HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Rank the Habs Top 5 trades of all time.

Old
07-29-2010, 02:51 PM
Aurel Joliat

vCash: 500
The old Newsy Lalonde for top prospect HOF Aurel Joliat

Aurel Joliat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2010, 03:21 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by la25ecoupe View Post
The original trade saw Pollock send fringe forward Ernie Hicke and the Canadiens' first-round choice in 1970 (Chris Oddliefson) to the Seals in exchange for defenceman François Lacombe, cash and the Seals' first-round pick in 1971.

Then, Fisher writes: Pollock didn't stop there. On Jan. 26, 1971, he sent his talented centreman Ralph Backstrom to the struggling Kings for Gord Labossière and Ray Fortin with only one idea in mind: to strengthen the Kings sufficiently so that they would at least finish ahead of the Seals in Lafleur's draft year.

It's too bad with today's Habs management, we won't see this.
Pollock never would have gotten away with any of that in today's NHL. Back then teams didn't value the draft, they wanted veterans to build their expansion teams.

Also, the details around that Lafleur trade smell bad. Charlie O sold the Seals to a holding company for a couple months before they were turned over to a new owner. It was during that couple months that the Lafleur deal was made. Very fishy. Obviously the #1 pick was purchased on the down-low.

If that's what you mean, then I agree, we need more tampering and bribery!

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2010, 09:33 PM
wedge

I really liked the Muller-Schneider vs Turgeon-Malakhov. Too bad Malakhov was a headcase and Turgeon got stuck with Rejean Houle. Houle completely destroyed this trade by shipping him for Shayne Corson.

I always thought the Guy LAfleur trade was overated. People often forget that #2 was Marcel Dionne who's had a similar career to Lafleur (beside the Stanley Cups)

wedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2010, 09:52 PM
RE-HABS

Serge Savard did some great trades with Ron Caron in St. Louis. It seems like that old Montreal connection helped and Serge always got the guy he needed.

So many good one's, Pollock was ahead of his time knowing the draft was the way to build and took advantage of the teams that thought otherwise.

Two good GMs.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2010, 10:17 PM
dcyhabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedge View Post
I really liked the Muller-Schneider vs Turgeon-Malakhov. Too bad Malakhov was a headcase and Turgeon got stuck with Rejean Houle. Houle completely destroyed this trade by shipping him for Shayne Corson.

I always thought the Guy LAfleur trade was overated. People often forget that #2 was Marcel Dionne who's had a similar career to Lafleur (beside the Stanley Cups)
Lafleur >>>>>> Dionne. Attitude matters. Marcel damaged Gilbert, too. Told him to forget about the team and pad his stats. Of course Gilbert Dionne only scored because Denis Savard was feeding him, and he was done after that but he managed to whine Leclair out of town.

Malakhov for Souray was a good deal.

Since Grundman it is easier to list bad habs trades than good ones (Serge did OK until his business interests sucked up his time, though).

dcyhabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2010, 10:26 PM
AntonCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedge View Post

Not quite that similar were they?
How many rings did Lafleur have blocking his ears?

AntonCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2010, 12:53 AM
dhockeyman

P.TURGEON trade was great for why"ll

dhockeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2010, 05:14 PM
Coach Brisebois*

Higgins, McDonagh, Janik and Valentenko for Gomez, Pyatt and Busto.

Coach Brisebois* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2010, 05:50 PM
Megaforce

The Cam Connor acquisition wasn't mentioned here. That guy drank so much Molson that they made an honorary special run beer in his honour.

Megaforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2010, 10:58 PM
joe6pack

In September 13, 1976, the Montreal Canadiens sent Ron Andruff, Sean Shanahan and the their 1980 first round pick for Colorado Rockie's first round pick in 1980.

Colorado Rockies pick in 1980 turned out to be the #1 overall in 1980.

I always wondered if Montreal already had Wayne Gretzky in mind when they made that deal. In 1976, there was no underage draft so Gretzky's draft year was 1980. So quite possibly, they had already spotted the legend when Gretzky was only 16 years old.

If all played out according to Sam Pollock's vision, Gretzky could have been a Hab.

joe6pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2010, 04:14 AM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe6pack View Post
In September 13, 1976, the Montreal Canadiens sent Ron Andruff, Sean Shanahan and the their 1980 first round pick for Colorado Rockie's first round pick in 1980.

Colorado Rockies pick in 1980 turned out to be the #1 overall in 1980.

I always wondered if Montreal already had Wayne Gretzky in mind when they made that deal. In 1976, there was no underage draft so Gretzky's draft year was 1980. So quite possibly, they had already spotted the legend when Gretzky was only 16 years old.

If all played out according to Sam Pollock's vision, Gretzky could have been a Hab.
Damn. Pollock was taking candy from babies.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2010, 09:25 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

I'm a glass half empty kind of guy today.

The big debate is whether Pollack should have taken Guy Lafleur in 1971 or Marcel Dionne.

I loved Guy but part of me says Marcel would have been a greater Montreal legend if the pick was made. The guy scored 731 goals with less talented teams than Montreal had.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2010, 09:39 AM
ReVeuF

Quote:
Originally Posted by la25ecoupe View Post
The original trade saw Pollock send fringe forward Ernie Hicke and the Canadiens' first-round choice in 1970 (Chris Oddliefson) to the Seals in exchange for defenceman François Lacombe, cash and the Seals' first-round pick in 1971.

Then, Fisher writes: Pollock didn't stop there. On Jan. 26, 1971, he sent his talented centreman Ralph Backstrom to the struggling Kings for Gord Labossière and Ray Fortin with only one idea in mind: to strengthen the Kings sufficiently so that they would at least finish ahead of the Seals in Lafleur's draft year.

It's too bad with today's Habs management, we won't see this.
That is exactly what I want to see from a GM, like a chess master, a brilliant guy who think several moves ahead.

ReVeuF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2010, 09:47 AM
McNuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLPacman67 View Post
No Ribeiro trade?

I mean, Ribeiro is such a small price to pay for this :

This picture is gold. GOLD I tell ye.

McNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2010, 01:19 PM
loadie
Official Beer Taster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24Cups View Post
Rick Wamsley to St. Louis for a first rounder (5th overall in 1984). The pick was Petr Svoboda who had secretly defected from Czechoslovakia and the Habs smuggled into the arena and hid behind a curtain while waiting for his name to be called.

http://habslegends.blogspot.com/2007...r-svoboda.html
I was wondering if anyone was going to mention this. I thought it was brilliant at the time. Habs still got Corson who they coveted.

The French Canadian rule: Read about it, go to bed smarter.

http://ultimatehockeynetwork.com/the...-or-fiction-2/
loadie is offline   Reply With Quote