HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Research is important

Closed Thread

Old
05-30-2004, 10:24 AM
degroat*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by purple_heart
In order for the league and the players to work profitably (for both sides), 20 of the 30 teams cannot be losing money. With the average salary at $1.7 million in the NHL and the players getting 70% of the revenues, it has reached a very serious point for the owners (as a group).
We all know this, but to put all the blame on the owners is ridiculous. You don't think that they've entered every CBA negotiations wanting some sort of a cap, do you? The owners got the best deal that they could.

Old
05-30-2004, 09:51 PM
topshelf331

Send a message via ICQ to topshelf331 Send a message via Yahoo to topshelf331
One thing i think that could greatly spread the word on hockey is, a hockey channel in the states. It could be sponsered through a minimal service charge on USHL, NCAA, ECHL, AHL, NHL (basically all major venues in the states) ticket sales. Something like a quarter or 50 cents per ticket(depending on how big the venue is) would shell out alot of money. SOme of the money from USA hockey insurance could go towrds it. USA hockey could run the programming. Just show various shows and games(it wouldnt really matter if they were all live) troughout the day featuring various prospects. Even squeeze in important CHL games with US born players if they can get the licensing.

I dont know maybe im just dreaming and the funding required would be too large.

Old
05-30-2004, 10:20 PM
CuSa_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by topshelf331
One thing i think that could greatly spread the word on hockey is, a hockey channel in the states. It could be sponsered through a minimal service charge on USHL, NCAA, ECHL, AHL, NHL (basically all major venues in the states) ticket sales. Something like a quarter or 50 cents per ticket(depending on how big the venue is) would shell out alot of money. SOme of the money from USA hockey insurance could go towrds it. USA hockey could run the programming. Just show various shows and games(it wouldnt really matter if they were all live) troughout the day featuring various prospects. Even squeeze in important CHL games with US born players if they can get the licensing.

I dont know maybe im just dreaming and the funding required would be too large.
Great idea, however there would have to be a lot of cooperation among quite a bit of different companies. Some wouldn't recieve instant profits. Therefor this scenerio is unlikely. Unfortunately the people running most of the aforementioned "programs" care more about money than the good of the game.

Old
05-30-2004, 10:45 PM
Senor Rational

Send a message via AIM to Senor Rational
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuSa_1

I know this is a whole new can of worms, but the NHL also needs to help interest in the "Frozen Four" or college hockey in general. There's a lot of work to be done and Bettman just isn't the guy.
Id love to see more am. hockey on the air. A little off topic, but nonetheless important to hockeys future. Why doesnt espn or fsn braodcast jr. games and college games? Ive never seen a jr. game on tv nor any college game except the frozen four.

Old
05-30-2004, 11:04 PM
CuSa_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senor Rational
Id love to see more am. hockey on the air. A little off topic, but nonetheless important to hockeys future. Why doesnt espn or fsn braodcast jr. games and college games? Ive never seen a jr. game on tv nor any college game except the frozen four.

Because they'll lose money.

People (hockey fans in this instance) are all talk.

Many are calling for more hockey to be shown on TV, yet they don't watch the SCF. I'm not saying that you should have to watch something you don't want to, just to get something else. However that's the way our society works. Not until there appears to be interest in hockey will more games be shown, however (like the chicken/egg) interest won't increase until more hockey is shown.

EDIT: I didn't mean to imply that all hockey fans are all talk.

Old
05-31-2004, 12:22 AM
Senor Rational

Send a message via AIM to Senor Rational
Why not have a PP view thing, as they do with center ice? Id pay 200 or so dollars to see some good amatuer hockey....not saying they should show all/every game im saying show the good rivalries and show jr playoff games, etc...

Old
05-31-2004, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuSa_1
Because they'll lose money....(rest snipped)
NCAA hockey is on here in New England...mostly Hockey East but there is some ECAC too.

Old
05-31-2004, 02:52 PM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by 210
NCAA hockey is on here in New England...mostly Hockey East but there is some ECAC too.

I envy you. I wish they'd televise CCHA and WCHA games here in the Upper Midwest. I guarantee if Wisconsin's basketball team had the history and success that the hockey team does, the local channels would be all over them like hair on a gorilla...

Have you ever gotten to see Dartmouth (ECAC) play on the tube, and if so, do you have any observations about Lee Stempniak?

Thanks.

Old
05-31-2004, 05:22 PM

I didn't see Dartmouth this season...

Old
06-04-2004, 09:29 AM
degroat*

Amazingly enough, ESPN did an article on the NHL Combine...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/columns/story?id=1812736

Closed Thread