HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

The 3 future megastars in this years final

Closed Thread

Old
05-26-2004, 04:08 PM
ObeySteve
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ObeySteve
The 3 future megastars in this years final

Vincent Lecavalier, Martin St Louis, and Jarome Iginla are 3 players who have already established themselves as some of the best players in the NHL, but have yet to even reach their full potential.

When all is said and done, which of the 3 players do you believe will achieve the most in their career and be seen as the best forward of the group after all of them have retired?

Old
05-26-2004, 04:14 PM
chriss_co

I'm trying not to be a homer on this one.. but its kinda hard cuz out west we don't see alot of Lecavalier or St. Louis

however, i'll rank them in order of career greatness

Iggy > Lecavalier > St. Louis

the difference comes down to strength and defense

Iggy is the stronger player in both categories and that will forge is career.. he is the complete player.. what is there that this guy can't do well? i guess stopping pucks is the only thing

Old
05-26-2004, 04:17 PM
Lanny MacDonald*

Sorry, but as a fan of both teams, and having watched both closely for the past few years, the only mega-star in the bunch is Iginla. Lecavalier has yet to show any consistency that would place him on the crest of being a superstar player, let alone a mega-star. St. Louis had an awesome year, but he really needs to show he can repeat this level of play before being deemed a star player. I like Lecavalier and St. Louis a lot, but there is more to hockey than just putting points up on the board. If points were all that mattered Cory Stillman wouldn't be bouncing around the league like he is. If these two guys can repeat their peformances (and Lecavalier show some consistency) then you might have a case for them. There are reasons why neither has been considered to play for their country. Those are the same reasons why they are not mega-stars in the making.

Old
05-26-2004, 04:21 PM
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988

Awards:
Iginla and Lecavalier perhaps could become even bigger stars, and Lecavalier is going to become an even better player for sure, but even that would be pushing it to an extent. St. Louis is not going to be a "megastar," or at least, not any bigger than he already is.

Old
05-26-2004, 04:32 PM
Flames Draft Watcher

I'm not sure St. Louis or Iginla has a ton more untapped potential as you suggest. I'd say Lecavalier has by far the most room for improvement and growth. St. Louis and Iginla are both now in the 2nd half of the 20's, both should be nearing their peak IMO. Lecavalier is several years younger than either of them.

With the way Kiprusoff has been playing this season he may end up as more of a megastar than at least one of the guys you mentioned...

Old
05-26-2004, 05:48 PM
Coburnfan05

I am not knockin St.Louis because he has a boatload of talent but 1 great year doesn't mean you are established in the NHL.

1)Iggy
2)Vinny
3)Marty

Old
05-26-2004, 05:57 PM
RichardZednik#20

Quote:
Originally Posted by GagsIsDaMan
I am not knockin St.Louis because he has a boatload of talent but 1 great year doesn't mean you are established in the NHL.

1)Iggy
2)Vinny
3)Marty
Maybe not after 1 great year but when you finnish first in NHL for PTS, you are establish IMO.

Vinny is my favorite player(aside for Koivu) but he is not in the same league has Iginla or ST-Louis. You can even make a case for Richards being in front of him.

Old
05-26-2004, 06:15 PM
Vincent_TheGreat

Send a message via ICQ to Vincent_TheGreat
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObeySteve
Vincent Lecavalier, Martin St Louis, and Jarome Iginla are 3 players who have already established themselves as some of the best players in the NHL, but have yet to even reach their full potential.

When all is said and done, which of the 3 players do you believe will achieve the most in their career and be seen as the best forward of the group after all of them have retired?
Lecavalier is still way to inconsistent to be called a megastar. Iginla is the consumate Megastar, gives his all every game. Vinny took the whole NYI series off and came up really lame in the first game of the Cup finals, that to me is not a megastar. I really wish vinny was that right now but he is not.

Also as good as Vinny has been, he is not the reason for the success, the three reasons for TB's success is Habby, St.Louis and most importantly Richards.

Old
05-26-2004, 06:17 PM
Habs4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by GagsIsDaMan

1)Iggy
2)Vinny
3)Marty
So last year wasn't a great year for St.Louis????

Old
05-26-2004, 06:45 PM
Count of DannyKristo

Richards baby!!! Well, I wouldn't call him a megastar either but he's a great player.

Old
05-26-2004, 06:48 PM
Sotnos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny MacDonald
There are reasons why neither has been considered to play for their country.
If you're referring to St. Louis and Lecavalier, St. Louis is on the Canadian World Cup roster, and Vincent played in the Junior Worlds in '98.

St. Louis is a bit old to be considered a mega-star in the making, but I don't see why Vinny doesn't have the chance to be in that category.

Old
05-26-2004, 06:52 PM
AvengerK

Send a message via AIM to AvengerK
Brad Richards will be a star.

Old
05-26-2004, 09:25 PM
kov

Interesting that nobody thinks either of these goalies will be mega-stars.

Old
05-26-2004, 09:29 PM
Amen evil king
Amen, Evil King

I don't think Kiprusoff or Khabibulin are poised to get any better.. Which is what I thought this thread was aimed at. Out of all the players mentioned, for me I'd say Lecavalier will turn out the best.

