HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is Avery the odd man out?

Old
07-28-2010, 01:59 PM
MAYO

vCash: 500
Robruckus has a very valid point (actually a few). Aside from double shifting Gabby a few times, our top three lines basically got the same ice time all year round. discount the p.p. and p.k. I am talking 5 on 5 we rolled the three lines all year. Very simple, Avery is a bigger part of this team then most want to admit, and negotiations are a part of the business, doesn't mean guys will be traded or ride the pine for holding out for more money or longer terms!!!!

MAYO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 02:07 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by robruckus View Post
There's zero difference in role if the second and third lines are getting the same amount of ice time.
Ever heard of match ups? There's a huge difference in role.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 02:13 PM
ZacUSNYR

It may pain some, but Avery is a face of this franchise. He's not a 'uber star like Crosby or Ovechkin but he is a well known face of Hockey as well, there are people who do not follow hockey or care about it all, that know his name.

Personally, I enjoy watching him play and i'm a fan of his style, as long as he is in a Rangers jersey.

ZacUSNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 02:14 PM
MAYO

Match ups?!?!?!...lol..lol. Torts' idea of match up is playing our bif line vs the other teams big line...... very scientific!

Old
07-28-2010, 02:27 PM
nyr2417

I could see avery as 4th line center.

dubi-christensen-gaborik
prospal-anisimov-frolov
mza-drury-callahan
prust-avery-boogaard
weise

boyle to minors

nyr2417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 02:36 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
What exactly is Tortorella doing differently with our 2nd and 3rd lines? The players are frequently bouncing around...

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 02:36 PM
Crazyhorse30

I hope so.

Crazyhorse30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 02:45 PM
TreeSapLlama

Frolov - Anisimov - Gaborik
Dubinsky - Christensen/Prospal - MZA
Prospal/Christensen - Drury - Callahan
Prust - Avery - Boogard/Byers/Weise

I agree with everyone who says Boyle is the odd man out. We have enough PKers that we don't need him for that. He has size, but doesn't use it. 2 more points then Boogard last year in 14 more games. He is redundant.

TreeSapLlama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 02:49 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
No. he's not. Callahan and Dubinsky are more important to the rangers success than Avery is right now. The Avery of his first tenure was...that Avery is gone.
hence why i said "when hes on"...we saw it like 5 or 6 times last season...thats it.

he needs to get his head out of his ass and play like that night in and night out.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 02:58 PM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
hence why i said "when hes on"...we saw it like 5 or 6 times last season...thats it.

he needs to get his head out of his ass and play like that night in and night out.
I only remember noticing Avery when we played against Dallas last year. As of right now, that is.

That's how much of a minimal impact he had last year. Besides, he only scored goals in like 5 or 6 games, the amount you said he was noticeable. Each goal-scoring game was like a 2-goal game. At least that's how I remember it.

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 03:08 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaromir Jagr View Post
I only remember noticing Avery when we played against Dallas last year. As of right now, that is.

That's how much of a minimal impact he had last year. Besides, he only scored goals in like 5 or 6 games, the amount you said he was noticeable. Each goal-scoring game was like a 2-goal game. At least that's how I remember it.
yep.

just looked it up. he had 6 games exactly where he had more than 1 point...those are probably the 6 games im remembering lol. other than that he was mister no-show. which is pretty surprising for a guy who seems to love being the center of attention. i know ppl are going to blame Torts, but Torts has always said he wants MORE from Avery, not less.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 03:18 PM
MAYO

You name me one guy who was on his game every single night last year. that was our biggest problem, we rarely had more then four guys firing on all cylinders per night. Cally who every one says is true blue had 37 pts. in 77 games, captain Dru had 32 pts. in 77 games and Avery had 31 pts in 69 games, playing injured and amassing penalty minutes galore. Please, close this thread!

Old
07-28-2010, 03:20 PM
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
You're really, really reaching here man.

If that's the basis of the argument it should be clear that there's not much to the argument.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2417 View Post
I could see avery as 4th line center.

dubi-christensen-gaborik
prospal-anisimov-frolov
mza-drury-callahan
prust-avery-boogaard
weise

boyle to minors
This is my ideal roster. I'm not sure about line combos and they're sure to change a ton with Torts but I think these are the players who need to/will be there.

Would I love to see a Grachev make it? Yeah. I just don't see it happening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaromir Jagr View Post

This is the exact mentality that makes me question what the hell the people who don't like him/think he's overrated/want him gone are expecting.

IT'S SEAN AVERY. Like, what on earth are your expectations?

