HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Francois Beauchemin value?

Closed Thread

Old
05-26-2004, 07:58 PM
Reaper45

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Francois Beauchemin value?

Quick question for you guys.

What is the value of Francois Beauchemin? Is he an NHL caliber d-man? 5-6 guy?
Career AHL'er?

Old
05-26-2004, 08:01 PM
Mooch

Send a message via MSN to Mooch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45

Career AHL'er?
Hum, id say 50 bucks US

Just kidding, at this point id say hes worth nothing more than a second round pick max. His potential i a 5th or 6th D according too most people, so id say his value is low.

Old
05-26-2004, 08:03 PM
Dragon

He was exposed in the waiver draft last year if my memory serve me right.
That tells you his value.

Old
05-26-2004, 08:06 PM
Malakhov

Send a message via MSN to Malakhov
Garon was also exposed in the waiver draft, doesn't mean anything.

Old
05-26-2004, 08:09 PM
Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malakhov
Garon was also exposed in the waiver draft, doesn't mean anything.
Still ain't worth much more than a 5-6th rounder ... or another marginal prospect.

Old
05-26-2004, 08:10 PM
Ace2000

Send a message via ICQ to Ace2000
i see him as a steady,stay at home dman with some offensive upside but not much. Like an Eric Weinrich kinda guy.

Old
05-26-2004, 08:12 PM
Rahan

Goes to show you how many of you actually know something about our prospects, or have seen them play. Beauchemin is the best defenseman prospect we have after Komisarek, in term of development. Hainsey has a bigger upside, but that's another story. Beauchemin could be a 6th defenseman IMO, and could be a good one. I guess "montreal" doesn't post enough about Beauchemin for him to get any respect.

Old
05-26-2004, 08:12 PM
leafaholix*

At the absolute most, a 6th or 7th round pick.

Old
05-26-2004, 08:18 PM
Mooch

Send a message via MSN to Mooch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafaholix
At the absolute most, a 6th or 7th round pick.
Your probably right. I said 2nd, but when i think about it, if we got Kovalev for a 2nd + mid propect, how much is Beauchemin really worth??

I agree, 6th or 7th is probably right, at most a 5th.

Old
05-26-2004, 08:25 PM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45
Career AHL'er?
He's not worth anything in a trade, if that's what you mean. Every NHL team has one or two inexperienced fringe guys like that in the minors. Sometimes you can trade an *experienced* fringe guy for a late round pick, but guys like Beauchemin are free for the signing, free in the waiver draft every year, and basically only have the value of familiarity to the organisation they're with.

That shouldn't be taken as a knock on Beauchemin, though. He seems like a capable #8 guy, the sort of player who could step in and not embarrass himself if a couple of our NHL calibre defensemen were injured. I imagine that makes him a career AHL'er. I hope the Habs keep him around, though.

Old
05-26-2004, 08:25 PM
Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahan
Goes to show you how many of you actually know something about our prospects, or have seen them play. Beauchemin is the best defenseman prospect we have after Komisarek, in term of development. Hainsey has a bigger upside, but that's another story. Beauchemin could be a 6th defenseman IMO, and could be a good one. I guess "montreal" doesn't post enough about Beauchemin for him to get any respect.
Goes to show nothing. Beauchemin is likely to face waiver draft this year. If a team is interested they can just pick him up. That hurts his value. We're not talking about his upside but his current market value !

Old
05-26-2004, 09:10 PM
Habs

Quote:
Goes to show you how many of you actually know something about our prospects, or have seen them play. Beauchemin is the best defenseman prospect we have after Komisarek, in term of development.
This is more of a reflection of our defensive depth than Beauchemin's abilities. He will never see the NHL, unless its expansion. If he can't knock Bouillon from the NHL depth chart, he's done.

Old
05-26-2004, 09:47 PM
Russian Fan

Send a message via ICQ to Russian Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooch
Just kidding, at this point id say hes worth nothing more than a second round pick max. His potential i a 5th or 6th D according too most people, so id say his value is low.
Either you overvalue Beauchemin or you undervalue pick.

No way Beauchemin could get a 2nd round pick. I dont think he would even get a 4th round pick. If we get a 5th round pick for him, it's probably because the other got a need to fill.

-------------------------------------
aside of this, I find really hard to see Beauchemin as a #5-6 D in the future. He probably a #7 to fill with injuries & I think i'm pretty generous.

Old
05-26-2004, 09:51 PM
NewHabsEra*

Beauchemin has very little trade value for the only one reason he still is unknown... IMO he can be a nice #4 #5 defenseman in the NHL but will have to prove it!

Remember that any teams that claim a player on waiver must play him in the big club.. They cant return him in the minors without clear the waiver again.

Last edited by NewHabsEra*: 05-26-2004 at 09:54 PM.
Old
05-26-2004, 10:00 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russian Fan
Either you overvalue Beauchemin or you undervalue pick.

No way Beauchemin could get a 2nd round pick. I dont think he would even get a 4th round pick. If we get a 5th round pick for him, it's probably because the other got a need to fill.

-------------------------------------
aside of this, I find really hard to see Beauchemin as a #5-6 D in the future. He probably a #7 to fill with injuries & I think i'm pretty generous.
Well, althought I agree Beauchemin can't get us a 2nd round pick at the moment, I think you underrated him a big time... To me Beauchemin has everything to be a regular in the NHL and to become an effective #5 dmen for us...

Old
05-26-2004, 10:05 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:

Beauchemin isn't a prospect by HF standards, he's played in over 250 professional games (AHL/ECHL) and he's 24. But he's been the dogs top defensemen in the last 2 years, although he's only gotten to play in 1 game for the Habs, which is hard to figure since he's been solid in Hamilton.

For Beauchemin to be a 6th, he'll have to beat out Bouillon. I'd be all for it, but Julien seems to have a thing for the Cube. I'd love to see them rotate the 2 guys next year to see who does better, but I just dont see them doing that. Plus there's Hainsey, who seems to always have a good camp, so it's not going to be easy for Beauchemin to make the Habs.

Old
05-26-2004, 10:17 PM
saskhab

it's time the organization stops rewarding hainsey for his fast starts. it never lasts and he seems to drop his play and then gets sent to the minors. make him go to the minors and keep that work ethic up...

beauchemin should be our #7 next year. he's earned it by his play in hamilton the past two years.

beauchemin's upside seems to be a #5 or #6 d-man. hopefully a good one, but since he's only played 1 NHL game, it's hard to tell...

Old
05-26-2004, 10:19 PM
Russian Fan

Send a message via ICQ to Russian Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsArea
Well, althought I agree Beauchemin can't get us a 2nd round pick at the moment, I think you underrated him a big time... To me Beauchemin has everything to be a regular in the NHL and to become an effective #5 dmen for us...
maybe I underrate him, it's very possible. But sometimes I got the feeling that people think anyone can be a #5-6 in the NHL. Bouillon was a regular #5-6 this season because of our lack of depth at the D position & Bouillon IMO is not suppose to be a regular NHLer. I would classified him as a nice #7 to have.

And Beauchemin was not able to push him for a roster spot. He wasn't even close to do so.

Old
05-26-2004, 11:51 PM
Mathieu Lavergne
AKA Saku K.

Send a message via ICQ to Mathieu Lavergne
Beauchemin has ZERO value on the trade market. He was available on the waivers last year and he will probably be available this year and will not get picked up again.

And you want to know why? The answer is pretty simple:

To pick up a player at the waiver draft, you have to make one player available on your list, most of these players are proven nhlers and have a role on their respective teams. Why would they risk losing a good NHLer for a near 24-years old (June 4th is his birthday) who proved nothing? And if Beauchemin doesn't make the team he will rot in the stands or would be sent down and to be sent down, Beauchy would have to pass through the waivers again. Beauchemin is a great AHL defenceman no doubt about it, but there is plently of good AHL defencemans around the league. It would be pointless for most NHL team to pick up Beauchemin since they will either give a shot to their own prospects before or already have a top-6 or sometime a top-7 full of capable NHL defencemans and he has to pass through the waivers to be sent down anyway.

His upside is a #5 or #6 reaguard at best. Beauchemin needs an extended look in the NHL, he has nothing left to prove in the AHL. Time is running out on him, he will have to outplay Bouillon (and maybe Hainsey) or wish an injury to one of our Ds to get his shot. I believe he could provide more than the Cube in the long run. 24-years old with third pairing upside who proved nothing doesn't have any trade value, there is plently of players like him. He needs to make some noise at the NHL level if he wants any team to get interested in him.

Last edited by Mathieu Lavergne: 05-27-2004 at 12:25 AM.
Old
05-27-2004, 12:19 AM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskhab
it's time the organization stops rewarding hainsey for his fast starts.
Ummm... how has he been rewarded? He spent almost the entire year in the AHL.

Quote:
it never lasts and he seems to drop his play and then gets sent to the minors. make him go to the minors and keep that work ethic up...
That's where he has been. This organization has a few faults... rushing prospects certainly isn't one of them.

Old
05-27-2004, 03:22 AM
Marksman

Personally I'd like to see him given a chance to show what he can do with the big team. He seems to be in similar situation Robidas was - good enough to make the team, but logjam of defencemen in front of him. Maybe have him and Hainsey both with the team, splitting time, competing for that 6th spot on the D-corps? Even if Hainsey will eventually take the spot, Beauchemin could become nice 7th man for the team much like Bouillon now.

Speaking of Bouillon, I know many of you like him, hes feisty, but unfortunately 5-8 frame is not enough. Puck moving guys like Rafalski and Timonen can escape it, but someone who relies mostly on physical play does not, he will be caught in the playoffs at the latest. Also hes already turning 29 this year, not much future in him - Beachemin is 'old' but hes about five years younger.

Old
05-27-2004, 08:21 AM
zurg999

Quote:
maybe I underrate him, it's very possible. But sometimes I got the feeling that people think anyone can be a #5-6 in the NHL.
I think you make very good point. Having solid #5 and 6 D make a substantial difference on a team. Most teams do not have a franchise #1 D (insert Komi or Hainsey here please!!!), so the top 4 on a lot of teams are very comparable. A 5th and hopefully 6th guy who can legitimately fit a top 4 spot is a definite asset.

[/QUOTE] Bouillon was a regular #5-6 this season because of our lack of depth at the D position & Bouillon IMO is not suppose to be a regular NHLer. I would classified him as a nice #7 to have.[/QUOTE]

You did lose me a bit here, although I still agree. If there was one thing I was dissapointed in this past playoffs it was overall play from our D. Bouilion probably made less mistakes and contributed to moving the puck out more than any of the other guys. Rivet was better than OK. Souray had a terrible playoffs. Komi was exciting at time but marginal overall, his inexperience really showed at times. Brisebois was OK in his own end most of the time but did nothing creative. Markov alternated between brilliant and dumbstruck. If I had been picking the lineup based on play in the playoffs, Rivet and Boullion would have been the only ones in ink.

I'm not trying to stand up for Boullion, just saying we need steadier play from Souray, Rivet, Brisebois and Markov, and we need Komi and hopefully Hainsey to progress before Boullion is pushed aside.

[/QUOTE]And Beauchemin was not able to push him for a roster spot. He wasn't even close to do so.[/QUOTE]

It was a just a matter of numbers. IMO if Quintal retires, and we have injuries or if Hainsey tanks, Beauchemin will get a real shot, otherwise he will be odd man out again.

Old
05-27-2004, 11:53 AM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
maybe I underrate him, it's very possible. But sometimes I got the feeling that people think anyone can be a #5-6 in the NHL. Bouillon was a regular #5-6 this season because of our lack of depth at the D position & Bouillon IMO is not suppose to be a regular NHLer. I would classified him as a nice #7 to have.

And Beauchemin was not able to push him for a roster spot. He wasn't even close to do so.
Well, Is Mentador a #7 defenseman? Is Commodor a #7 defenseman?

All what I know is that Bouilloin has been a very reliable and effective defenseman for us this year regardless his size!

Maybe Bouillon does'nt have the upside and offensive skills Hainsey has, but at least he found a way to be useful and help us to win!

Now, will Bouillon play with as much passion and determination in the years to come as he did this year? Its questionnable but at the moment, he is head and shoulder above of Hainsey in the depth chart even if he only is 5"8!

To play in the NHL as a defenseman, you absoluly have to be reliable and effective defensively, you have to be gritty and win your fights along the board... Hainsey was the worst defenseman in those areas with the Bulldogs last season... He still did'nt ajust to the AHL speed, dont expect he will at the NHL level!

As for Beauchemin, think Bouillon's competitor mind with a better reach and better offensive skills.. He obviously is very underrated here on HF!

Beauchemin will be a #4 #5 defenseman in the NHL.

Last edited by NewHabsEra*: 05-27-2004 at 11:57 AM.
Old
05-27-2004, 12:27 PM
Marchy79

Next year I hope he makes the squad as the # 7 man. He plays a good 2 way game, and has been in every situation (other than winning the whole thing) in the minors. He has been an excellent defenceman for Hamilton this year (rated as the top d-man they had this year)... He is ready by all accounts, His game has little to no holes in it, and to be truthful, I don't want to lose him in the wiaver wire next season... He will top out at # 4-5 IMO, but spending next year with us would be great.. .He can play both sides pretty well, and is sound defensively... Considered a good 2 way defenceman... But I think he's more of a defensive defenceman with a brain (kinda like bubbles) and does NOT get taken advantage of

Old
05-27-2004, 01:12 PM
Darz

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskhab
it's time the organization stops rewarding hainsey for his fast starts. it never lasts and he seems to drop his play and then gets sent to the minors. make him go to the minors and keep that work ethic up...
The problem is next year Hainsey would have to clear waivers for us to put him in Hamilton, and I would assume there are at least a few teams out there that would jump on grabbing him off the waiver wire.

Closed Thread