HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Goalie situation in Montreal

View Poll Results: Goalies in MTL
One of the best tandems in the league 5 2.82%
Price will be amazing and Auld will play 20 games tops 42 23.73%
Solid young #1 and a experienced #2 69 38.98%
Average Duo with question marks 55 31.07%
Total Panic mode!! moving to STL 6 3.39%
Voters: 177. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
07-29-2010, 09:56 AM
MicroFracture

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalakRulz View Post
Halak single-handedly lead the Habs to the playoffs and won the Cap and Pens series' all on his own.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam A Larry View Post
Don't ever, never call yourself objective and non-biased after saying the bolded.
There ya go.

Old
07-29-2010, 10:16 AM
11Goat11
Inside her

I am not biased, I am a big Hab supporter and don't care who is net. We go through this every fricking year, Hackett needs to play, no Theo, no Huet, no Price, no Halak needs to play.

Halak was great in the playoffs no doubt and I really liked him but he wasn't perfect, and he did get help from the team despite what you people here are saying. Gill's shot blocking, Gionta and Cammy's goal scoring, and Pleks defensive play were all key factors in getting to the semi's, without them we don't get to where we were so it was not Halak singlehandedly getting the job done.

Halak had to make a lot of saves because of the system, many of his shots were low percentage ones from bad angles. I am not saying he wasn't stellar because in 3 games he was absolutely dominant brilliant, but I re-iterate, Montreal has some nice pieces that contributed to them getting as far as he did.

I fear not for the future of the team because I think Price will be good enough to get the job done and I really like the skaters we have going forward. And I don't need lectures on being biased from someone named Halakrulz....

Last edited by 11Goat11: 07-29-2010 at 10:28 AM.
Old
07-29-2010, 10:22 AM
Charlie Milles*
Uh... Go Canucks?

Auld is bald.

/thread

Old
07-29-2010, 12:45 PM
Pleky Roks

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Goat11 View Post
I am not biased, I am a big Hab supporter and don't care who is net. We go through this every fricking year, Hackett needs to play, no Theo, no Huet, no Price, no Halak needs to play.

Halak was great in the playoffs no doubt and I really liked him but he wasn't perfect, and he did get help from the team despite what you people here are saying. Gill's shot blocking, Gionta and Cammy's goal scoring, and Pleks defensive play were all key factors in getting to the semi's, without them we don't get to where we were so it was not Halak singlehandedly getting the job done.

Halak had to make a lot of saves because of the system, many of his shots were low percentage ones from bad angles. I am not saying he wasn't stellar because in 3 games he was absolutely dominant brilliant, but I re-iterate, Montreal has some nice pieces that contributed to them getting as far as he did.

I fear not for the future of the team because I think Price will be good enough to get the job done and I really like the skaters we have going forward. And I don't need lectures on being biased from someone named Halakrulz....

Halak was great all season long, not just the playoffs!!!! Without Halak, the Habs finish about 13th in the conference and miss the playoffs all together because Price couldn't win a game last year when the team needed him to. Don't underrate Halak and overrate Price. Price has done NOTHING yet in his career to make me think he's a capable #1 goalie. He was wrongfully handed the #1 job and he lost it because he couldn't handle the pressure or play consistant hockey. Martin realized that and went with the goalie that got wins and played better. Price having a few good games means nothing to me!!!!

Halak did have a lot of help in some games. If it wasn't for blocked shots and solid defensive play by the whole team, they likely wouldn't have won a few games in the playoffs.....but the bottom line is Halak was there when the team needed him to be....something Price has never done.

And I'm not lecturing you on being biased. I chose the name HalakRulz because he is the better goalie between him and Price. Halak has always had success wherever he's played because hes a solid goalie, he has nerves of steel and he has a great style. I'm a goalie and I know how to recognize a good goaltender when I see one. I can see that Price has a ton of potential. He's a good goalie and he has a perfect frame for goalie, but its his conditioning and mental game that I worry about. He's shown how easily he gets rattled, he's shown how shaken up he gets after a goal and he's blamed his defence for a lot of those goals....something you shouldn't do.

I like Price and I plan to cheer for him if he gives us fans something to cheer about this upcoming season.....but just don't put all of your faith in a goalie that has gotten worse every season in the NHL since he joined. Halak is gone and nothing can change that....but Pierre Gaulthier made a huge mistake when he traded Halak instead of Price. Anybody with an ounce of hockey sense can see that!!!

Old
07-29-2010, 12:55 PM
KingGallagherXI

If Price plays really well (.920 s% or better), then this duo will be awesome.

If Price doesn't play well, this duo will suck.

I know, what a shocker.

Old
07-29-2010, 12:57 PM
ThaDevilGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Milles View Post
Auld is bald.

/thread
He's big, he's bald, he's Auld!

Old
07-29-2010, 01:27 PM
11Goat11
Inside her

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalakRulz View Post
Halak was great all season long, not just the playoffs!!!! Without Halak, the Habs finish about 13th in the conference and miss the playoffs all together because Price couldn't win a game last year when the team needed him to. Don't underrate Halak and overrate Price. Price has done NOTHING yet in his career to make me think he's a capable #1 goalie. He was wrongfully handed the #1 job and he lost it because he couldn't handle the pressure or play consistant hockey. Martin realized that and went with the goalie that got wins and played better. Price having a few good games means nothing to me!!!!

He was one of the best goalies in the league until he got hurt in 08/09 and came back too early for the all-star game, was never the same after that, then the team injuries started down the stretch.

Halak did have a lot of help in some games. If it wasn't for blocked shots and solid defensive play by the whole team, they likely wouldn't have won a few games in the playoffs.....but the bottom line is Halak was there when the team needed him to be....something Price has never done.

Except help lead his team to first place in the conference and shutout the Bruins in game 7 to advance to the second round. Yes he struggled a bit this year even though his numbers aren't terrible, let's get rid of him. We could have kept Halak but we needed money for Pleks, what are you gonna do?

And I'm not lecturing you on being biased. I chose the name HalakRulz because he is the better goalie between him and Price. Halak has always had success wherever he's played because hes a solid goalie, he has nerves of steel and he has a great style. I'm a goalie and I know how to recognize a good goaltender when I see one. I can see that Price has a ton of potential. He's a good goalie and he has a perfect frame for goalie, but its his conditioning and mental game that I worry about. He's shown how easily he gets rattled, he's shown how shaken up he gets after a goal and he's blamed his defence for a lot of those goals....something you shouldn't do.

Things that can be coached, size and talent cannot. Halak may be the better goalie right now but the sample size is too small to say it conclusively, and he is 2 years older. This year will go a long way in determining that.

I like Price and I plan to cheer for him if he gives us fans something to cheer about this upcoming season.....but just don't put all of your faith in a goalie that has gotten worse every season in the NHL since he joined. Halak is gone and nothing can change that....but Pierre Gaulthier made a huge mistake when he traded Halak instead of Price. Anybody with an ounce of hockey sense can see that!!!
It isn't all about the goalie, too many people pin the losses on Price and the victories on Halak and vice versa. Also Price played the bulk of his games where the team was decimated by injuries, that should have an effect on his numbers no? Halak had the benefit of playing out the end of the season and playoffs with nearly a full healthy roster, I'd like to see Price for an extended period under those circumstances as well. IMO I think the Habs are stronger today than they were last year, I'll go out on a limb and say we finish top 5 should we remain relatively healthy.

Old
07-29-2010, 01:48 PM
anctilndg

its a pretty scary duo, both these guys got 1 shutout in their last 100 games combined!!

Last time Auld got a shutout february 2009, price november 2008.

With the team we have we will rely on the goalies a lot not sure these guys are rdy to handle all the pressure and the stamina to endure the 40-50 shots every game.

Price has the chance to make amends and take this team on his shoulders, hes got no pressure from a #2. we all know Auld is at best a #2 and wont push for the #1 anytime soon. The team is not better than last years its pretty much the same, so goaltending will be the key to making the playoffs.

Halak set the bar very high and all eyes will be on the netminders, I think its a big risk, not that Price isnt good enough, but that we have no backup plan if he falters or gets injured its going to cripple are playoff hopes.

I hope Price is ready to be a #1 or else it will be a long season.

I wouldnt be suprised to see a 3rd goalie in the mix because of injuries, via trade or even desjardins or sanford could step up from hamilton to play a few games.

Old
07-29-2010, 04:31 PM
tinyzombies

Price can do the job. Whether he can take us to the next level like Halak did is another question. He did it at other levels, so we will see.

Old
07-29-2010, 04:41 PM
Marc BargainBin
only on playstation

Send a message via Skype™ to Marc BargainBin
I think they will be a solid pairing, i think auld gets too much hate, he was a very solid with New York, and even turco struggled in Dallas.
Even in Dallas He had nine wins and 6 losses- Lol 69

Old
07-29-2010, 05:17 PM
Pleky Roks

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Goat11 View Post
It isn't all about the goalie, too many people pin the losses on Price and the victories on Halak and vice versa. Also Price played the bulk of his games where the team was decimated by injuries, that should have an effect on his numbers no? Halak had the benefit of playing out the end of the season and playoffs with nearly a full healthy roster, I'd like to see Price for an extended period under those circumstances as well. IMO I think the Habs are stronger today than they were last year, I'll go out on a limb and say we finish top 5 should we remain relatively healthy.

Halak had to play with the same team in front of him that Price had all year long and Halak won games and Price didn't...so saying that Price had a weaker team in front of him more than Halak did is just plain wrong!!

Halak stole the #1 job from Price because he was more consistant. Yes, coming on the end of the season, Halak had everybody healthy and back in the lineup, but I seem to recall the team stuggling down the stretch no matter who was in net....but Halak was able to play more solid in his games than Price did and kept the starting role because of it.

If Price can play more consistant and if the team can stay healthy they may be able to finish higher than 8th place....but inconsistancy is Price's game and injuries happen so using that as the reason Price played poorly last year, doesn't hold much water in my eyes. Price is going to have to step up and play a bigger role.

There are a lot of "ifs" for this upcoming season. IF Price can play good, IF the team can stay healthy, IF Eller can be a full time NHLer, IF using young, unproven players instead of veterans like Moore and Metropolit works out. Honestly....I don't think we're a stronger team than we were last year and if the Habs are going to make the playoffs, guys like Price, Eller, Boyd and other bottom 6 players are going to have to step it up A LOT.

I'm a Habs fan and I will cheer for them no matter whos playing, but there are a lot of uncertainties and some players are going to have to improve if the Habs are gonna make the playoffs.

Last edited by Blind Gardien: 07-29-2010 at 05:50 PM. Reason: peace and love for all
Old
07-29-2010, 05:34 PM
Dr_Hook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
You're mistaking youthful inconsistency with being "soft behind the ears". Were Fleury, Stamkos, Luongo, Giguere, Pronger etc all "soft between the ears"?
I'm all for the "be patient, some guys take longer to come around" speech ; but do yourself a favor, don't include Stamkos in that list : his "youthful inconsistency" lasted all of 40 games, which was followed by instantly becoming 1 of the 3 most feared snipers in the NHL. He's not 21 yet and he scored 51 last year. Him and Price do not belong in the same conversation at this point.

Personnally, I think the Halak playoffs run and his subsequent trade puts Price in an awful tough spot in this crazy city and I don't think he'll be up for it at all. And btw, most guys in your list really thrived after being traded away from where they were drafted... just a thought.

Old
07-29-2010, 07:15 PM
habspinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max et Guillaume View Post
I feel like there are too many useless threads on this ridiculous subject
I just logged in to say I agree with this - good night everyone

oh...I voted best tandem in the league, so I'm part of the 2.44% - yay 2.44%

Old
07-29-2010, 08:58 PM
macavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaDevilGirl View Post
He's big, he's bald, he's Auld!
I laughed.

I honestly can't believe PG signed Auld. His sv % was horrible last yr as was his GAA.

I mean, we could have had Theodour for the same price at this point imo. I know theodour sucks but he's better than alex freakin auld. Heck I think Turco would have signed for the freakin million dollars that we paid to Alex Auld.

That was a complete waste of money imo.

Old
07-29-2010, 11:05 PM
habtastic

Of course this thread rife with personal opinion (as it's meant to be), but I have lots of faith in Price (and actually Auld for the limited load) - I just hope he gets the tools to get the job done. Jaro's feats will not soon be forgotten (although we now go "Theo who?", even though slightly different, but not as contrasting as most would think in terms of their feats), but I trust Price will rise to the occasion. Everyone counting us out again (and him as our achilles heel). Keeps getting us further.

Old
07-30-2010, 08:07 PM
eightyseven

Quote:
Price has done NOTHING yet in his career to make me think he's a capable #1 goalie. He was wrongfully handed the #1 job and he lost it because he couldn't handle the pressure or play consistent hockey. Martin realized that and went with the goalie that got wins and played better. Price having a few good games means nothing to me!!!!
Quote:
If Price can play more consistent and if the team can stay healthy they may be able to finish higher than 8th place....but inconsistancy is Price's game
The biggest reason why Carey Price was inconsistent this season was because he was basically coasting on raw talent alone. He left warm-ups early, was out of shape, etc. It wasn't until the end of January that he actually started to work hard in practice, spend extra time in the gym, etc. We saw how he can play when he improved his work ethic at the end of the season (see post-Olympic break) after Markov called him out. He can play at an elite level (0.920%) and he finally realized that he has to work harder to have success at the NHL level.

Old
07-30-2010, 08:52 PM
Dr_Hook

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightyseven View Post
The biggest reason why Carey Price was inconsistent this season was because he was basically coasting on raw talent alone. He left warm-ups early, was out of shape, etc. It wasn't until the end of January that he actually started to work hard in practice, spend extra time in the gym, etc. We saw how he can play when he improved his work ethic at the end of the season (see post-Olympic break) after Markov called him out. He can play at an elite level (0.920%) and he finally realized that he has to work harder to have success at the NHL level.
Better shape always help ; but the biggest difference at the end of the season is he was 2nd string : it's easy to back-up, tougher to be the guy counted on. Looking forward to see how he handles it now that he's a little more mature. I'm worried though...

Closed Thread