HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trading Callahan

Old
07-28-2010, 01:31 PM
NYRJE

vCash: 500
I don't believe we've seen Callahan's best yet and would like to hold on to him for a bit longer. I don't see what benefit we'd get by trading him at this point. The lineup rangersfan111 posted is far from impressive and would be better off with Callahan inserted somewhere, IMO. This assumes Prust, Zucca, Byers, and/or Weise are better options; I don't agree with that assessment.

NYRJE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 01:40 PM
msv957

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchShamrock View Post
You know, I've seen Ranger teams built around stats since 1997 at the latest and the acheivement of mediocrity has been it's highest plateau. I've seen heart and soul and work ethic moved for abilities and talent... and the team has always come out worse. There is something to be said about things not shown by stats.

Philly has Richards and Carter but it was Leino and Hartnell carrying that team to the finals. Chicago has Kane and Toews but it was Byfuglien and Bolland getting the job done. With Ranger fans it is always about what we don't have. We don't have elite talent like other teams. Gaborik isn't even elite, he's a Hossa, the next tier. I'm tired of guys like Callahan and Dubinsky being blamed for not being elite. They are important pieces that are crucial for winning. They are not the problem. It's time to focus on the true issues.
Great post.. I agree... The Rangers have the players on this roster where they can compete and win.. Guys like Dubinsky and and Callahan could be playoff heroes. They have grit and competitiveness... Hank might be needed to steal a series like most of the goalies seem to do in the playoffs but the pieces are there...

i

msv957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 01:44 PM
t3hg00se

Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchShamrock View Post
You know, I've seen Ranger teams built around stats since 1997 at the latest and the acheivement of mediocrity has been it's highest plateau. I've seen heart and soul and work ethic moved for abilities and talent... and the team has always come out worse. There is something to be said about things not shown by stats.

Philly has Richards and Carter but it was Leino and Hartnell carrying that team to the finals. Chicago has Kane and Toews but it was Byfuglien and Bolland getting the job done. With Ranger fans it is always about what we don't have. We don't have elite talent like other teams. Gaborik isn't even elite, he's a Hossa, the next tier. I'm tired of guys like Callahan and Dubinsky being blamed for not being elite. They are important pieces that are crucial for winning. They are not the problem. It's time to focus on the true issues.
This is a really great post.

t3hg00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 01:49 PM
rangersfan111

many of you are making me seem like a total **** and trying to spin what i wrote into a hate fest of callahan ...
all i am saying is after this season he will be making 3 mill per season as a 3rd liner
I understand he has a lot of heart and is a team player, I love callahan... but if you can't play on the top two lines you are definitley tradeable ...
also like i said before anisimov enjoys playing with prust and this year instead of shelley on the left side he could have avery (who is much better offensively) both players stick up for their teammates and i strongly believe this line will mesch very well

And someone stated that we are weak at the right wing position... Gaborik, Zuccarello, Prust and Wiese are not weak... its average at the worst ... how many teams have better right wings then that?
our left wings are solid:Frolov, Dubinsky, Avery, Boogard

wouldn't you guys rather pay Prust 2 million dollars less since he plays better with anisimov and could help him with his development and put the money to a greater need ... centremen or defense
and like i said before... we could get a decent prospect in return

rangersfan111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 01:57 PM
NYRJE

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangersfan111 View Post
many of you are making me seem like a total **** and trying to spin what i wrote into a hate fest of callahan ...
all i am saying is after this season he will be making 3 mill per season as a 3rd liner
I understand he has a lot of heart and is a team player, I love callahan... but if you can't play on the top two lines you are definitley tradeable ...
also like i said before anisimov enjoys playing with prust and this year instead of shelley on the left side he could have avery (who is much better offensively) both players stick up for their teammates and i strongly believe this line will mesch very well

And someone stated that we are weak at the right wing position... Gaborik, Zuccarello, Prust and Wiese are not weak... its average at the worst ... how many teams have better right wings then that?

wouldn't you guys rather pay Prust 2 million dollars less since he plays better with anisimov and could help him with his development and put the money to a greater need ... centremen or defense
I guess my question is: How does removing Callahan from our lineup make us better?

