HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2003 Draft: Proof of why Kostitsyn wasn't actually a bad pick

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-28-2010, 09:42 AM
  #26
montreal
Go Habs Go
 
montreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Sark
Posts: 23,683
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMFAO View Post
Kostitsyn was a terrible pick
I wouldn't say terrible. To me terrible is someone that is a bust. Going into last season Kostitsyn averager 24.5 goals in his first two full seasons. Granted I can understand why people don't like him and hate the pick, but I don't see how he can be called terrible. Granted he stunk this year so people with short memories will hate him even more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketlives View Post
With the benefit of hindsight, give the Habs Parize and Bergeron in 2003 instead of Kostitsyn and Urquhart, and we'd already have our 25th Cup.
If the Habs had drafted Hossa instead of Ward, if the Habs had drafted Gags instead of Chewy, etc.. etc... etc....

Every team can put a list like this together. I really doubt we win a cup just because we draft Parize and Bergeron instead of Kostitsyn/Urquhart.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 09:51 AM
  #27
should2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 41
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBonus View Post
Koivu was definitely a good pick, but as hard as it is to believe, he wasn't drafted in the last 15 years. Koivu was the 1st player we drafted after our last Stanley Cup, back in 1993.
wow ... so he really was the jinx

should2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 10:21 AM
  #28
Joe Cole
Registered User
 
Joe Cole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Montreal
Posts: 3,204
vCash: 500
Your analysis is so full of holes it is not worth going any further.

Coulda, woulda, shoulda....

get over it, the Habs picked him.

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 10:27 AM
  #29
Lucius
Registered User
 
Lucius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Halifax, NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,705
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cole View Post
Your analysis is so full of holes it is not worth going any further.

Coulda, woulda, shoulda....

get over it, the Habs picked him.
Assuming you're responding to me... ummm.. you do realize I was defending the pick, not questioning it?

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 10:32 AM
  #30
Joe Cole
Registered User
 
Joe Cole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Montreal
Posts: 3,204
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
Assuming you're responding to me... ummm.. you do realize I was defending the pick, not questioning it?
I know, and I ask you this, does it matter?

Seriously, you analysis is so completely subjective it has little value, and to try to defend the pick at all is simply feeding the trolls.

The truth of the matter is that he is still a Hab. The team has to do what it needs to, to get results out of him. Whether on the ice, or in a trade or other player movement.

I realize that a forum is a place to kick around ideas and opinion but... I just feel that this way of going about it accomplishes nothing and does little to shed new light on an already over done subject.

There is not an anti- "freres K" person on this forum who will have his mind changed by your "data".

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 10:34 AM
  #31
neofury*
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal, PQ
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,277
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Ellerection View Post
Now, even I've been critical of Price.. Perhaps too critical.

But given the fact that Price is a goaltender and he's still very young, he still has 2-3 seasons to prove his worth so let's not get off calling him a bad pick yet. He still had respectable numbers last year, Halak was just better.

You may be right, but even I am not ready to call Price a bad pick.
Are you ready to l2 read? Just kidding, but re-read his post, he's saying Price could be the next "Koivu pick". In other words a solid pick, the opposite of what you interpreted he said.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 10:46 AM
  #32
neofury*
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal, PQ
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,277
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cole View Post
I know, and I ask you this, does it matter?

Seriously, you analysis is so completely subjective it has little value, and to try to defend the pick at all is simply feeding the trolls.

The truth of the matter is that he is still a Hab. The team has to do what it needs to, to get results out of him. Whether on the ice, or in a trade or other player movement.

I realize that a forum is a place to kick around ideas and opinion but... I just feel that this way of going about it accomplishes nothing and does little to shed new light on an already over done subject.

There is not an anti- "freres K" person on this forum who will have his mind changed by your "data".
That may very well be your opinion but to those of us who don't mind discussing it your post is pretty well more pointless than the thread. (Using your standard of course)

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 11:05 AM
  #33
Habitants
Registered User
 
Habitants's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,181
vCash: 500
FINALLY! thank you for going to all that work! this is the truth!

but unfortunately ppl will never stop *****ing about this type of thing.

Habitants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 11:32 AM
  #34
Canadian_Brewtality
Registered User
 
Canadian_Brewtality's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,822
vCash: 500
haha these posts never get old

no matter how you slice it, in the end, there were possibly 15-20 other players who could have served the canadiens alot better.

