HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sather's off-season - impressive

Closed Thread

Old
08-02-2010, 08:42 AM
AJRanger

vCash: 500
I still can't fathom how someone can be so good in terms of trades but royally suck when it comes to the free-agent market. Still, glad he's able to clear up his mess.

Old
08-02-2010, 08:49 AM
NikC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
That "impressiveness" could just as easily be erased with one more bone-headed move. Based on past precedence, I'm not getting my hopes up.

To me, he's "netted" one positive step this summer. He signed Biron for a great deal, but negated it with the Boogaard signing -- which was necessitated due to the fact that he let Orr walk for much less money. That leaves Frolov as the lone positive. I guess we just have differing definitions of "impressive."
... or increase with another good move like the White move! Say what you want but so far Sather has done a pretty good job this offseason, and it's still not over..

Old
08-02-2010, 09:11 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikC View Post
... or increase with another good move like the White move! Say what you want but so far Sather has done a pretty good job this offseason, and it's still not over..
Fixed a problem that he created himself! Woohoo!! 10 more years!! 10 more years!!

Old
08-02-2010, 09:12 AM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrap View Post
Dude have you even seen Fowler play? He plays a very soft game. The last thing we needed was another d-man who doesn't hit people. We needed a bruiser on the backend and that is exactly what we got. And to put a cap on an 18 year old prospect's potential a month after he got drafted is insane. The kid is one of the most feared d-men in the WHL...that means something.
You mean the way you just put a cap on 18-year-old Fowler's game?

Old
08-02-2010, 10:02 AM
Blueblood 2

Sather gets rightfully bashed for a poor acquisition and then again when he rights the wrong. He really needs for the season to start so the haters can get back to bashing Torts. I wonder which player will get booed during warm ups this season if Redden is gone? Sather has to wait till training camp to dump him, so he will only be bashed again for a week or so. We have to have some player to demoralize. Maybe we will pick on a kid this time....for fun!

Old
08-02-2010, 10:09 AM
NikC

Quote:
Fixed a problem that he created himself! Woohoo!! 10 more years!! 10 more years!!
hindsight is foresight friend. the players take some responsibility as well!

Old
08-02-2010, 10:14 AM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
Quote:
You are such a downer. The guy made a mistake and he fixed it. I hate Sather but this was a great move.

Old
08-02-2010, 10:16 AM
msv957

Sather really is a crafty GM.... I have no idea how he pulls off
these trades and acquisitions... Very good offseason....

Sign Staal... and then Rangers will not see Sather's face for another
10 months or so... Sather will be on the lake fishing in Banff (sp?) with a
big smile on his face with not a care in the world..

Old
08-02-2010, 10:16 AM
NikC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueblood 2 View Post
Sather gets rightfully bashed for a poor acquisition and then again when he rights the wrong. He really needs for the season to start so the haters can get back to bashing Torts. I wonder which player will get booed during warm ups this season if Redden is gone? Sather has to wait till training camp to dump him, so he will only be bashed again for a week or so. We have to have some player to demoralize. Maybe we will pick on a kid this time....for fun!
exactly. people are addicted to misery. no cure.

Old
08-02-2010, 10:20 AM
Edge

Guys ,the bottom line is that winners get it done. And Sather has not "gotten it done" in 20 years, including 10 here.

I don't think it's an addiction to misery. It's reaction to 1 championship in 70 years, and not having to use your entire hand to count how many playoff rounds we've won in the past 13 years.

Granted a lot of people take the misery to an extreme,but the youthful optimism often wears just as thin. It seems like both sides get worse as they attempt to gain "victory" over the other.

Old
08-02-2010, 10:31 AM
OverTheCap

Sather's made some good moves this offseason, but a lot of these moves concentrated on correcting mistakes and past transgressions. This team will be stuck in neutral so long as Sather has to dedicate his time towards getting rid of bad contracts and players that shouldn't have been signed in the first place. Had the bad free agent signings in the summers from 07-09 not occurred, the Rangers may have built upon their 2007 playoff performance. Instead, they have gotten progressively worse each year, and it will probably take some time for them to get to that level again.

Old
08-02-2010, 10:45 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
hindsight is foresight friend. the players take some responsibility as well!
10 years of garbage, what's the constant? It sure isn't the players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
You are such a downer. The guy made a mistake and he fixed it. I hate Sather but this was a great move.
If this is something that gets you excited, that's fine for you. Just shows how low the bar has been set in Rangerland.

Old
08-02-2010, 10:54 AM
Hanke
Tortsless Rangers

So do you guys consider Sather still a BAD gm?

We are packed with prospects with very high ceilings, young NHL players like AA, DZ, Staal, MZA, Cally and Duby. Veterns like Girardi, Rosi, Lundqvist and Gaborik.

We will send down Redden, Drury and Rosi are off the books next year.. (I hope we could resign Dru for 1.5-2 for 1 year as a 4th/3rd liner. and Rosi 2.5-3.0 for 2 years as a top 4defenseman, by that time MCI, could be ready and then let rosi goo..)

then we are a serious Contender!