NYRJE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 02:10 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
When Gaborik's healthy he's what I'd call "2nd tier elite." You've got Crosby, Ovechkin, Malkin, maybe Stamkos and Henrik Sedin now, then you've got Gaborik, Kovalchuk, Heatley, Kane, Toews, B. Richards, Backstrom, Thornton, etc.

And until Gaborik isn't healthy I don't see how he's not elite.

I'm not really sure what the point of that "great post" was considering by definition Kane, Toews, Richards and Carter aren't elite either.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 02:12 PM
rangersfan111

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRJE View Post
I guess my question is: How does removing Callahan from our lineup make us better?
well like i said before ... he could fetch us a very good prospect as well as give us the cap space to sign a player that could fill one of our other holes
someone is going to respond by saying we will make a hole by trading away callahan
but I strongly believe that Avery-Anisimov-Prust (as the 3rd line) would work better than Avery-Anisimov-Callahan ...
and we save ourselves 2 million in cap for the next few years and we get a good prospect in return who could probably be a top 6 player in the near future

Old
07-28-2010, 02:13 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:

I think you underrate Callahan as much as you overrate Prust.

07-28-2010, 02:19 PM
ZacUSNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOXHOUND View Post
A 20 goal scorer who hits, is a leader and leaves his heart out on the ice every game?
Yeah trade him, we don't need that.
lol

Amen.

ZacUSNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 02:20 PM
Swept In Seven
Disciple of The Zook

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I think you underrate Callahan as much as you overrate Prust.
Yeah I agree Cally is the heart and soul of this team take him away and I promise you his teammates would flip the **** out about it

Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 02:21 PM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

yeah exactly...we have TOO MUCH GRIT already...

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 02:29 PM
avery16*

yeah, rangers should have traded graves in 91.. what is callahan, 25 years old? still plenty of time for him to develop offensively..

avery16* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 02:32 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

in a package for Bobby Ryan...sure....other than that....

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 02:38 PM
GAGLine
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
but I strongly believe that Avery-Anisimov-Prust (as the 3rd line) would work better than Avery-Anisimov-Callahan ...
You are out of your mind dude. Completely.

GAGLine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 02:58 PM
Just Lurking

Why not buy out Drury?

If it looks like cap space will be tight next summer, they can always buyout the last year of Drury's contract (freeing up $3.3 million in cap space).

Just Lurking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 03:06 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Lurking View Post
If it looks like cap space will be tight next summer, they can always buyout the last year of Drury's contract (freeing up $3.3 million in cap space).
we'll be fine.

Prospal, Brashear, Eminger, Frolov, etc are all off the books...thats like 6-7 mil in space right there. If you trade Rozsival (and I think its fairly simple to trade him, hes got a good salary base next year) youd free up another 5 mil.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 03:15 PM
Pizza

Quote:

And someone stated that we are weak at the right wing position... Gaborik, Zuccarello, Prust and Wiese are not weak... its average at the worst ... how many teams have better right wings then that?our left wings are solid:Frolov, Dubinsky, Avery, Boogard

I'm not looking to pile on here, but this is just silly.

Of the four players mentioned above Zuccarello has never seen N/A hockey, and Weise barley has NHL experience. How does trading Callahan make our right side better?

If you are not hating on Calahan here you are certainly selling him short.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 03:19 PM
rangersfan111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
I'm not looking to pile on here, but this is just silly.

Of the four players mentioned above Zuccarello has never seen N/A hockey, and Weise barley has NHL experience. How does trading Callahan make our right side better?

If you are not hating on Calahan here you are certainly selling him short.
whattttt... obviously callahan improves the right side ... all i stated is that the right wing without him is still better than average

Old
07-28-2010, 03:22 PM
GAGLine
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
whattttt... obviously callahan improves the right side ... all i stated is that the right wing without him is still better than average
So by trading him to free up money for a dman, what does that accomplish? How does that make us a better team? We aren't in a position to be trading offense for defense.

