HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers Agree to Terms with Frolov (1Y @ $3MM)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-27-2010, 07:10 PM
  #176
OK Okposo
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 503
vCash: 500
Nice pickup guys, some of my fellow isles fans are pissing there pants right now. Playoffs are looking likely.

OK Okposo is offline  
Old
07-27-2010, 07:15 PM
  #177
ThirdEye
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 11,671
vCash: 500
By the way, it's hard to believe he turned down 20 million for 3. At least you know he will try next season because that might be his last chance to really capitalize

ThirdEye is offline  
Old
07-27-2010, 07:15 PM
  #178
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 16,239
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OK Okposo View Post
Nice pickup guys, some of my fellow isles fans are pissing there pants right now. Playoffs are looking likely.
Thanks...but honestly I would think the Rangers are the least of the Isles worries right now. There are a lot better teams to fear in the East.

broadwayblue is offline  
Old
07-27-2010, 07:30 PM
  #179
haohmaru
boomshakalaka
 
haohmaru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Fleming Island, Fl
Country: United States
Posts: 6,496
vCash: 500
This is a great signing and, to me, Frolov > Zherdev. Hopefully, AA and Dubi can develop further this year and this team isn't as bad as you might think.

haohmaru is online now  
Old
07-27-2010, 07:45 PM
  #180
Procrastinator
Registered User
 
Procrastinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 193
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
Solid, one-year deal. I like it.

If only we could operate like this more often when these kind of players are on the market.
on the money.

last/this year prospal at a lemon and frolov on a 1 year deal at 3 lemons.

maybe the idiot's signing FA's is catching up with his trading technics.

Procrastinator is offline  
Old
07-27-2010, 07:49 PM
  #181
malfobi88
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 89
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
Dammit. This will do nothing for the team except make the draft pick a couple selections lower.
Glad to see Debbie Downer made it here.


Slats is looking like a wily GM what is happening?

malfobi88 is offline  
Old
07-27-2010, 07:54 PM
  #182
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 24,602
vCash: 50
Awards:
Love it. 100% on board with this.

__________________

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline  
Old
07-27-2010, 07:55 PM
  #183
Procrastinator
Registered User
 
Procrastinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 193
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Which is why I have a hard time seeing this team make the playoffs.
no offence, but are you really interested in seeing this team make the playoffs or get better pick(s) and build a team?

Procrastinator is offline  
Old
07-27-2010, 07:58 PM
  #184
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 24,602
vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots View Post
This is the way the Rangers are. Management will NEVER go into ANY season with full knowledge that the team is going to take it on the chin night in and night out.

They are going to try to make this team competitive every single season even if they're actually rebuilding.


Signing Fro to a 1 year deal shows that they are being smart about it though. It shows that they're still trying to be competitive in the short term as well as not being irresponsible with cap space in the long term.
And you know, as a fan who loves this team way too much, I like it that way. People can argue all day about the merits of being a low-seeded playoff team, but I want to fight dammit. Maybe I'd be a horrible GM, who knows? But I'm not a GM...I want my team out there every night with a chance to win, and this move helps in that respect.

nyr2k2 is offline  
Old
07-27-2010, 07:58 PM
  #185
Richard Brads
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 280
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by malfobi88 View Post
Glad to see Debbie Downer made it here.


Slats is looking like a wily GM what is happening?
he realized his pension doesn't kick in until 5 years after retirement, and those cigars don't buy themselves

Richard Brads is offline  
Old
07-27-2010, 07:58 PM
  #186
Procrastinator
Registered User
 
Procrastinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 193
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots View Post
This is the way the Rangers are. Management will NEVER go into ANY season with full knowledge that the team is going to take it on the chin night in and night out.

They are going to try to make this team competitive every single season even if they're actually rebuilding.