Old
05-26-2004, 10:37 PM
ricardodw

Quote:

Correct me if I am wrong but megastars usually contribute more to their team than they take away from it. Vinny is a -2 on a team that has been on a big run. He is having trouble being a star on his own team. Leaving him off Team Canada would indicate that his stature at this point is far from Iginlia, Richards and St. Louis. Jarome +12 Richards +6 St. Louis +5

Old
05-26-2004, 11:26 PM
ehc73

Send a message via ICQ to ehc73
More props need to be given to Brad Richards. He's proven clutch in these playoffs; just check out his game winners.

Old
05-26-2004, 11:52 PM
Iggy-4-50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehtonen32
I don't think Kiprusoff or Khabibulin are poised to get any better.. Which is what I thought this thread was aimed at. Out of all the players mentioned, for me I'd say Lecavalier will turn out the best.
If Kipper wins this years cup and posts another season with a GAA around 1.80 he'll have the superstar label pasted all over him.

Lecavalier hasn't really shown great improvement over the six years he's been in the NHL,nice player that any team would love to have but i,m not so sure he'll ever be consistant enough or complete enough to be a megastar.

Iginla on the other hand is a coaches dream,an owners dream and a fans dream,people talk about some of the moves Sutter did this year to improve the Flames. I think the biggest move he did was give Iginla the "C" and even Conroy also had a lot to do with that move.

Old
05-27-2004, 12:25 AM
ehc73

Send a message via ICQ to ehc73
Quote:
Originally Posted by T@T
If Kipper wins this years cup and posts another season with a GAA around 1.80 he'll have the superstar label pasted all over him.

Lecavalier hasn't really shown great improvement over the six years he's been in the NHL,nice player that any team would love to have but i,m not so sure he'll ever be consistant enough or complete enough to be a megastar.

Iginla on the other hand is a coaches dream,an owners dream and a fans dream,people talk about some of the moves Sutter did this year to improve the Flames. I think the biggest move he did was give Iginla the "C" and even Conroy also had a lot to do with that move.
I think Lecavalier's problems are more psychological than talent-wise. He's got the skills, he's just somewhat of a headcase. Tortorella seems to have straightened him out this year though.

Old
05-27-2004, 10:48 AM
Flames Draft Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehtonen32
And why would it matter if Kiprusoff didn't get any better? This year he's been playing as one of the top couple goalies in the league. As long as he keeps it up he's going to have to be considered a star in this league...

If this thread is about who's going to get better than St. Louis and Iginla shouldn't have been mentioned either as both are in pretty much fully developed IMO.

Old
05-27-2004, 11:41 AM
HellsBells

Iginla - Megastar
Lecavalier - Superstar
St. Louis - Star

Old
05-27-2004, 11:58 AM
Rabid Ranger
Drifter

Megastar? Come on. I like all three as players but can you really call any of them, even Iginla "megastars?" Terms like this get passed around way to easily.

Old
05-27-2004, 12:16 PM
Lanny MacDonald*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger
Megastar? Come on. I like all three as players but can you really call any of them, even Iginla "megastars?" Terms like this get passed around way to easily.
I agree with you. Iginla may be the best player in the game right now, but he isn't a mega-star. He plays in small market Calgary and does not get the media attention he deserves, which would turn him into a mega-star. For a player to become a maga-star he needs to be seen regularly and blown up by the media, well beyond his production and skills (see Peter Forsberg or Chris Pronger). Iginla just doesn't get that coverage and likely won't if he continues in Calgary. If Iginla were traded to the Rangers or Wings or LA or Colorado, etc. he would immediately become a mega-star and continually pumped up as the best player in the game. Playing in Calgary has had its draw backs and exposure has been one of them.

Old
05-27-2004, 12:45 PM
ObeySteve
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to ObeySteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger
Uh, the thread title clearly includes the word "future" in front of it.

Besides, at the Oilers-Canadiens outdoor game last fall, it was dubbed the "Megastars" game, when under your extremely strict definition, less than half the people who played in the game were megastars.

No one is trying to say that any of the 3 players fit the definition yet, and you'd realize that if you actually read the title.

Old
05-27-2004, 02:19 PM
Rabid Ranger
Drifter

Quote:
Uh, the thread title clearly includes the word "future" in front of it.

Besides, at the Oilers-Canadiens outdoor game last fall, it was dubbed the "Megastars" game, when under your extremely strict definition, less than half the people who played in the game were megastars.

No one is trying to say that any of the 3 players fit the definition yet, and you'd realize that if you actually read the title.

I don't think any of the players are, or ever will be "megastars." By-the-way, I do think that term should be reserved for a handful of NHL players, none of whom are currently playing.

Old
05-28-2004, 01:13 AM
Rschmitz

Lecavalier has more size and skill than both; but at this point is too inconsistent to be considered a mega star. Iginla is a mega star, and so is St.Louis. Potentially, Levacalier could be the best of them.

Closed Thread