GAGLine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 03:27 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
last year ryan callahan posted 19 goals and 18 assists in 77 games ... however 9 of those goals and 11 of those assists came on the powerplay

if anyone truly believes callahan is a top 6 player they are horribly mistaken
IMO he is one of the best 3rd liners in the league (if not the best)... and he is a penalty killing machine

the problem is he does not mesch well with the centers on the team ... chris drury put up an abysmal 32 points centering callahan for the majority of the season... and when he played with anisimov it just didnt work (there was no chemistry)

next year he will demand a pay increase and sather knows keeping callahan will please the fans because he knows ranger fans have some obsession with him ... a 3 million dollar 3rd line winger is not the most ideal situation for any team ...

rangers could probably trade callahan for a quality pick or even package him in a deal with a prospect for a bluechip prospect ...
with the extra money they could sign a player like willie mitchell

also trading callahan would allow prust to be given 3rd line minutes and play with the mighty russian artem anisimov
this is what the team would look like with the trade and dont forget the addition of a bluechip prospect:

Dubinsky-Christensen-Gaborik
Frolov-Drury-Mats ZuccarelloAasen
Avery-Anisimov-Prust
Boogard-Boyle/Byers-Wiese

Staal-Rozsival
MDZ-Mitchell
Girardi-McDonough

Lundqvist
Biron

what do you guys think?
Callahan is a second liner in this league.

You guys need to get your heads out of your *****, and actually compare apples to ****ing apples.

Tell me how many bona fide third-liners in this league have scored 40G over the last two season's?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????????????????????????????

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 03:29 PM
rangersfan111

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
So by trading him to free up money for a dman, what does that accomplish? How does that make us a better team? We aren't in a position to be trading offense for defense.
do you read what you post. do i even have to answer that question... by acquring a top 4 defenseman like willie mitchell it improves our defense immensely

Staal-Rozsival
MDZ-Mitchell
Girardi-McDonough
Eminger

that defense is extremely solid especially infront of henrik lundqvist

we don't have the offense to compete with pittsburgh, chicago and washington ... the way the rangers are going to beat teams like that is by having better defense and goaltending

Old
07-28-2010, 03:32 PM
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs

Another American Olympian was considered to be a third line center for his career as it was thought that when he turned 24 that his offense was never going to come around.

He followed that up with a season of 59 points and 75 points. Now he is considered one of the most complete 2nd line centers in the league. If you guess Ryan Kesler, you'd be right.

Sometimes it takes a little time for players to get it at the NHL level offensively. You saw flashed from Cally last season offensively, and he has the skill to put up 50+ points. I know he was given PP time last year and that is how he got the majority of his points, but you have to wonder if Cally can make the same step that Kesler did this season and put up 50+ points.

With that being said, you don't trade Callahan. He is the heart of this team. He is the future captian of this group of players, and leads by example. I think Cally is such a team guy, he'll take a similar contract to what he is under right now just so this team can be better.

mrjimmyg89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 03:35 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:

Prust couldn't put up 20G in the ****ing OHL. The O H L . Wake up. There's no chance in hell he ever comes close to producing like Callahan. Assuming he could replace him one day, is like assuming Byers could replace Gaborik.

And Avery isn't the better offensively than Callahan. Only a fool would assume so. Only a fool.

Old
07-28-2010, 03:38 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
do you read what you post. do i even have to answer that question... by acquring a top 4 defenseman like willie mitchell it improves our defense immensely

Staal-Rozsival
MDZ-Mitchell
Girardi-McDonough
Eminger

we don't have the offense to compete with pittsburgh, chicago and washington ... the way the rangers are going to beat teams like that is by having better defense and goaltending
So you're suggesting we trade Callahan so we can sign a UFA dmen who's been side-lined with concussion problems.

That's all I needed to hear from you. Seriously, your theory's are brutal. As stupid as Sather is, man oh man, I'm glad we don't have guys like yourself running this team.

Old
07-28-2010, 03:41 PM
emodwarf

Quote:

Staal-Rozsival
MDZ-Mitchell
Girardi-McDonough
Eminger

I don't understand how getting rid of Callahan, who would provide far more offense than Prust and would be a rock on the PK defensively, helps this team in any way. Mitchell would be nice, yes, but all the things that Callahan does on both sides of the puck are worth more to this team than what Mitchell would bring.

I also really don't understand how Gaborik/MZA/Prust/Weise would be average depth "at worst" on RW. That looks pretty sad, to me. MZA hasn't shown or proved anything on smaller ice with a rougher style of play. Prust hasn't demonstrated much offense, certainly nowhere near as much as Cally, as others have pointed out. Weise shows some promise, but he hasn't proven much yet at the NHL level.

Honestly, if those 4 are "average depth at worst" then I need to lace em up and call Sather for my ELC.

emodwarf is offline   Reply With Quote