HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Shero?? Frolov was had for well undervalue!

Closed Thread

Old
07-27-2010, 03:17 PM
Jedi Pengu*

vCash: 500
Shero?? Frolov was had for well undervalue!

Did Ray drop the ball on this one or what? I feel that Frolov is at the very least a 4-5 million dollar player. He's a PPG player with Sid or Geno guaranteed. I can't believe that Sather actually did something better than our King Shero. Am I the only one who feels this way, because I thought for sure there would be an uproar on our boards after the Rangers signing. I mean c'mon $3 million on a 1 year deal for a 1st line winger, jesus, what a mistake. You'd have to think he'd rather sign with us that the Rags. Maybe Shero did take a run at him and this is all moot, but I haven't heard anything. What do you guys think?

Old
07-27-2010, 03:19 PM
pixiesfanyo

Living in LA the past couple years I've been watching Frolov and in ways I certainly loved him, but judging by the hate Pittsburgh has for Poni its better we didn't invest in a player like Fro. Poni was a better fit for our system of intense forechecking, and dirty goals and look how he turned out. The Kings play a similar style with more defensive responsibility and Fro' was constantly sat and put on the third line due to his lack of working in the system. In all honesty we should just roll with the roster we have now and make adjustments throughout the season. If we can get an awesome winger on the cheap through trades I guess we could try that, but why not let the farm get some experience and cruise to another 4th seed?

Old
07-27-2010, 03:20 PM
Amanda71

Send a message via MSN to Amanda71
I think he addressed our biggest problem, which was defense, and made the smart moves. Yes, we have bad wingers for our top players in Sid and Geno, but scoring wasn't the hot issue in comparison to our defensive problems. Frolov would've been welcome, but I think we'll see better results with our amped defense than we would with new winger.

Old
07-27-2010, 03:23 PM
shureshot66
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi Pengu View Post
Did Ray drop the ball on this one or what? I feel that Frolov is at the very least a 4-5 million dollar player. He's a PPG player with Sid or Geno guaranteed. I can't believe that Sather actually did something better than our King Shero. Am I the only one who feels this way, because I thought for sure there would be an uproar on our boards after the Rangers signing. I mean c'mon $3 million on a 1 year deal for a 1st line winger, jesus, what a mistake. You'd have to think he'd rather sign with us that the Rags. Maybe Shero did take a run at him and this is all moot, but I haven't heard anything. What do you guys think?
the penguins don't have $3 million in cap space.

Old
07-27-2010, 03:26 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by shureshot66 View Post
Good to know at least one member here can do math.

Old
07-27-2010, 03:26 PM
regard

Whoa settle down.
Not the end of the world none of us know the details and we would have to hurt our roster in other places for one year of a 3 mill winger.

Also lets be careful where were throwing around the "PPG Player" term.

Old
07-27-2010, 03:29 PM
Tafkak

Send a message via AIM to Tafkak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
What is this math thing you speak of?

Old
07-27-2010, 03:32 PM
Jedi Pengu*

Quote:
Umm... You can always make room / cap space. Just so you know, if we signed Frolov, we'd have to make room for him on the roster anyway and that would easily have given us the 3 million in cap. Glad to enlighten you!

Old
07-27-2010, 03:33 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Umm... You can always make room / cap space. Just so you know, if we signed Frolov, we'd have to make room for him on the roster anyway and that would easily have given us the 3 million in cap. Glad to enlighten you!
We can just send Redden down to the minors.

Old
07-27-2010, 03:34 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniformGuru View Post
What is this math thing you speak of?
Quote:

Not trying to be rude, but people seriously can't take the time to look at our cap situation before asking/claiming we dropped the ball when we didn't have the cap room to sign the player anyway? And no, I don't want to hear how we can just trade this guy and that guy to free cap room. Too much imagination running wild with those posts.

Old
07-27-2010, 03:34 PM
Jedi Pengu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiesfanyo View Post
Living in LA the past couple years I've been watching Frolov and in ways I certainly loved him, but judging by the hate Pittsburgh has for Poni its better we didn't invest in a player like Fro. Poni was a better fit for our system of intense forechecking, and dirty goals and look how he turned out. The Kings play a similar style with more defensive responsibility and Fro' was constantly sat and put on the third line due to his lack of working in the system. In all honesty we should just roll with the roster we have now and make adjustments throughout the season. If we can get an awesome winger on the cheap through trades I guess we could try that, but why not let the farm get some experience and cruise to another 4th seed?
I agree that letting the younger players in the system get NHL minutes will help in the long run. But, I just don't think a player like Frolov will come around for that cheap anytime soon. He also is good defensively and I think the Kings ruined his confidence.

Old
07-27-2010, 03:37 PM
Ugene Malkin
GOING FOR DRUNK

Quote:
Math also works using the minus, meaning make room.

Not that hard, its been done before.

I won't get into an argument over it, but there are ways, and It's sad we will have to probably watch play stand still with the "Guerin" effect, once again.

Old
07-27-2010, 03:39 PM
Jedi Pengu*

Quote:

Not trying to be rude, but people seriously can't take the time to look at our cap situation before asking/claiming we dropped the ball when we didn't have the cap room to sign the player anyway? And no, I don't want to hear how we can just trade this guy and that guy to free cap room. Too much imagination running wild with those posts.
I'm on cap geek almost everyday Hook, so please before you run your mouth, maybe ask before you open it. Oh look, Vancouver, Chicago, and New Jersey (pending) are over the cap!!! Guess in your world they can't play this year, because there must be no possible way to free up cash. I guess I should have specified that Dupuis would essentially have to go to make room for Frolov. Is that better, do you understand what I'm saying now??

