HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

Devils re-sign Mark Fraser (1 year, $500k, 1 way)

Old
07-28-2010, 09:16 AM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
isnt there some kind of rule that you cant trade players that you recently re-signed under a certain age until the next calendar year? or am i making that up

Last edited by Zajacs Bowl Cut: 07-28-2010 at 09:24 AM.
Zajacs Bowl Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 09:18 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Devil View Post
Expect trades. Too many young, promising defensemen for there not to be.
I think it's possible Fraser can be dangled as a sweetener for someone to take Rolston now. He's not a bad option at league minimum, and he has obvious potential.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 09:20 AM
theking72
Confucius Ackbar

Its fine

If we find that we don't need him, we will waive him and boom he will be playing for the thrashers

If he steps it up, it's a fantastic deal

theking72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 09:22 AM
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowbell232 View Post
I've said this before...He knows he's never getting a fair shake here in NJ, we're stockpiled with the type of D-man he is. He just wrote his ticket out of NJ, and he knows it.

He's a headstrong young kid with something to prove, and he's not going to get a chance to prove it here in Jersey.

Trust me on this one, this is straight from his mouth to my source. Very reliable.
We've been Ahonening him.

Classic Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 09:25 AM
njdevsfn95
Help Vas, Sprite.

Quote:
TGfireandice

Devils GM Lou Lamoriello would not discuss whether he will utilize second buyout window (following Fraser signing) to clear cap space.
i thought we didnt have enough players file for arbitration for this?

njdevsfn95 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 09:28 AM
PuckHogs29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Whites Eye View Post
isnt there some kind of rule that you cant trade players that you recently re-signed under a certain age until the next calendar year? or am i making that up
Not quite. You can't trade a player that you offer sheeted for one year and you can't trade a player if you matched an offer sheet for them for one year.

PuckHogs29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 09:28 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevsfn95 View Post
I didn't think so either, but I'm sure Lou knows the CBA better than we do. I don't think we'll be buying anyone out anyway. Wouldn't save enough money, so there's no point. Especially for guys we actually can trade.

Old
07-28-2010, 09:29 AM
Richer's Ghost
You are reading this

vCash: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowbell232 View Post
I've said this before...He knows he's never getting a fair shake here in NJ, we're stockpiled with the type of D-man he is. He just wrote his ticket out of NJ, and he knows it.

He's a headstrong young kid with something to prove, and he's not going to get a chance to prove it here in Jersey.

Trust me on this one, this is straight from his mouth to my source. Very reliable.

Ball pits are just toilets filled with brightly colored balls instead of water.
Richer's Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 09:30 AM
jkrdevil
UnRegistered User

Don't see what all the *****ing is about, he is going to be the 7th defensemen making minimum salary. It is a fine deal. He isn't going to block a guy who is ready to play regularly.

Even with Fraser signed there is going to be one spot for a rookie, if Salvador stays. I honestly don't see any more than that and don't want more than 1 rookie on the defense corp. If Salvador is traded Lou will end up signing Mike Mottau on the cheap to fill that hole for one year.

That is why I think Salvador will end up staying, and Rolston and a winger will be traded.

jkrdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 09:31 AM
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
I don't know about that last part, but I agree that he really doesn't want to go back to the minors above all else. Can't say I blame him, he's already made the show. Who would want to go back down?
That's just it. He may have "made" the show, but he hasnt "earned" his keep. He's a fetus. I'm sick and tired of 23 year olds with delusion of grandeur. Imagine if a 22 or 23 year old kid pulled this crap 20 years ago?

At the end of the day, Fraser just did this team a favor. This team has never been a camp ground for those with suspect character. Lou packages this guy in a trade, trades him for a 4th round pick, or lets him walk next summer. Buh-bye.

BenedictGomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 09:31 AM
njdevsfn95
Help Vas, Sprite.

Who would be worth buying out?

Pandolfo went from $2.5M to $833,333 on the cap.

I'm thinking anyone with trade value will be traded for prospects and picks

njdevsfn95 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 09:32 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

I guess everyone got their hopes up about both Urbom and Corrente making the team. Which one gets blocked by this signing? (If Fraser or another defenceman isn't traded, I mean)

Old
07-28-2010, 09:35 AM
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988

Awards:
Quote:
I guess everyone got their hopes up about both Urbom and Corrente making the team. Which one gets blocked by this signing? (If Fraser or another defenceman isn't traded, I mean)
Urbom, probably.

Classic Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 09:38 AM
Tao Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevsfn95 View Post
Yeah, TG got it wrong.