He had 20 points in 29 games when we traded for us and was a huge catalyst to the post season.

The following year he was on his way to an EXCELLENT season before injury and was on pace to pot at least 20 and 45-50 points.

08-09 was the disaster year between Dallas/Hartford/New York.

And last year he still scored 31 points in a shortened season with injuries.

What the heck do you people want from this guy? I just don't get it.

Nevermind the fact that no on seems to acknowledge what a joke the league and Torts have been since the Stars/Phaneuf debacle.

Avery was not able to play his game last year. That stemmed from ******** officials who face absolutely no recourse for thier blatant bias against the guy.

It stemmed from Torts sitting there as the biggest hypocrite talking out one side of his mouth about how he wants Avery to play his game, and then in the next breath he's berating him and benching him for taking a BS penalty that should've never been called and only was because it was Sean Avery.

I said it before, but my biggest problem was with Tortorella's hypocrisy and with the fact that he never stood up for his player.

Tortorella should've come out (and I know he did a few times, but I really wish he was more vocal and adamant about it) and say enough is enough I'm not gonna let my player get treated like this anymore.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 03:32 PM
ruckus*

Quote:
yep.

just looked it up. he had 6 games exactly where he had more than 1 point...those are probably the 6 games im remembering lol. other than that he was mister no-show. which is pretty surprising for a guy who seems to love being the center of attention. i know ppl are going to blame Torts, but Torts has always said he wants MORE from Avery, not less.

Except he was a hypocrite. He said that and then when Avery was 10 inches outside the crease and getting called for goalie interference when he's getting shoved by defenseman, Torts is the first guy berating him and sitting him at the end of the bench.

You can't have it both ways. That seems to be how Torts wants it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAYO View Post
You name me one guy who was on his game every single night last year. that was our biggest problem, we rarely had more then four guys firing on all cylinders per night. Cally who every one says is true blue had 37 pts. in 77 games, captain Dru had 32 pts. in 77 games and Avery had 31 pts in 69 games, playing injured and amassing penalty minutes galore. Please, close this thread!
Yeah it's just weird how people view players.

I really would like to have a firmer grasp on the expectations the Avery detractors actually have for him. He is a perfect bottom 6 player.

Old
07-28-2010, 03:55 PM
ZacUSNYR

Quote:

If that's the basis of the argument it should be clear that there's not much to the argument.

This is my ideal roster. I'm not sure about line combos and they're sure to change a ton with Torts but I think these are the players who need to/will be there.

This is the exact mentality that makes me question what the hell the people who don't like him/think he's overrated/want him gone are expecting.

He had 20 points in 29 games when we traded for us and was a huge catalyst to the post season.

The following year he was on his way to an EXCELLENT season before injury and was on pace to pot at least 20 and 45-50 points.

Nevermind the fact that no on seems to acknowledge what a joke the league and Torts have been since the Stars/Phaneuf debacle.

Avery was not able to play his game last year. That stemmed from ******** officials who face absolutely no recourse for thier blatant bias against the guy.

It stemmed from Torts sitting there as the biggest hypocrite talking out one side of his mouth about how he wants Avery to play his game, and then in the next breath he's berating him and benching him for taking a BS penalty that should've never been called and only was because it was Sean Avery.

I said it before, but my biggest problem was with Tortorella's hypocrisy and with the fact that he never stood up for his player.

Tortorella should've come out (and I know he did a few times, but I really wish he was more vocal and adamant about it) and say enough is enough I'm not gonna let my player get treated like this anymore.
Last time Torts stood up to the league about the officials it cost him $10k lol

ZacUSNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 03:55 PM
MAYO

Not only is Avery a perfect bottom six player, he is what Ranger hockey is about. In your face, terrorizing hockey and don't think you are coming into our building to rack up an easy 2 points mentality! And for those who don't agree that this guy sneezes on the ice and is awarded a minor while he takes two handed whacks across the face and the refs turn a blind eye. I'm surprised he hasn't gone postal on anyone.

Old
07-28-2010, 04:12 PM
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZacUSNYR View Post
Last time Torts stood up to the league about the officials it cost him $10k lol
Yeah it's unfortunate how quick all these leagues are to send out the fines even if the comments are warranted.

I just think he really needed to get to that point where he said listen enough of this. Even if he doesn't want to do it through the media and call the league himself. Maybe he did that, who knows.

It was just a difficult process with the whole thing last year. It was refreshing to hear Torts say he wanted Sean to play his game. Then it was enfuriating when he did play his game and was getting called for BS penalties. Then it was even more enfuriating when Torts would curse him out on the bench and sit him after all that, and then criticize him after the game, never acknowledge that the calls should have never been made.

