HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Alexei Ponikarovsky signs 1 year, 3.2M cap hit deal with Kings

Closed Thread

Old
07-27-2010, 06:40 PM
no name

vCash: 500
Not a bad idea for one year. If things go bad I'm sure we can trade him away for a chip. I do have a feeling he's going to get hazed around here though.

Old
07-27-2010, 06:45 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by no name View Post
Not a bad idea for one year. If things go bad I'm sure we can trade him away for a chip. I do have a feeling he's going to get hazed around here though.
As long as Poni scores on his first break away, everyone will forget about Frolov.

Old
07-27-2010, 06:48 PM
Chazz Reinhold

http://lakingsinsider.com/2010/07/27...arovsky-stuff/

Quote:
– The Kings liked Ponikarovsky last year and went after him before he was traded to Pittsburgh.

– The belief is that Ponikarovsky has the potential to fill that third-line left-wing role, alongside Handzus and Simmonds. Lombardi described him as being a stronger skater than Frolov, but perhaps less skilled with the puck.

– Lombardi said he talked to Alexander Frolov shortly after the (now-contested) Kovalchuk signing with New Jersey, but that it seemed clear that Frolov was interested in moving on.

– Speaking of moving on, Lombardi said he’s not keen on waiting to see how the Kovalchuk drama plays out, and that he is mulling one trade option in his mind. For obvious reasons, he didn’t disclose the player.

Old
07-27-2010, 06:50 PM
Shellz

Kaberle?

Old
07-27-2010, 06:50 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellz View Post
Kaberle?
Me thinks not.

Old
07-27-2010, 06:51 PM
The Judge

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeMeck View Post
It improves the team, that is all I care about.

I could care less if AEG has to pay the guy to play on the 4th line if he struggles.

We are better off because of it. Players signing these types of contracts always seem to bounce back. The guy has ALOT to prove to everyone.

He has the skill set to play on line 1 or 3. There is no long-term risk, and it's not like the team is any worse because of it.

He is a better option than Parse in the top 6 IMO.
Until we don't make the playoffs AGAIN. Oops I forgot it doesn't matter right because we are way ahead of schedule right?

And after not making the playoffs again this year which I feel a lot of fans are used to it LOOSING TOO LONG.

Reminds me of the movie - Mighty Ducks Part One - when they got blown out on their first game with their new coach.
- The goalie sad "it's okay coach, we are used to it."

Old
07-27-2010, 06:52 PM
Shellz

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
Me thinks not.
Maybe not. Just a thought though. I would like it to be a top winger to play with Kopitar though.

Old
07-27-2010, 06:52 PM
The Judge

Quote:
Kaberle?
No please....

Old
07-27-2010, 06:53 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Maybe not. Just a thought though. I would like it to be a top winger to play with Kopitar though.
Me thinks so.

Old
07-27-2010, 06:53 PM
santiclaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
So you think Ponikarovsky is the same player or is better than Frolov? Why the use of the arbitrary statistic? I'm not exactly sure what point you are trying to make. Frolov is more than likely the better player. I've seen him play more but most of the Leafs fans seem to agree with that. I think PP goals count on the scoreboard don't they?
No, I think Frolov is the better player, but the point is that he's not that much better. By the way some people are reacting, you would think we just got rid of Kopitar and replaced him with Colby Armstrong.

Even-strength goals are hardly an arbitrary statistic, they are the "harder" goals to get, and a particularly relevant stat when one player enjoys more PP time than another. If you want to look at more recent stats, Frolov's and Ponikarovsky's are damn near identical in goals and assists over the last two years. Both are good possession forwards who are not going to run over people, both are pretty good defensive players.

Doesn't mean I wouldn't rather still have Frolov.

Old
07-27-2010, 06:54 PM
Omni Owl
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
Me thinks so.
Agreed.

Poni should fare well with Zeus. I'm surprised he was brought in to fill the 3rd line LW spot though, I always figured Richardson would play there.

Old
07-27-2010, 06:56 PM
SuperAlmeida

What about Moeller or Loki on the 2nd LW?

Old
07-27-2010, 06:58 PM
SuperAlmeida

So we'll keep Simmonds.

Old
07-27-2010, 07:01 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperAlmeida View Post
So we'll keep Simmonds.
Maybe.

Clifford has his eye on Simmond's role.

Old
07-27-2010, 07:06 PM
Chazz Reinhold

http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angele...ory?id=5414883

Quote:
"I hope it's going to be a long-term relationship after one year," Ponikarovsky said. "This was the first time I ever experienced the free agency process, and so it was both exciting and tough. I'm happy it's over, and that I know the team I'm going to be playing for next season. It's a young team playing great hockey. I've followed the team, how they play and where they are at, so I know it's going to be an exciting year."
Quote:
"I'm 6-foot-4 and 230 pounds, and I know what my game is," Ponikarovsky said. "I have to use my size and basically go hard to the net -- take the puck there, protect the puck in the corners and finish my checks, all the basic stuff that a guy my size has to do, along with scoring some goals and helping my team win."
Quote:
Los Angeles also has discussed trades for a top scorer with several teams.

