HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hi-tech SJ Sharks

Closed Thread

Old
05-27-2004, 02:38 PM
Prucha73

vCash: 500
Hi-tech SJ Sharks

Anybody saw during the playoffs ESPN was showing how hi tech Sharks' coaching staff is? Do you think other clubs will take notice of that? What are the chances of Rangers using some modern equipment and technology for a change?

Old
05-27-2004, 03:47 PM
rnyquist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prucha73
Anybody saw during the playoffs ESPN was showing how hi tech Sharks' coaching staff is? Do you think other clubs will take notice of that? What are the chances of Rangers using some modern equipment and technology for a change?
You mean to say the earpiece the coach wears in his ear to listen to Sather on how to coach isn't hi-tech enough for you?

Old
05-27-2004, 03:51 PM
Prucha73

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnyquist
You mean to say the earpiece the coach wears in his ear to listen to Sather on how to coach isn't hi-tech enough for you?
I am being serious, has nobody seen that?

Old
05-27-2004, 05:18 PM
NYR2

I didn't see it, explain a little more.

Old
05-27-2004, 07:23 PM
Prucha73

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR2
I didn't see it, explain a little more.
they use a digital wireless thing that is kind of like a laptop and they can view replays at different angles with it right at the bench and show players right away on the monitor the play where they screwed up. They also use it to diagram plays and strategies, and so on. Instead of blackboard they got a big touch screen where they can show different strategies and so on. I think there was also some thing else, but I can't recall

Old
05-28-2004, 08:39 AM
Melrose_Jr.

I remember the Caps used to use these 2 or 3 seasons ago. It did seem like a really powerful tool, but I almost wonder if "iso-ing" and reviewing plays on the bench is too much of a distraction for everyone.

Old
05-28-2004, 09:09 PM
zestystrat

Just a guess, but it could be a tablet pc wirelessly linked to a server.

It would be easier to do at home, road games would be tough.

Old
05-29-2004, 12:00 AM
NYR2

Quote:
they use a digital wireless thing that is kind of like a laptop and they can view replays at different angles with it right at the bench and show players right away on the monitor the play where they screwed up. They also use it to diagram plays and strategies, and so on. Instead of blackboard they got a big touch screen where they can show different strategies and so on. I think there was also some thing else, but I can't recall
Wow, that sounds pretty cool.

Old
05-29-2004, 12:13 AM
karl_hungus

I saw the piece they did on the "hi-tech" Sharks. The device they used behind the bench was pretty neat...it didn't really look like a tablet PC though.

Also, Wilson was commenting on how Marleu didn't like computer and Wilson then said something along the lines of "The computer tells me your benched...what do you think of that?". I thought the whole piece was pretty interesting and I'm sure other teams will start adopting some of the technology eventually.

Old
05-29-2004, 05:26 PM
Park #2

Quote:
A lot of teams are using similar systems.... T

This trend, for the most part, started back in 97,98,99 with a company called the Hockey System. Several teams picked up on it, and the system was improved.... The original system was designed for Football and Soccer actually, and eventually they developed a hockey corp. There are some amazing things that these systems can do, you can isolate any player doing just about anything. If you want to see all the shifts in the 1st period where say, Leetch was on against Yzerman, you can do that... All the shifts in the 1st Where Power Play A faced Brian Rolston..... All the faceoffs in a season where Lundmark faced a Left Handed opponent. The Hockey System was of course improved upon by other rivals and bettered.

It's remarkable software really, though very costly.

Old
05-29-2004, 05:37 PM
Prucha73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Park #2
A lot of teams are using similar systems.... T

This trend, for the most part, started back in 97,98,99 with a company called the Hockey System. Several teams picked up on it, and the system was improved.... The original system was designed for Football and Soccer actually, and eventually they developed a hockey corp. There are some amazing things that these systems can do, you can isolate any player doing just about anything. If you want to see all the shifts in the 1st period where say, Leetch was on against Yzerman, you can do that... All the shifts in the 1st Where Power Play A faced Brian Rolston..... All the faceoffs in a season where Lundmark faced a Left Handed opponent. The Hockey System was of course improved upon by other rivals and bettered.

It's remarkable software really, though very costly.

Sounds awesome, but why don't Rangers start using them?

Old
05-29-2004, 05:40 PM
ThisYearsModel

Just Think....Slats Could

send instructions to the bench from his BlackBerry. "Get Lundmark off and Messier on....NOW!!"

Old
05-29-2004, 05:53 PM
Park #2

Quote:
Sounds awesome, but why don't Rangers start using them?
You'd be surprised at some of the things that some teams use - just because they aren't always seen or publicized doesn't mean they aren't there. The Rangers, under Neil Smith, actually jumped on the Hockey System - a limited version trial - fairly quickly. A lot of choices are made by new coaches, and/or Management. Coach A may like certain systems better then Coach B. Trottier was actually very involved with systems like this for the Avalance before coming to NYR and brought different technology with him.

Closed Thread