Quote:
ARTICLE 11
Rules and Procedures Governing Standard Player's Contract
11.18 Ordinary Course Buy-Outs Outside the Regular Period.

Clubs shall have the right to exercise Ordinary Course Buy-Outs outside the regular period for Ordinary Course Buy-Outs in accordance with Paragraph 13(c)(ii) of the SPC. Each Club shall be limited to no more than three (3) such buyouts over the term of this Agreement pursuant to Paragraph 13(c)(ii) of the SPC. However, in the event that a Club has only one salary arbitration hearing pursuant to Section 12.3(a) in a given League Year, such Club shall not be entitled to exercise such a buyout outside the regular period for Ordinary Course Buy-Outs. No Club shall exercise an Ordinary Course Buy-out outside the regular period for any Player earning less than $1 million.
Post #5 from

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?p...40#post5685240

Tao Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 09:38 AM
jkrdevil
UnRegistered User

Quote:
No one gets blocked because one of them (probably Urbom) was never going to make the team this year. Like you said everyone got their hopes up (falsely) for Urbom based on Lou's comments when they signed Tallinder. But Lou signed Tallinder for 4-years, there is still 2-3 years he can be a mentor to Urbom if he doesn't make the team this year. Corrente will probably make the team (although I could see Eckford beating him out in camp given that Corrente spent last year as a wing and has to re-learn the position).

I don't think we are going to go with 2 rookies on defense and I think if we did it would be foolish. We don't have Stevens, Niedermayer, and Rafalski to hide that many rookies this time around.

Old
07-28-2010, 09:39 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Quote:
Urbom, probably.
That's what I figured as well. Corrente is farther along in his development, and he already has NHL experience. Hard to see him missing the team for yet another year. Urbom can wait another year, and develop more in the AHL. But we'll see. Lou may surprise us yet.

Old
07-28-2010, 09:40 AM
PuckHogs29

Quote:
Quote:
Urbom, probably.
Yeah definitely Urbom. He could play another year of junior, or he could play in the AHL. He's in one of those sort of unique situations where he was drafted out of Europe and then went to the WHL, so he's not a WHL or NHL guy. He could play in the W, the A or the NHL. It all depends on what they see out of him at training camp, but if it becomes a case of assigning him to a lower league or having to waive someone, they'll likely assign him unless he blows everyone out of the water.

PuckHogs29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 09:42 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrdevil View Post
No one gets blocked because one of them (probably Urbom) was never going to make the team this year. Like you said everyone got their hopes up (falsely) for Urbom based on Lou's comments when they signed Tallinder. But Lou signed Tallinder for 4-years, there is still 2-3 years he can be a mentor to Urbom if he doesn't make the team this year. Corrente will probably make the team (although I could see Eckford beating him out in camp given that Corrente spent last year as a wing and has to re-learn the position).
True, there's no rush to put Urbom with Tallinder. If he earns it, great. If not, there's always next year.

I think the fact that Corrente spent time at wing this year is overblown. He didn't forget how to play defence, he was doing fine at that earlier in the season. I think he'll make the team.

Old
07-28-2010, 09:43 AM
jkrdevil
UnRegistered User

Quote:
True, there's no rush to put Urbom with Tallinder. If he earns it, great. If not, there's always next year.

I think the fact that Corrente spent time at wing this year is overblown. He didn't forget how to play defence, he was doing fine at that earlier in the season. I think he'll make the team.
Agreed, I think he has the edge.

Old
07-28-2010, 09:45 AM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
TG possibly wrong? color me shocked

Zajacs Bowl Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 09:50 AM
PacManNJD
Let's get clever.

I like it.

He's a competent young d-man with plenty of potential. Physical, too, and certainly not afraid to drop the gloves.

500K for a 7th defenseman and a kid with his whole career ahead of him and plenty of room for improvement. Good deal.

PacManNJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 09:51 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

I wouldn't say Fraser is entirely competent yet. He has had some glaring and costly gaffes in the past.

Old
07-28-2010, 09:52 AM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

I think it depends on who does what at camp. If Corrente comes in thinking he's made it without having earned it, then he'll lose it. It's his spot to lose though.

Jaysfanatic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 09:53 AM
PacManNJD
Let's get clever.

Quote:
I wouldn't say Fraser is entirely competent yet. He has had some glaring and costly gaffes in the past.
True... But he's far from a bad hockey player...

We'll see how it plays out.

PacManNJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 09:59 AM
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003

Quote:
Nothing that some proper tutelage in the AHL under the guidance of a competent coach in a situation with less demands and pressure couldn't solve.

Oh...... wait........

BenedictGomez is offline   Reply With Quote