HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers Agree to Terms with Frolov (1Y @ $3MM)

Closed Thread

Old
07-27-2010, 09:47 PM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaromir Jagr View Post
The stop gaps won't stop until we've developed players that are able to fill said shoes.
On point. I'm extremely pleased with the stop gaps we've recently added like Prospal and now Frolov.

Old
07-27-2010, 09:59 PM
bland

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
He could be a nice big body in front of the net on the PP. Something this team has been lacking a bit. Also takes a lot of the focus off of Gaborik, having a legit second scoring threat.
I'm a long, long time Kings fan dropping by to congratulate you guys on picking up one my favorite players in the league. No, I'm not Russian or anything like that - I LOVE smart, detail-oriented, hard-nosed hockey, and you guys got yourself a hell of a player in Frolov.

First, the post I'm quoting isn't really accurate. Frolov is a side-board player, not a front of net presence. He may have scored 95% of his NHL goals from within 10 feet of the net, but it is more in the way that he just senses situations and moves towards the net at the right time as opposed to setting up shop in the crease.

His strengths are on the forecheck. He's not going to bowl anyone over by any stretch of the imagination, but he takes proper angles and uses his stick effectively to cause turnovers. He is especially strong along the boards and in the corners - he is among the best in the league in puck recovery.

One of the reasons he statistically suffered under Terry Murray is that their styles just didn't fit. Frolov is all puck posession, where as Murray preaches a shoot, shoot, crash system that doesn't leave a lot of room for creativity.

Frolov has the ability to control loose pucks along the boards, buy time with his huge wingspan, and look for passing lanes to pinching pointmen and weak side snipers. There just haven't been too many gifted offensive defensemen aside from Doughty on the kings roster over the past 2 seasons. Johnson is still in development, but reads aren't his strength.

You have to condition yourself to think of him as an elite support player. If you expect too much in terms of stats, you will be disappointed. His numbers have always been good, but not great, but the strength of his game is in the trenches. He's a Ulf Dahlen/Jere Lehtinen hybrid.

You will see some spectacular plays, and they will leave you wanting more if you let it. He is not fast, isn't a hitter, and doesn't have a great shot. Everything he does looks a little awkward and slow, but he is a patient player that has the ability to slow the game down when he has the puck on his stick.

He will ALWAYS have a smile on his face, and that just bugs the hell out of some fans for some reason, Just wait, you will have some who will feel the same way, and the rest of you will be argung with those guys all year long.

Anyway, cheers guys.

Old
07-27-2010, 10:14 PM
salami

Quote:
Originally Posted by bland View Post
I'm a long, long time Kings fan dropping by to congratulate you guys on picking up one my favorite players in the league. No, I'm not Russian or anything like that - I LOVE smart, detail-oriented, hard-nosed hockey, and you guys got yourself a hell of a player in Frolov.

First, the post I'm quoting isn't really accurate. Frolov is a side-board player, not a front of net presence. He may have scored 95% of his NHL goals from within 10 feet of the net, but it is more in the way that he just senses situations and moves towards the net at the right time as opposed to setting up shop in the crease.

His strengths are on the forecheck. He's not going to bowl anyone over by any stretch of the imagination, but he takes proper angles and uses his stick effectively to cause turnovers. He is especially strong along the boards and in the corners - he is among the best in the league in puck recovery.

One of the reasons he statistically suffered under Terry Murray is that their styles just didn't fit. Frolov is all puck posession, where as Murray preaches a shoot, shoot, crash system that doesn't leave a lot of room for creativity.

Frolov has the ability to control loose pucks along the boards, buy time with his huge wingspan, and look for passing lanes to pinching pointmen and weak side snipers. There just haven't been too many gifted offensive defensemen aside from Doughty on the kings roster over the past 2 seasons. Johnson is still in development, but reads aren't his strength.

You have to condition yourself to think of him as an elite support player. If you expect too much in terms of stats, you will be disappointed. His numbers have always been good, but not great, but the strength of his game is in the trenches. He's a Ulf Dahlen/Jere Lehtinen hybrid.

You will see some spectacular plays, and they will leave you wanting more if you let it. He is not fast, isn't a hitter, and doesn't have a great shot. Everything he does looks a little awkward and slow, but he is a patient player that has the ability to slow the game down when he has the puck on his stick.

He will ALWAYS have a smile on his face, and that just bugs the hell out of some fans for some reason, Just wait, you will have some who will feel the same way, and the rest of you will be argung with those guys all year long.

Anyway, cheers guys.
You forgot to mention that he only shows up for about 20-30 games a season. He's invisible the rest of the games. When he feels like playing, he's great, unfortunately, it's not that often.

