HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trading Callahan

Old
07-28-2010, 10:12 AM
rangersfan111

vCash: 500
Trading Callahan

last year ryan callahan posted 19 goals and 18 assists in 77 games ... however 9 of those goals and 11 of those assists came on the powerplay

if anyone truly believes callahan is a top 6 player they are horribly mistaken
IMO he is one of the best 3rd liners in the league (if not the best)... and he is a penalty killing machine

the problem is he does not mesch well with the centers on the team ... chris drury put up an abysmal 32 points centering callahan for the majority of the season... and when he played with anisimov it just didnt work (there was no chemistry)

next year he will demand a pay increase and sather knows keeping callahan will please the fans because he knows ranger fans have some obsession with him ... a 3 million dollar 3rd line winger is not the most ideal situation for any team ...

rangers could probably trade callahan for a quality pick or even package him in a deal with a prospect for a bluechip prospect ...
with the extra money they could sign a player like willie mitchell

also trading callahan would allow prust to be given 3rd line minutes and play with the mighty russian artem anisimov
this is what the team would look like with the trade and dont forget the addition of a bluechip prospect:

Dubinsky-Christensen-Gaborik
Frolov-Drury-Mats ZuccarelloAasen
Avery-Anisimov-Prust
Boogard-Boyle/Byers-Wiese

Staal-Rozsival
MDZ-Mitchell
Girardi-McDonough

Lundqvist
Biron

what do you guys think?

rangersfan111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 10:14 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

1. He will not get much of a pay raise. 2.8 at the highest, which is more than fair for a 20 goal scorer and one of the league leaders in hits and blocked shots.

2. We are weak, weak, weak at Right wing. So its highly unlikely

3. He has been named one of the "core players" that we are building around, so barring a major fall out, he is here

4. He has won the fans over and been voted the mcdonald award

5. he is the alternate captain

Put it together, and it would be nuts to deal him.

BTW, nobody thinks he is a top 6 forward.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 10:25 AM
FOXHOUND*

A 20 goal scorer who hits, is a leader and leaves his heart out on the ice every game?
Yeah trade him, we don't need that.

FOXHOUND* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 10:41 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

No player is untouchable but I think its highly unlikely Cally gets traded unless its part of a package that is TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE.

An elite player in their prime ala Malkin

07-28-2010, 10:44 AM
Pizza

This just has me shaking my head.

If the Rangers find themselves going deep into the playoffs the next year or so, I'm willing to bet that Callahan will be one of the guys making a big play to get us there.

They would never receive back what Cally is worth to the Rangers. But any team would gladly take him off our hands....and laugh themselves silly in the process.

It seems that the difference between winning franchises and the rest is that the winners know which players to hang onto.

This will be one issue of great interest over the next few years. Will Sather avoid subtraction by subtraction and not trade our core players for big name do nothings who don't make the players around them better.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 10:51 AM
thewaitingisover

I could deal with a Dubinsky trade. But if Sather gives up Callahan, I forego my fan-dom.

thewaitingisover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 10:56 AM
TreeSapLlama

Brandon Prust 115GP 6G 11A 17P = 0.15PPG
Ryan Callahan 224GP 53G 43G 96P = 0.43PPG

Why didn't I think of this? We should definitely trade away an awesome 3rd liner for someone who scores less then half the points. That 3rd line is just scoring way too often!

To the OP: No one thinks Ryan Callahan is actually a 2nd liner. Its just unfortunate that sometimes on the Rangers, he is.

TreeSapLlama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 11:04 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangersfan111 View Post
last year ryan callahan posted 19 goals and 18 assists in 77 games ... however 9 of those goals and 11 of those assists came on the powerplay

IMO he is one of the best 3rd liners in the league (if not the best)... and he is a penalty killing machine

the problem is he does not mesch well with the centers on the team ... chris drury put up an abysmal 32 points centering callahan for the majority of the season... and when he played with anisimov it just didnt work (there was no chemistry)

next year he will demand a pay increase and sather knows keeping callahan will please the fans because he knows ranger fans have some obsession with him ... a 3 million dollar 3rd line winger is not the most ideal situation for any team ...

rangers could probably trade callahan for a quality pick or even package him in a deal with a prospect for a bluechip prospect ...

also trading callahan would allow prust to be given 3rd line minutes and play with the mighty russian artem anisimov
this is what the team would look like with the trade and dont forget the addition of a bluechip prospect:

Dubinsky-Christensen-Gaborik
Frolov-Drury-Mats ZuccarelloAasen
Avery-Anisimov-Prust
Boogard-Boyle/Byers-Wiese

Staal-Rozsival
MDZ-Mitchell
Girardi-McDonough

Lundqvist
Biron

what do you guys think?
I wouldnt be completely opposed to trading Callahan, but Im confused as to the logic.

