HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Make your case: Vancouver Canucks

Old
07-25-2010, 05:55 PM
Bob Barker

vCash: 500
Make your case: Vancouver Canucks

Well, here's the deal. I am a Toronto Maple Leafs fan who is sick and tired of the mediocrity. I have decided to cheer for a second team to offset my frustration. My second team has to be from the West so there's less head to head play, and so they can't meet in the playoffs until the finals. (Not that the Leafs make the playoffs).

The two teams left are the Edmonton Oilers and the Vancouver Canucks. The pros (Reader's Digest version) for the Canucks are the Sedins, Hodgson, Luongo, and the guy who sings the national anthem. The con is that is could be seen as bandwagoning.

So, my question to you is, why should I pick the Canucks? I will post a similar thread on the Oilers board. Why do you like them? Stories are also welcome. This should be a feel good thread.

Bob Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 06:08 PM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

We have a whale that shoots water out of his head

Lucbourdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 06:08 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Pick the Oilers. Here are my reasons:

1) I wouldn't be a Canuck fan if I didn't grow up a Canuck fan. I love this team because well, it's family, and I can't ever imagine not loving them, no matter what faults they have or how pathetic they are.

The Oilers are have championships. They've been to the Cup more recently than the Canucks and have a cupboard full of talented prospects.

If you pick the Canucks, an organization that has basically sucked from day 1, it doesn't show bandwagoning - have you looked at their history?? Picking the 5-time Cup champs is likely more a sign of bandwagoning.

2) As a Leafs fan primarily, you may want to select a 2nd team that is the opposite of the Leafs. Not an organization that hasn't won, well ever. Maybe try the Wings?

3) because as Canuck fans, we don't want Leaf fans to like us

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 06:12 PM
Riverwell

If your sick and tired of the mediocrity that Toronto is, why would you even consider cheering for a team that finished lower than Toronto in the standings this season.

Riverwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 06:12 PM
cc

Edmonton is in a similar situation to the Leafs although they have promise with exciting young players. However, they are not favored to make the playoffs this coming season so if you'd like a team that is expected to struggle this year like your Leaf team, you should pick Edmonton. Canucks are a win now team while Edmonton is a team of the future (maybe not distant). If you cheer for the Canucks now with their expected success, that is the epitome of being a bandwagoner.

I recommend the Oilers to avoid being labeled a bandwagoner

cc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 06:17 PM
Balls Mahoney
Real Rock N Rolla

Before even going into the Canucks...

Do you realize just what a cluster**** of an organization the Oilers are? If you're looking for relief of one of the more poorly run "corporate" teams, are you sure you want to jump into an even bigger case of ****eduperry?

Balls Mahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 06:23 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO View Post
Pick the Oilers. Here are my reasons:

1) I wouldn't be a Canuck fan if I didn't grow up a Canuck fan. I love this team because well, it's family, and I can't ever imagine not loving them, no matter what faults they have or how pathetic they are.

The Oilers are have championships. They've been to the Cup more recently than the Canucks and have a cupboard full of talented prospects.

If you pick the Canucks, an organization that has basically sucked from day 1, it doesn't show bandwagoning - have you looked at their history?? Picking the 5-time Cup champs is likely more a sign of bandwagoning.

2) As a Leafs fan primarily, you may want to select a 2nd team that is the opposite of the Leafs. Not an organization that hasn't won, well ever. Maybe try the Wings?

3) because as Canuck fans, we don't want Leaf fans to like us
OTOH some of us long-time (and long past) Leafs fans were cured of our affliction by Harold Ballard. At least we had the 1960's.

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 06:28 PM
biturbo19

Personally, i'd just as soon let the players on the ice do the convincing.

biturbo19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 06:41 PM
JerkChicken

One thing the Canucks have that the Oilers (or anyone else) don't: #37 RICK RYPIEN

JerkChicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 06:43 PM
gurfling

Depends on what you are looking for.

Oilers have some very nice prospects coming through, though almost all forwards, and so are at least 2 years away from competing.

Canucks are good now and should be good for a few years.

So basically depends, if you want a good team right now, choose the Canucks, if you want a team for the future, choose the Oilers.

gurfling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 06:48 PM
mrmyheadhurts
Registered Loser

vCash: 50
I've been a Canuck fan for a long, long time... pick the Oilers.

mrmyheadhurts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 06:49 PM
GCM
Stork

Canucks are being touted as the team to beat in the West. I don't think you should pick a "second team" based on other people's opinions. I think you should pick a second team for excitement alone.

You already have the Leafs to cheer for in the regular season and playoffs, so your second team should be a team not that you necessarily want to win, but one that is just exciting to watch and that you enjoy.