Kostitsyn isnt a bad player, but for this draft, looking back 7 years later it just isnt a good pick! maybe it was then, maybe they had the steal of the draft in 2003, but right now as it stands, it is a blunder, no matter how you want to justify it.

Other teams made worse mistakes passing up certain players, but does not make it any better at the end of the day.

Canadian_Brewtality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 12:11 PM
  #35
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis
 
Blind Gardien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Four Winds Bar
Country: France
Posts: 19,841
vCash: 500
Kostitsyn still has time to tip the balance on the argument more decisively. Well, maybe a year. Or he could change of the complexion of it if he continues to be just decent with us, then explodes somewhere down the line with another team. It was a decent pick. You can't hit the home run every time out. The problem for Habs fans is that we NEVER seem to hit the home run, so everybody dwells excessively on each "ok" pick, as well as on the busts, whilst watching the occasional long ball launched by other teams. And ignoring that most of them had lots of "ok" picks and busts too. Our time will come... won't it...?

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 12:32 PM
  #36
Lucius
Registered User
 
Lucius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Halifax, NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,705
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Kostitsyn still has time to tip the balance on the argument more decisively. Well, maybe a year. Or he could change of the complexion of it if he continues to be just decent with us, then explodes somewhere down the line with another team. It was a decent pick. You can't hit the home run every time out. The problem for Habs fans is that we NEVER seem to hit the home run, so everybody dwells excessively on each "ok" pick, as well as on the busts, whilst watching the occasional long ball launched by other teams. And ignoring that most of them had lots of "ok" picks and busts too. Our time will come... won't it...?
Price and Subban could very easily be home runs.

...and as this list points out, we hit a home run in that same draft (Halak).

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 12:47 PM
  #37
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis
 
Blind Gardien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Four Winds Bar
Country: France
Posts: 19,841
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
Price and Subban could very easily be home runs.

...and as this list points out, we hit a home run in that same draft (Halak).
Ok, we don't hit home runs with our 1st. Standard ones... 5th overall isn't the same. Markov too, further back, but still big on the team. People overlook that too, in all the publicity that surrounds the 1st picks.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 01:05 PM
  #38
Ozymandias
#firetherrien
 
Ozymandias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hockey Mecca
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,438
vCash: 500
Seriously, in the next 5 years, that list for the 2003 draft will change again, as all those players are 24-25 and haven't hit their prime yet. Let's see after they hit their prime.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 01:10 PM
  #39
Lucius
Registered User
 
Lucius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Halifax, NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,705
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Ok, we don't hit home runs with our 1st. Standard ones... 5th overall isn't the same. Markov too, further back, but still big on the team. People overlook that too, in all the publicity that surrounds the 1st picks.
Given we could have had Brule or Pouliot, based on who was around that pick... I think 5th still counts as a home run.

Heck, looking at 2003, Fleury would be a mid-round pick based on performance since. Sometimes even #1 isn't a slam dunk.

The Price pick took balls and so far so good on it.

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 01:20 PM
  #40
JayBee*
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,652
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBonus View Post
Koivu was definitely a good pick, but as hard as it is to believe, he wasn't drafted in the last 15 years. Koivu was the 1st player we drafted after our last Stanley Cup, back in 1993.
lol, that's true...makes it even worse.

JayBee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 01:37 PM
  #41
Montreal Shadow
Registered User
 
Montreal Shadow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,989
vCash: 500
Kostitsyin scored 53 pts once along with 26 goals. If he can be a consistent 25-30 goals/60-65pts scorer I'll be happy and I still think he can turn it around. I still have hope in him.

Montreal Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 01:38 PM
  #42
Kriss E
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 25,050
vCash: 500
I think the OP was just bored and came up with that.
I don't understand how you really want to use that as an argument though.

Bottom line is that when you have a top 10 pick, you shouldn't really be arguing 7years after the draft why he actually wasn't a bad pick especially not in a deep draft like that.

