HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers Forum Lineup Thread - First Line Left Wing

View Poll Results: Who should be the First Line Left Wing?
Brandon Dubinsky 51 37.50%
Vinny Prospal 10 7.35%
Alexander Frolov 72 52.94%
Ryan Callahan 1 0.74%
Mats Zuccarello-Aasen 2 1.47%
Sean Avery 0 0%
Other (List Below) 0 0%
Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-05-2010, 01:49 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Rangers Forum Lineup Thread - First Line Left Wing

I've done this for 2 years now, no reason to stop.

Who should be the first line left winger. Obviously Torts changes the lines around, so just pick who YOU would put in that spot.

I'm going to pencil in the obvious ones, Staal, Gaborik, Biron and Lundqvist. The rest are up for grabs.

First Line Left Wing - First Line Center - Marian Gaborik (100%)
Second Line Left Wing - Second Line Center - Second Line Right Wing
Third Line Left Wing - Third Line Center - Third Line Right Wing
Fourth Line Left Wing - Fourth Line Center - Fourth Line Right Wing
Backup Forward

First Pairing Defenseman - Marc Staal (100%)
Second Pairing Defenseman - Second Pairing Defenseman
Third Pairing Defenseman - Third Pairing Defenseman

Henrik Lundqvist (100%)
Martin Biron (100%)

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 01:51 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

I went Brandon Dubinsky. I would put Frolov on the 2nd line to space out the scoring.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 01:55 AM
Panfork
Pacioretty Hater

Dubinsky has absolutely earned that spot with play last year. His scoring touch is really coming in nicely, and I think he deserves top minutes.

Panfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 01:57 AM
darko

Going with Frolov here. I would like to see Dubinsky-Anisimov on 2nd line.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 02:02 AM
t3hg00se

Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
Want the Top-6 to round off as

Dubinsky - Christensen - Gaborik
Frolov - Anisimov - MZA

t3hg00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 03:07 AM
AJRanger

I see them going with Frolov out of the gate, but I'd prefer him on the second line with Dubinsky on the top line.

AJRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 04:27 AM
Chimp

Dubinsky on the 1st? Really? Over Frolov, Prospal and MZA? I didn't see the step up in his game last season, to make him a legit 1st liner.

Dubinsky's passing game isn't good enough, the 1st line needs someone who can pass on LW. It's enough to have a fake #1 center. I have Dubi as 3rd LW, after Frolov and Prospal.

I voted Frolov, with Prospal as a 2nd choice. It's possible Frolov would work out better on a 2nd line with his puck possession skills, together with MZA. It's all up to who meshes best with Gaborik on LW, I would say.

I could see the work horse Prospal getting his old spot back due to chemistry, but I could also see either Frolov with his excellent puck possession and board work, or MZA with his excellent playmaking skills as legit choices. Anybody else, not so much.

My choice for top 6:
Frolov - Christensen/ White - Gaborik

Excellent board worker/ puck possession guy who has alot of skill. If White proves legit, give him a try, otherwise go with Christensen. Gabo is a given.

Prospal - Anisimov/ White - MZA

If Prospal isn't on the 1st line, he sure as hell should be on the 2nd. Excellent work horse, good defensively, good all round. If Anisimov doesn't disappoint, which I sadly expect, give him a go on 2nd. If White proves to still be a top 6 NHL:er, give him the spot and Anisimov the 4th line. MZA is a given on the 2nd RW for me.

Last edited by Chimp: 08-05-2010 at 04:34 AM.
Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 05:54 AM
twistedwrister17
Custom User Title

vCash: 1120
I went Dubi. It's probably better to spread the offence around most of the time. If we really need a goal then we move Frolov to the first line but only then.

twistedwrister17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 07:28 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

This may be a tad premature, Inferno - I think that Slats ain't done.

That said, I say Frolov on the first line, despite Dubi's success there last year. Given how AA stepped up his play knowing that there was a little sandpaper to back him up, I think the team would be better served with Dubi on his wing. Also, given Fro's board work, I think he'd be just as good if not a better fit with Gabby.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 07:33 AM
Evgeny Oliker

I really don't get the Dubinsky argument. He is a CENTER. Yes, he can play wing. But honestly, he is a lot better suited for the Center position. Why? Because he has:
size
powerful stride
gets to the net well
better passer than scorer

Those are all qualities of a Center!

Frolov also has size but he is more of a goal scorer. Frolov for 1st line LW, and it's not even close.

Evgeny Oliker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 07:33 AM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
I went Brandon Dubinsky. I would put Frolov on the 2nd line to space out the scoring.
I'm with you on that.

While Dubinsky has a long way to go to be a true and legit 1st line forward, I like his size and the game he plays and think that it's of the utmost importance to make sure that we spread the offense.

He made some strides last year, but he's no 1st line talent yet.

This makes more sense than having Frolov who we know is the better offensive player playing LW on the top line.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 07:52 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2forsbergaura1 View Post
I really don't get the Dubinsky argument. He is a CENTER. Yes, he can play wing. But honestly, he is a lot better suited for the Center position. Why? Because he has:
size
powerful stride
gets to the net well
better passer than scorer

Those are all qualities of a Center!

Frolov also has size but he is more of a goal scorer. Frolov for 1st line LW, and it's not even close.
Except that he was moved to LW last year, and responded by scoring 17 goals in his last 51 games. His game also translates to the wing. Those attributes you listed are what make him an excellent candidate to play wing, And, statistically, once he moved to wing, he had more goals than assists.