Quote:
Not only is Avery a perfect bottom six player, he is what Ranger hockey is about. In your face, terrorizing hockey and don't think you are coming into our building to rack up an easy 2 points mentality! And for those who don't agree that this guy sneezes on the ice and is awarded a minor while he takes two handed whacks across the face and the refs turn a blind eye. I'm surprised he hasn't gone postal on anyone.
I wouldn't go thaaaaaaaaaaat far to say that's what Rangers hockey is all about ha. I think we can all agree we'd like it to resemble that, but for the most part it hasn't. Avery is awesome when he's on.

It's clear as day that Avery gets screwed though.

Obviously a lot of that is from reputation and what not, but to me that's inexcusable and the fact that the league turns a blind eye is embarrassing.

If officials don't like him for chirping or whatever then slap him with a misconduct and be done with it.

All this crap where he gets called for everything got old real quick last year.

The guy has to get to the front of the net, he has to wreak havoc, and every time he tried he'd get screwed by some call.

I thought Avery handled himself extremely well throughout all the garbage last year, and you're right I almost expected him to lose it, cause i know I did watching it.

That's why it frustrates me that his coach and no one really came to his aid.

I think I remember Dru saying some things but he's so mild mannered and timid that he could probably curse the officials out in his post game interview and no one at the league office would even notice.

Old
07-28-2010, 04:18 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
yep.

And Torts has been a walking contradiction since hes been here. You'll notice that soon enough.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 04:23 PM
Matteau Matteau

Quote:

I love his game/attitude/grit. I don't know why people seem to think he should go if he doesn't get 75+ pts. for us.

Matteau Matteau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 04:28 PM
Matteau Matteau

Quote:
Not only is Avery a perfect bottom six player, he is what Ranger hockey is about. In your face, terrorizing hockey and don't think you are coming into our building to rack up an easy 2 points mentality!
I'm not sure it's what we're about usually, but I sure effing love it.

And yes, opposing players can basically treat Avery like a target for stick practice and never get called. It's really aggravating.

Quote:

It's clear as day that Avery gets screwed though.

Obviously a lot of that is from reputation and what not, but to me that's inexcusable and the fact that the league turns a blind eye is embarrassing.

If officials don't like him for chirping or whatever then slap him with a misconduct and be done with it.

All this crap where he gets called for everything got old real quick last year.

The guy has to get to the front of the net, he has to wreak havoc, and every time he tried he'd get screwed by some call.

I thought Avery handled himself extremely well throughout all the garbage last year, and you're right I almost expected him to lose it, cause i know I did watching it.
Again...

I wanted to rip my hair out with the BS one way calls last year. And I promise I am not one to cry about officiating normally. It was just blatant though.

Matteau Matteau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 04:28 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Quote:
i know ppl are going to blame Torts, but Torts has always said he wants MORE from Avery, not less.
is that a serious point you're making? he wants more, not less? of course he does. the fact is, however, he's getting less.

Thirty One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 04:55 PM
MAYO

So, with the signing of Frolov we get another fancy skater who can hopefully find the back of the net. But who is going to stand up for the likes of Gabby, Fro, Vinny, MZA, EC, Dru. Cally and Dubi hold their own, but not too intimadating, Boogie man will play 4 mins a night if that, and let's be honest, his shadow can beat him in a foot race, that leaves us with Prust, and ohhhhh yaaaaa, some guy named AVERY!!!!! the same guys who think he's on the bubble and want him gone to make room for younger players are the same hypocrits that are sitting on the edge of their seats every time #16 is out there to see what is going to happen. I got news for you, the other team does the same thing every time he's out on that ice!

Old
07-28-2010, 06:00 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

I have no problem sending Avery to the 4th line if there are more talented and more important players bouncing him out.... Right now:

Prospal, Callahan, Dubinsky, MZA, Frolov, Gaborik > Avery

In terms of current or future value to the organization and all should get preference over Avery...

Last edited by wolfgaze: 07-28-2010 at 06:07 PM.
Old
07-28-2010, 06:31 PM
MAYO

Wolfgaze, That still puts him on the third line buddy and far from being fourth line material.

Old
07-28-2010, 06:37 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Wolfgaze, That still puts him on the third line buddy and far from being fourth line material.
No it doesn't.... I named the forwards who will play on the top 3 lines over Avery, all 6 of them.... I left out the Centers (Christensen, Anisimov, Drury) since Avery obviously won't be playing Center on any of the top 3 lines....