As a life long Kings fan, I'm not at all heartbroken to see him go. It won't be long before Rangers fans understand my frustration and chew him up and spit him out.

I want to be the first to say it on this board, "Frolov and a pick".

Old
07-27-2010, 10:15 PM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan Blue View Post
On point. I'm extremely pleased with the stop gaps we've recently added like Prospal and now Frolov.
I agree. I don't think there is reason to complain.

In NHL 10, you might be able to develop 20 roster players in complete form and bring them up from young adult to mature star, however, in reality, most teams only have a handful of those at best.

"Stop gaps" such as these are good players and ones who help you win.

Old
07-27-2010, 10:16 PM
Hatter
All about the Bob

Kings fan here and I didn't read the thread. I just wanted to come in and say Congrats to (this is hard to say) Rangers fan (brushes teeth haha) on getting one of my favorite players. The Kings used him improperly and I wish nothing more than for you guys to use him on the first line and him to get his 40/40 this year.

Take care of our boy, will ya? I'm sad to see him go but I'm glad he did. He deserves better.

Oh and PS I just saw the last couple posts in this thread and Frolov is NOT a stop-gap.

Old
07-27-2010, 10:21 PM
Hatter
All about the Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by salami View Post
You forgot to mention that he only shows up for about 20-30 games a season. He's invisible the rest of the games. When he feels like playing, he's great, unfortunately, it's not that often.
I could not disagree more. Frolov had the wonderful contributing factor of being moved from line to line while injuries decimated the team in the begning of his career and had the unfortune to have a coach or 2 later that had no idea how to use him.

Trust me Ranger fan, you will be VERY happy with this 3.00 mill sigining.

Old
07-27-2010, 10:22 PM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatter View Post
Kings fan here and I didn't read the thread. I just wanted to come in and say Congrats to (this is hard to say) Rangers fan (brushes teeth haha) on getting one of my favorite players. The Kings used him improperly and I wish nothing more than for you guys to use him on the first line and him to get his 40/40 this year.

Take care of our boy, will ya? I'm sad to see him go but I'm glad he did. He deserves better.

Oh and PS I just saw the last couple posts in this thread and Frolov is NOT a stop-gap.
Appreciate the kind words and opinions, however, we're only referring to him as a stop-gap because of the way the contract was constructed. For the New York Rangers, he is a stop-gap having garnered a 1-year deal as sort of a "tryout" option, and he isn't a homegrown player. It's merely a gleeful term.

Old
07-27-2010, 10:26 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:

Anyway, cheers guys.
Thanks for the scouting report. Terrific write up. Much appreciated!

I'm happy to have him.

It's just pain.
Old
07-27-2010, 10:30 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
94Now, Torts said during the exit interviews that they'll be playing Dubinsky at wing this season and they like him in that role (position)... He will not be competing with Christensen for any center role on either of the top 2 lines.... Our Centers are:

Christensen
Boyle
Drury
Anisimov

in no particular order...
Sure they liked him at LW. They didn't have any better. No matter how much I wanted to believe that Avery is top 6 material, he most probably not. Now they do. Frolov and Prospal will leave no spot for Dubi . Plus, we will have kids namely Grachev and others that do know how to play LW. No way they will keep Dubi at the LW. Boyle will be waved

Old
07-27-2010, 10:34 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Quote:

Anyway, cheers guys.
Scott Gomez part 2?

Old
07-27-2010, 10:45 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan444 View Post
First: I love the terms and like the player.

Second: Am I the only one who is tired of short term stop gaps that lead to annual mediocrity with no end in sight?

Sorry to be a downer.
Exactly the way I feel. At almost any other time in the team's life cycle I would be jumping up and down about this deal for this player. I just think this was the exact wrong time for it.

I am now rooting for one of two things: Slats pulls off one or two of his legendary thieveries and drops in another legitimate talent or two to make this a team a borderline Cup contender rather than a borderline playoff contender; or this year if we are scratching and clawing and trying to reach/hang on to 8th place, he actually sells assets like Prospal and Frolov at the deadline. In either case, what I will enjoy most will be watching the kids develop (those that somehow shoehorn their way into the lineup, anyway).

Old
07-27-2010, 10:55 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
Scott Gomez part 2?
as long as he doesn't say "i won't let it ruin my day" but instead "i'm smiling on the outside but deep down I disappointed in our lose tonight. I just don't like to cry in public."

Old
07-27-2010, 11:23 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
as long as he doesn't say "i won't let it ruin my day" but instead "i'm smiling on the outside but deep down I disappointed in our lose tonight. I just don't like to cry in public."
and as long he dont make stupid jokes to sound like a comedian...