Old
07-27-2010, 07:06 PM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

... It's a downgrade from Frolov, but Ponikarovsky is a solid enough player. He is what he is, he'll probably get the Kings 20 goals and 40-45 points shuttling between the second and third lines. I'd like to see Ponikarovsky playing alongside Handzus and Williams on a third line. I think Simmonds is ready to move up into the top six, and join Smyth, Kopitar, Brown, and Stoll. It would be nice to see an acquisition for a REAL top six player to round things out, but in all likelihood a prospect will be moved into that spot, or the Kings are going to ask Williams or Ponikarovsky to do more than they're capable of doing.

Old
07-27-2010, 07:08 PM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicker View Post
Fro's and Poni's last two season stats are nearly identical, so I look at this as a slightly lateral move. It's a one year deal, and that's for the best. Still leaves DL with plenty of options going into this season and the next.
Its a trade off, although not a trade. One enigmatic Russian for one inconsistent Ukrainian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goallum View Post
The only intangible that makes Ponikarovsky more palatable to the Kings management than Frolov has nothing to do with anything taking place on an ice sheet.
BINGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFKingshomer View Post
He's decent on the cycle but soft for his size.
Let me guess: Poloaf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings man 4 life View Post
This. This is a bridge player till another player DL may want gets on the market or one of the kids can step up. I'm down with it.
"Have you seen the Bridge?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by santiclaws View Post
No, I think Frolov is the better player, but the point is that he's not that much better. By the way some people are reacting, you would think we just got rid of Kopitar and replaced him with Colby Armstrong.

First part is right second not so much. Frolov is clearly the better player. Off ice intangibles are at play here.

Knowing the interchangability of lines 2 and 3 in the TM system, you could say this is our top six winger acquisition of the off-season, but its just a bridge to replace Frolov.
Im Ok with it because it was clear Frolov would not be INVITED back, but dfor the same dollars I'd rather see #24 in a kings uniform still.

Old
07-27-2010, 07:15 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by santiclaws View Post

Even-strength goals are hardly an arbitrary statistic, they are the "harder" goals to get, and a particularly relevant stat when one player enjoys more PP time than another. If you want to look at more recent stats, Frolov's and Ponikarovsky's are damn near identical in goals and assists over the last two years. Both are good possession forwards who are not going to run over people, both are pretty good defensive players.

Ok fair enough. I agree that the downgrade is marginal but I haven't watched Ponikarovsky a ton but I have watched him. For some reason I watch a lot of Leafs games. I just hink it is because they are the 4pm game on Saturdays usually which is convenient for me.

I just get annoyed when people pull out these arbitrary stats to make their case. Anyone can put some stats together to make their case if they try hard enough.

All I know is the guy is noticably tall on the ice. He looks huge out there.

Old
07-27-2010, 07:36 PM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

Signed for .2 more than Frolov.

Days of our Lives.

Old
07-27-2010, 07:38 PM
Live in the Now
YNWA

Awards:
What's better, 200,000 in cap space or no player?

Old
07-27-2010, 07:43 PM
Johnny Utah

Here is a good question, would Modin been a better option? Poni was a scratch in the playoffs and Modin played every game for us and had big goals...

Old
07-27-2010, 07:47 PM
Pucknut50

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Judge View Post
Until we don't make the playoffs AGAIN. Oops I forgot it doesn't matter right because we are way ahead of schedule right?

And after not making the playoffs again this year which I feel a lot of fans are used to it LOOSING TOO LONG.

Reminds me of the movie - Mighty Ducks Part One - when they got blown out on their first game with their new coach.
- The goalie sad "it's okay coach, we are used to it."

Why would you think we won't make the playoffs? We have the same team (Frolov is gone but hopefully Williams can play at least 70 games and Poni is no scrub) Doughty, JJ, Parse, Simmonds, Kopitar, Richardson, and Quick should all be better, plus if we can get a Defenseman and maybe a 2nd line center we are looking good. Even if we don't get a 2nd line center we are still more than capable of getting 100 points. Stanley Cup contenders? Probably not but we have a good team.

I for one are looking forward to one of the young guys taking a firm hold of top six forward and top 4 defensemen.

Schenn, Loki, Moller, Voinov, Hickey, Martinez, Franzen, Clifford, can make an impact this year. Lets see who steps up.

Old
07-27-2010, 08:41 PM
bral
Go Kings!

Poni might not be as good as Frolov but he's more of a team player. I was surprised how he played for Pits in the playoffs, hopefully he gels with the Kings and becomes a good fit here. He's a good player don't make him be Frolov.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjnauJQaIq4

Old
07-27-2010, 08:46 PM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

Love the signing, for only 1 year, so the cap doesnt bother us in the future. Fills the gap left by Frolov, and now we still have cap space to sign a #4 dman.

Old
07-27-2010, 08:49 PM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brando View Post
Poni might not be as good as Frolov but he's more of a team player.
... Yay for making up things I guess

Closed Thread