Signing Fro to a 1 year deal shows that they are being smart about it though. It shows that they're still trying to be competitive in the short term as well as not being irresponsible with cap space in the long term.
good post

Procrastinator is offline  
Old
07-27-2010, 07:59 PM
  #187
MTK
Registered User
 
MTK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: West Islip
Country: Iceland
Posts: 2,341
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OK Okposo View Post
Nice pickup guys, some of my fellow isles fans are pissing there pants right now. Playoffs are looking likely.
Really? Who? You and TavaresBaileyOkposo. Thats 2. About 99% are glad that we did not sign him. Playoffs looking likely batman? Long season and if Frolov is the one getting you to the playoffs, I would be worried.

Good pick up NYR. I said before the one year is the most important part. He got paid what he is worth on the market. A big thing is that he has to earn that contract. If he doesn't by trade deadline, you ship him off.

I am not a fan of the player but when he plays, he is effective. He could work out well for you or really bad but its only a year or a couple months

MTK is offline  
Old
07-27-2010, 08:01 PM
  #188
pwoz
Registered User
 
pwoz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: NJ
Posts: 2,591
vCash: 500
We missed the playoffs last year because of one friggin game. Who knows what would've happened if we made it. I have more optimism about this season, especially with the additions of a solid top 6 winger, a legit backup goalie, (possibly) no more Redden, and a 6'8" 260lbs monster who will dismember anyone that goes near our star players. That fear factor alone will be a big plus.

pwoz is offline  
Old
07-27-2010, 08:06 PM
  #189
UAGoalieGuy
Registered User
 
UAGoalieGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Long Island,New York
Country: United States
Posts: 8,948
vCash: 500
He could be a nice big body in front of the net on the PP. Something this team has been lacking a bit. Also takes a lot of the focus off of Gaborik, having a legit second scoring threat.

UAGoalieGuy is offline  
Old
07-27-2010, 08:18 PM
  #190
FOXHOUND*
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Woodside, Queens
Country: United States
Posts: 3,507
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwoz View Post
We missed the playoffs last year because of one friggin game. Who knows what would've happened if we made it. I have more optimism about this season, especially with the additions of a solid top 6 winger, a legit backup goalie, (possibly) no more Redden, and a 6'8" 260lbs monster who will dismember anyone that goes near our star players. That fear factor alone will be a big plus.
swept in the first round with an injured/tired lundqvist...but thats besides the point

FOXHOUND* is offline  
Old
07-27-2010, 08:21 PM
  #191
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,205
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
And you know, as a fan who loves this team way too much, I like it that way. People can argue all day about the merits of being a low-seeded playoff team, but I want to fight dammit. Maybe I'd be a horrible GM, who knows? But I'm not a GM...I want my team out there every night with a chance to win, and this move helps in that respect.
100% with 2k2 on this. I'll never be against my team's management trying to put a product on the ice that has a chance to compete and win every night with the hope of finding a playoff spot. Once your in the playoffs anything can happen. And it is not like a 1 year/$3 million deal could possibly hurt this team in anyway. That deal will by no means deter us from letting our young kids get a shot or stunt their development by taking one less spot away from someone to earn in camp. In fact it helps because there is no reason to rush them and also if they prove they can be here then that just makes someone else expendable like Boyle, Prust, or even Avery. OR it puts Boogard on the bench some nights.

RGY is offline  
Old
07-27-2010, 08:23 PM
  #192
Levitate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 21,668
vCash: 500
I'm not a huge frolov fan or something but i think some people are really underrating him. saying "glad we didnt sign him!"? really? you're glad your team didnt sign a 60-70 point potential player who will put up 50 in a bad year to a good contract with no risk? get the **** out, now you're just being dumb

frolov is a legit 2nd liner and most teams could use one of those

Levitate is offline  
Old
07-27-2010, 08:25 PM
  #193
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..
 
offdacrossbar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: da cuse
Country: Tuvalu
Posts: 8,976
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOXHOUND View Post
swept in the first round with an injured/tired lundqvist...but thats besides the point
and a lower first round pick so we miss out on a guy like tarasenko and end up with dylan mcilrath....

no wait........

nevermind

offdacrossbar is offline  
Old
07-27-2010, 08:36 PM
  #194
jas
Unsatisfied
 
jas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NJ
Posts: 13,709
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Procrastinator View Post
no offence, but are you really interested in seeing this team make the playoffs or get better pick(s) and build a team?