1. I have an extremely hard time putting the "failure to mesh with our centers" on Callahan. Our centers stink...in fact, we may be the worst team down the middle in the entire NHL.

2. We know Callahan is a great third liner....other teams certainly know Callahan is a third liner. When you watch him play, its plain to see he has limited offensive upside. A 20/40 guy that plays is heart out every night is what you've got now and probably what you're gonna get the rest of his career. Not saying thats a bad thing at all, but I have a hard time believing a team will trade a young player with top 6 capabilities for someone that doesnt have this upside.

3. Prust is no Ryan Callahan. I dont quite understand why you'd be excited of ridding the team of Callahan so that Prust can take his spot.

Bleed Ranger Blue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 11:07 AM
Chalfdiggity3

Callahan wont get alot of money, prob be around 2.5m a year and is basically the motor, the heart and soul of this team. Yes anyone is tradeable i agree, but why trade callahan now?

were finally building in the right direction, have very very talented prospects now at all positions and they are finally comming up in 3 years tops. by then rosie, redden, drury, alot of players that dont fit or we dont want anymore will be gone.. well still have gaborik, staal, dubi, cally, dz, lundqvist, with the additions of krieder, stepan, grachev, mcdonugh, valentenko, sauer, mcilrath, i mean come on.

we will have pleny of caproom after the dead weight is gone in 2 years and will have an influx of young talent, plus the character guys we have now, can make for a championship team. i say stay the course and continue to build the right way and then we can finally win some cups again.

Chalfdiggity3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 11:33 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Callahan is the PERFECT player for the playoffs. Hes a guy that waits in the weeds and can be an unsung hero type on a GOOD team. Besides the fact that he is a role model for any player that comes to this team, hes a multiple Steven McDonald award winner, Alternate Captain and an example of how a player should consistently show up every night to play.

On a good team he is still extremely valuable as a great PK man, forechecker, agitator and the PERFECT 3rd line player. He should not be traded, though I do understand how his value could be considered very high in the market at this point. I just think if you build a team that can contend for a cup, youll be looking to add a guy like this at the deadline after youve built that team. Keep him.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 11:39 AM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

He might be expendable because he's not a star player, but he's a perfect third liner and penalty killer. He's a guy you need to fill in a role of defense and checking. Despite the lack of points, he's a valuable asset in my opinion.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 11:42 AM
pwoz

I would trade ANYONE, but it all depends on the return.

pwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 11:44 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

You don't trade a player like Callahan unless you already have someone who has demonstrated the same level of ability in all facets of the game.

Personally, I think a lot of people are undervaluing him as an offensive threat. Is he a "second liner?" It really depends on what your definition is. However, he's a phenomenal role player and complimentary forward. You can slot him at either wing and he doesn't look out of place on any of your 4 lines. I think he's extremely similar to a guy like Thomas Holmstrom. He's going to do the little things to make the players on his line more effective.

I have high hopes for Weise, but there are 29 other GM's who would love to get their hands on Callahan. That's not a player you give away right now.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 11:45 AM
GAGLine
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangersfan111 View Post
He had 22 goals and 18 assists in 81 games the year before. Only 2g and 2a on the PP.

Quote:
Two reasons why we shouldn't even think about trading him.

Quote:
Anisimov was a rookie who didn't score much until the last 10 games of the season. And exactly who has Drury meshed with since he's been here? He's a center only because he's good at faceoffs. He's never been a playmaker.

Quote:
Whatever Cally gets, he'll be worth it. There's more to the game than just point totals.

Quote:
If Cally isn't that valuable to us (according to you) then why would he be that valuable to anyone else? We've got enough dmen already. We don't need Mitchell.