Old
07-27-2010, 11:26 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:

Anyway, cheers guys.
Thanks for the write up. I know Frolov as a player, but you describe the finer points of his game very well. Besides *****ing about everything that surrounds this deal (its coming) and my low expectations for him (better off that way i think) - I'll offer this: Didnt know he was THAT good of a trench/recovery/forecheck player.

If true, he should fit perfectly into Torts system. But heres where the problem lies. If he has a few good games doing that, pots a couple and uses his body well to possess the puck, set up some chances, gets to the net, etc... Torts is going to want to see that every night. Hes going to NEED that everynight.

The Rangers lack of scoring is contagious throughout the team. They are brining in Frolov to compliment Gabby, but also take some of the attention away from him and the other lines as well. It could be said that Frolov is the key to the Rangers success on offense, if all stays equal from last season. We COULD be in for a surprise if things work out right, but just as quickly as they can work, they can explode in a single moment if Torts sees him let up.

I'm sure the leash will be long at first - and i would expect a decent start from him. The real question is will he sustain it, and its the same conversation weve had with so many other resurrected players "saved" by Slats. So if you feel Frolov isnt getting a fair shake around here without even putting the sweater on - thats why. And its for good reason.

But at least it adds a little more intrigue to the season. Every offseason i've downed the kool-aid coming into camp, only to be disappointed. Not this season. I'm looking for some improved play by some guys like Anisimov and Dubinsky in particular. I'm excited to see what kids make it out of camp, and if not how they look in preseason. I'd like to see Staal really raise his game now. I'd like to see Del Zotto solidify while keeping the numbers up. I'd love to see Avery wake the **** up. Frolov is a bonus in my mind. Im not even focusing on what he can bring, though I'd be kidding myself if I wasnt intrigued, regardless of the fact that without him, the Rangers would have a much better shot at being sellers at the deadline in what probably is the destiny for this team this season anyway, given the Eastern Conference and Atlantic Division.

But this is Glen Sathers team, and the Rangers will always been in it some how. Not good, not great - the mediocre machine. The Frolov deal is typical Sather placating the fans, with no real foresight. This isnt a championship player added to a championship squad. Its just a good deal for a guy who can put the puck in the net and is coming on the cheap. It is what it is. It makes the fans come back for more of the same and it really doesn't cost them much, so why the hell not.

I'll also add with pure joy, that if this means the end of Redden then its addition by subtraction. But yet again, another admission by Sather of the cap exploding contracts he loves to ignite. But as Ranger fans, the very fact that deals like this are being made should be worrisome, especially when it happens every year. Are they ever going to take the keys away from Sather? But thats a whole different subject.

Good Luck Fro. You'll need it. You are in the Garden now.

Last edited by HockeyBasedNYC: 07-27-2010 at 11:40 PM.
Old
07-27-2010, 11:52 PM
GarretJoseph*

After reading the LA Kings fans blogs, posts, ect, I've come to the conclusion without actually watching this kid that he's a Nik Antropov type of player with perhaps a little bit more upscale than Nik but not likely to have any kinda all star year with us.

Will reserve judgment until the all star game.

Old
07-28-2010, 01:03 AM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

This could very well be the best signing this NHL off season in terms of value. If Frolov plays with Gaborik there is no reason why he shouldn't be able to crack 30 goals, at the least.

Old
07-28-2010, 03:06 AM
lak4ever

Congrats to you guys on getting Frolov!

You'll love him, but trust me there are times where he will frustrate you. Like others have pointed out he has great puck possesion (probably one of the best). Great along the boards, knows how to slow down the game, great passer. Fro will always have a smile on his face no matter the situation. (which i personally love).

Good luck to Fro, and good luck to you guys as well.

Old
07-28-2010, 03:24 AM
RegalRangers

vCash: 783
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Thanks for the write up. I know Frolov as a player, but you describe the finer points of his game very well. Besides *****ing about everything that surrounds this deal (its coming) and my low expectations for him (better off that way i think) - I'll offer this: Didnt know he was THAT good of a trench/recovery/forecheck player.

If true, he should fit perfectly into Torts system. But heres where the problem lies. If he has a few good games doing that, pots a couple and uses his body well to possess the puck, set up some chances, gets to the net, etc... Torts is going to want to see that every night. Hes going to NEED that everynight.

The Rangers lack of scoring is contagious throughout the team. They are brining in Frolov to compliment Gabby, but also take some of the attention away from him and the other lines as well. It could be said that Frolov is the key to the Rangers success on offense, if all stays equal from last season. We COULD be in for a surprise if things work out right, but just as quickly as they can work, they can explode in a single moment if Torts sees him let up.

I'm sure the leash will be long at first - and i would expect a decent start from him. The real question is will he sustain it, and its the same conversation weve had with so many other resurrected players "saved" by Slats. So if you feel Frolov isnt getting a fair shake around here without even putting the sweater on - thats why. And its for good reason.