That said, Henrik Sedin is pretty ****ing enjoyable and Daniel will be too as I expect him to play the full season and **** face similar to how Henrik did this past season.

Luongo will also be bouncing back with a new full time goalie coach and a smexy defense put out in front of him.

Oh and I'd pay no attention to people that call you a bandwagoner. Haters gonna hate.

For what it's worth, my second favorite team has been the Tampa Bay Lightning for quite a while. And admittedly so, it had a lot to do with how cool their jerseys looked at first. BUT THEN STAMKOS. <_<

GCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 07:16 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 1000
My 2nd is the wings. Always loved the winged wheel jerseys (own one but don't tell anyone). It was great having a 2nd team that could make the playoffs and compete during the Nucks down period.

Bandwagoning: band wagon on the better team now or bandwagon on Gretzky dynasty of 25 years ago.

Finally, um yeah I vote you join the oilers.

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 07:21 PM
Slapshot_11

We're classless

Slapshot_11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 07:28 PM
CCF23

Send a message via MSN to CCF23
Being one of the top teams in the West recently, the Canucks have more fun rivalries than the Oilers. There's always the "Battle of Alberta" but when both teams suck, what fun is that? With the Canucks you get to take sides on one of the most heated rivalries in the game today. Canucks/Hawks is just fun, and if there's a year the Canucks will finally give the Hawks some payback, it's this year.

CCF23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 07:35 PM
Moobles

Picking the Canucks is like picking a successful Leafs team tbh. We have all the parts, some great players, great contracts, a good GM and we haven't made it past the 2nd round since 1994. Even the Leafs have gone to the Conference finals in recent memory ('01-'02).

If you're gonna cheer for the Canucks, I'd recommend cheering for them because you like some aspect of Vancouver, or a certain player or management. Don't give yourself a higher chance of getting an ulcer by putting all your hopes in us .

Moobles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 07:45 PM
ZyggZagg

I'm curious... Why do you really care if you're labeled a bandwagoner? At least you probably know what's going on unlike Chicago fans.

ZyggZagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 07:54 PM
The Overseer*

If you have to ask, you'll never know. Go with the Oilers.

The Overseer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 08:05 PM
In Gillis We Trust

I'm very biased, but the Sedins are by far the most fun duo in the league to watch. They make more "how the **** did he know he was going to be there" passes that lead to goals than anyone currently in the league. Only Crosby comes close IMO, and he doesn't have a clone. It definitely helps that they share the same brain.

Also, as Caribean Canuck's videos pointed out, Rick Rypien is the most exciting fighter in the league to watch, and that's not even that debatable.

Picking the Oilers shouldn't be an option. By the time they are good, the Leafs should be as well. Key word there is *should*.

Last edited by In Gillis We Trust: 07-25-2010 at 11:25 PM.
In Gillis We Trust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 08:08 PM
keslehr*

Exciting team to watch, very passionate/loyal fanbase, good shot at a long playoff run this year, one of the best goalies in the league (when he plays his best), a stacked D and a very entertaining fighter. Good jerseys too.

keslehr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 08:09 PM
ZyggZagg

You forgot the Rypien vs May video

Also, I agree with Nuck Off, I find the Sedins more exciting than any sniper. You see a Sedin with the puck and the other rushing up ice and you know something neat is going to happen...

ZyggZagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 08:47 PM
Ernie

what city would you rather catch a game in?

Vancouver proper (not the suburbs) is chock full of Ontarians. Almost seems like every second person you meet comes from there. So chances are you end up here too.

In that sense, you wouldn't be a bandwagoner.

Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 09:28 PM
denkiteki

Pick the Oilers... the 'nucks have more than enough fan support. The Oilers need all the support they can get since they are rebuilding. Plus since you're a Leafs fan, the Oilers are basically the Leafs of the East except they are farther along in the rebuild process (the Leafs still hasn't even started).

denkiteki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 10:36 PM
Exige

I think something you should really take into consideration is that the oiler's fans over on your other thread generally think it would be more affective to cut us down and tell you everything thats wrong with us, while not saying much about whats good with them.

Where we are generally either trying to tell you what's likable about our team or telling you not to cheer for us because you might get disappointed.

Its pretty funny reading them telling you about how cocky we are and trash us, while we have a relatively humble, friendly discussion on this side.

Exige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 10:42 PM
ddawg1950

I say pick the Oilers as well.

That way you only have to use one bag over your head to cheer for both teams.

Maybe a Leaf logo on one side and an Oiler logo on the other side. Saves paper.

I'm all about the environment.

ddawg1950 is offline   Reply With Quote