HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Inline Skates

Old
07-07-2010, 02:49 PM
WickedWrister

vCash: 500
Inline Skates

Hi guys, I'm currently using a pair of Mission soldiers and while I like them, I was wondering what else is on the market. My LHS doesn't have much of a selection, so it's not like I can go and try some skates on and see what I like.

One thing I have heard about Missions is that they are a little heavier than the other brands. Is this true? I also skate quite often so I would need a pair that's pretty dependable.

So, what are some other good brands out there that you have used? Price range is <$250, but if there is an amazing deal out there for a little more, I'd be interested.

WickedWrister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 05:00 PM
Thepandamancan

I like my Bauer Vapor RX05s. Granted, it's the lowest end skate of the Bauer line, but it's perfect (after a few games breaking it in). I'd recommend any of the 2010 Bauer line.

Thepandamancan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 05:31 PM
doobie604

bauer and mission use the same chassis, boot is a bit different (they're the same company now, ccm is with rbk). the lower end boots tend to go soft faster. if you're a bigger guy who stops and turns a lot, you might want to look in to a skate with at least 7000 series aluminum chassis. the older mission boss or commander black is in that price range and they're highend skate that will last. tour could be another skate to look at, but they use all 80mm wheels, which could be a bit hard getting use to. some people like the comfort and fit of the rbks but i would be scared of the pump system failing and change the fit completely when it does.

doobie604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 06:40 PM
WickedWrister

I'm actually a smaller guy, I just like the support of a stiff boot

Old
07-07-2010, 07:13 PM
doobie604

i see, well it doesn't hurt going with the higher end skate none the less. for smaller guys you can get away with skate such as the mission soldier black, which is on sale for about $100. it comes with good wheels and has similar chassis (vanguards are great) just lower grade aluminum. the boot is comfortable, but it will go soft faster than the higher end boot. if you want to go with bauer, rx25 is at your price range, but if you can find mission commander black in your size, it's a better buy.

Old
07-08-2010, 08:25 AM
WickedWrister

Quote:
Originally Posted by doobie604 View Post
i see, well it doesn't hurt going with the higher end skate none the less. for smaller guys you can get away with skate such as the mission soldier black, which is on sale for about $100. it comes with good wheels and has similar chassis (vanguards are great) just lower grade aluminum. the boot is comfortable, but it will go soft faster than the higher end boot. if you want to go with bauer, rx25 is at your price range, but if you can find mission commander black in your size, it's a better buy.
The skates I have are actually Mission Soldier Black's (which are white ironically), and they're great but they're starting to break down after a year of hard skating. I'm just wondering if straying away from Mission is a good idea, considering I've always liked their brand. Bauer's look pretty light, is this true?

Old
07-08-2010, 11:27 AM
apteno

Anyone have an opinion on Mission Lieutenants? They are on sale for $199 from $479 in the 09 model. I really need to upgrade from my ccm 2.0's heh

apteno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 01:22 PM
doobie604

i see, not sure how much lighter they are compare to the missions but i'm sure when comparing highend skate to highend skate they should be similar in weight. i do know that in your price range, the rx25 would be the skate to buy, but i believe they fall in between the commander and lieutenant. i'm not sure how well the bauer boots hold up over time, but i use their ice skates and they're holding up well.

lietenants are good skates, they don't have the mag chassis, but comes with good wheels and bearings. going from ccm 2.0 to lieutenants is a huge upgrade, the only thing to keep in mind is the fit of ccm and mission is a bit different (ccm fits a bit wider) so you might want to try on the skate before buying online.

Old
07-08-2010, 06:05 PM
apteno

Yeah I tried on another 09 model to get my size, soldier blacks I think.

Old
07-08-2010, 11:18 PM
Synergy27

I bought a pair of Commander Blacks from Hockeymonkey over the 4th of July weekend. Couldn't pass up their 20% off clearance sale (skates ended up being only $200). I'm a little concerned about the size though. I normally wear a 12D in Mission but ended up buying 11E because that was all that was left that was close. I'm hoping that the fact that Missions tend to run narrow will even this out for me. I'll post a review when I get them if anyone is interested.

Synergy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 12:09 PM
apteno

When do the 2011 skates come out? Didnt know if they would do another additional 20% off sale when those come out

Old
07-24-2010, 10:05 PM
Jimmy Carter
Avs/Leafs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedWrister View Post
The skates I have are actually Mission Soldier Black's (which are white ironically), and they're great but they're starting to break down after a year of hard skating. I'm just wondering if straying away from Mission is a good idea, considering I've always liked their brand. Bauer's look pretty light, is this true?
I have the same skates and love them! But I never did understand why they are white when they are Soldier Black's haha. No matter, the white looks PIMP. Surprised yours are breaking down... I've had mine about 6 months and show no signs of breaking down soon. Tell me your's weren't like that 6 months ago too....

Jimmy Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 02:50 AM
roast

I've only used Mission's for Roller for about 11 years now - very comfy but the boot and / or chassis has a tendency to begin to break down quickly...I've cracked two chassis on two pairs of Mission's so far. First pair lasted about 5 years, 2nd one just gave out about a year ago...onto pair 3 at the moment.

roast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 11:44 AM
pzilla3

I got a sweet pair of RBK 8k's the other day. Solid weight and features. It's my understanding that the 10k's are only marginally better than the 8's.

pzilla3 is offline   Reply With Quote