Frankly, I'd love nothing more than this team to exceed my expectations, for Dubinsky to become a 30-goal scorer, MDZ, to become a 50-point D-man, for Anisimov to become a 25-goal, 60 point player in his 2nd year, for McDonagh to step into the lineup, and become a vet by season's end, for Gaborik to break all Ranger scoring records, and for Kreider, Stepan, Grachev, McIlrath, Werek and every other Ranger prospect to take major steps in their development. I just don't see that happening. I look at this team realistically, and look at what the rest of the conference did, and I just don't see a playoff team. That doesn't mean that I won't root for them to be as successful as possible. I also don't want them to be stuck in mediocrity, which is where they've been headed since Jagr left.

jas is offline  
Old
07-27-2010, 08:41 PM
  #195
azrok22
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 9,473
vCash: 1738
Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
and a lower first round pick so we miss out on a guy like tarasenko and end up with dylan mcilrath....

no wait........

nevermind
I think this really needs to be emphasized.

With the same logic, I think an argument could be made that Cherepanov, Kreider, and even Del Zotto would've still been our picks in their respective drafts if we picked earlier. How much earlier, I don't know... 3 places? 5? 10?

For better or worse, packing the season in before it even started will never be an option for this team. I truly believe that the only choices were short team deals while trying to compete or long term deals while trying to compete. I'm very happy we went with the short term (Frolov + Prospal) options.

azrok22 is offline  
Old
07-27-2010, 08:58 PM
  #196
Punxrocknyc19*
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 10,232
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
I think this really needs to be emphasized.

With the same logic, I think an argument could be made that Cherepanov, Kreider, and even Del Zotto would've still been our picks in their respective drafts if we picked earlier. How much earlier, I don't know... 3 places? 5? 10?

For better or worse, packing the season in before it even started will never be an option for this team. I truly believe that the only choices were short team deals while trying to compete or long term deals while trying to compete. I'm very happy we went with the short term (Frolov + Prospal) options.
I love this move. I was hoping for a 2 or 3 year deal.

Punxrocknyc19* is offline  
Old
07-27-2010, 09:01 PM
  #197
KingWantsCup
Grinch who stole...
 
KingWantsCup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 5,858
vCash: 350
What a steal!!! This has to be Slats best off season yet. Only one mistake in overpaying Boogaard!

KingWantsCup is offline  
Old
07-27-2010, 09:06 PM
  #198
HeaveHo94
PSN: NYC_RANGERS_94
 
HeaveHo94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NY NEW YORK
Country: United States
Posts: 2,335
vCash: 500
any1 know what # he'll be? not 24

HeaveHo94 is offline  
Old
07-27-2010, 09:20 PM
  #199
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato
 
HatTrick Swayze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 10,121
vCash: 500
First: I love the terms and like the player.

Second: Am I the only one who is tired of short term stop gaps that lead to annual mediocrity with no end in sight?

Sorry to be a downer.

__________________
"Here we can see the agression of american people. They love fighting and guns. when they wont win they try to kill us all." -HalfOfFame
HatTrick Swayze is offline  
Old
07-27-2010, 09:31 PM
  #200
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,269
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan444 View Post
First: I love the terms and like the player.

Second: Am I the only one who is tired of short term stop gaps that lead to annual mediocrity with no end in sight?

Sorry to be a downer.
The stop gaps won't stop until we've developed players that are able to fill said shoes.

RMcDonagh is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:10 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.