Old
07-27-2010, 03:39 PM
Gooch

Shero put himself put himself into the corner with his higher than it should be contract for Letang and his splurging on UFA defensemen leaving us with somewhere like 1.5 mill of space to work with and only 1 top 6 winger on the roster.

People can stroke his ego all they want but it's hard to deny that we frankly have the worst wingers in the league, and having a reincarnated mid 90's Hasek in net wouldnt of won that Montreal series with the pathetic amount of scoring that this team was able to muster.

Frolov shouldve been the exact kind of guy targeted for a contract this off season, instead he'll just opt to throw away more draft picks and prospects on a rental who will be worse than Frolov and will be gone by the summer and we'll be in the same boat again but with less.

Old
07-27-2010, 03:43 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
I'm on cap geek almost everyday Hook, so please before you run your mouth, maybe ask before you open it. Oh look, Vancouver, Chicago, and New Jersey (pending) are over the cap!!! Guess in your world they can't play this year, because there must be no possible way to free up cash. I guess I should have specified that Dupuis would essentially have to go to make room for Frolov. Is that better, do you understand what I'm saying now??
More imagination running wild.

I'd love to have Frolov, but I'm just realistic and realistically, Dupuis is not going anywhere. No guarantee anyone would even take him and rid us of that cap hit anyway. The markets been slow or worse for better players than him in UFA this year.

Old
07-27-2010, 03:43 PM
Jedi Pengu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Martin View Post
Math also works using the minus, meaning make room.

Not that hard, its been done before.

I won't get into an argument over it, but there are ways, and It's sad we will have to probably watch play stand still with the "Guerin" effect, once again.
Yes, unfortunately this is what I would like to avoid. I just think that a deal with Frolov (1 year being key), to see how he fits, would have put us over the top. I still think Shero did a great job this summer and defense was our main killer last year, but it's just hard to see the Rangers pick up a player we desperately need for that kind of price tag. I mean who would you rather have Colby Armstrong or Alex Frolov?? Both make 3 million; damn amazing if you ask me.

Old
07-27-2010, 03:47 PM
wej20

I could see Shero being able to make enough room for a 2 million dollar guy but 3 million requires too much movement.

Old
07-27-2010, 03:49 PM
Jedi Pengu*

Quote:

I'd love to have Frolov, but I'm just realistic and realistically, Dupuis is not going anywhere. No guarantee anyone would even take him and rid us of that cap hit anyway. The markets been slow or worse for better players than him in UFA this year.
Believe what you want man, but Dupuis could easily be traded. Better players yes, high cap as well, or do you even check players salary hits? Dupes only makes $1.4 million. He'd be an asset for many teams, realistically speaking.

Old
07-27-2010, 03:50 PM
Jedi Pengu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
I could see Shero being able to make enough room for a 2 million dollar guy but 3 million requires too much movement.
We have 2.174 million in cap space now.

Old
07-27-2010, 03:56 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Guys, we could trade Staal & Letang and sign Kovalchuk! Did we drop the ball not doing trying to do that this summer?!?!

Seriously, I think UFA this summer has shown that teams can't or don't want to add salary, so I don't think an expensive bottom 6 player like Dupuis is that attractive as a salary dump in this down market.

Old
07-27-2010, 03:59 PM
Tender Rip
#Haz supa line mates

Quote:

That isn't 'being realistic'. That's being pig headed about making changes. Imagine for a second that there was a player you were really convinced could be a difference maker for the Pens (you culd be opposed to the Frolov idea for instance, but we're talking the principle here), who could conceivably be signed in free agency at a discount. If you can do that - you go ahead and do it, and then deal with the cap-fitting later. The new player costs no assets to take in, and you can get an asset back for the guy you let go to make it happen. Something that wouldn't hurt for us at all. In the worst case scenario, you get a guy like for instance Dupuis claimed by another team, or you see him in Wilkes Barre until further notice.

Frolov at 3 million for one year is a steal - no matter which way you slice it.

Old
07-27-2010, 04:02 PM
wej20

Quote:
We have 2.174 million in cap space now.
No we don't once you factor in the 7th dman, 13th forward and cap space left for the deadline. Even if we moved Dupuis and Talbot that wouldn't leave us with enough wiggle room (800k - 1million is roughly what we need).

Old
07-27-2010, 04:03 PM
Malkin4Top6Wingerz
Can you like, shutup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
People can stroke his ego all they want but it's hard to deny that we frankly have the worst wingers in the league, and having a reincarnated mid 90's Hasek in net wouldnt of won that Montreal series with the pathetic amount of scoring that this team was able to muster.
Considering we lost in 7 games in a series where our goaltender got thoroughly outplayed I would imagine the most dominant goaltender of all time could have made a difference.

Old
07-27-2010, 04:15 PM
sina220*

Quote:
Originally Posted by shureshot66 View Post
But they can go over by 10% until Oct 1. Could've made the signing and rid themselves of someone in the next 2 months.

We've got 2.1 mil in space with a full 20 man team iced, wouldn't have been that hard to fit, esp when compared to situations in Chicago, Van, and Jersey. Would have to lose Gogo, Dupuis or Talbot.

But I'm not a fan of doing it, just wanted to point out it's possible. Frolov was the winger I wanted, but not until after we signed someone on D, and def not after we got both Martin and Michalek.

Old
07-27-2010, 04:17 PM
SlyGuy

Don't forget people, sometimes the player wants to play in certain places. New York is a pretty amazing city. Perhaps he had his heart set on living there. If that's the case, not much Shero can do...

Closed Thread