In a few years we will be a top 4 team in the east consistanly.

Old
08-02-2010, 10:58 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaborik Scores View Post

We are packed with prospects with very high ceilings, young NHL players like AA, DZ, Staal, MZA, Cally and Duby. Veterns like Girardi, Rosi, Lundqvist and Gaborik.

We will send down Redden, Drury and Rosi are off the books next year.. (I hope we could resign Dru for 1.5-2 for 1 year as a 4th/3rd liner. and Rosi 2.5-3.0 for 2 years as a top 4defenseman, by that time MCI, could be ready and then let rosi goo..)

You bet your boots he's still a bad GM.
In a few years? That means it will have around 13 years to get this team back to being a contender. Assuming everything works out with the prospects. Good GMs don't take 13 years to build a contender.

I can't give the guy credit. He hasn't shown restraint this offseason — his hands have been tied by his own doing.

We laud his trades, but how many trades are made to undo his own mistakes?

08-02-2010, 11:04 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:

In a few years, we will still be pillaging the free agent market looking for elite players. We just have to hope we dont sign the WRONG ones, which has been Sather's MO. If you think everything will be great once we get the big contracts off the books and the kids come up, you're in for a rude awakening.

Old
08-02-2010, 11:05 AM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
This explains the people in here who defend Sather's miserable record.

Old
08-02-2010, 11:06 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
And some are willing to overlook misery and lower standards as to what a good job is.

Old
08-02-2010, 11:11 AM
Shadowtron

Quote:

In a few years we will be a top 4 team in the east consistanly
That's conjecture. These kids either have yet to play in the NHL or make a contribution worthy of a championship-bound team. All the born yesterday every day types NEVER factor in the actual NHL product when singing their praises to Sather. Eyes constantly cast yonder for salvation while the livestock rots beneath their noses. The Rangers squad, the team he was hired to build, has won two playoff rounds under his 10-year reign. He can stockpile all the nuts and bolts and plywood he wants. He has yet to show me he can actually use those pieces to build the kind of structure conducive to winning consistently in this league.

Old
08-02-2010, 12:10 PM
DekeR

are we at the 50% turn over rate yet? that is the established water mark for Slats, right!

Old
08-02-2010, 01:15 PM
NikC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
This explains the people in here who defend Sather's miserable record.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
And some are willing to overlook misery and lower standards as to what a good job is.
I am not defending Sather as a successful GM but he's had 2 very good offseasons imo and I refuse to call the good he is doing today bad, just because of the past. he is making reparations and i find no fault in that.

Regardless, he is trying hard to make moves to improve this team esp. in light of the unfortunate passing of Cherepanov. Sometimes things work out, and sometimes they don't.

again, hindsight = foresight

Old
08-02-2010, 01:25 PM
dtrap

Send a message via AIM to dtrap
Quote:
I am not defending Sather as a successful GM but he's had 2 very good offseasons imo and I refuse to call the good he is doing today bad, just because of the past. he is making reparations and i find no fault in that.

Regardless, he is trying hard to make moves to improve this team esp. in light of the unfortunate passing of Cherepanov. Sometimes things work out, and sometimes they don't.

Good post. I think you have to isolate the last two off-seasons and judge them separately from the two before that.

You can't judge the last two years by lumping them in with the past. It would be like saying Drury has never been a good player just because he has had a rough go in New York. (Then again that might be a bad example with this crew )

Old
08-02-2010, 01:29 PM
NikC

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrap View Post
Good post. I think you have to isolate the last two off-seasons and judge them separately from the two before that.

You can't judge the last two years by lumping them in with the past. It would be like saying Drury has never been a good player just because he has had a rough go in New York. (Then again that might be a bad example with this crew )
thank you. you have to move forward. Although there is much to be proven, there is alot to be excited about going forward.

Old
08-02-2010, 01:50 PM
Jersey Girl

Quote:

Signing Brashear = very good off-season? No wonder we never get anywhere.

Oh, and before you accuse me of working in hindsight...I was cricitical of the Brashear signing THE DAY IT HAPPENED.

Old
08-02-2010, 01:52 PM
msv957

Sather has built a team with a real good mix of quality NHL veterans and some
quality young NHL players... It's a good mix while he also has stacked the prospect cupboard with some good prospects in the pipeline for the future...

Now.. it is up to the players to perform and let things evolve... The talent is there on this roster.. I am sure Sather will keep on tweaking things here and there also.

Sather tried to build the Rangers in the beginning with UFA's and big
name signings which seemed to not work out.... The past few years
Sather went back to what made him a real good GM which is drafting,
building up the farm system and making great trades...

Old
08-02-2010, 01:55 PM
Rangers2319

my bet is that if it wasnt for sather being so good at trades he would have been out of here a long time ago

Closed Thread