Quote:
Prust isn't a 3rd liner, despite what he did in a handfull of games at the end of the season. He can fill a 3rd line role, sure, but don't expect him to score 30+ points a year while doing it.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 11:57 AM
eco's bones

Funny Drury and Callahan working together. Neither one of them is very good at sharing the puck. Much more inclined to shoot. Not much of a fan of Drury's but it's one of the reasons I think he should be on the wing.

I like Callahan a lot more. He's a hard working responsible guy who can play in the top 6 but is better suited as a 3rd liner. Trading him would depend on the return.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 11:58 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Anyone that doesn't like the thread, feel free to keep moving and/or ignore it.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 12:00 PM
msv957

You have to like a player like Callahan... Gritty in your face player who can
score 20 goals, leadership qualities, is a home grown Ranger and
fan favorite...

I do believe he can fill in and play very well on a 2nd line.. However, he
seems like the perfect 3rd line player on a winning team.

But as the OP mentioned, IF Callahan starts hinting with huge
salary demands soon then it might be best to consider trading him
and get some good value for him.

msv957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 12:02 PM
DutchShamrock

You know, I've seen Ranger teams built around stats since 1997 at the latest and the acheivement of mediocrity has been it's highest plateau. I've seen heart and soul and work ethic moved for abilities and talent... and the team has always come out worse. There is something to be said about things not shown by stats.

Philly has Richards and Carter but it was Leino and Hartnell carrying that team to the finals. Chicago has Kane and Toews but it was Byfuglien and Bolland getting the job done. With Ranger fans it is always about what we don't have. We don't have elite talent like other teams. Gaborik isn't even elite, he's a Hossa, the next tier. I'm tired of guys like Callahan and Dubinsky being blamed for not being elite. They are important pieces that are crucial for winning. They are not the problem. It's time to focus on the true issues.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 12:02 PM
You 'Orns!

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
I think it is telling that during the Olympics, a lot of other teams' fans were saying things along the lines of "I've barely heard of this Callahan guy, but I'd love to have him on my team."

007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 12:03 PM
otto1219

Callahan's value to the Rangers would not translate to equal value on the trade market. What would a realistic return be if it wasn't a package deal, a high second round pick or a decent prospect? It is not worth trading him for either.

If we could trade callahan in a deal that also shed a terrible salary ala Redden/Roszival and received a decent pick and a prospect i would deeply consider it. For anyone who firmly believes that a person who gives their heart and soul in every shift is not moveable you are crazy. How many rings did Darcy Tucker, Matthew Barnaby, and Michael Peca win?

A player who tries their hardest and hits is very valuable as a third line player, but if we could package him in a deal to get a legitimate scorer, defender, or playmaker it would be ignorant not to do so. Character only goes so far in terms of winning. Callahan is likely going to be a third line player the rest of his career, at best a second liner. If you take away his hard work ethic (which Ranger fans rarely have seen in the past decade by the way) his game is pretty average.

otto1219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 12:04 PM
ecemleafs

he isnt untouchable, but were not just gonna get rid of him for the hell of it. if he is moved it would be to improve the team. highly doubt hes moved anytime soon though.

ecemleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 12:07 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewaitingisover View Post
I could deal with a Dubinsky trade. But if Sather gives up Callahan, I forego my fan-dom.
I don't want dubinsky or callahan traded.

Callahan is a young leader the rangers haven't had that for a while and the Rangers don't have any power forwards. Dubinsky is the closest one they have... And when Grachev and Anisimov fight and produce as much as Dubinsky then they can be called power forwards.

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 12:10 PM
McIlrathsWrath

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogie View Post
not to beat a dead horse but Gretzky got traded... anyone can get traded.
I understand it's possible bit what I was referring to was the fact that we dog sather for getting rid of our young talent in the past and now that he's changing his ways, some fans are asking for it tohappen all over again

McIlrathsWrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 12:16 PM
wa2k99

I will be very upset if they trade Callahan.

wa2k99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 12:21 PM
n1cON
bleeds blue ! ! !

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa2k99 View Post
I will be very upset if they trade Callahan.

The same here. Hes the only next to Hank I never want to see get traded!!!!!

BTW this was my Post #100

n1cON is offline   Reply With Quote