvo (the phrase coined by a buddy who writes for the Ottawa Sun), and he could not handle the puck without freaking out, nor shoot the puck without hitting the glass.

He came to Raleigh, and all of a sudden, I saw a brand new player. His shots found the net, his defensive play was at least passable, and his puckhandling was much steadier than I had seen in the past. I couldn't believe that it was the same guy. Explanation? It had to be Corvo simply being uncomfortable in the spotlight of a Canadian city. Remember, Ottawa's got nothing else in terms of sports teams. The Sens are IT.

So, in response to SVT, no, I don't see the Uh Oh attributes that you apparently see. They say old habits die hard, but I think in Corvo's case, they've died. There seems to be some agreement here that Corvo is actually a pretty responsible d-man. Perhaps if you stepped back a little, you may see the same thing. I remember that you were furious about drafting Jeff Skinner for about 24-48 hours, then cooled off and became an almost-fan of the pick.

Old
08-03-2010, 11:03 PM
impeach estaalo

I just want to say that I do not care at all that Brian Pothier will not be playing for the Carolina Hurricanes next season.

impeach estaalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 11:09 PM
Scorvo

We all know that Corvo played so much better than the Sens fans warned us about. I think him and Gleason formed a fantastic partnership. He does take the occasional chance, but I'm totally ok with that. The biggest thing I like about the Corvo situation is that he sat and waited while he could have had better offers from other teams, but he badly wanted to play here even if it meant less money. That's awesome in my book.

Scorvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 11:22 PM
Sens1Canes2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorvo View Post
We all know that Corvo played so much better than the Sens fans warned us about. I think him and Gleason formed a fantastic partnership. He does take the occasional chance, but I'm totally ok with that. The biggest thing I like about the Corvo situation is that he sat and waited while he could have had better offers from other teams, but he badly wanted to play here even if it meant less money. That's awesome in my book.
It's always important to have players who WANT to be here. No doubt.

Old
08-03-2010, 11:59 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueline Bomber View Post
So every defenseman that's made a mistake with us shouldn't be playing?

Well, there goes Joni, McBain, Babs, Gleason, Carson, and Harrison. But wait, why limit to defensemen? How about every player who's made a mistake can't play for us?
way to sound like an idiot by taking something to the extreme... Joe has had a number of those moments

Old
08-04-2010, 08:24 AM
wolfofthesteppes
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
way to sound like an idiot by taking something to the extreme...
. . . says the man who started the 'Where's the fire JR thread?!?!?' after the Canes drafted Skinner.

08-04-2010, 09:12 AM
dmonk
doughberle

Send a message via ICQ to dmonk
Quote:
way to sound like an idiot by taking something to the extreme... Joe has had a number of those moments
this is what happens when they don't allow law enforcement officers to call people names on the job... The frustration comes out in a form of calling people idiots on the internet boards.

dmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 10:03 AM
geehaad

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfofthesteppes View Post
. . . says the man who started the 'Where's the fire JR thread?!?!?' after the Canes drafted Skinner.
And another at the deadline after JR traded away all but one player playing on an expiring contract...most of whom were thought to have zero trade value.

I thought it was absolutely delicious when he called someone else out for taking something to the extreme.

geehaad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 10:12 AM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

I think JR has performed terribly the last few years, but that's not as extreme as something like, "oh you don't like Corvo I guess we should trade everyone that has ever made a mistake." That is down right dumb... At least the fire JR is based on an opinion that a GM is going a bad job overall, supported by facts, that while you may not agree with, are reasonable and possible. The statement he made is not reasonable and was made to actually say that I think Corvo should not have been signed because he made one or two mistakes, when CLEARLY my point was that we have enough offensive Dmen that would rather spend time scoring points than being defensively responsible... I even went so far as to say I wouldn't mind Corvo if we didn't sign Babs... So, yes, his post was dumb because it had NOTHING to do with anything I said....

Also, like I have said about 30 times already, I like Skinner, but I really really hate passing on 2 good D prospects because JR automatically doesn't like to take D in the first round... If we had drafted in the lower to mid teens, I'd have loved the pick with no complaints, so my complaint to JR is more on who he passed on than who he took... I just hope Skinner hits his upside and we aren't scraping for good top pairing Dmen in a few years

Old
08-04-2010, 10:16 AM
caniac247

Quote:
I can safely say that my opinion means something here, because I was giddy when Corvo was shipped out of Ottawa to the Canes. He was Uh Oh Corvo (the phrase coined by a buddy who writes for the Ottawa Sun), and he could not handle the puck without freaking out, nor shoot the puck without hitting the glass.

He came to Raleigh, and all of a sudden, I saw a brand new player. His shots found the net, his defensive play was at least passable, and his puckhandling was much steadier than I had seen in the past. I couldn't believe that it was the same guy. Explanation? It had to be Corvo simply being uncomfortable in the spotlight of a Canadian city. Remember, Ottawa's got nothing else in terms of sports teams. The Sens are IT.

So, in response to SVT, no, I don't see the Uh Oh attributes that you apparently see. They say old habits die hard, but I think in Corvo's case, they've died. There seems to be some agreement here that Corvo is actually a pretty responsible d-man. Perhaps if you stepped back a little, you may see the same thing. I remember that you were furious about drafting Jeff Skinner for about 24-48 hours, then cooled off and became an almost-fan of the pick.
Thanks for that response. That's what I was trying to get out. I'm not seeing the mistakes he made in Ottawa. What you said he did in Ottawa was exactly what Ottawa fans were saying why they didn't like him. I'm not seeing those type of mistakes here. Sure he makes mistakes, but who doesn't, no one is perfect. Everyone on this team has made mistakes, I just don't see the extreme mistakes that got him the Uh Oh Joe nickname.

I don't think his defense is all that bad either. Is it the best, absolutly not, but is he a liability, absolutly not.

Old
08-04-2010, 10:20 AM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Quote:
It's always important to have players who WANT to be here. No doubt.
Now this I do agree with, it's a necessity to have an atmosphere and team that players don't want to leave if we want to remain competitive long term