HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tortorella: If Staal has no contract by training camp, he shouldn't be there(in tc)

Old
08-02-2010, 10:58 AM
ManicSubsidal15

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ManicSubsidal15
Anyone think that Erik Johnsons contract of 2 years 5.2M total helps bring down Staal's value?

ManicSubsidal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 11:03 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManicSubsidal15 View Post
Anyone think that Erik Johnsons contract of 2 years 5.2M total helps bring down Staal's value?
Not really. Staal can hold out for whatever he wants. If they were both arbitration cases it would be different.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 11:47 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
Boogaard is not and ?I repeat not going to be a Extra forward
I dont usually put too much creedence into the +/- stat, but when you take a look at Boogaard's -12 in 57 games last season, its astonishingly bad...especially when you consider he played just 6 minutes per game.

So, it sure would seem Boogaard would be better deployed when a division rival needs a shot in the mouth or something...but otherwise, I dont think its a very good idea to have a guy that cant play hockey play all 82 games.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 11:54 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
considering Johnson is just as good as a talent I hope so

Vitto79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 02:32 PM
ecemleafs

Has there been any rumors or reports of any teams trying to offer sheet Staal but with Staal refusing to sign one?

ecemleafs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 03:19 PM
pwoz

We're in a recession, Staal. Just take the 4.5m AAV and enjoy being a millionaire.

pwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 03:53 PM
GAGLine
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
It depends on what the Rangers were offering in the first 2 years. If the offer was for 6 years for something like 3m, 3.5m, 4m, 4.5m, 5m, 5.5m, then maybe the Rangers can point to EJ's deal and say look, you are getting more in your arbitration years than EJ is.

But I think the sticking point is more the number of years than the money. It will get done, one way or another. I just hope it's more than a 2 year deal. It will save us cap space in the latter years and we won't have to worry about him again so soon.

GAGLine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 06:59 PM
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwoz View Post
We're in a recession, Staal. Just take the 4.5m AAV and enjoy being a millionaire.
What's the point of a comment like that?

Does it make you feel better or something?

Typical naive sports fan attitude.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 07:08 PM
we want cup
Ants in the Pants

Quote:
I enjoyed this.

RANGERS =
we want cup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 07:18 PM
pwoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by robruckus View Post
What's the point of a comment like that?

Does it make you feel better or something?

Typical naive sports fan attitude.
It just irritates the hell out of me. A lower cap hit = he can have better teammates instead of taking a bigger chunk. I'm all about the free market, but we don't have that in the cap era. Just sign your *** contract, enjoy the money, and that's that.

pwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 07:34 PM
ruckus*

Quote:
It just irritates the hell out of me. A lower cap hit = he can have better teammates instead of taking a bigger chunk. I'm all about the free market, but we don't have that in the cap era. Just sign your *** contract, enjoy the money, and that's that.
There's so many variables though you're neglecting to look at. And it shouldn't be Staalsie's problem to worry about the cap. He's got a limited window of time to make his money, and not much else to fall back on at this point. Millions of dollars seems great. But when you're 23 and stop playing 15 years later and have health issues that might arise, that money can go fast.

The thing to get on Staal about is that he has no arb. rights at this point.

Trust me, the money bothers all of us that struggle to make ends meat. But at the same time we've got to keep things in perspective.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 09:14 PM
eco's bones

Staal in his 3 years has become the rock of our defense. The guy getting the most minutes and the toughest defensive assignments. He's slowly added some offense into the mix. While Redden is getting $6.5 mil, Rozsival $5 mil, Girardi well over $3 mil now. Even MDZ and Gilroy have been making substantially more money. So somehow I don't see him taking it on the chin for the good of the team when nobody else is--and that by the way is an example of what free market ideology is all about and is consistent with the direction the NHL is going. Not going to blame him for getting the best deal he can. Everyone else is.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 04:18 PM
Blazephr

how many more years is left on Staal's RFA status? he's due to be UFA 3 or 4 years?

Blazephr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 04:33 PM
GodsARangerFan

Quote:
There's so many variables though you're neglecting to look at. And it shouldn't be Staalsie's problem to worry about the cap. He's got a limited window of time to make his money, and not much else to fall back on at this point. Millions of dollars seems great. But when you're 23 and stop playing 15 years later and have health issues that might arise, that money can go fast.