A.Ko isn't a bust, he just doesn't have that big impact we all wish he'd have.
That being said, he still has a chance to step up. This is the first year he won't have his younger bro as a distraction and hopefully that will be a huge factor. This is a make or break year for him though.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 02:22 PM
  #43
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey
 
BenchBrawl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 9,360
vCash: 500
I never get the hate for Andrei Kostitsyn.
He was a good pick for where he was drafted and it's only been 3 years for him in the NHL.
I understand he's got all the talent in the world and could produce more but sometimes it takes time to be elite in the NHL.It's like people hate him because Carter Getzlaf and company are becoming great player but it's not the norm to have that much 1st rounder turning into star in one single draft.It's just variance.That doesn't make the pick bad especially since everyone agree the guy is more talented than a lot of star that came out of this draft.His physical game is also tremendously underrated , if i'm a defender I don't want this guy near me when i'm skating toward the corners , he's dangerous and deliver some nasty ( even cheap sometimes ) hits.

BenchBrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 02:23 PM
  #44
InglewoodJack
Registered User
 
InglewoodJack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Châteauguay
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,694
vCash: 500
I think it just comes down to, Kostitsyn was the right pick. I mean, Richards, Parise, Getzlaf, were not top 10 picks at the time, no way. Maybe Carter, but then again, AK was the BPA.

InglewoodJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 02:28 PM
  #45
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey
 
BenchBrawl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 9,360
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
This is a make or break year for him though.
Why???
Why not one more or two?
This potential of his is too dangerous.
I wouldnt give up on this guy until he's got 5 full seasons under his belt.
It's not like we take a gamble and trade him for something good here , his value isnt in the same galaxy as his potential so I say keep him.

BenchBrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 02:37 PM
  #46
THE HOFF
Registered User
 
THE HOFF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,182
vCash: 500
if all the players on that list would have had the number of lives A.kos had in mtl, it would look worst than what it is right now.

ie: pouillot ... give him a chance to play that amount of games next to plekanec, pp time, and I'm pretty sure he would be on par with A.kos. ... thats just one example.

what makes A.kos a good or a bad pick is what he does from here on to his next contract imho. I love the guy and hoping for a breakout year.

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 02:47 PM
  #47
Zeroknowledge*
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Facing a PC
Posts: 1,644
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
I really doubt we win a cup just because we draft Parize and Bergeron instead of Kostitsyn/Urquhart.

We would've had a much better chance making the finals

Zeroknowledge* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 02:52 PM
  #48
Kriss E
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 25,050
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReenMachine View Post
Why???
Why not one more or two?
This potential of his is too dangerous.
I wouldnt give up on this guy until he's got 5 full seasons under his belt.
It's not like we take a gamble and trade him for something good here , his value isnt in the same galaxy as his potential so I say keep him.
Because his contract comes to a conclusion at the end of the year. It will add to the nice cap space we will have.
I'm pretty sure he'll be let go if he isn't traded before season's end.

I actually like A.Ko, he's got everything to be a great offensive player. But if he doesn't step it up, we need to replace him with someone that can.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 04:11 PM
  #49
montreal
Go Habs Go
 
montreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Sark
Posts: 23,683
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeroknowledge View Post
We would've had a much better chance making the finals
Who's to say, since the flyers greatness seemed to make our offense shrivel up and hide for an entire series, maybe it wouldn't have matter much with two different players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodJack View Post
I think it just comes down to, Kostitsyn was the right pick. I mean, Richards, Parise, Getzlaf, were not top 10 picks at the time, no way. Maybe Carter, but then again, AK was the BPA.
I thought they would go for Getzlaf since we sorely needed a skilled prospect with size but I also thought they hit a home run with Kostitsyn after the U-18's he just had.

Then again I think too many direct their hate at Timmins when more of the blame should fall on our development system imo. I mean somethings not right when we lead the league in # of draft picks playing in the NHL but most of them are not with us or seem to do much better after they leave here.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 04:22 PM
  #50
Quarantesix
#Galchenyuk
 
Quarantesix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Montréal
Posts: 4,502
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Because his contract comes to a conclusion at the end of the year. It will add to the nice cap space we will have.
I'm pretty sure he'll be let go if he isn't traded before season's end.


I actually like A.Ko, he's got everything to be a great offensive player. But if he doesn't step it up, we need to replace him with someone that can.
I think it's way too soon to talk about that, let's wait and see what he will do next year. Everyone were happy after the contract we gave to Plek but 2 years ago alot of posters didn't wanting him back.

alot of things can change in a year

Quarantesix is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:11 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.