But at least it adds a little more intrigue to the season. Every offseason i've downed the kool-aid coming into camp, only to be disappointed. Not this season. I'm looking for some improved play by some guys like Anisimov and Dubinsky in particular. I'm excited to see what kids make it out of camp, and if not how they look in preseason. I'd like to see Staal really raise his game now. I'd like to see Del Zotto solidify while keeping the numbers up. I'd love to see Avery wake the **** up. Frolov is a bonus in my mind. Im not even focusing on what he can bring, though I'd be kidding myself if I wasnt intrigued, regardless of the fact that without him, the Rangers would have a much better shot at being sellers at the deadline in what probably is the destiny for this team this season anyway, given the Eastern Conference and Atlantic Division.

But this is Glen Sathers team, and the Rangers will always been in it some how. Not good, not great - the mediocre machine. The Frolov deal is typical Sather placating the fans, with no real foresight. This isnt a championship player added to a championship squad. Its just a good deal for a guy who can put the puck in the net and is coming on the cheap. It is what it is. It makes the fans come back for more of the same and it really doesn't cost them much, so why the hell not.

I'll also add with pure joy, that if this means the end of Redden then its addition by subtraction. But yet again, another admission by Sather of the cap exploding contracts he loves to ignite. But as Ranger fans, the very fact that deals like this are being made should be worrisome, especially when it happens every year. Are they ever going to take the keys away from Sather? But thats a whole different subject.

Good Luck Fro. You'll need it. You are in the Garden now.
Excellent, excellent point. Now I'm glad it won't surprise me when we see that happen.

Old
07-28-2010, 05:06 AM
HoosierDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by deriik2020 View Post
Thnx for contributing nothing at all to the discussion. You couldn't be bothered to explain where this kool-aid drinking is yet you made that comment. Back up your comment.

I don't see any kool-aid drinking at all. I saw one comment make radical predictions and then clearly say it was only a pipe dream. Every other comment is grounded in reality and basically has said he adds to our secondary scoring and we got this specific player at a great price. We did. Where's the kool aid in that?

If you wanna argue the Rangers should have stayed what they were and likely failed than that's you I guess. Do you like losng for the sake of losing if you likely won't win the cup? I don't understand that mentality...seems you're here complaining and attacking unknown posters (b/c you didn't have the guts to address them directly) for the sake of complaining which happens a lot on these boards. Maybe you're just trolling?

Every season Ranger fans begin to fantasize about breakout years for inconsistent players on our roster. Last year it was that secondary scoring would come from Captain Valium and Cally who were penciled in for 30 goals, 20-25 for Higgy and Kotlik. Never fails. Then the season starts and we're left scratching and clawing for the last playoff spot, because as you know, "anything can happen."

The bar has been set so low that many are happy just to trott out a woefully constructed team with more holes than swiss cheese. Those who are holding out for the "kids" may be sadly dissapointed when most fail to meet expectation, although we do have drafted sme nice prospects that last few years. A long-term injury to either Hank or Gabby and we're toast. The (dis)organization will hide behind the "we're staying the course and playing kids." At least before they'd spew nonsense like "we're here to wing the Stanley Cup." Now, who the heck knows what this team can do.

Old
07-28-2010, 06:47 AM
azrok22

Think of it this way: Last year Kotalik (8 total), Higgins (6 total), and Jokinen (4 total) combined for a measley 18 goals for the NYR.

I think Frolov surpasses that number by himself; any goals coming from the other open roster spot (MZA?) make this a definite improvement over last year.

Old
07-28-2010, 07:50 AM
shoothepuck

On this woefully scoring challenged team any player they add that has the potential to net at least 20 goals is an asset.

Old
07-28-2010, 08:39 AM
Melrose Munch

Welcome to NYNY Frolov.

Old
07-28-2010, 09:13 AM
TrueBlueNorwegian

LOVE this signing!! This guy reminds you a lot of Prospal in terms of inconsistency in the stats department. I haven´t seen this guy a whole lot but if you look at his stats history I think we can realisticly expect this guy to bounce back and deliver a 30 goal 60+ point season.

Old
07-28-2010, 09:30 AM
BOXPLAY

Send a message via AIM to BOXPLAY
This is a great signing. We get him for well under market value and if the rangers are not in the playoff picture come deadline time this is a great trade piece

Old
07-28-2010, 09:41 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Whats funny about every article you read about this signing -

His "disappointing" year last year on mainly the 3rd line outputted "only" 19 goals and 32 assists. Those 51 points would have been good enough for THIRD on the Rangers last season.

LOL

Man, do the Rangers stink offensively.

Closed Thread