Trust me, the money bothers all of us that struggle to make ends meat. But at the same time we've got to keep things in perspective.
Some people don't make 4.5 million dollars in their lifetime and ur telling me to "keep it in perspective", are you out of your mind? He has a limited amount of time to get his money, please. He's playing a childs game making more then triple or quadruple then the president of the united states. Think about things for a second

Last edited by GodsARangerFan: 08-05-2010 at 04:49 PM.
GodsARangerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 04:36 PM
dtrap

Send a message via AIM to dtrap
Quote:
Originally Posted by GodsARangerFan View Post
Some people don't make 4.5 million dollars in their lifetime and ur telling me to "keep it in perspective", are you out of your mind? He has a limited amount of time to get his money, please. His playing a childs game make more the triple or quadruple then the president of the united states. Think about things for a second
Thanks for saying exactly what I was thinking.

dtrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 04:38 PM
allstar3970

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodsARangerFan View Post
Some people don't make 4.5 million dollars in their lifetime and ur telling me to "keep it in perspective", are you out of your mind? He has a limited amount of time to get his money, please. His playing a childs game make more the triple or quadruple then the president of the united states. Think about things for a second
so the money that teams make should just be dropped down from the sky or held onto by the owners, or what? The players bring in money, thus they get compensated as such. That's capitalism my friend.

allstar3970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 04:44 PM
dtrap

Quote:
Originally Posted by allstar3970 View Post
so the money that teams make should just be dropped down from the sky or held onto by the owners, or what? The players bring in money, thus they get compensated as such. That's capitalism my friend.
It's still hard to tell someone barely making ends meat to keep a guy making 4.5 mil to play a game in perspective.

Just cause its capitalism doesn't mean its right.

Old
08-05-2010, 04:45 PM
GodsARangerFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrap View Post
It's still hard to tell someone barely making ends meat to keep a guy making 4.5 mil to play a game in perspective.

It sad to say but capitalism is a flawed system

GodsARangerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 04:49 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrap View Post

Got news for you...by going to games/buying merchandise/etc, we're the ones that are creating the environment for Staal to be asking for this type of money.

Kind of silly to turn around and then complain about it, no?

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 04:55 PM
dtrap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Got news for you...by going to games/buying merchandise/etc, we're the ones that are creating the environment for Staal to be asking for this type of money.

Kind of silly to turn around and then complain about it, no?
I'm not complaining...all I said was that it's kind of hard to expect someone barely paying their bills to just be ok with that fact that someone playing a game is worth 4.5 million a year. Hell I can pay my bills fine every month and I still sometimes marvel at how much pro athletes make.

I fully understand that when I buy a jersey or a game ticket I am creating that environment...trust me that fact isn't lost on me.

Old
08-05-2010, 04:56 PM
hpheikki

Quote:

If he earns on average "only" 4,000,000 a year for the next 15 years, he, his chlidren, grand children and so on.. will be set for life. So it is quite fair to say, take the money and enjoy it. Of course it would be nicer to have earned 80 million instead of the 60 million during his career. But you dont waste 60 millon very quickly...

hpheikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 05:10 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Hey, maybe if Staal asks very nicely to play for the league minimum, Dolan will reduce ticket prices!

Oh wait, the salary cap was going do that by lowering the owners' costs.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 05:12 PM
eco's bones

If we're going to apply a morality to what kind of compensation is fair over the broad range of the sports and entertainment fields, where should we start? Or why start with Marc Staal? There is no real morality behind any economic system on the face of the earth--they are all subject to greed and corruption. There is no fairness at all, never has been and never will be. The United States has a kind of corporate capitalism--a dog eat dog mentality that supposedly always rewards merit. Maybe that will change to something better in time but it's the reality now.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 05:54 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

One factor to consider that can work for and against Staal's asking price is his 2 brothers...

1) On one end, he could have some sibling rivalry going... While we can agree he'll never be worth Eric Staal money, his brother Jordan is making $4 mil a year right now... I wouldn't be surprised if he wants to trump that with his next contract, regardless of his current contract status (no player elected arbitration available and thus no leverage)

2) On the other hand, Staal's parents and extended family are probably already set for life, based on the $$$$ that Jordan and Eric are already making... You have to imagine that his parents have probably retired or can retire and that the families immediate financial meets are taken care of... So whatever money Staal is asking for, in large part, is probably going to him....

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 10:50 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
One factor to consider that can work for and against Staal's asking price is his 2 brothers...

1) On one end, he could have some sibling rivalry going... While we can agree he'll never be worth Eric Staal money, his brother Jordan is making $4 mil a year right now... I wouldn't be surprised if he wants to trump that with his next contract, regardless of his current contract status (no player elected arbitration available and thus no leverage)

2) On the other hand, Staal's parents and extended family are probably already set for life, based on the $$$$ that Jordan and Eric are already making... You have to imagine that his parents have probably retired or can retire and that the families immediate financial meets are taken care of... So whatever money Staal is asking for, in large part, is probably going to him....
If Staal's brothers are involved, it's probably not the amount of the contract that matters so much, but the length. Staal may want to play with his brother(s) and therefore is trying to get a shorter contract--one that takes to free agency--so he has more wiggle room earlier in his career.

It's also about respect--Staal is the best defenseman in the organization. I'm sure he wants the recognition that goes with the label.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote