HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

1991 SCF - Penguins/North Stars - Game 6 (Raising the Cup: NHL Network)

Old
07-27-2010, 08:12 PM
HuskerTornado
Monster Snow Goon

vCash: 500
1991 SCF - Penguins/North Stars - Game 6 (Raising the Cup: NHL Network)

On NHL Network right now, just started.
The Raising the Cup series is finally to the 90s.
Game 4 of the 1992 SCF is on tomorrow at the same time.

GDT just for fun.

HuskerTornado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 08:23 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

vCash: 50
Dammit I guess that game (as well as all the Cup games yearly in their sequence) is only broadcasted for the American NHL-Network.

Here in Canada on NHL-Network they're playing game 2 of the Western Conference Quarterfinal (LA @ Vancouver)

Damn.

MetalheadPenguinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 08:28 PM
HuskerTornado
Monster Snow Goon

Haven't watched this game in some time. Murph is so young here lol

Old
07-27-2010, 10:43 PM
nTsplnk*

I'm so happy I got to see this-I was born in 1992 so this will be the first time I'm viewing atleast the clinchers of both cups

nTsplnk* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 10:54 PM
shureshot66
Global Moderator

ulfie still brags to this day about scoring the game-winner for the franchise's first stanley cup.

shureshot66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2010, 04:21 AM
HuskerTornado
Monster Snow Goon

These two shows were great, complete versions of the games and even included all of the post-game that never seems to be televised anymore.

Old
07-29-2010, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerTornado View Post
These two shows were great, complete versions of the games and even included all of the post-game that never seems to be televised anymore.
The lack of locker room content was the only sore spot for me as a fan when the Pens won the cup in 09. I understand NBC not doing it but what about NHL network or FSN.

Has anyone ever seen game 6 of 91 on Sportschannel America? Borquee must have been next to a mic because when Mario scored you can hear him say "What a goal... what an *** goal" clear as day. Pretty funny at the time.

#66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2010, 08:30 AM
Pens1566

I forgot what a dewsh bag Chelios was in that Hawks series until I watched it again last night. Wow. Then again, he's still a dewsh.

Pens1566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2010, 10:43 AM
nwpensfan

That SCF was the year I got married. I remember that day we were sitting in our apartment pretty much broke and we received a deposit back from my old apartment. So we decided to go to the old 'Sports Garden' to watch the game. We were one of first in line to get in and ended up with great seat at the bar sitting next to Joey Mullens sister (there was no doubt just by looking at her). She ended up spilling (throwing) her drink on my wife when Joe scored his second goal of game. Great memory for us.

I remember the Sport Garden was so packed and loud you could hardly talk (and that place was huge).

nwpensfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2010, 11:00 AM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pens1566 View Post
I forgot what a dewsh bag Chelios was in that Hawks series until I watched it again last night. Wow. Then again, he's still a dewsh.
QFT.

I remember a few weeks back I was watching his antics during our '92 Cup win game for the first time in years (thanks to my Penguins greatest games DVD set)....and I said to myself ""God what a ****ing puke."

Last edited by MetalheadPenguinsFan: 07-29-2010 at 06:55 PM.
MetalheadPenguinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2010, 12:06 PM
Burgs

You can watch Game 1 of the 1992 Finals in full length on Google Video:

Edit: Embedding doesn't work. Link to video.

Chicago entering the finals on an 11 game winning streak, Pens unbeaten in 7. Both goalies didn't have their best day in Game 1. And who knows how that series would've went if the Pens didn't come back to win the first one.

Burgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2010, 03:54 PM
HuskerTornado
Monster Snow Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by #66 View Post
The lack of locker room content was the only sore spot for me as a fan when the Pens won the cup in 09. I understand NBC not doing it but what about NHL network or FSN.

Has anyone ever seen game 6 of 91 on Sportschannel America? Borquee must have been next to a mic because when Mario scored you can hear him say "What a goal... what an *** goal" clear as day. Pretty funny at the time.
I agree, NBC bolted shortly after the cup presentation. I was out of town in a hotel for game 7 so I wasn't able to change to NHL Network or ESPNews to see if anyone had extra coverage, but it looks like all we got was the short locker room celebration clip on the Championship DVD.

Old
07-29-2010, 06:04 PM
Karitimes
JetsJetsJets

I came here looking to put in my two cents about OV and Max, but stumbled upon this title. Too funny, because my favorite two players all time are Casey and Palffy...other thread above. He's coming to Dallas (I wish) BTW.

As you can tell, I might have been pulling for the guys in green. That was such a memorable series; I knew we didn't stand a chance against the Pens, but it sure turned me on to the game, Casey and the Stars at a young age. I couldn't help but hop the banwagon that year...the worst team to ever make it to the Cup Finals...68 points!! Congrats again though, the better team certainly one.

Karitimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2010, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Casey 91 View Post
I came here looking to put in my two cents about OV and Max, but stumbled upon this title. Too funny, because my favorite two players all time are Casey and Palffy...other thread above. He's coming to Dallas (I wish) BTW.

As you can tell, I might have been pulling for the guys in green. That was such a memorable series; I knew we didn't stand a chance against the Pens, but it sure turned me on to the game, Casey and the Stars at a young age. I couldn't help but hop the banwagon that year...the worst team to ever make it to the Cup Finals...68 points!! Congrats again though, the better team certainly one.
Yeah that was a great series and one of the more nastier ones that I can remember.

Anyone else remember Mario, while sticking up for Phil Bourque, going nose to nose with Tinordi? Great team move by Lemieux but I remember almost falling out of my chair.

NHL Network really needed to work in the Trots/ Stevens vs Bellows tirade. Man that never gets old.

Old
07-29-2010, 07:11 PM
lastcupever75
NY Roadkill

the stars/oilers series before minny went to the finals was much really really nasty

lastcupever75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2010, 08:38 PM
Karitimes
JetsJetsJets

Quote:
Originally Posted by #66 View Post
Yeah that was a great series and one of the more nastier ones that I can remember.

Anyone else remember Mario, while sticking up for Phil Bourque, going nose to nose with Tinordi? Great team move by Lemieux but I remember almost falling out of my chair.

NHL Network really needed to work in the Trots/ Stevens vs Bellows tirade. Man that never gets old.
I don't recall the Tinordi/Lemieux confrontation, though I could probably find it on youtube.

Who can forget the Bellows incident. Poor guy, he seemed more meek/mild, I think they knew the schoolyard bullying would work. Damn funny though.

The memory that sticks the most is the one that hurts the most. The sick undressing of Giles, ? I believe Dahlquist and Casey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastcupever75 View Post
the stars/oilers series before minny went to the finals was much really really nasty
I remember Tinordi being a force in that one. I think the Habs are going to like Jarred.

Karitimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2010, 07:26 AM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
I dvred both cup clinching games and it's just amazing to watch how dominant Mario was. He was always a step ahead of the play. I also don't think he gets enough credit defensively.

The no-look in-between his legs pass to Stevens against the Hawks was absurd in Game 4 SCF 1992. How Hasek made the save is beyond me.

I'm glad NHL Network is playing some of these because it's been at least 10-15 years since i've watched a replay.

ColePens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2010, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
I dvred both cup clinching games and it's just amazing to watch how dominant Mario was. He was always a step ahead of the play. I also don't think he gets enough credit defensively.

The no-look in-between his legs pass to Stevens against the Hawks was absurd in Game 4 SCF 1992. How Hasek made the save is beyond me.

I'm glad NHL Network is playing some of these because it's been at least 10-15 years since i've watched a replay.
He was at another level even for him during those cup runs. Trying not to be a homer but when Lemieux was on I don't think that anyone has played better hockey.

I always thought it was a shame that Lemieux and Tocchet didn't get more time together. They really seemed to play well off of each other and Tocchet was awesome at getting to loose pucks and then making a play. Very under rated passer.

Old
07-30-2010, 12:44 PM
Burgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Casey 91 View Post
The memory that sticks the most is the one that hurts the most. The sick undressing of Giles, ? I believe Dahlquist and Casey.
The other turnstile defenseman was Shawn Chambers.

Burgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2010, 01:30 PM
gopens66
Finally

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
You can watch Game 1 of the 1992 Finals in full length on Google Video:

Edit: Embedding doesn't work. Link to video.

Chicago entering the finals on an 11 game winning streak, Pens unbeaten in 7. Both goalies didn't have their best day in Game 1. And who knows how that series would've went if the Pens didn't come back to win the first one.
To this day I will argue that this game is the best ever Pens game. The Blackhawks were SO confident coming into the finals, and then Mario scores the game winner with so little time left. I think this loss made the first crack in their armor, so to speak, and maybe made them doubt themselves a little. The stage and timing of all the goals were so huge, it's a crime this one wasn't in the best 10 Pens games DVD set. I've only seen it once in its entirety, the night it was played. Mike Lange swears this was the loudest he ever heard the Civic Arena.

gopens66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2010, 02:49 PM
edog37

'09 was like '91 all over again for me. Getting ready to graduate high school, winning that first Cup definitely was nice graduation present. Plus, both teams were young & on the rise. Lemieux elevated his game beyond what everyone thought was even possible & put himself at the top of the conversation as best player of all time. The North Stars simply had no answer for him as he abused Casey the entire series.

The '92 team had a ton of emotional baggage with Badger passing away & a passing tolerance for Scotty Bowman. However, it also prepared them against Chicago who were a lot tougher team to beat than Minnesota. That sweep showed how good that team really was. I still remember Kevin Stevens telling everyone how they still hadn't found a team that could beat them in a 7 game series. Classic stuff.....

I still have both on VHS at home....

edog37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2010, 02:51 PM
edog37

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopens66 View Post
To this day I will argue that this game is the best ever Pens game. The Blackhawks were SO confident coming into the finals, and then Mario scores the game winner with so little time left. I think this loss made the first crack in their armor, so to speak, and maybe made them doubt themselves a little. The stage and timing of all the goals were so huge, it's a crime this one wasn't in the best 10 Pens games DVD set. I've only seen it once in its entirety, the night it was played. Mike Lange swears this was the loudest he ever heard the Civic Arena.
I was at the Genesis concert over at Three Rivers Stadium & the entire stadium went nuts after Phil Collins announced the score.....

edog37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2010, 04:50 PM
shureshot66
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
The other turnstile defenseman was Shawn Chambers.
that's one of the reasons he goes down as the lowest rated player in sports video game history -- a rating of 1 for the inaugural lightning in NHLPA 93.

http://sports.ign.com/articles/830/830434p1.html

shureshot66 is offline   Reply With Quote