Last edited by jas: 08-05-2010 at 08:21 AM.
jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 08:09 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

dubi isnt a centerman. he doesnt think the game well enough to be a 1c.

hed be a fine 3c but a 1c he is not. his numbers support that as well.

with his game, hes better suited playing wing. he can crash the net, work the wall and transport the puck along the edge with more room to use his wheels. he wont do as well if he has to focus on the 2 way play required of a top pivot. making him a centerman againj means seeing more of dubi's famous 10 game invisible man routines.

let him bang and crash and work the opposite side of the ice as gaby. his game is better suited as a support guy rather than a go to guy. he does create space and gaby is the guy who benefits from that dirty work brandon does.

i like dubi prospal and gaby as a unit. 2 guys who carry the mail and one guy to stuff it.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 08:10 AM
pwoz

Frolov because he's the 2nd most talented winger on the team.

pwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 08:13 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
dubi isnt a centerman. he doesnt think the game well enough to be a 1c.

hed be a fine 3c but a 1c he is not. his numbers support that as well.

with his game, hes better suited playing wing. he can crash the net, work the wall and transport the puck along the edge with more room to use his wheels. he wont do as well if he has to focus on the 2 way play required of a top pivot. making him a centerman againj means seeing more of dubi's famous 10 game invisible man routines.

let him bang and crash and work the opposite side of the ice as gaby. his game is better suited as a support guy rather than a go to guy. he does create space and gaby is the guy who benefits from that dirty work brandon does.

i like dubi prospal and gaby as a unit. 2 guys who carry the mail and one guy to stuff it.
100% agreed on your analysis of Dubi, ODC. If he is to become the first line player we all hope to see, I really, really feel that it will be as a LW.

That said, despite his success with Gabby last year, I think he'd be better suited on AA's line (especially if MZA is playing the other wing) and Frolov would do equally well, if not better, with Gabby and EC/Prospal on the first line.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 08:58 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
I agree, Sadly Christiensen, White battle for the spot between Dubi and Gabby

Frolov on a second scoring line with Anisimov and I will go with MZA

Then Prospal, Drury, Callahan. Solid Defensively with potential to score

Banger line of Avery, Prust, Boogard................the loser of Christ and White sits/both make the team

Boyle is the odd man out at this pt but there could be a trade before the yr of course

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 09:00 AM
SouvenirCity

Went Dubinsky. Line played too well towards the end to really warrant breaking it up.

SouvenirCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 09:05 AM
Blazephr

shouldn't Staal be left d-man?

Blazephr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 09:29 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

i really think the point of not having frolov with gaby is to allow for something resembling balance with 2 lines that can score goals. i said can, not will...

a good case could be made that after gaby, fro is our 2nd best weapon. gaby can score his share without fro. we saw that last season.

2 lines at even strength that potentially can score is better for us as a team. i mean, if fro can score, we might even win a game or 2 when gaborik doesnt score.

fro and gabs will create plenty of magic on the pp.

keep em seperated at even strength.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 10:35 AM
Fitzy
Relative to what?

vCash: 50
I have

Prospal-Christensen-Gaborik
Frolov-Anisimov-MZA
Avery-Dubinsky-Callahan
Prust-Drury-Boogaard

as my lineup so I went Prospal. Doesnt look like the board agrees with me (shocker)

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 10:40 AM
Mr Bojanglez

i'm gonna play anyway. I can be unbiased here. I'd put Prospal.

Prospal - christensen - Gaborik
Frolov- Dubinsky - Callahan

Frolov makes his linemates better, who have been decent already and are poised to improve. 2-balanced scoring lines. No more solely attacking gaborik.

Mr Bojanglez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 10:47 AM
OverTheCap

Who should it be? Dubinsky. The Dubi-Christ-Gaborik line was pretty good last year, so I don't see why a good line should be broken up, especially with the chemistry problems on this team. As mentioned above, putting Frolov on line 2 evens out the scoring up and down the lineup.

What do I think will happen? Frolov will start out the season as 1st line LW but will eventually be moved to the 2nd line.

Looking at the top 6, it really seems like Prospal could be the odd man out (unless he plays 2nd line center). Which is not a bad thing at all. He is due for a down year, is coming off knee surgery, and is 35-years-old. Maybe if he gets less minutes on the 3rd line he won't struggle in the second half like he did last season. Prospal's at the point of his career where his minutes should be reducing... hard to believe there were some games early last season where he was logging well over 20 minutes per game.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 10:51 AM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Dubinsky....although I'm still upset we didn't flip him for Heatley and I don't think he'll ever reach the expectations put on him....I really think he deserves to be there

Dubi was lost as a center last year but seemed to really find his niche at left wingg. He is a bigger, stronger, faster version of Cally as a winger.

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 10:58 AM
broadwayblue

Considering we don't have a legit 1st line LW this spot is likely to change a bit during the season. As far as who should be given the first shot...good question. Since Frolov is more of a scoring threat than Dubi or Prospal perhaps he should be on a different line than Gaborik. Prospal is a better playmaker than Dubi...so maybe he's the answer. Then again we'll still likely have EC has 1st line center. The only thing I know is we really don't have much 1st line talent. lol

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 11:02 AM
kovazub94

Hi there, new to post on this site.

Just curious why did you start with the LW instead of center position? Probably makes sense since it's a stronger position on the Rangers.
The point is if you started with the center and Christensen won (very possible) then it almost guaranteed that Dubinsky would be 1LW over Frolov. It obviously works the other way now too, so if Frolov is voted over Dubinsky it almost guarantees that Christensen is NOT the first line center and it would be one of either Prospal or Anisimov.

kovazub94 is offline   Reply With Quote